Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 29th October 2016, 16:29   #25141  |  Link
jdobbs

It's likely I could make Quick-Play menus work on BD-5/9 simply by changing the version information in some files. But full-backup isn't possible because AVCHD doesn't support BD-J (which is way to common).
Old 29th October 2016, 17:38   #25142  |  Link
Sharc

Well, I have some doubts how popular BD5/9 still are since cost of BD25 are the same or even less today.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 17:50   #25143  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
This has definitely changed for the worse, for obvious reasons.
What are the obvious reasons?
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 17:53   #25144  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
You'll find that as long as you output in movie-only mode they will play even on Samsung (I have a Samsung player also). Full backups not so much. But with BD discs as cheap as they are these days, it's really not much cost savings to go to BD-5/9 anymore.
IIRC, the DVD was a burn as the result of building an ISO via tsMuxer. The MKV was small enough, so I just used a DVD. It wasn't a movie, but a TV show episode.

I'll have to try it again.
Old 29th October 2016, 17:56   #25145  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Well, I have some doubts how popular BD5/9 still are since cost of BD25 are the same or even less today.
I never made BD5/9 full backups. Bitrate to low for me. It has always been BD25 media for me.
Old 29th October 2016, 18:07   #25146  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It's likely I could make Quick-Play menus work on BD-5/9 simply by changing the version information in some files. But full-backup isn't possible because AVCHD doesn't support BD-J (which is way to common).
Currently BD5/9 Quick-Play menus work if you load the final disc into MultiAVCHD in 'Blu-ray re-author mode' and then just output it again as an AVCHD Disc (regular or strict seems to make no difference).

The only other thing to remember is in BD-Rebuilder, uncheck "Keep DTS Audio". BD5/9 with Quick-Play bypasses whatever check prevents DTS from being put on movie-only DVD sized discs.

I've been doing this with bonus features for awhile for my old Sony standalone with no issues. (I then burn the movie-only to a BD-25 and put it in a double disc case.)
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 19:03   #25147  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
What are the obvious reasons?
"Obvious" is perhaps not the correct expression.
I have slight doubts that player/chip manufacturers were only driven by cost optimization to reduce the playback capabilities of their players. Making players most picky can mean extra efforts, perhaps more efforts than being more tolerant to accepting certain deviations from the standard.

Last edited by Sharc; 29th October 2016 at 19:13.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 03:08   #25148  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Samsung will not play Blu-ray authored formats burned to DVD. Unless it is on Blu-ray media, it will not play it. I find that a little stupid, but that is what they decided.
Geez Bro, that's a shame. At least my (pretty old) OPPO does do that...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 03:12   #25149  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Currently BD5/9 Quick-Play menus work if you load the final disc into MultiAVCHD in 'Blu-ray re-author mode' and then just output it again as an AVCHD Disc (regular or strict seems to make no difference).

The only other thing to remember is in BD-Rebuilder, uncheck "Keep DTS Audio". BD5/9 with Quick-Play bypasses whatever check prevents DTS from being put on movie-only DVD sized discs.

I've been doing this with bonus features for awhile for my old Sony standalone with no issues. (I then burn the movie-only to a BD-25 and put it in a double disc case.)
Yep, that is pretty much what I generally do too when the full disc size surpasses what I feel I want to compress. That is one thing that I REALLY love about BDRB is it is SO dang easy and fast to throw the Xtras onto a DVD (or another Blu-ray if they are extensive and I don't feel like waiting a couple of hours to reduce them) I USED to do that and then I realized that a Blu-ray disc only cost me about 30 cents more than a DVD and then I looked at myself in the mirror and saw how stupid I was...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 03:17   #25150  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Geez Bro, that's a shame. At least my (pretty old) OPPO does do that...
Why a shame? The disc wasn't for me. When it wouldn't work for me, I just put the file on a DVD-ROM. That way I knew the person would be able to play it.
Old 30th October 2016, 16:12   #25151  |  Link
m.rup

BD Rebuilder Movie-Only mode

Hi, when backing up 'Insurgent', region B, I noticed that BD Rebuilder in Movie-Only mode did not select the main feature (21,13 GB) but instead went for some block of extras (14,33 GB). Interestingly, as well in Full Backup mode as in Movie & Menus mode the main feature is identified correctly. 'Divergent' and 'Allegiant' didn't cause any problems in Movie-Only mode.
Furthermore, three leading trailers that can not be skipped are not shown in BD Rebuilders stream list, so I could not blank them.
In multiAVCHD, these traillers appeared as 'menu SP' items. I blanked them there and then processed the output with BD Rebuilder, this seemed to work, but I haven't watched the movie yet.
Any ideas how 'Insurgent' differs from 'Divergent' and 'Allegiant'?
Maybe an option to select main feature manually in Movie-Only mode could help in such cases?
m.rup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 17:09   #25152  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.rup View Post
Furthermore, three leading trailers that can not be skipped are not shown in BD Rebuilders stream list, so I could not blank them.
When watching a Blu-ray disc that starts out with trailers, you either press the menu button, or the next chapter button. The next chapter button will skip to the end of that trailer and go to the next trailer.
Old 30th October 2016, 17:14   #25153  |  Link
m.rup

Yes, but I don't want to press some buttons repeatedly before watching a movie. Therefore, if there is Pop-Up menu and Top Menu functionality prohibited, I blank these trailers.
Old 30th October 2016, 17:41   #25154  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Hi, when backing up 'Insurgent', region B, I noticed that BD Rebuilder in Movie-Only mode did not select the main feature (21,13 GB) but instead went for some block of extras (14,33 GB). Interestingly, as well in Full Backup mode as in Movie & Menus mode the main feature is identified correctly. 'Divergent' and 'Allegiant' didn't cause any problems in Movie-Only mode.
In multiAVCHD, these traillers appeared as 'menu SP' items. I blanked them there and then processed the output with BD Rebuilder, this seemed to work, but I haven't watched the movie yet.
Any ideas how 'Insurgent' differs from 'Divergent' and 'Allegiant'?
Maybe an option to select main feature manually in Movie-Only mode could help in such cases?
Other Movie-Only Playlist
Attached Images

gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 19:44   #25155  |  Link
m.rup

Shame!

Otherwise, I was wrong when saying that Movie & Menu mode works correctly. Indeed the correct stream is expanded, but the extras are still not set to be blanked.
Besides, what's the reason that I can't see the leading trailers (as well as legal warnings and such stuff that is displayed in multiAVCHD)? Are there other options I also missed?
Old 30th October 2016, 20:59   #25156  |  Link
gonca

From HIDDENOPTS
Quote:
MIN_M2TS_SIZE=n n = minimum size required for BD-RB processing in MB, default is 100
MIN_PLAYLIST_MINS=n n = minimum size (in minutes, default=15) for a playlist to be a movie-only choice
Try adjusting the first one in DBRebuilder.ini
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 21:07   #25157  |  Link
m.rup

Thanks, I will play around with this setting (at the moment, a backup is running), setting MIN_M2TS_SIZE to very small values will result in seeing that warning stuff?

Last edited by m.rup; 30th October 2016 at 21:16.
Old 30th October 2016, 23:40   #25158  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Yes, but I don't want to press some buttons repeatedly before watching a movie.
Ah, OK. But, it is only a single button, not buttons.
Old 30th October 2016, 23:46   #25159  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Thanks, I will play around with this setting (at the moment, a backup is running), setting MIN_M2TS_SIZE to very small values will result in seeing that warning stuff?
I'm not sure why you would want those stupid warnings on your backup. Those warnings are obnoxious.

Since they are only about 5 seconds long, the MIN_M2TS_SIZE will need to be set to 4 seconds.
Old 30th October 2016, 23:50   #25160  |  Link
m.rup

I don't want the warnings on my backups! I want to see them in BD Rebuilders streams list, so I can blank them.