Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st April 2020, 10:56   #58961  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
In term of what users want, which improvements you wish madVR could do in future ? I dont see that very clearly.
1. General software maintaining, compatibility with new OS builds and GPU drivers
2. NGU upscaling quality and speed improvements
3. HDR processing speed and quality improvements
4. Smooth motion improvements (Motion-Compensated Frame Interpolation)
Old 1st April 2020, 11:15   #58962  |  Link
kettyo

Guys, why aren't you rather very glad about the super product we've been using for years now for free?

Personally i wouldn't mind paying something to keep it going but of course i'd be sad to see it discontinued.
kettyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 11:35   #58963  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
No point in speculation
Why not? It doesn't happen much here anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
NO ONE, not even madshi, knows what the future holds for the free version of madvr.
And that's the whole point of the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
It may not be the best business plan, but I think we can agree that any of those plans is still better than what he has been doing for the last 10+ years, developing madvR for 0 money.
Errr, donation could have been already enabled in the early years.
But we have to see that at that time it was 1 of 100,000s hobby projects out there beside of his regular job (whether it's full time or contracting). Let alone, if you sell something then you have to do support.
I think he didn't think about this at all, probably an idea came to do this business and earn money. But I agree with @tp4tissue, software is way more easier (even in Win10 time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
In term of what users want, which improvements you wish madVR could do in future ?
If we only stick to current HDR development, this is what comes to mind:
- HDR10+ / HLG passthrough support (I don't even mention DoVi )
- fixing bug in madtpg with HDR10 output when processing bar is hidden
Old 1st April 2020, 11:38   #58964  |  Link
jkauff

Maybe the partners would be satisfied if the software version of madVR didn't include any HDR functionality (tone mapping in particular), and just did straight passthrough. None of madshi's test builds on AVS Forum are official, and so would not be supported in any way for those who managed to get a copy.

Madshi could then limit his madVR work to bug fixing and NGU improvements. It would in no way be in competition with or function as an alternative to Envy.

I think many of us here would support a $50 madVR version 1.0.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 13:34   #58965  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Right, and you completely SKIPPED the part where madshi said that it was not HIS wish and something that they are going to discuss after the Envy is released. But whatever. There's no arguing with you.
There's no arguing with me, because you're wrong.

The partner has already made it clear what HAS Happened. This isn't mis-information, this is a stated fact.

The partner who sells lumagen got tanked sales when his competitor began selling madvr equipped / specced htpcs.

I've made no claim as to what will happen in the future.

I've only made the speculation that IF the team goes down the Hardware route, It is likely - but not definite- that we won't have full madvr features on software, or potentially a thoroughly discontinued pc side.

Finally, I've said, hardware @ those prices, is going to be a tough sell in the world wide Recession. Adding more middlemen makes hardware less profitable, and you'd be dependent on the sales/marketing capability or potentially lack there of, of that salesforce. Live-salesforce is also prone to regional saturation. there are only so many potential buyers in service locations.

We all want Madshi to succeed, that's why we're speculating, it is to supply consumer perspective/ information.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 1st April 2020 at 14:05.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 14:10   #58966  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettyo View Post
Personally i wouldn't mind paying something to keep it going but of course i'd be sad to see it discontinued.
Same here. I'm ready to pay for madVR reasonable amount of money (up to 100$), but not sure that it's development will be continued.
Old 1st April 2020, 14:18   #58967  |  Link
clsid

He has only said that the new advanced features of the Envy might not be coming to madVR. That doesn't mean there won't be improvements to the basic functionality of madVR. Nor does it mean there can't be a paid version of madVR with a subset of Envy features.

There are over 8 million MPC-HC users which also have madVR installed, of which the majority is not yet actively using it. So there is a huge potential for a larger active userbase. And thus a lot of potential for promoting the madVR/Envy brand and generating revenue from pro licenses.

First step should not be to add more features. It should be to have an additional simplified view of the settings for the less tech-savvy users. And smarter automatic configuration.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 14:49   #58968  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
There are over 8 million MPC-HC users which also have madVR installed, of which the majority is not yet actively using it.
clsid, are these numbers published anywhere ? the user for mpc and madvr
Old 1st April 2020, 14:59   #58969  |  Link
clsid

No. But based on facts I know of.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 20:23   #58970  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
4. Smooth motion improvements (Motion-Compensated Frame Interpolation)
AI frame interpolation would be great, but it's hard to do it in real time and I don't think madshi is very interested anyway.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 21:01   #58971  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
AI frame interpolation would be great, but it's hard to do it in real time and I don't think madshi is very interested anyway.
But most TVs only support 60Hz input (which isn't a multiple of 24fps), so I don't see how you would do any good motion interpolation outside the display.

Motion interpolation on TVs usually happens at 120 or 240Hz internally.

Last edited by SirMaster; 1st April 2020 at 21:10.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 21:09   #58972  |  Link
SirMaster

madshi never said he wouldn't maintain the free madVR software.

He only said that he might not add new algorithms to the free software. That has yet to be thought about and determined. He also said that he wouldn't be against a paid pro version of the HTPC software.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 21:38   #58973  |  Link
huhn

240 HZ interpolation is marketing is wasn't possible get this refreshrate on A PC screens the first 240 HZ VA is "just" released.
even TN panels have some troubles with 240.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 21:55   #58974  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
Madvr AI Render Cluster, $200,000 4x Titan RTX + 2x AMD Epyc Milan 64c/128t (128c/256t)

Last edited by tp4tissue; 1st April 2020 at 21:57.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 22:37   #58975  |  Link
Alexkral

At least for Super Resolution the models can always be reduced, less layers, less filters... Look at the FSRCNNX shaders.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2020, 00:43   #58976  |  Link
mclingo

I have to admit I also think the hardware route is going to turn out to be a mistake for many reasons already covered, I think it would have been a better idea to develop a full movie player package with MADVR at its heart and sell that along with a stand alone license for use with other players, the stand alone license would be a few bucks cheaper. Having a multi tier license / player would then pull in cash from enthusiasts like us but also those people who want to just plug and play but have the best quality possible, and all those in between. He could have done that all himself and not required any partners or backers.

But Madshi probably isnt doing this to get rich, he's doing what he wants to do and enjoying himself so we should respect that and wish him well as i'm sure we all do.
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:34   #58977  |  Link
wasper

Hello everyone,

I need some helps. I have an Intel card GPU is able to do HEVC decoding at 4K 10 bits. I have a video that is HDR 59fpf at 4k. This video play just fine n VLC. I can't play it in MADVR. The problem is probably related to the use of the GPU for decoding.

LAV at 0.74.1

The left pane is the use of the GPU by VLC, the right pane by MADVR. Any idea why isn't using gpu like VLC?

Last edited by wasper; 2nd April 2020 at 03:48.
wasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:46   #58978  |  Link
wolfman2791

I'd pay a subscription without blinking if it would keep madvr going....
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2020, 07:36   #58979  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasper View Post
Any idea why isn't using gpu like VLC?
Have you enabled hardware decoding in LAV Video?
Old 2nd April 2020, 15:31   #58980  |  Link
wolfman2791

So.... madvr free version is going to stop or get watered down very likely. How about madvr for jriver?
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling