Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st November 2015, 21:01   #34341  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
DXVA2 CB doesn't let the GPU stay in maximum clock state, CUVID does (but that doesn't mean it would be faster).
didn't say that was how i did it, i have a profile in the nvidia control panel for mpc-hc, so as soon as mpc-hc launches, it goes to full power.

could be the old driver i'm running? 353? i'm installing 359 now, hopefully that helps

Last edited by truexfan81; 21st November 2015 at 23:22.
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 23:28   #34342  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by truexfan81 View Post
v0.89.17 according to the settings SS attached
I am able to run sharpen edges on a GTS 450. Try switching to Ordered dithering.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 23:33   #34343  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I am able to run sharpen edges on a GTS 450. Try switching to Ordered dithering.
already using Ordered dithering

edit even with latest driver, its the same, cannot use the new algos, gpu usage jumps from 45% up to 100% as soon as i activate any of them. Adaptive Sharpen does not have that problem.

Last edited by truexfan81; 21st November 2015 at 23:37.
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 05:54   #34344  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
this works fine for me.
Can you try this and confirm if it works for you:

1. Play a 0% white video clip (you may even use the black borders of a blu ray movie for this test)
2. Force “Source levels: PC” using shortcut keys
3. Now set Black level -16 using shortcut key

If you get the final Black level as 0 then sure it works for you. I get the final level as 1 (and this is due to no change in Black level when going from -8 to -9).

Last edited by omarank; 22nd November 2015 at 05:57.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 06:17   #34345  |  Link
huhn

every step looks totally different but -16 isn't even close to reference black 16. i can still see bar 11 and a little bit of bar 10.

using using AVS bt 709 1-black clipping with PC levels
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 08:59   #34346  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Hello!

I have been a long time reader, and I own an Acer Laptop, with a i7-4th generation and a gtx860m video card.

Nvidia drivers are a mess, I jst reinstalled windows and I get crashes with every time I open madVR (using MPC HC + internal LAV + madvr).

After the first crash, everything works fine, but I cannot save profiles from NVinspector, to make MPC-HC use madvr, meaning I have to set the behaviour every time I restart.

Also, about edge thinning, the algorythm is superb, I can watch even SD videos in FHD and they don't have aliasing anymore, and look sharp, but edge thinning enabled in both post processing and upscaling refinement and set to 4 in both creates some artifacts. More exactly, it will make some places thicker, and create some waving. It is especially visible with Anime materials, it is not visible (until now) with movies.

Anyone knows how I can solve this problem?
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 09:14   #34347  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Anyone knows how I can solve this problem?
Don't set it to 4. I suspect madshi might look at some of the maximum values in the next version or two.

Last edited by ryrynz; 22nd November 2015 at 09:17.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 14:01   #34348  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Don't set it to 4. I suspect madshi might look at some of the maximum values in the next version or two.
I am more concerned on what settings to set on my NVinspector, and how to remedy my video driver problems, because I am fine with 99% videos even with edge thinning set to 4. (I thought that the algorythms could be a little more optimized, as I can run fallout4 on fullhd, most settings to max, but I am unable to run more than jinc on chroma upsampling, and 4Xedge thinning, and still I get ocasional frame drops on video playback.

I watch some videos got from amvnews.ru, and some of them are probably badly encoded, and this is what causes the frame drops, so no big sweat, but Optimus really breaks my fun , erasing my settings, and making me have to re-set settings through Nvidia Inspector every single time I restart..

Also , I became curious on what the differences between NEEDI3 and jinc chroma upsampling are? I mean, I am unable to see any, but anyone has any examples?

Last edited by Georgel; 22nd November 2015 at 14:09.
Old 22nd November 2015, 14:49   #34349  |  Link
YxP

Georgel,

If you get crashes, you might want to disable any overclocking for starters. Also, there is no need to max out madvr settings, bigger is not necessarily better. Especially on sharpening algos. For example, I'd consider any picture destroyed at strength 4. There are chroma upscaling comparisons somewhere in this thread, but I can't find them right now so you just have to take my word - chroma upscaling is less important than luma and if you can run jinc for chroma you are totally fine and maybe even that is an overkill. I use bilateral.

Did quick google search and found this page, maybe it will give you some sense how big or small of an effect chroma upscaling has http://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR_Chrom..._Image_Quality

Last edited by YxP; 22nd November 2015 at 14:57.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 16:08   #34350  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by YxP View Post
Did quick google search and found this page, maybe it will give you some sense how big or small of an effect chroma upscaling has http://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR_Chrom..._Image_Quality
It is uncontroversial that chroma scaling hardly has an effect on 99% of filmed content.
However, the difference can be quite noticeable with artifical content like found in news broadcasts (sometimes they can appear in some way in movies), emblems, cartoons or video game captures.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 17:34   #34351  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YxP View Post
Georgel,

If you get crashes, you might want to disable any overclocking for starters. Also, there is no need to max out madvr settings, bigger is not necessarily better. Especially on sharpening algos. For example, I'd consider any picture destroyed at strength 4. There are chroma upscaling comparisons somewhere in this thread, but I can't find them right now so you just have to take my word - chroma upscaling is less important than luma and if you can run jinc for chroma you are totally fine and maybe even that is an overkill. I use bilateral.

Thanks, I had seen that particular page, and it did not seem to me that there were many differences either.

I have no overclocking on, and I use NVinspector, not to overclock but to enable MPC-HC in optimus to use my Nvidia GPU (without manually using NVinspector, MPC-HC is forced to run on intel gpu, and this includes madvr).

I had a discussion with Nvidia, and it seems they make the hardest efforts possible to disable people from using Nvidia Gpu for video playback, because it consumes more power this way.

My scaling algorithms page looks like this:

Chroma Upscaling
Image downscaling
image doubling
image upscaling
upscaling refinement.

I do not know where luma upscaling is?

I mainly watch anime, and it shows visible differences between bucubic and jinc, but no differences between needi3 and jinc (maybe I do not pay attention to what I should?)

I solved the crashing problem by reinstalling video drivers (Nvidia is really bad at making drivers, even more when you consider that they know that the gtx 800 series has problems, but nobody from them does not care to fix this )

I am already posing myself with the general question of if I should get a laptop that has a gtx980 inside or wait for pascal release, as my gtx860m does not cut it for all my games nor I cannot set all options on highest setting in madVR (I am spending about 40% of my time watching anime).

Any opinion and advice is very welcome!
Old 22nd November 2015, 22:11   #34352  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Thanks, I had seen that particular page, and it did not seem to me that there were many differences either.

I have no overclocking on, and I use NVinspector, not to overclock but to enable MPC-HC in optimus to use my Nvidia GPU (without manually using NVinspector, MPC-HC is forced to run on intel gpu, and this includes madvr).

I had a discussion with Nvidia, and it seems they make the hardest efforts possible to disable people from using Nvidia Gpu for video playback, because it consumes more power this way.

Chroma Upscaling
Image downscaling
image doubling
image upscaling
upscaling refinement.

I mainly watch anime, and it shows visible differences between bucubic and jinc, but no differences between needi3 and jinc (maybe I do not pay attention to what I should?)

I solved the crashing problem by reinstalling video drivers (Nvidia is really bad at making drivers, even more when you consider that they know that the gtx 800 series has problems, but nobody from them does not care to fix this )

I am already posing myself with the general question of if I should get a laptop that has a gtx980 inside or wait for pascal release, as my gtx860m does not cut it for all my games nor I cannot set all options on highest setting in madVR (I am spending about 40% of my time watching anime).

Image upscaling scales both the luma and chroma channels after the subsampled chroma is upscaled to match the native luma resolution (after chroma upscaling).
Old 22nd November 2015, 22:18   #34353  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:

Chroma Upscaling
Image downscaling
image doubling
image upscaling
upscaling refinement.

I put together this thread at AVSForum as a resource for set-up information: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...rt-thread.html.
Old 23rd November 2015, 00:15   #34354  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
What stuttering do you mean ? I had stuttering fixed it using PreRender 3 in Nvidia Control Panel and Madvr PreRender 4
nope, stuttering here appears when using clone mode and 2 monitors
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:52   #34355  |  Link
chros

Quote:
TI have no overclocking on, and I use NVinspector, not to overclock but to enable MPC-HC in optimus to use my Nvidia GPU (without manually using NVinspector, MPC-HC is forced to run on intel gpu, and this includes madvr).
Don't you have an option in nvidia control panel where you can set the internal and external GPU per application? (I have optimus system as well, although it's older than yours, see my signature for details).
If you have then you don't have to use nvidiainspector for this: there you can assign nvidia GPU to mpc-hc, but at first:
you have to rename the 'mpc-hc.exe' to e.g. 'game32.exe' or 'game64.exe'. Then it should work!
I'm still using nvidiainspector, but only for 1 purpose: underclocking the nvidia gpu.

Quote:
Since you have more powerful system than me, I vote for waiting for the new Pascal gpus (although we have to wait around 1 more year for that or more).
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:44   #34356  |  Link
a8213711

How can I let the TV do the upscale but still use madVR for the rest?

Also can I ask:
What should I do moving to the x64 version (I have MPC-HC, madVR, XySubFilter)?
Uninstall first the x86? If I don't, I will have 2 separate programs?
How can I retain the settings of the 3 applications I have?

Thank you.
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:23   #34357  |  Link
RyuzakiL

Windows 10 TH2 + AMD + Madvr

Does Madvr now, runs properly on Windows 10 TH2 + AMD GPU?
RyuzakiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:29   #34358  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Don't you have an option in nvidia control panel where you can set the internal and external GPU per application? (I have optimus system as well, although it's older than yours, see my signature for details).
If you have then you don't have to use nvidiainspector for this: there you can assign nvidia GPU to mpc-hc, but at first:
you have to rename the 'mpc-hc.exe' to e.g. 'game32.exe' or 'game64.exe'. Then it should work!
I'm still using nvidiainspector, but only for 1 purpose: underclocking the nvidia gpu.

Since you have more powerful system than me, I vote for waiting for the new Pascal gpus (although we have to wait around 1 more year for that or more).

Thanks a lot!

This was a lifesaver! You do not know how many times it was such a hassle to have to use NVinspector to set mpc-hc to play with GTX860m.

Another question. I get a crash every time I open MPC-hc + madVR and get to fullscreen. It only happens the first time I go fullscreen after restart, or after not using the program for a long time.

I have no overclocking, no mods, and only the basic driver as it came from my laptop's maker. I guess that it would solve itself if I reinstall MPC-HC and madvr, or reinstall windows or reinstall Nvidia driver... But I am really curious why this happens.
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:35   #34359  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
How can I let the TV do the upscale but still use madVR for the rest?
You have to set it to lower resolution than its native resolution. (e.g. set to 1280xxxx on a 1920x1080 tv.)
But why do you want to do that? Do you have an old/slow gpu?

Quote:
What should I do moving to the x64 version (I have MPC-HC, madVR, XySubFilter)?
Uninstall first the x86? If I don't, I will have 2 separate programs?
You don't have to uninstall them, just "install" the x64 flavors as well. E.g. Copy the mpc-hc x64 files into a different directory, then make it default if you like. MadVR automatically register the x64 filter. (I don't know about XySubFilter.) Then you can use both the x32 and x64 if you like (can be good if something isn't working well on one of them).

Quote:
How can I retain the settings of the 3 applications I have?
MPC-HC and MadVR use the same settings from the registry (if you didn't specify to store/read settings from ini or bin (in case of madvr) file).
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:40   #34360  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Thanks a lot!
This was a lifesaver! You do not know how many times it was such a hassle to have to use NVinspector to set mpc-hc to play with GTX860m.
I'm glad it worked! It was strange for me at the first time as well.
Quote:
Another question. I get a crash every time I open MPC-hc + madVR and get to fullscreen. It only happens the first time I go fullscreen after restart, or after not using the program for a long time.
I haven't experienced anything like this before. Create a crash report, and upload it somewhere for Madshi, maybe he can figure out something from it.
Isn't there any stuck mpc-hc/madvr processes? Take a look in the process list in Windows.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling