Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th December 2018, 19:28   #53881  |  Link
KoD

So, I found out why I did not have 10 bit output in either fullscreen windowed of exclusive modes. It was because I had the "native display bitdepth" set as 8 bit in the madVR display device settings. With this configured to 10 bit, I have 10 bit output in both fullscreen windowed or exclusive modes. It's 8 bit only when the player is not playing fullscreen.

I also remembered why I did not leave the "native display bitdepth" setting to "auto" in madVR. It was because madVR would output 10 bit even when the nvidia driver was configured for 8 bit output (madVR knows this, but it does not seem to matter).
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 22:43   #53882  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
That's correct, and it's working indeed but only when the player window (mpc-hc/be) is fullscreen (doesn't have to be exclusive mode):
- the OSD says "D3D11 fullscreen windowed (10 bit)"
- "10 bit (or higher)" is set in madvr under Devices > device > properties > native display bitdepth
- 12 bit is set for the TV in nvidia control panel
I just got my Q8FN an hour ago so bare with me.
At 4k 60Hz I only have the option of 8bpc in NCP. If I lower it to 30Hz then I get the 12bpc option as well. I was just wondering why there is no 10bpc option anywhere. MadVR reports the display is capable of 8, 10, 12bpc. I'm using a 980 ti and have two HDMI 2.0 cables from monoprice, a 6ft one and a 50ft active one

For my setup I have to go into fullscreen as well. Otherwise madVR is outputting HDR but the TV isn't displaying it (doesn't switch to HDR mode). But fullscreen, exclusive or not, gives NV HDR 12 bit. I didn't have to set 10 bit for native display bitdepth or higher as the auto selected it for me.

Also, what do you have selected in NCP? RGB Full range?

Last edited by Arm3nian; 14th December 2018 at 22:45.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 23:03   #53883  |  Link
dwaleke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
At 4k 60Hz I only have the option of 8bpc in NCP. If I lower it to 30Hz then I get the 12bpc option as well. I was just wondering why there is no 10bpc option anywhere. MadVR reports the display is capable of 8, 10, 12bpc. I'm using a 980 ti and have two HDMI 2.0 cables from monoprice, a 6ft one and a 50ft active one

For my setup I have to go into fullscreen as well. Otherwise madVR is outputting HDR but the TV isn't displaying it (doesn't switch to HDR mode). But fullscreen, exclusive or not, gives NV HDR 12 bit. I didn't have to set 10 bit for native display bitdepth or higher as the auto selected it for me.

HDMI 2.0 does not have enough bandwidth to do 4k60hz 10/12bit RGB output.

You need to drop down to 12bit YCbCr 4:2:2 or 8bit RGB @ > 30hz.
dwaleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 23:12   #53884  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post

You could try to configure things this way: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...438#pid2739438.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 01:02   #53885  |  Link
giulianoprs

why according to the type of file controlling OSD do I have some "dropped frames" (3-6-9 or 12)? this happens above all with files at 23.976 while 25fps files statistics are excellent, 0 dropped frames, 0 repeats! even renders are always lower with files at 25 fps. What could I enable to make sure that there are no "dropped frames"?
I'm using the Chroma upscalling NGU standard medium. Thanks to everyone.
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 03:58   #53886  |  Link
XMonarchY

With madVR's 24Hz custom resolution, I can only select 8bit or empty space in NVidia CP, but my 2008 TV normally allows up to 12bit. The default for 24Hz madVR custom resolution is empty space, but 10bit is selected in madVR and I asked it's some UI bug. Empty space is probably 12bit.

BTW, will madVR utilize NVidia's AI cores to further improve quality?
Old 15th December 2018, 18:10   #53887  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulianoprs View Post
why according to the type of file controlling OSD do I have some "dropped frames" (3-6-9 or 12)? this happens above all with files at 23.976 while 25fps files statistics are excellent, 0 dropped frames, 0 repeats! even renders are always lower with files at 25 fps. What could I enable to make sure that there are no "dropped frames"?
I'm using the Chroma upscalling NGU standard medium. Thanks to everyone.
What does this line say in the OSD?

1 frame drop every xx minutes

It is likely clock jitter, which is normal. The only way to improve that is with a custom resolution. The question is whether you actually noticed any of those dropped frames?
Old 15th December 2018, 20:43   #53888  |  Link
Asmodian

Smooth motion is a great way to avoid dropped frames and not deal with custom refresh rates.
Old 15th December 2018, 23:16   #53889  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
BTW, will madVR utilize NVidia's AI cores to further improve quality?
Asked before. This remains to be seen and if useful it will be a long way off yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Smooth motion is a great way to avoid dropped frames and not deal with custom refresh rates.
It's a wonder why panel manufacturers haven't pushed high refresh rate panels to do this. I expect 100+hz frame blending aka Smooth Motion looks quite good.

Last edited by ryrynz; 15th December 2018 at 23:19.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 23:33   #53890  |  Link
huhn

UHD 120 hz 8 bit panels are pretty much the norm for the high end the problem is just we can't access the 120 hz properly.

maybe with HDMI 2.1 but i guess they will just add more pixels and stay at 60 hz.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 05:45   #53891  |  Link
seiyafan

Got another dumb question, does MadVR favor any of the newer units in RTX vs GTX in terms of performance? For example does 2070 have similar performance as a 1080 the way they do in games? Same thing can be asked for 2080 and 1080Ti.
Thanks!
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 08:41   #53892  |  Link
Asmodian

No, madVR does not use any of the new RTX features, the performance similarities from current games carry over to madVR too.
Old 16th December 2018, 09:02   #53893  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
UHD 120 hz 8 bit panels are pretty much the norm for the high end the problem is just we can't access the 120 hz properly.

maybe with HDMI 2.1 but i guess they will just add more pixels and stay at 60 hz.
Yeah, we'll be able to do it ourselves with madVR at that point but frame blending could've be added by TV manufacturers using the panels unexposed native refresh. With the likes of Tom Cruise and Christopher McQuarrie saying "Please turn Motion interpolation off, this is not how the film should be watched" and with the Soap Opera effect being wildly known and typically despised for over a decade, I wonder why any TV manufacturer hasn't simply added this alternative as an option?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 09:58   #53894  |  Link
giulianoprs

Warner, yesterday I saw 1 movie and an episode of TV series and I did not see anything strange, no shooting and frame lost, but I can not understand why if I look at the OSD I always know those few "dropped frames".
Smooth motion is an "interpolation"? I prefer not to activate "Smooth motion" I prefer the original cadence of the film, with nothing added.

https://imgur.com/a/UPstRZu
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 10:54   #53895  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
Got another dumb question, does MadVR favor any of the newer units in RTX vs GTX in terms of performance? For example does 2070 have similar performance as a 1080 the way they do in games? Same thing can be asked for 2080 and 1080Ti.
Thanks!
As Asmodian said, MadVR doesn't use any of the new features yet, but when/if it does it should make a significant difference.

FYI Madshi himself doesn't advise buying GTX GPUs anymore at this stage but recommends RTX instead. He has made no promises or committed to anything, but it's most likely his intention to take advantage of the new architecture in the future with MadVR.

So no differences now, but down the line possibly a significant one.

If you want best possible PQ in HDR using MAdVR's excellent HDR tonemapping with all options/features available, I wouldn't buy anything below a 2080 (roughly equal to 1080ti), and I recommend a 2080ti if you can afford it to have some headroom. My 1080ti is struggling with the latest HDR test algos and I have to use it in D3D11 native as Copyback isn't up to the task without degrading quality. That means I lose black bar detection with D3D11 native, or have to lower the quality of chroma upscaling (using NGU AA High at the moment, so it's possible to downgrade without too much of a downside visually).

My plan is to upgrade the 1080ti as soon as nVidia releases a model supporting HDMI 2.1 and 7nm, at some point in 2019.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 16th December 2018 at 11:06.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 11:28   #53896  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Any advantage to setting the display/TV to 12-bit in Nvidia control panel when the movie is encoded in 8-bit anyway? Or is it best to just leave it at 8-bit?
Old 16th December 2018, 14:14   #53897  |  Link
Warner306

No, not really.
Old 16th December 2018, 14:17   #53898  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Warner, yesterday I saw 1 movie and an episode of TV series and I did not see anything strange, no shooting and frame lost, but I can not understand why if I look at the OSD I always know those few "dropped frames".
Smooth motion is an "interpolation"? I prefer not to activate "Smooth motion" I prefer the original cadence of the film, with nothing added.

https://imgur.com/a/UPstRZu
It is a bit hard to explain why this happens. Read the section in this post labelled "Custom Modes." Like I said before, it has something to do with the synchronization of the playback clocks:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...942#pid2238942
Old 16th December 2018, 22:29   #53899  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Smooth motion is not interpolation, it is designed to get the movie to play at its original cadence while playing on the display's refresh rate. Please trust your eyes.
Old 17th December 2018, 02:35   #53900  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yeah, we'll be able to do it ourselves with madVR at that point but frame blending could've be added by TV manufacturers using the panels unexposed native refresh. With the likes of Tom Cruise and Christopher McQuarrie saying "Please turn Motion interpolation off, this is not how the film should be watched" and with the Soap Opera effect being wildly known and typically despised for over a decade, I wonder why any TV manufacturer hasn't simply added this alternative as an option?
because frame rate matching is hands down the better alternative.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling