Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 17th June 2017, 10:32   #1  |  Link
ultron

Problems creating a externally playable dvd with Devede

Hello, I was trying to pass a video file to a dvd-r to use in an external dvd, saw a thread on ask ubuntu about it and there is mentioned devede. Decide to try it, but I am experiencing problems trying to do two different things.

The first is when I try to create a playable dvd with a single video file. When trying to create it, a pop up window shows up saying:
Quote:
Failed to create the BIN/CUE files. Maybe you run out of disk space
However, there is an option called:
Quote:
Media size:
where I putted the option
Quote:
700 MB CD
. And I have more than 1GB of free space. Nonetheless, running it through command line it says
Quote:
currentfile is: /home/leopoldo/movie/movie_01_01.mpg

Launching shell program: ln -s "/home/leopoldo/videos/Gilmore.Girls.S01/gilmore.girls.1x01.pilot.dvdrip.dual.xvid-vermi.avi" "/home/leopoldo/movie/movie_01_01.mpg"

Launching program: vcdimager -c /home/leopoldo/movie/movie.cue -b /home/leopoldo/movie/movie.bin -t vcd2 /home/leopoldo/movie/movie_01_01.mpg
elemento: /usr/bin
++ WARN: initializing libvcd 0.7.23 [linux-gnu/x86_64]
++ WARN:
++ WARN: this is the Beta development branch!
++ WARN: use only if you know what you are doing
++ WARN: see http://www.hvrlab.org/~hvr/vcdimager/ for more information
++ WARN:
++ WARN: mpeg scan: pack header code (0x000001ba) expected, but 0x52494646 found (buflen = 2324)
++ WARN: ...this looks like a RIFF header but a plain multiplexed program stream was required.
**ERROR: input mpeg stream has been deemed invalid -- aborting
Creating window /usr/share/devede/werror_dialog.ui
So there is something wrong with the header? Is there a way to fix it?

The other problem shows up when combining subtitle with a video file.
Doing the same as before but adding a srt file through the menu options I get stuck with a pop up window saying:
Quote:
Adding subtitles to filename.avi
1/3
STAT: 0:00:02
that stays on this state eternally. Running devede through command line it says:
Quote:
currentfile is: /home/leopoldo/movie/movie_01_01.mpg

Launching shell program: cp "/home/leopoldo/videos/filename.avi" "/home/leopoldo/movie/movie_01_01.mpg"

Trying to create /home/leopoldo/movie/movie_sub.xml
Launching shell program: iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF8 "/home/leopoldo/videos/subtitlename.srt" -o "/home/leopoldo/movie/movie_sub_tmp.sub"

FPS sub 1 original
FPS sub 2 final
Launching shell program: spumux -m svcd -s 0 "/home/leopoldo/movie/movie_sub.xml" < "/home/leopoldo/movie/movie_01_01.mpg" > "/home/leopoldo/movie/movie_01_01.mpg.sub"

DVDAuthor::spumux, version 0.6.14.
Build options: gnugetopt magick iconv freetype
Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

INFO: Locale=en_US.utf8
INFO: Converting filenames to UTF-8
INFO: Detected subtitle file format: subviewer
INFO: Opened iconv descriptor. *UTF-8* *UTF-8*
INFO: Read 547 subtitles
INFO: Unicode font: 5025 glyphs.
INFO: Skipped 17758 bytes of garbage
Even closing devede, spumux keeps running, using 100% of cpu.

On this case I think I can use ffmpeg to embed the subtitles in the video file , but it would be nice to fix it other way.
ultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 14:39   #2  |  Link
manolito

Hi Ultron,

looks like nobody on this forum is familiar with Devede...

I did use it quite a bit, and I still have it installed on my WindowsXP machine. Some things you should clarify:

Are you under Ubuntu or Windows?
Is your target format a Video DVD or a VCD? You mentioned that you wanted to create a DVD, but your settings indicate that you instructed Devede to create a VCD.

For a DVD you need to select the top button (Video DVD), and your target size should be 4.7GB for a single layer blank and 8.5GB for a dual layer blank. In this case Devede will not try to create BIN and CUE files, it will author a DVD structure instead (a VIDEO_TS folder).

I am not familiar with subtitles, you should ask in the Devede support forum.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 27th June 2017 at 22:19.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 22:30   #3  |  Link
ultron

Thanks, I was able to successfully create a video dvd doing what you said. However what I really wanted to do was to be able to play the video files without changing them or to reduce their files, and at the time I wrote the topic, I thought the option to use them without modifications was only available under the vcd option (it wasn't).

In the end, I was able to directly play the video files on the player even without devede, so i ended being useless for me, since I don't need devede to write them to a dvd without modifications and the VideoCD option actually increases the size of the video files a little bit.

So I will end writing the files directly or using ffmpeg with libdivx to create my own reduced video files.
ultron is offline   Reply With Quote