Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 4th October 2019, 18:34   #1041  |  Link
Patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Thanks, I think it's too large to include by default.
If someone want to use this option you can add a link to download the nppi64_10.dll.
Old 4th October 2019, 19:08   #1042  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Please re-check, if you check 'Constant Quality Mode' then you should see --vbrhq 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
Stax is right on this.
Yes of course, you are both right!

I had VBR Quality at the default value of 0 which doesn't appear in the command line box and when I selected Constant Quality Mode, I saw only that it's just added at the end as --vbr-quality 0, but at the same time --vbrhq value changes to --vbrhq 0 as JKyle posted.

The parameter --vbrhq 0 becomes bold when you select 'Constant Quality Mode' and it's easier to see it, when there is a value to --vbr-quality and not leave it to the default 0.

Still, that mode 'Constant Quality Mode' shouldn't be shown when --vbr is selected but only for --vbrhq, I think.
Old 4th October 2019, 19:19   #1043  |  Link
Patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post

The parameter --vbrhq 0 becomes bold when you select 'Constant Quality Mode' and it's easier to see it, when there is a value to --vbr-quality and not leave it to the default 0.

Still, that mode 'Constant Quality Mode' shouldn't be shown when --vbr is selected but only for --vbrhq, I think.
Hello NikosD,

I have done some tests with the option and it also works for --vbr.
With --vbr-quality 0 you got the best quality . Some requirements should be brought as a user, if you want to use certain options. Otherwise, the people here like to help

Last edited by Patman; 4th October 2019 at 19:22.
Old 4th October 2019, 20:51   #1044  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
I have done some tests with the option and it also works for --vbr.
Ok, but VBR (1 pass encoding) is a lot different than VBRHQ (2 pass encoding)

How did you test that is actually working ?

VBRHQ 0 is by itself self explanatory and I think in rigaya's help "Constant Quality" is also described as a VBRHQ only option.

I'm all ears to you because it's the first time that I go deeper to NVENC (till know I was just playing games )

Last edited by NikosD; 4th October 2019 at 21:21.
Old 5th October 2019, 13:47   #1045  |  Link
NikosD

@stax76

Hello Frank.

Everything is working fine using StaxRip v2.0.4.9.

You are truly firing on all cylinders these days!

Clever addition of --vbr 0 --vbr-quality using VBR and 'Constant Quality' but I'm afraid is not going to work!

Haven't found it anywhere documented and I think 'Constant Quality' needs HQ (2-pass) encoding as a requirement.

Thanks!

Last edited by NikosD; 5th October 2019 at 13:49.
Old 5th October 2019, 14:32   #1046  |  Link
Patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
@stax76

Hello Frank.

Everything is working fine using StaxRip v2.0.4.9.

You are truly firing on all cylinders these days!

Clever addition of --vbr 0 --vbr-quality using VBR and 'Constant Quality' but I'm afraid is not going to work!

Haven't found it anywhere documented and I think 'Constant Quality' needs HQ (2-pass) encoding as a requirement.

Thanks!
Hi NikosD,

due to a few tests with NVEnc (see link), the option was added. The --vbr-quality 0 option behaves identically with --vbr 0 and --vbrhq 0. I have seen that the option is exclusive to --vbrhq, but it works with --vbr as well.
Old 5th October 2019, 14:49   #1047  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
Hi NikosD,

due to a few tests with NVEnc (see link), the option was added. The --vbr-quality 0 option behaves identically with --vbr 0 and --vbrhq 0. I have seen that the option is exclusive to --vbrhq, but it works with --vbr as well.
OK...I see your comparison.txt file and it seems that --vbr 0 --vbr-quality is something that NVEncC understands.

But I'm not sure I could say the difference, even if you upload the encodings and this is the reason that probably I'm not going to try and test it myself.

If rigaya replies to the email of Frank, I suggest to follow his reply.

In his documentation, he doesn't refer to VBR as capable of Constant Quality mode, so after this email exchange between Frank and rigaya, maybe he should add it to his documentation, if it actually works.

Thanks for testing!

Last edited by NikosD; 5th October 2019 at 14:56.
Old 5th October 2019, 16:30   #1048  |  Link
Tadanobu

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for this great encoder. I had been using MeGUI for many years but I'm now switching to Staxrip. There are two very useful functions in MeGUI that I can't find in Staxrip. Could you please tell me if there is something similar ?

The first one is the input file in the file indexer in MeGUI that lets you choose an ifo file. When you select an ifo file as a source, it shows you the list of the videos in the DVD structure. With staxrip, I'm using DGIndex, which is fine. But that little ifo hack is sometimes very convenient and can save time.

The second one is the analysis tool in the AVS Script Creator from MeGUI. The analysis tool automatically suggests a deinterlacing function. I know I can manually add Yadif, QTGMC or whatever in the AVS Filters box. But when the source needs a more complex script, I'm sometimes clueless and the MeGUI analysis tools is very helpful.

Last question : I know the SVT encoders are still experimental (HEVC, VP9 and AV1), but are you planning to integrate them ? Using ffmpeg in command line is not that bad, but having a good GUI is always nice.

Thank you.
Old 5th October 2019, 19:15   #1049  |  Link
Natty
Noob

analysis tool isn't available. i miss that feature of MegUI
Old 6th October 2019, 17:29   #1050  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
The first one is the input file in the file indexer in MeGUI that lets you choose an ifo file. When you select an ifo file as a source, it shows you the list of the videos in the DVD structure. With staxrip, I'm using DGIndex, which is fine. But that little ifo hack is sometimes very convenient and can save time.
If you don't have NTSC than it's easier to rip with makemkv. What should also work is choosing merge files and then select the vob files you want to open, it should then run dgindex on the selected files.

Quote:
Last question : I know the SVT encoders are still experimental (HEVC, VP9 and AV1), but are you planning to integrate them ? Using ffmpeg in command line is not that bad, but having a good GUI is always nice.
It depends on how many people make a feature request for it on the issue tracker, post +1 and write a few words to the following issue:

https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip/issues/61

staxrip has support for a generic command line encoder, the xvid encoder is based on that so you can clone, rename and edit the xvid encoder to get your SVT encoder.

Quote:
The second one is the analysis tool in the AVS Script Creator from MeGUI.
Even though it's a popular request, it's not planed to be supported.
Old 7th October 2019, 16:27   #1051  |  Link
NikosD

I asked Rigaya if he is going to update NVEncC to SDK v9.1 using multiple reference frames for Turing and he informed that he released NVEncC v4.51 with exactly that support.

Download link:
https://github.com/rigaya/NVEnc/rele...cC_4.51_x64.7z

From nVidia's docs:
Quote:
Multiple reference frames

Turing NVENC adds support for choosing the matching macroblock/CTB from multiple reference frames, which results to improvement to encoded quality.

The numbers of reference frames are decided inside NVIDIA’s display driver.

The current SDK exposes control to the client for specifying the number of reference frames which will override the values set inside NVIDIA’s display driver.
Old 8th October 2019, 18:34   #1052  |  Link
mcjordan

Frank, please add, if possible --multiref-l0, --multiref-l1 in NVEnc settings as choise.
Rigaya has released a new NVEnc 4.5.2

Short changelog:
Change command line options for multiple refs from NVEnc 4.51, to be able to set them individually. (--multiref-l0, --multiref-l1)
Add multiref-** options to help.
Revert binaries for x64 buillt in appveyor back to VS2017, as VS2019 sometimes runs into error when installing CUDA.
Old 9th October 2019, 04:13   #1053  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjordan View Post
Frank, please add, if possible --multiref-l0, --multiref-l1 in NVEnc settings as choise.
Rigaya has released a new NVEnc 4.5.2

Short changelog:
Change command line options for multiple refs from NVEnc 4.51, to be able to set them individually. (--multiref-l0, --multiref-l1)
Add multiref-** options to help.
Revert binaries for x64 buillt in appveyor back to VS2017, as VS2019 sometimes runs into error when installing CUDA.
It will be supported in the next build.
Old 9th October 2019, 19:26   #1054  |  Link
mcjordan

Frank - set of integer value for --multiref-l0, --multiref-l1 (max 7) is missing...
Old 9th October 2019, 19:45   #1055  |  Link
stax76

And defaults are 0 ?

https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip/b.../NVEnc.vb#L444
Old 9th October 2019, 19:54   #1056  |  Link
mcjordan

Hmm... Not sure, but yes. Sample which suggest Rigaya is 5/4, I use 7/6 (L0/L1). At --ref value 8. Logically - yes - 0 is the starting point.

Last edited by mcjordan; 9th October 2019 at 20:08.
Old 9th October 2019, 20:16   #1057  |  Link
mcjordan

I just compiled it and did a small encoding test. Works excellent. Thank you, Frank!
Old 9th October 2019, 20:24   #1058  |  Link
mcjordan

New ffms2 from StvG:
- ffmpeg n4.3_a746359;
- dav1d 0.4.0 (seeking accurate with threads=1 and still ~50% faster than aom).
Old 10th October 2019, 09:07   #1059  |  Link
expanseFan

Hello, although I've been using StaxRip for quite some time, I have some questions regarding encoding a DVD but also questions in general about StaxRip that have been bugging me for quite some time, I hope you could help me!
1) how should I open VIDEO_TS folder in StaxRip? Is merge files correct?
2) Which filter should I use to deinterlace? Is yadifmod2 adequate?
3) Is QTGMC superior even in super fast or ultra fast presets? Does SelectEven(),to keep original framerate, reduce deinterlace quality? When should I use QTGMC with repair?
3) Is there an alternative to QTGMC that offers better quality than yadif but is faster than QTGMC?
4) When encoding audio in AAC should I keep normalize checked? What does it do? Also, which encoder is better for AAC, ffmpeg or eac3to? Why isn't it possible to specify bitrate in AAC but I have to use quality slider?
5) In the x264 or x265 options, besides tweaking the basic options(preset,mode,etc.), is it okay leaving the other options(rate control, analysis, slice decisions tabs) at their defaults? Are these options automatically set based on the video source?

Sorry for so many questions, I'd like to learn more about StaxRip, it's such a great tool, I find it more useful and significantly faster than Handbrake!

Last edited by expanseFan; 11th October 2019 at 19:08. Reason: Removed unimportant questions
Old 10th October 2019, 09:27   #1060  |  Link
stax76

That are many questions for one post. :-)

Quote:
how should I open VIDEO_TS folder in StaxRip? Is merge files correct?
Yes, for PAL DVDs using MakeMKV has some advantages.
Closed Thread

Tags
aac, hdr, hevc, nvenc, staxrip, x264, x265