Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 14th November 2013, 21:03   #18301  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It turns out that the issue exists because the video was 1280x720 @ 29.97fps -- which is an illegal BD format. During video imports BD-RB is supposed to catch that kind of thing and make adjustments. It missed that one. I've added code so that the input is resized (during reencode) to 1920x1080@29.97 (which is a legal format). The other option would have been to change the frame rate to 59.94fps -- but I think that would be a less optimal solution.
I was really hoping the video would be left alone as to not degrade it any further. Even though iPad 2+ use a higher resolution, the actual quality isn't as good as it could be. If it were, though, a lot more data would be used on already small storage space. Mine is 64GB. I thought 1280x720 is legal for Blu-ray, but I knew 29.96fps isn't. I doubted there would be a way to change the FPS without reencoding. Still there was hope. Which explains why some other programs I tried making Blu-ray or AVCHD's with always reencoded.

Now I'm really curious and don't get something... Windows Media Player Classic shows this:

Original MOV: Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 29.97fps 10326kbps [Video]
Audio: AAC 44100Hz mono 63kbps [Audio]

Converted to m2ts during Import: Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 29.97fps [Video]
Audio: Dolby AC3 44100Hz stereo 192kbps [Audio]
Only the audio was changed.

From there clicked "Backup" and created Alternate MKV: Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 29.97fps [Video]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo 192kbps [Audio]

Then copied both M2TS and MKV to the directory of my originals. Exited (for testing) BD-RB, and deleted the Imports and MKV from the Working Path.

Then loaded BD-RB again, Imported the M2TS and MKV then burned the resulting output and played with my LG player. The M2TS import produced the "stuttering" sound, but when switching, Disc Menu and Selecting, the 2nd, from MKV, played just as the original..without "Stutter". So, it seems the video 1280x720 is okay and I see 2 changes in the audio. Mono to Stereo and frequency changes that SEEM to have something to do with it. Perhaps a bug unnoticed as of, yet? A lot of wondering here. Is my LG player playing fine...something that should be illegal in the audio and not the video?
Old 14th November 2013, 22:40   #18302  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
Just my two cents, I have used directshowmvcsource with autocrop in past and it didn't cause any problem or lead to unexpected behavior for me. However I created monoscopic frame for further processing.
I tried it with and then without, and the only change was commenting out the AutoCrop() line. It worked when commented out, it failed when it wasn't. That doesn't leave a lot to chance.
Old 14th November 2013, 22:47   #18303  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
I was really hoping the video would be left alone as to not degrade it any further. Even though iPad 2+ use a higher resolution, the actual quality isn't as good as it could be. If it were, though, a lot more data would be used on already small storage space. Mine is 64GB. I thought 1280x720 is legal for Blu-ray, but I knew 29.96fps isn't. I doubted there would be a way to change the FPS without reencoding. Still there was hope. Which explains why some other programs I tried making Blu-ray or AVCHD's with always reencoded.

Now I'm really curious and don't get something... Windows Media Player Classic shows this:

Original MOV: Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 29.97fps 10326kbps [Video]
Audio: AAC 44100Hz mono 63kbps [Audio]

Converted to m2ts during Import: Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 29.97fps [Video]
Audio: Dolby AC3 44100Hz stereo 192kbps [Audio]
Only the audio was changed.

From there clicked "Backup" and created Alternate MKV: Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 29.97fps [Video]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo 192kbps [Audio]

Then copied both M2TS and MKV to the directory of my originals. Exited (for testing) BD-RB, and deleted the Imports and MKV from the Working Path.

Then loaded BD-RB again, Imported the M2TS and MKV then burned the resulting output and played with my LG player. The M2TS import produced the "stuttering" sound, but when switching, Disc Menu and Selecting, the 2nd, from MKV, played just as the original..without "Stutter". So, it seems the video 1280x720 is okay and I see 2 changes in the audio. Mono to Stereo and frequency changes that SEEM to have something to do with it. Perhaps a bug unnoticed as of, yet? A lot of wondering here. Is my LG player playing fine...something that should be illegal in the audio and not the video?
All I can say is the example you gave me plays back fine on my SAMSUNG player after importing and encoding, even without the changes (both audio and video are fine). But that's probably because the player is loose with the standard. Strictly speaking it shouldn't play the 720p@29.97fps at all, no matter what. But... it is fine for MKV -- and might playback fine as an MKV even on the same player.

It's possible that BD-RB made a mistake when converting to stereo -- but I also know that MPC is wrong a lot when it reports audio types so I wouldn't make a bet either way. I see MPC reporting stereo as 6 channels all the time. I'll look at the AAC->AC3 reencode and see what's up.

It is possible to change a framerate from 29.97fps to 59.94fps without reencoding using pulldown/rff flags. But it doesn't work very well on blu-ray or with TSMUXER.

I wouldn't worry about reencoding. With the kind of bitrate you will typically get on this kind of backup, you're getting a virtually lossless backup even with reencoding.

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th November 2013 at 23:01.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 23:10   #18304  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
I tried it with and then without, and the only change was commenting out the AutoCrop() line. It worked when commented out, it failed when it wasn't. That doesn't leave a lot to chance.
Hmm, I must have overlooked something. Let me try again and see what happens, in the meantime I am assuming your output is side by side and resize is done within script.

Also if not to much of hassle can you post avisynth script related to this. I really want to compare this with mine and see what is happening.

[Update] I just tried again and yes indeed it doesn't play nice with directshowmvcsource plugin. However I use different decoder ssifsource2, but labaled as ssifsource3 and so far autocrop worked since I am encoding right know.

[Update2] Jdobbs, this script works for me give it a try and let me know if it works for you as well.

Quote:

LoadPlugin("D:\BD-RBV04502\BD_Rebuilder\stereoplayer.exe\SsifSource2.dll")

LoadPlugin("D:\BD-RBV04502\BD_Rebuilder\tools\autocrop.dll")

VIEW1=SsifSource3("J:\BDMV\STREAM\SSIF\00950.ssif; 187800", avc_view = true, mvc_view = false)

VIEW2=SsifSource3("J:\BDMV\STREAM\SSIF\00950.ssif; 187800", avc_view = false, mvc_view = true)

StackHorizontal(VIEW1,VIEW2).BicubicResize(1920,1080)

ConvertToYV12().AssumeFPS(24000,1001)

Autocrop(Mode=0)
X264 encoder working as it should and I also viewed the result of output from encoder.

Last edited by HWK; 15th November 2013 at 01:24. Reason: Add additional information after update
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 01:32   #18305  |  Link
AmigaFuture

@ JDobbs

I'm not worried at all. I know, that's a statement a lot of people make very loosely. I appreciate the info and you will check the AAC->AC-3 encoding. I'm going to do some further checking.
Old 15th November 2013, 03:27   #18306  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Are you trying to create a single disc from two? Below is how. Keep in mind that you might want to use more meaningful names -- and you can edit your output menu's text:

1. Create a folder to hold the two discs. For example, you might create a folder called "D:\BOTH_DISCS"

2. Rip the two BDs into that folder. It might look like this:
D:\BOTH_DISCS
D:\BOTH_DISCS\DISC_1
D:\BOTH_DISCS\DISC_2

3. Open up BD-RB and select IMPORT and IMPORT BD(s) from the FILES menu. Then browse for D:\BOTH_DISCS

4. The import will take a few minutes, depending on how many discs you are importing. If you haven't created a default path for imports with the IMPORT_FOLDER hidden option, the result of the import will be in your Working Path. Let's say your working path is "D:\WORKING". So you should now have a new folder called "D:\WORKING\IMPORTS".

5. If you look in that folder you'll find another new folder called "BOTH_DISCS" -- if it is small enough (not likely) you could burn that folder. If you have a computer based player like PowerDVD 11, etc, you can point to it and test it. But since it is likely too large you move on to step 6.

6. From BD-RB select "D:\WORKING\BOTH_DISCS" as your source folder. Choose an output folder (or keep it as "D:\WORKING")... also choose an output target size.

7. Do a Full backup. At the end of the process you will have a folder called BOTH_DISCS in your working folder. It will be sized to match your target -- and you can burn it to disc.
Dear jdobbs

Just tried to play the quick play with the detailed guide you indicate, but as I could not play on my pc, just burn it on a BD25 and reproduced in my bluray player, tried with two full bluray disc of a tv show.

The problem is everything was fine, started the menu, images, music etc but i note that there was no play, no buttons to give play. Not even responded to the remote control commands. There was displayed as a panel where the buttons were supposedly are but did not appear either.

You can fix this dear jdobbs?

Sorry, Google translation, i really do my best

Last edited by Blurayhd; 15th November 2013 at 04:33.
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 15:25   #18307  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
Dear jdobbs

Just tried to play the quick play with the detailed guide you indicate, but as I could not play on my pc, just burn it on a BD25 and reproduced in my bluray player, tried with two full bluray disc of a tv show.

The problem is everything was fine, started the menu, images, music etc but i note that there was no play, no buttons to give play. Not even responded to the remote control commands. There was displayed as a panel where the buttons were supposedly are but did not appear either.

You can fix this dear jdobbs?

Sorry, Google translation, i really do my best
It sounds like the menu was never produced. I'd need more details (like the log showing the import and the encode) to see what might be happening.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:54   #18308  |  Link
jdobbs

BD Rebuilder v0.45.04 (beta)

I have updated the first post of this thread with links to the latest version (v0.45.04) of BD-RB. Changes for this release:
Code:
- Corrected an issue in which setting of the
  "Attempt to find original background" item
  in the Import/Quick-Play dialog was not
  functioning correctly.
- Added a new item to the Import/Quick-Play
  setup dialog that enabled reauthoring
  to play items sequentially rather than return
  to the menu at completion of each.
- Fixed an error in which the overall Menu 
  Title was not appearing when importing DVDs
  or video files while Quick-Play output was 
  selected.  Also corrects possible loss of 
  edited title names, especially when importing 
  directly from a read-only device.
- Added an new item to the Import/Quick-Play
  setup dialog that lets the user decide
  whether to start disc playback at the menu or
  go directly to the first play item.
- Changed the default foreground color for the
  active MENU item to GREEN.
- Added a HIDDEN option MENU_ACTIVE_COLOR that
  allows you to choose a color for characters 
  other than GREEN to represent the active 
  item in a menu. (see HIDDENOPTS.TXT).
- Added a HIDDEN option TWEAK_ALTERNATE that
  allows adding specific X264 command line
  options to encodes destined for alternate
  output to MKV and MP4 (cTypes 1 & 5 only). 
  The tweaks are appended to any other defined 
  tweaks in TWEAK_PASS_ONE and TWEAK_PASS_TWO.  
  The TWEAK_ALTERNATE option is not filtered 
  to retain BD compliance as the other tweaks
  are.
- Added checks so that previous MENU edits are
  not retained when the IMPORT_THRESHOLD value
  changes.  This should avoid naming confusion
  since the threshold can change the number
  and position of playitems that are included 
  in an import.
- Fixed an error in which importing very small
  video files followed by a full-backup could
  result in an unplayable structure.
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th November 2013 at 17:05.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:59   #18309  |  Link
A.Fenderson

Wow, jdobbs, you've been very busy--yet again! Thanks for another fast and promising update. :-)
A.Fenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 17:02   #18310  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK
Hmm, I must have overlooked something. Let me try again and see what happens, in the meantime I am assuming your output is side by side and resize is done within script.

Also if not to much of hassle can you post avisynth script related to this. I really want to compare this with mine and see what is happening.

[Update] I just tried again and yes indeed it doesn't play nice with directshowmvcsource plugin. However I use different decoder ssifsource2, but labaled as ssifsource3 and so far autocrop worked since I am encoding right know.

[Update2] Jdobbs, this script works for me give it a try and let me know if it works for you as well.

Quote:

LoadPlugin("D:\BD-RBV04502\BD_Rebuilder\stereoplayer.exe\SsifSource2.dll")
LoadPlugin("D:\BD-RBV04502\BD_Rebuilder\tools\autocrop.dll")
VIEW1=SsifSource3("J:\BDMV\STREAM\SSIF\00950.ssif; 187800", avc_view = true, mvc_view = false)
VIEW2=SsifSource3("J:\BDMV\STREAM\SSIF\00950.ssif; 187800", avc_view = false, mvc_view = true)
StackHorizontal(VIEW1,VIEW2).BicubicResize(1920,1080)
ConvertToYV12().AssumeFPS(24000,1001)
Autocrop(Mode=0)

X264 encoder working as it should and I also viewed the result of output from encoder.
I did a lot of testing with SSIFSource3 some time back. Unless it has changed a lot since then I found it to not be stable enough to include as an option. I can't remember all the issues -- but I do remember they were substantial. That's when I decided to stick only with DirectshowMVCSource.
Old 15th November 2013, 17:11   #18311  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
I did a lot of testing with SSIFSource3 some time back. Unless it has changed a lot since then I found it to not be stable enough to include as an option. I can't remember all the issues -- but I do remember they were substantial. That's when I decided to stick only with DirectshowMVCSource.
Do you want to give another try and see if it works, at most you may loose some time to test it but you will be sure that it can be ruled out if it doesn't work.

Also few days back I remember new version of ssifsource was released. I am not sure if r0lz has included in his package or not.
Old 15th November 2013, 17:27   #18312  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
Do you want to give another try and see if it works, at most you may loose some time to test it but you will be sure that it can be ruled out if it doesn't work.

Also few days back I remember new version of ssifsource was released. I am not sure if r0lz has included in his package or not.
I'll test it, but I really don't want to put too much more time & effort into SBS & O/U 3D support. It works pretty well now and with recent updates to the new version of TSMUXER and newer tools that use the Intel MVC SDK, the time is getting close for reliably creating truly compliant BD 3D. I'd rather concentrate my efforts in that direction.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th November 2013 at 17:30.
Old 15th November 2013, 18:04   #18313  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
I'll test it, but I really don't want to put too much more time & effort into SBS & O/U 3D support. It works pretty well now and with recent updates to the new version of TSMUXER and newer tools that use the Intel MVC SDK, the time is getting close for reliably creating truly compliant BD 3D. I'd rather concentrate my efforts in that direction.
Marvelous, I think it is about time to steer into that direction. Just food for thought I found using pipe between decoder and encoder works best and if you plan to add it do consider this since it doesn't create temp file and not to mention when they are two of them.

Also small request, if possible create three steps process in BD-RB which is similar to DVD-RB Professional. I want to use Mainconcept MVC encoder since it can handle avisynth script and utilize all cores of cpu and processing power (12 * 4.2 GHZ)

My Idea is BD-RB prepare files to encode, then encode and rebuild and for me in second stage I redirect encoding task to Mainconcept instead of Intel Media SDK and once done just rebuild normally within BD-RB.

Last edited by HWK; 15th November 2013 at 18:24.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 18:05   #18314  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
the time is getting close for reliably creating truly compliant BD 3D. I'd rather concentrate my efforts in that direction.
Yes, a million times yes.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 18:35   #18315  |  Link
colinhunt

Whoa. I re-purposed an 18-month old video editing PC for testing duties and I'm now running the first encode on the v0.45.04 on it. I've got quality set to 4, i.e. Ultra High, and making a full backup of disc 1 of Revolution tv show. BD-RB reported 101 fps for pass 1 and 16-19 fps for pass 2. That's pretty awesome, methinks.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 18:39   #18316  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
Whoa. I re-purposed an 18-month old video editing PC for testing duties and I'm now running the first encode on the v0.45.04 on it. I've got quality set to 4, i.e. Ultra High, and making a full backup of disc 1 of Revolution tv show. BD-RB reported 101 fps for pass 1 and 16-19 fps for pass 2. That's pretty awesome, methinks.
Cool.
Old 15th November 2013, 18:48   #18317  |  Link
soneca

Quote:
I have updated the first post of this thread with links to the latest version (v0.45.04) of BD-RB.
Thanks jdobbs!
soneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 19:50   #18318  |  Link
Glarioo

Tweak MKV

Thank you jdobbs! I'm glad to see there is an hidden option "TWEAK_ALTERNATE=s". But how can i change (tweak) the vbv buffer/maxrate, for a 2-pass MKV, to another value, e.g. 30000?
So i get following LASTCMD:
C:\BD_Rebuilder\tools\x264.exe" "D:\BD-RB WORK\WORKFILES\VID_00001.AVS" --preset slow --bluray-compat --ref 4 --b-adapt 1 --b-pyramid none --weightp 1 --qpmin=0 --bitrate 10372 --level 4.1 --qpfile "D:\BD-RB WORK\WORKFILES\VID_00001.CHP" --aud --nal-hrd vbr --pic-struct --vbv-bufsize 30000 --keyint 48 --min-keyint 1 --ipratio 1.1 --pbratio 1.1 --vbv-maxrate 30000 --threads auto --slices 4 --thread-input --stats "

Last edited by Glarioo; 15th November 2013 at 19:57.
Glarioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 19:57   #18319  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glarioo View Post
Thank you jdobbs. I'm glad to see there is an hidden option "TWEAK_ALTERNATE=s". But how can the vbv buffer/maxrate (2-pass MKV) set (tweak) to e.g. 30000?
So i get following LASTCMD:
C:\BD_Rebuilder\tools\x264.exe" "D:\BD-RB WORK\WORKFILES\VID_00001.AVS" --preset slow --bluray-compat --ref 4 --b-adapt 1 --b-pyramid none --weightp 1 --qpmin=0 --bitrate 10372 --level 4.1 --qpfile "D:\BD-RB WORK\WORKFILES\VID_00001.CHP" --aud --nal-hrd vbr --pic-struct --vbv-bufsize 30000 --keyint 48 --min-keyint 1 --ipratio 1.1 --pbratio 1.1 --vbv-maxrate 30000 --threads auto --slices 4 --thread-input --stats "
I'm confused. You're asking how to set it to 30000 -- and then show a LASTCMD file that is 30000???

If you want to set the vbv maxrate/buffer to some value -- let's use 25000 and 20000 as an example. You'd add the following to the [Options] area of the config/ini file:

TWEAK_ALTERNATE=--vbv-maxrate 25000 --vbv-bufsize 20000

You don't have to worry about repeating something that is already in the command line -- because earlier settings will be overridden by later settings in the command line.

Those X264 command line options are documented here.

Just remember that the tweak only applies to unrestricted MKV and MP4 output (cType=1 or 5). In other words, it doesn't apply to presets for iPod & iPad, for example. That's because these types of settings could make them incompatible with their target.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th November 2013 at 20:02.
Old 15th November 2013, 20:21   #18320  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@Sharc I did NOT choose to re-encode the audio track to .AC3 - Because, if I remember correctly, if making a BD9, BD-RB AUTOMATICALLY re-encodes HD audio to .AC3 (640kbps)...
Did you ever get this figured out?