Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th December 2017, 18:51   #47541  |  Link
huhn

you could use the keyboard to apply the change.
this doesn't come without any obvious risks.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 20:34   #47542  |  Link
Gopa

720p anime 1440p gtx1070 4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Cheers mate! What TV do you have, btw?
720P NOW UPSCALED TO 2160P WITH MADVR: THANKS HUHN & ASMODIAN

Samsung KU7500 (65" curved 4k). Anime, really "pops", on this TV. I sit, about 7', from the screen. I like plenty of extra sharpening, with 720p anime: switch to 2560x1440p23, NGU AA or Sharp/very high chroma & luma, plenty of image enhancements & upscaling refinement, any strength RCA/high as needed. Images, look better to me, than with, switch to: 2160p23, with lower madVR settings (increased blurriness, upscaling 720p to 2160p, directly, with madVR, or just, TV, of course: not enough sharpening available, often, even with lowering, other madVR enhancements). 1440p, looks better than 1080p, on this TV. These settings are only for 720p anime! I prefer 720p anime vs 1080p (upscaled), because it has fewer noise & compression artifacts (because it is not upscaled). 1080P ANIME & ALL NON-ANIME: SWITCH TO 2160P. On my TV, with my 720p anime, upscaling twice (madVR to 1440p & TV to 2160), images look better, to me. I have tested this & do not agree, that using "native resolution", is ALWAYS BEST.

If, RCA High, was "free" (with NGU Sharp), switch to: 2160p, "might", look a little better, than 1440p (720p anime). Higher strength, than available, 4.0, "sharpen edges", would help (especially, in upscale refinements). "Other" software, does not have madVR-quality, anti-ringing/anti-bloating, to use their, edge sharpening shaders.

Last edited by Gopa; 7th December 2017 at 18:25. Reason: addition
Gopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 21:29   #47543  |  Link
huhn

you know that 1440p to 2160p is relative free with the correct settings.
Old 6th December 2017, 22:16   #47544  |  Link
Gopa

native resolution for ALMOST everything

720P NOW UPSCALED WITH MADVR TO 2160P: THANKS HUHN & ASMODIAN

Yes & I use native resolution, for everything, with the exception, of 720p anime, regardless of the need for lower luma settings. Difference, seems to be, more compression artifacts + less sharp, upscaled, with madVR, to 2160p vs 1440p. I think, GTX1070 + KU7500 + 720p anime, looks better, at 1440p. NGU Sharp, increases artifacts (a lot), upscaling, to 2160p & without NGU Sharp, images are too blurry (for me). The difference, between 1440p & 2160p, is mostly, very subtle. 720p anime, without any compression artifacts, would probably, look better, at native resolution. My anime, is average to very good & always has, compression artifacts. I can see major differences, as far as artifacts, in 1440p vs 2160p.

Last edited by Gopa; 7th December 2017 at 18:24. Reason: addition
Old 6th December 2017, 22:43   #47545  |  Link
huhn

disable supersampling and you can use about the same settings.
Old 6th December 2017, 23:50   #47546  |  Link
Gopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
disable supersampling and you can use about the same settings.
720p NOW UPSCALED TO 2160P WITH MADVR: THANKS TO HELP FROM HUHN & ASMODIAN
THE FOLLOWING IS NO LONGER VALID:

I never enable supersampling.
2160p vs 1440p: 35+ vs 30+ rendertime
reduce ringing artifacts (no vs yes or no)
RCA (medium vs high)
chroma upscaling (Bicubic AR vs NGU AA/Sharp very high)
image upscaling (NGU Sharp/high + medium vs very high)
Seems like significantly lower settings.
2160p: more artifacts + less sharp.
I appreciate your help. I am interested in using native resolution, if it results in equal, or improved images. I can see, that native resolution, results in "cleaner" lines, although, this is easily compensated for, at 1440p, with sharpening. Having to go back & forth, between, "change to: 1440p23 vs 2160p23", is ridiculous, although I watch, mostly, 720p anime. Future “free” RCA, with NGU Sharp, will help.

Last edited by Gopa; 7th December 2017 at 18:21. Reason: subtraction
Old 6th December 2017, 23:55   #47547  |  Link
huhn

with default settings madVR is supersampling quite often.
Old 7th December 2017, 00:14   #47548  |  Link
Gopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
with default settings madVR is supersampling quite often.
If supersampling, is not activated, via image upscaling, then, how do I turn it off? 720p to 2160p: double, twice or x4, to 2880p & then, downscale, to 2160p. 720p to 1440p: double, once, to 1440p & then the TV, upscales, to 2160p.

Last edited by Gopa; 7th December 2017 at 02:58. Reason: change
Old 7th December 2017, 03:27   #47549  |  Link
fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippner View Post
any solution for black screen with fse active?
Try lowering the the "how many video frames shall be presented in advance: to 4 or less than default of 8. It worked for me on my AMD card.
Old 7th December 2017, 05:26   #47550  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
I disabled fse before start the movie, idk why frames dropped, tomorrow i'll watch another movie and see if it drop again.
so reclock isn't bugged? these settings are good?
any solution for black screen with fse active?
What are your settings under the video tab for reclock? As someone else suggested uncheck time stretch
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 05:32   #47551  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
already changed, I use 2160p23, but without reclock I have 1 repeat frame every XX minutes, with reclock every XX hours

d3d11 worked, thanks!

well at the end the problem was mpc-hc seems perfect now.
another "probem": with 23.976fps video I use 23hz and in madvr is 23.97860hz, but with a 25fps video I use 25hz and in madvr is 24.99870hz and maybe i'm wrong, but doesn't seems smooth. 24.99870 is correct or should be more high?
Inside madvr you can enable "treat 25p movie as 24p" (requires reclock). it's under display modes menu for your monitor or tv. I personally prefer this to interlaced 50hz.
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 07:16   #47552  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopa View Post
If supersampling, is not activated, via image upscaling, then, how do I turn it off? 720p to 2160p: double, twice or x4, to 2880p & then, downscale, to 2160p. 720p to 1440p: double, once, to 1440p & then the TV, upscales, to 2160p.
I think what huhn meant was that you should prevent madVR from downscaling to 2160p. Use NGU for 720 -> 1440 and use Jinc to go from 1440p -> 2160p.

You can enable this by setting:
activate doubling / quadrupling...
<- doubling: ... only if scaling factor is 2.0x (or bigger)
<- quadrupling: ... only if scaling factor is 4.0x (or bigger)

By default madVR uses 1.2x and 2.4x respectively.
Old 7th December 2017, 08:29   #47553  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I think what huhn meant was that you should prevent madVR from downscaling to 2160p. Use NGU for 720 -> 1440 and use Jinc to go from 1440p -> 2160p.

Is that something that is included in your Settings.bin file?
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 15:46   #47554  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:

I can try
Use the latest reclock beta. 1.9.0.6 Beta (May 11, 2017)
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 16:15   #47555  |  Link
mclingo

yeah, quite a bit has been added / removed recently -

1.9.0.6 beta - 10/05/2017
* New: Added support for PowerDVD 17
* Change: Updated MediaInfo.dll to 0.7.95.0

1.9.0.5 beta - 08/05/2017
* New: Added debug DWORD registry value "NoMediaInfo". If set to 1, the old DirectShow estimator will be used.

1.9.0.4 beta - 08/05/2017
* Change: MediaInfo estimator improved

1.9.0.3 beta - 16/01/2017
* Change: MediaInfo estimator improved
* Fix: Built in estimator was enabled for file playback by default.

1.9.0.2 beta - 22/12/2016
* Fix: MediaInfo estimator treated audio files as video file

1.9.0.1 beta - 21/12/2016
* New: Retired the old Direct Show framerate estimator for file playback
- MediaInfo.dll (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) is used instead
- Using the built-in estimator is no longer recommended for file playback
- Using the built-in estimator is no longer the default for file playback
- Windows 9x is no longer supported. May it rest in peace.
* New: Framerate cache was actually quite unusable.
The behavior is changed:
- default framerate will no longer stored in cache
- setting a default framerate will not stop automatic detection, automatic
detection will always override default framerate setting
- setting a framerate manually during playback will store it in the cache
- manually setting the framerate to "unknown/automatic" will delete if from the cache
- a manual framerate in the cache will stop automatic detection of the built-in estimator
- manually setting the framerate to "unknown" will enable automatic detection of the built-in estimator
ATTENTION: This is beta software!
As there are many changes to many parts of ReClock, things might not work right away as expected.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 16:41   #47556  |  Link
HillieSan

I am using an AMD RX 480 with madvr and it is working well. It also works well after the latest Windows updates and driver updates. I use full screen windowed mode instead of FSE. FSE doesn’t work well with NVidia and AMD, which I believe is a madvr issue. I love the stability of the RX 480.

However, I can only set the RX 480 to ‘NGU Sharp – High’ with all additional enhancements turned off to avoid skipping frames. I have experimented with ‘NGU Sharp – Very High’ and other enhancements and I must say that I see no differences between high and very high. The enhancements are also negligible.

I can think of two main reasons why I can’t see differences

1. I use high quality (almost BR quality) films: 1080 -> 4K
2. The projector (JVC X5000) picture grain cannot enhance the differences

A third reason could perhaps be my RX 480. I am not sure. What if I compare my ‘RX 480 – NGU Sharp – High’ to a ‘GTX 1070Ti – NGU Sharp – Very High (with enhancements turned on)’, will I see a significant difference?

I am asking this because I am planning to buy a new graphics card for my gaming PC. I was thinking of moving the RX 480 from the HTPC to the gaming PC. Then I need a new gfx card in my HTPC. The GTX 1080 is far too expensive and the AMD RX 580 is in my budget but it is similar to my RX 480. Another candidate could be the GTX 1070 Ti. With the GTX 1070 Ti I assume that I can set madvr to ‘NGU Sharp - Very High’ with most enhancements turned on. Is this right? I also want to use HDR in the future. Will the GTX 1070 Ti significantly improve the picture quality which I did not get with my RX 480?

BTW What I don’t want to use is reclock and other workaround tools with NVidia. For my AMD RX 480 I don’t need this and I get a most stable result. My projector switches to the appropriate frequency for the movie.

I need some advice.
Thanks.

Last edited by HillieSan; 7th December 2017 at 16:53.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 17:36   #47557  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
I am using an AMD RX 480 with madvr and it is working well. It also works well after the latest Windows updates and driver updates. I use full screen windowed mode instead of FSE. FSE doesn’t work well with NVidia and AMD, which I believe is a madvr issue. I love the stability of the RX 480.

However, I can only set the RX 480 to ‘NGU Sharp – High’ with all additional enhancements turned off to avoid skipping frames. I have experimented with ‘NGU Sharp – Very High’ and other enhancements and I must say that I see no differences between high and very high. The enhancements are also negligible.

I can think of two main reasons why I can’t see differences

1. I use high quality (almost BR quality) films: 1080 -> 4K
2. The projector (JVC X5000) picture grain cannot enhance the differences

A third reason could perhaps be my RX 480. I am not sure. What if I compare my ‘RX 480 – NGU Sharp – High’ to a ‘GTX 1070Ti – NGU Sharp – Very High (with enhancements turned on)’, will I see a significant difference?

I am asking this because I am planning to buy a new graphics card for my gaming PC. I was thinking of moving the RX 480 from the HTPC to the gaming PC. Then I need a new gfx card in my HTPC. The GTX 1080 is far too expensive and the AMD RX 580 is in my budget but it is similar to my RX 480. Another candidate could be the GTX 1070 Ti. With the GTX 1070 Ti I assume that I can set madvr to ‘NGU Sharp - Very High’ with most enhancements turned on. Is this right? I also want to use HDR in the future. Will the GTX 1070 Ti significantly improve the picture quality which I did not get with my RX 480?

BTW What I don’t want to use is reclock and other workaround tools with NVidia. For my AMD RX 480 I don’t need this and I get a most stable result. My projector switches to the appropriate frequency for the movie.

I need some advice.
Thanks.
i've got my AMD RX 550 working well now but i have to use reclock after I picked up the creators fall update, prior to that It was rock solid even with FSE.

I personally need FSE for 3d movies but I could turn it on and off, however i've got it stable now with it on.

Even with FSE off though I couldnt get rid of the frame drops / repeats, dont know how other people are getting this to work on the creators update.

Are you saying you use the win 10 creators update in 4K and get no frame drops or repeats without using reclock?

If so would you mind posting your CONTROL J screen when in a movie so I can have a look how yours different to mine.
Old 7th December 2017, 17:53   #47558  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Are you saying you use the win 10 creators update in 4K and get no frame drops or repeats without using reclock?
Yes.

In the past I used Bluesky FRC and it did work well. It was smooth at 60 Hz. I didn't get reclock to work without frame drops. The problem of using Bluesky FRC and reclock is that madvr has to process the images at 60 hz; 1080 -> 4K. Therefore, it could not go higher than 'NGU Sharp -- Medium'.

What solved this problem was to let madvr switch my projector and TV to 23 Hz (or 24, 25 hz). On the projector I had to enable a motion enhancer to get rid of judder. The judder is part of the projector and it can eliminate it by enabling this option. I think most 4K projectors have this option. Since madvr processes the images at 23 Hz (and not at 60 hz) it has more time to process 'NGU Sharp -- High' without frame drops. So reclock or Bluesky FRC is not needed.

BTW If I had an ultra fast AMD gfx card I would probably go back to Bluesky FRC. This is best optimised for AMD and movies are very smooth at 60 hz. It gave me the smoothest picture. But switching to the native frequency is also fine.
Be careful, 4K @ 60 Hz requires a very good cable.

Last edited by HillieSan; 7th December 2017 at 18:10.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 18:03   #47559  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
Yes.

In the past I used Bluesky FRC and it did work well. It was smooth at 60 Hz. I didn't get reclock to work without frame drops. The problem of using Bluesky FRC and reclock is that madvr has to process the images at 60 hz. Therefore, it could not go higher than 'NGU Sharp -- Medium'.

What solved my problem was to let madvr switch my projector and TV to 23 Hz (or 24, 25 hz). On the projector I had to use a motion enhancer to get rid of judder. The judder is part of the projector and it can eliminate it by enabling this option. I think most 4K projectors have this option. Since madvr processes the images at 23 Hz (and not at 60 hz) it has more time to process 'NGU Sharp -- High' without frame drops.

BTW If I had a faster AMD gfx card I would go back to Bluesky FRC. This is best optimised for AMD and movies are very smooth at 60 hz. It gave me the smoothest picture. But switching to the native frequency is also fine.
Be careful, 4K @ 60 Hz requires a very good cable.
I may have a look at bluesky at some point myself.

So you're using reclock at the moment then?
Old 7th December 2017, 18:16   #47560  |  Link
Gopa

720p: upscaled with madVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

Thank you! NGU Sharp high/luma doubling; luma quadrupling/disabled; activate doubling only if scaling factor is 2.0x (quadrupling is greyed-out); if any more scaling/Jinc AR; RCA anything I want; Best images for 720p are now upscaled to 2160p with madVR!

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling