Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th September 2012, 20:35   #12101  |  Link
ajp_anton

When I change subtitle language, the video pauses for half a second. Doesn't matter much as I don't often change subs mid-film (=)), but why does this happen?
LAV-everything + MPC-HC + madVR.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 20:40   #12102  |  Link
ddjmagic

I'm having a small problem with MPC-HC with Lav Filters with i3-2100 when trying to playback a MKV made from a NTSC TV Show episode ripped with MakeMKV, it's mpeg2 9000kbps and DD 2.0 audio, when I playback it seems fine but when move the mouse to the bottom to get the seekbar, instead of the seekbar I get the bottom inch of the picture froze (The rest still plays fine) and then the mouse does not do anything, I have to ctrl-alt-delete to get out of it.
Same thing happens if I try and right click, it freezes. I have tried DXVA on and off, its still the same, any suggestions? Blu-ray are fine!
ddjmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 20:40   #12103  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Don't forget that the uncompressed picture has to be send yet another time back to the GPU before being send to the display...
Yeah I forgot that...

@nev
Btw what if for example I use cuvid or dxva cb on nvidia but sending result to iGPU (using LucidVirtu)? Or the other way, if I decode via quicksync but then sending stuff to discrete GPU? Would it mean that with this approach bandwidth requirement will be split between GPUs?
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 20:41   #12104  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
When I change subtitle language, the video pauses for half a second. Doesn't matter much as I don't often change subs mid-film (=)), but why does this happen?
LAV-everything + MPC-HC + madVR.
I think the graph is being rebuild which causes that pause. Some splitter+decoder combinations can avoid that (gabest?).
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 20:47   #12105  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Its not about CPU usage (or better to say purevideo engine load) but about bandwidth. Even if DXVA works, Cuvid (and dxva cb?) may not (or at least not at full realtime speed). High bitrate full HD frames in one direction and uncompressed in another - this is may be too much for some gpus. Not that I measured any of this. I just know that newer even budget cards can handle it.
Like said before by other people : not every newer budget card can handle BD video : the GT 510/520 and GT 605/610/620 are now for sale in your shop, but these can handle BD content only in DXVA.
This means no MadVR, limited CUVID (max 30fps), limited interlacing,...

Last edited by Pat357; 4th September 2012 at 22:01.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 21:00   #12106  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
Like said before by other people : not every newer budget card can handle BD video : the GT 510/520 are still for sale and can handle BD content only in DXVA.
No madvr, deinterlacing or anything else - sure. I never said you can have this all (I never even do realtime deinterlacing or play interlaced streams at all). They can do 24-30fps cuvid, this is all I care about and this all I say. (EDIT: not sure about any OEM cards though)

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 4th September 2012 at 21:11.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 21:17   #12107  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
the GT 510/520 are still for sale and can handle BD content only in DXVA.
No! The 520 (VP5) does CUVID decoding way faster than the higher-end VP4 cards. And the postprocessing looks fine to me.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 21:18   #12108  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I think the graph is being rebuild which causes that pause. Some splitter+decoder combinations can avoid that (gabest?).
The graph is not rebuilt, its just paused to switch the stream, which causes a minor delay.
It would be possible to avoid that, however the problem is that streams are read-ahead and buffered a bit, so if you change the stream without doing the pause and reset buffers dance, it might take a bunch of seconds until the switch occurs. You can see that with Gabest, if you switch now, it takes a while until it actually changes (more obvious with audio), i prefer an instant switch with a small playback glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
No! The 520 (VP5) does CUVID decoding way faster than the higher-end VP4 cards. And the postprocessing looks fine to me.
Even NVIDIA itself admitted that the 520 is not fast enough for full-scale deinterlacing.
I would be very careful with that card. Going the lowest you can find that might potentially still work is not a strategy i would generally recommend.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 4th September 2012 at 21:31.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 23:30   #12109  |  Link
mkanet

Im guessing this is more of an academic point you're making; which is understandable.

From a practical/real-life point... it's a little amusing. I've never had to worry about "bandwidth" when playing back standard BD discs; even on my 6 year old PC. PowerDVD works just fine; with a little help from Reclock, the picture is on par with my 24P capable standalone device; at least my eyes can't tell the difference. I've upgraded my display adapter since 2006; more than once.. But, it wasn't because of 2D bluray playback. I do enjoy watching 3D bluray though very much with my GT640 display card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Its not about CPU usage (or better to say purevideo engine load) but about bandwidth. Even if DXVA works, Cuvid (and dxva cb?) may not (or at least not at full realtime speed). High bitrate full HD frames in one direction and uncompressed in another - this is may be too much for some gpus. Not that I measured any of this. I just know that newer even budget cards can handle it.
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 01:34   #12110  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Even NVIDIA itself admitted that the 520 is not fast enough for full-scale deinterlacing.
Since 304.48beta, the 520 was "reborn".
Now it works fine with lav cuvid(double fps), even the clip is 1080i 60m size.

Of course madVR still costs too much than 520 has.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 10:51   #12111  |  Link
kitame

^ do note that deinterlace and decode are separate matter, stack them and issues will start popping up.
kitame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 11:27   #12112  |  Link
ddjmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjmagic View Post
I'm having a small problem with MPC-HC with Lav Filters with i3-2100 when trying to playback a MKV made from a NTSC TV Show episode ripped with MakeMKV, it's mpeg2 9000kbps and DD 2.0 audio, when I playback it seems fine but when move the mouse to the bottom to get the seekbar, instead of the seekbar I get the bottom inch of the picture froze (The rest still plays fine) and then the mouse does not do anything, I have to ctrl-alt-delete to get out of it.
Same thing happens if I try and right click, it freezes. I have tried DXVA on and off, its still the same, any suggestions? Blu-ray are fine!
Works fine this morning Must of just been a one off
Old 5th September 2012, 11:42   #12113  |  Link
ddjmagic

Quote:
It tries to eliminate playlists which have loops or repeated clips in them, but thats not always reliable so it may end up on those wrong tracks in some situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjmagic View Post
Thanks for the answer. It works most of the time anyway, and Its not hard to change to the correct playlist
I didn't know if it used some kind of database/list or if it chose it by length/size etc.
Another quick question regarding index.bdmv playback and occasional wrong playlists, is it possible for me to tell Lav Filters what playlist to use on troublesome discs so it chooses the correct one next time I playback that particular movie?
I know its not an huge issue, but it would be nice to get it working 100%, users could report troublesome discs and what the correct playlist should be, then it could be added to a list of some kind.
Not sure if this is even possible ?
I'd be happy to maintain a list of some kind.
Old 5th September 2012, 14:04   #12114  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You can simply run the appropriate mpls file from the PLAYLIST folder, instead of the index.bdmv.
LAV does not save such information, and it never will.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:11   #12115  |  Link
clsid

If the splitter ever gets a tray icon, it could show the available playlists in there.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:19   #12116  |  Link
Joniii

Nevcairiel, any chance you could try the subtitles surface overlay on DXVA, it would be a nice feature for us that use subtitles and prefer to use DXVA.

Windows 10 Pro 2004 with Media Center, 2 x DVB-C with cable cards
MPC-HC (madVR, LAV Filters, XySubFilter)
Sony Bravia 85X950H/85XH95
Yamaha RX-V685
Yamaha Piano Black NS-777/555/C444/YST-SW315

Last edited by Joniii; 5th September 2012 at 15:23.
Joniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 15:27   #12117  |  Link
dansrfe

Is DVD playback still planned with LAV Splitter and LAV Video? Thanks!
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 15:42   #12118  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joniii View Post
Nevcairiel, any chance you could try the subtitles surface overlay on DXVA, it would be a nice feature for us that use subtitles and prefer to use DXVA.
Repeating your questions won't help getting it done, its just annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Is DVD playback still planned with LAV Splitter and LAV Video? Thanks!
Who ever said anything about the splitter?
I will never write a dvd navigator or anything crappy like that.

Video support is still planned, but its annoying, and i don't watch DVDs, so its a low priority.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:56   #12119  |  Link
ddjmagic

Quote:
You can simply run the appropriate mpls file from the PLAYLIST folder, instead of the index.bdmv.
LAV does not save such information, and it never will.
No other way around this? I use XBMC and a BAT file that tells it to use MPC and open the index.bdmv so playing the mpls file won't work that way.
So is it not possible for LAV to ever work 100% correctly with all Blu-ray discs?
Or is it possible in the future maybe?

Edit: The main reason I'm asking is I noticed AnyDVD HD seems to always show the correct playlist in its status window (On all my discs anyway) I'm just wondering what it does differently to determine that.

Last edited by ddjmagic; 5th September 2012 at 16:05.
Old 5th September 2012, 16:06   #12120  |  Link
Sebastiii

@ddjmagic

You can try mediaportal (don't want to push it lol or maybe a little) but with bdhandler plugins, you get a selection list and with 1.3.0Alpha MP has a native Blu-ray player (working with non BD-J one and best user experience with LAV Suite (Thanks Nevcairiel)).

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter