Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 26th April 2010, 21:40   #7961  |  Link
iSeries

Hi SoniG - yes 'do not re-encode AC3' is checked, and 'Use 448kbps' is unchecked. The demuxed core is 640kbps, and it re-encoded again to 640kbps (and came out a few bytes bigger).
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 22:18   #7962  |  Link
Moviewatcher666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9020V View Post
The discs work in my PC, but it's just those recent 3 titles. All the other backups I've made that worked in the past still work. I tried those titles on different media, and same problem, so I don't think it's the media. This issue seems to have started occurring after I updated my firmware in the PS3 a few weeks ago. When I do a movie backup only, the movies work. Where can I find out more about the PS3 problem? I am curious to see if others are experiencing the same thing I am.
Do a search for PS3BDFix. It is a small executable program that sets the copy protection bit off. I had some movies that did not work on a PS3 while others did. When I used PS3BDFix on the MT2S files, the BD movies then worked. I did BD25 full disk copies Region A.

Just to be clear, don't throw out your existing copies. Copy the rips back to your harddrive, use the PS3BDFix program and then burn back to a new disk. This worked for me!

Let me know how it works.

Moviewatcher666
Moviewatcher666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 22:59   #7963  |  Link
chudm

jdobbs is there any way to convert dts hd to ac3? cause when bdrebuilder convert dts hd to regular dts, its still to big for dvd5/dvd9...

i saw the problem...:

[17:09:49] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [17:09:49] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
- ERROR in attempt to reencode audio (AFTEN) [AUD_00001__4352.AVS]
chudm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 00:20   #7964  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudm View Post
jdobbs is there any way to convert dts hd to ac3? cause when bdrebuilder convert dts hd to regular dts, its still to big for dvd5/dvd9...

i saw the problem...:

[17:09:49] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [17:09:49] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
- ERROR in attempt to reencode audio (AFTEN) [AUD_00001__4352.AVS]
Yes. It should do it now. The fix I added to v0.33.06 should stop the error you reported. Just make sure you don't have "Do not convert DTS to AC3" checked in the SETUP dialog.

Last edited by jdobbs; 27th April 2010 at 00:22.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 00:49   #7965  |  Link
brento

Hey,
I bought The Hurt Locker on blu-ray, and tried to back it up to a DVD-5 using BDRebuilder.
I get through the encoding phase no problem, but when I get to the reencoding phase, i get an error "X264.exe has stopped working" and the shrinking process is aborted.

Quote:
[14:31:47] BD Rebuilder v0.33.05 (beta)
- Source: HURT_LOCKER_NA
- Input BD size: 35.13 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:10:39.832]
- Target BD size: 4.27 GB
- Windows Version: 6.0 [6001]
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Audio Settings: AC3=1 DTS=1 HD=0 Kbs=640
- Resuming from previously started job.
[14:31:51] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [14:31:51] Reencoding: VID_00001 (1 of 1)
- [14:31:51] Collecting video information
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 187,968 frames
- Bitrate: 3,574 Kbs
- [14:31:51] Reencoding: VID_00001, Pass 1 of 2
- Encode failed. Retrying.
- Reached retry limit. Aborting.
- BD-Rebuilder v0.33.05 (beta)
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.7.0, Ok
[14:31:55] - Failed video encode, aborted
any help would be much appreciated
brento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 01:39   #7966  |  Link
SoniG

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi SoniG - yes 'do not re-encode AC3' is checked, and 'Use 448kbps' is unchecked. The demuxed core is 640kbps, and it re-encoded again to 640kbps (and came out a few bytes bigger).
Ok I had a look at a WORKFILES folder and I think the process is due to the audio amplification of the AC3 files. It should not be really a re-encode but more a gain volume process. You can remove this step by adding 'AUDIO_AMPLIFY=1' in BDREBUILDER.INI. It does not mean it will amplify the sound, it means it will let it at x1.

For info to jdobbs, in fact AC3 encoding that is an acoustic compression algorithm is especially normalized to a -6db level. This normality sound level is due to the decode=>compress/expand sound signal that characterize this kind of format. It's an audio level normality defined by Dolby that all receivers recognize and use to process the signal. It is used for example in the LFE or CENTER compression processed independently of the other channels. In amplifying the AC3 signal by 1.2, you would prevent some audio receivers to manage the sound compression efficiently in reducing the margin of action and even some time causing overdrives and distortions. So yes the sound is higher and nearer to 0db, but despite the specific AC3 acoustic compression management.

Last edited by SoniG; 27th April 2010 at 02:16.
SoniG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 02:18   #7967  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brento View Post
Hey,
I bought The Hurt Locker on blu-ray, and tried to back it up to a DVD-5 using BDRebuilder.
I get through the encoding phase no problem, but when I get to the reencoding phase, i get an error "X264.exe has stopped working" and the shrinking process is aborted.

any help would be much appreciated
So where are the rest of the reported settings that are shown after a failed encode? Did you edit them out before posting the log?

Also -- use the newest version.
Old 27th April 2010, 02:25   #7968  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoniG View Post
For info to jdobbs, in fact AC3 encoding that is an acoustic compression algorithm is especially normalized to a -6db level. This normality sound level is due to the decode=>compress/expand sound signal that characterize this kind of format. It's an audio level normality defined by Dolby that all receivers recognize and use to process the signal. It is used for example in the LFE or CENTER compression processed independently of the other channels. In amplifying the AC3 signal by 1.2, you would prevent some audio receivers to manage the sound compression efficiently in reducing the margin of action and even some time causing overdrives and distortions. So yes the sound is higher and nearer to 0db, but despite the specific AC3 acoustic compression management.
I understand how Dolby works very well. I add the amplification because to my ears it sounds better and I don't have to keep worrying about volume. The authors use lower volume because it gives them a greater dynamic range. All channels are amplified equally, so if there is a negative gain difference between the LFE or CENTER and other channels -- it would still be there. In hundreds of encodes I have never experience high-volume clipping or distortion.

MHO: They just set the volume too low to impress their friends with their "greater dynamic range".

But, anyone who doesn't want to amplify can very easily change it to no amplification with the hidden command AUDIO_AMPLIFY=1.

Last edited by jdobbs; 27th April 2010 at 02:32.
Old 27th April 2010, 02:26   #7969  |  Link
pilot550

There are a lot of posts here. I've read through a bunch of them but there is no way for me to get through them all. So if someone would please indulge me.

I am trying to make a full backup, not movie only, of a Blu-ray onto a standard DVD (DVD-9 or DVD-5) to play on my PS3 which has firmware 3.30 on it. I am using BD Rebuilder 0.33.06 beta. Right now everything I have tried keeps resulting in my PS3 seeing my DVD as a data disc. Even if I use AVCHD Patcher 1.06. From reading these forums my key problem seems to be my desire for a full backup with menu's, special features and everything else burned onto a standard DVD. So right now it is not possible to do this in a way which is PS3 compatible. Is that correct?
pilot550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 02:37   #7970  |  Link
Rob_G

I'm not sure what has changed, but lately almost all my 2 pass attempts fail when starting the second pass. X264 cannot seem to load the stats file created from the first pass.

I think something changed in anydvd to cause this. Even dvdfab cannot re-ecode the video. I can do a 1 pass CBR with bdrebuilder that is successful though.

I'm running a fresh xp image in virtualbox with 2 processors and 512MB memory assigned to it.

Rob
Rob_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 02:52   #7971  |  Link
brento

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
So where are the rest of the reported settings that are shown after a failed encode? Did you edit them out before posting the log?

Also -- use the newest version.
Quote:
-----------------------
[21:23:17] BD Rebuilder v0.33.06 (beta)
- Source: HURT_LOCKER_NA
- Input BD size: 35.13 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:10:39.832]
- Target BD size: 4.27 GB
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Audio Settings: AC3=1 DTS=1 HD=0 Kbs=640
[21:23:20] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [21:23:20] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
- [21:52:00] Reencoding: VID_00001 (1 of 1)
- [21:52:00] Collecting video information
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 187,968 frames
- Bitrate: 3,574 Kbs
- [21:52:00] Reencoding: VID_00001, Pass 1 of 2
- Reached retry limit. Aborting.
- BD-Rebuilder v0.33.06 (beta)
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.7.0, Ok
[21:52:12] - Failed video encode, aborted
this is the complete log.
still get the x264.exe error in the newest version. any ideas? thanks
brento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 03:14   #7972  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brento View Post
this is the complete log.
still get the x264.exe error in the newest version. any ideas? thanks
There should be a whole lot more after the AVISYNTH 2.5.7.0, Ok line. It should say whether HAALI is installed correctly, and the same for FFDSHOW and all the other support apps.

I just looked at the code -- and it can't output a log with a video encode error without those things...

Last edited by jdobbs; 27th April 2010 at 03:51.
Old 27th April 2010, 03:31   #7973  |  Link
SoniG

jdobbs : Yeah that's what I was trying to explain. Anyway, when we set AUDIO_AMPLIFY=1, it should be well to remove the command line from AVS files instead of process it as 1. And I don't understand ConvertAudioTo16bit(ResampleAudio(audio, 48000)), is it not already the specs of the original AC3 tracks?
Old 27th April 2010, 03:48   #7974  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
jdobbs : Yeah that's what I was trying to explain. Anyway, when we set AUDIO_AMPLIFY=1, it should be well to remove the command line from AVS files instead of process it as 1. And I don't understand ConvertAudioTo16bit(ResampleAudio(audio, 48000)), is it not already the specs of the original AC3 tracks?
The original may not necessarily be AC3. Also, blu-ray supports 96Khz and 192Khz sample rates and 20 & 24 bit samples. I added that because I'd gotten bug reports where AFTEN was failing in it's attempt to reencode a source with a 96Khz sample rate.

Last edited by jdobbs; 27th April 2010 at 03:50.
Old 27th April 2010, 05:03   #7975  |  Link
8ternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
I have a PS3 with 3.30 f/w. I've recently used BD RB 0.33.05 to back up The Young Victoria (movie only) to BD-25. No problems. I did a 1:1 backup of Avatar to BD-R DL. So the main menu, scene selector and movie. Plays fine. I dont usually backup extras, just the movie, but I haven't had any problems with playback. Watched a DVD I backed up 3 years ago with just DVDfab - menus, movie, extras - no problems. I've heard some people on another forum lament the memorex and ridata BD's go bad after several months. I haven't experienced that myself.

Z
Personnally i was talking about the FULL DISC and not MOVIE ONLY. I've read that with some posts because they where talking about BD-R 25GB full disc backup. I have personally tested 10 minutes on a PS3, but my brother took me one movie to test it and he was reported to be that the movie is freezing sometimes (2-4 times) in his Ps3. Also i was burning in 2X the lower than i can. I have listen the hole movie in my bluray sony bdps250 reader and it played fine.

I just would like to know if someone else here has tester full backup with bd rebuilder in BD-R 25GB and movies played fine because i was planning to purchass an Ps3.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 27th April 2010, 05:41   #7976  |  Link
8ternity

Question:

When resuming an project; did the video encoded when it has beem resumed can be corrupt? Did we have an option to restart from the begining the encoding the current batch filename?

I have resumed an project and i would like to must be sure that the resumed file (main movie) will be good.

Old 27th April 2010, 06:03   #7977  |  Link
SoniG

8ternity : No worry, backup is always resumed in restarting the last pass/track process. No corrupt possible. Even if you modify an important thing in the setup, then the present backup is cancelled and restarted from the beginning. However in pure batch layout, I didn't test it yet but you can watch what it's done in the log tab.

jdobbs : Mmh I understand, I suspected it was again for a compliancy purpose. I don't know if amplify or changing a sample rate with the same value degrade in some way the original track, even a bit, but eventually, one day, it would be nice for standard AC3/DTS tracks to just be demuxed/remuxed without any process, but I'm sure you already thought about it.

Last edited by SoniG; 27th April 2010 at 06:21.
Old 27th April 2010, 06:09   #7978  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ternity View Post
Question:

When resuming an project; did the video encoded when it has beem resumed can be corrupt? Did we have an option to restart from the begining the encoding the current batch filename?

I have resumed an project and i would like to must be sure that the resumed file (main movie) will be good.

It should be good. BD-RB keeps track of where it was when you stopped. But if you want to start over, just say "No" to the "Resume" prompt.
Old 27th April 2010, 06:10   #7979  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
jdobbs : Mmh I understand, I suspected it was again for a compliancy purpose. I don't know if amplify or changing a sample rate with the same value degrade in some way the original track, even a bit, but eventually, one day, it would be nice for standard AC3/DTS tracks to just be demuxed/remuxed without any process, but I'm sure you already thought about it.
They should be now. If you tell it not to reecode them, then you will get the original. If it is BD-5/9 you will get the core (because HD is too big). But since I got a bug report on it, I'll go back and check just to be sure, the original code has changed a lot since I added that feature.

BD-RB will create the AVS file either way (in case someone changes the option and the "resumes") -- but it doesn't necessarily use it. It's the same with encoding. It is possible that the AC3 encoding is done, but the original (core) is multiplexed. But, as I said, I'll go back and look.

Also, if it is movie-only and is going to BD-5/9, you're not supposed to keep DTS because DTS is not supported by AVCHD. I have a hidden option, though, that will allow you to override that -- but I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by jdobbs; 27th April 2010 at 06:23.
Old 27th April 2010, 07:24   #7980  |  Link
SoniG

jdobbs : I never use any BD9/AVCHD settings, I just try to reduce original BD size in using the best quality possible to archive and play from a server. And just for this, I'm really grateful your software exists, and I think it is the most advanced. I always try to have a 10-12000 Kbps bitrate for the main movie video track and just remove the HD audio in keeping core or original AC3/DTS tracks. However I noticed these commands on the AVS in normally standard AC3 files. But I hear you about the fact you don't always use them. Pity... bad for me! By the way, did you have a look at my Batman Returns bonus sample?

Last edited by SoniG; 27th April 2010 at 07:53.