Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th July 2019, 13:30   #56961  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
nnedi3 is a neural network scaler waifux2 is one and NGU is nearly for sure also trained by a NN too.
there even is nvidia DLSS with questionable quality.
Of those only nnedi3 can be used for video encoding which is what I said, and only through avisynth/vapoursynth.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 13:43   #56962  |  Link
huhn

no https://github.com/HomeOfVapourSynth...-Waifu2x-caffe

and there is a way to load shaders in avisynth so if you have the shader for NGU you could encode with it right now.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 14:17   #56963  |  Link
Alexkral

Yeah, I had forgotten that, there is also an Avisynth plugin but both are extremely slow.

It would be great a NGU shader that could be used by Avisynth Shader, there is already a FSRCNN shader for mpv, maybe it can also be used in the same way.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 21:45   #56964  |  Link
kolak

I assume this is a news which madVR can benefit from:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14682...-geforce-cards
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 21:59   #56965  |  Link
Asmodian

It is not. madVR does not use OpenGL at all.
Old 29th July 2019, 23:27   #56966  |  Link
kolak

But it could. Is it not "better" and gives more control? Good pro apps use OpenGL for displaying things.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 23:46   #56967  |  Link
ryrynz

I expect it never will. Moving on.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 01:51   #56968  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
But it could. Is it not "better" and gives more control? Good pro apps use OpenGL for displaying things.
No it is not better. Old pro apps use it only because they already do. D3D has supported 10 bit on consumer GPUs for years now, we do not gain anything from this.

If madVR switched to OpenGL my favorite player wouldn't work with it anymore.
Old 30th July 2019, 04:43   #56969  |  Link
Limberjork

I'm wondering if anyone can explain this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/zGsB4T9.png

This is after about 40 minutes of playback. MadVR thinks there should be a frame drop every 2 minutes, but there isn't. Playback is 100% perfect. The presentation glitches are all from either adjusting the volume (there is exactly 1 presentation glitch every time the Windows volume indicator fades out) or looking at the seekbar (again 1 glitch every time the seekbar goes away).

This is without using ReClock or any custom display mode. Could this have something to do with GSYNC (it's a GSYNC display btw), or does the Nvidia driver just happen to give me a video clock that's remarkably in sync with the audio clock at this refresh rate? This is in contrast to my other non-GSYNC display, which has a 24hz mode, but Nvidia gives me a clock of like 23.977hz, so I get a frame repeat about once every 12 minutes without using ReClock or custom display modes.

Also just wanna throw in a quick thanks for madshi for doing so much for the HTPC community. It seems like nothing else really compares to madVR in terms of quality or features and it's awesome that it has been and continues to be free software.
Limberjork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 04:48   #56970  |  Link
fourbigkids

Hi all.

I am running MPC-BE v.1.5.3 with madvr 127.0.0.1 on a Windows 10 HTPC with an Nvidia RTX 2060. The video is fed via HDMI to a pre-pro and then to a Sony TV XBR85X850F. It can also be fed directly to the TV. I have madvr setup to open full screen and to change the refresh rate of the TV to match the video file. This works fine about 50% of the time. For the other 50% the video opens and plays as expected, full screen and with the adjusted refresh rate, but the menu bar is not available when placing the cursor at the bottom of the screen and right clicking does not open the context menu. There is no way to control playback when this occurs. However, if I double click on the video on screen to 'restore down', taking the application out of fullscreen mode, the menu bar and context menus return. Once the fault occurs it then keeps happening on each successive file until I reboot the computer. It then plays as expected for a random period of time and/or playback of a random number of files.

There does not seem to be any common characteristics in the files that this fault occurs. Could be anything, an .avi, .mp4, or mkv etc. But next time they could play faultlessly.

Has anyone encountered this sort of behaviour before and managed to resolve it?

Appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Allan.

ps. Could you please let me know if this is better dealt with in another thread. a
fourbigkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 07:52   #56971  |  Link
svengun

3d lut

HI , Saturday I am planning to create a 3D LUT.

I have a x-rite i1display pro colorimeter , with accompanied x-rite software , but also Calman software

Which would be better for MadVR usage ?

1- CalMAN Setup Guide: madVR 3D LUT Calibration

2- Calman Studio ?
Old 30th July 2019, 08:00   #56972  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limberjork View Post
I'm wondering if anyone can explain this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/zGsB4T9.png
madVR does not report a drop when it presents a video frame for 4 screen updates instead of 5. At 120Hz with 24fps video you never need to actually drop or repeat an entire frame so you never see a drop/repeat due to timing inconsistencies. This is even true when watching on a 60Hz display, sometimes you get 1 or 2 screen updates for a frame when the pattern expected 2 or 3, but no frame is actually dropped to sync the timing to the refresh rate and there isn't even an OSD line for repeated frames (simply 3 or 4 updates).

The OSD report for drops/repeats is based off a perfect pattern, so 3:2 for 24 into 60. Sometimes that line is not very important. We can notice the judder from a frame presented for a single update instead of two but I am not sure about 4 or 6 updates instead of 5.

madVR hates G-sync, you should make sure it is off for your video player (for a better refresh rate turn it off entirely and use 119Hz... but it is so nice in games and turning it off and on all the time is annoying so...). madVR expects the video card to have a precise v-sync event, not one that floats around due to the timing the software presents frames at. madVR does not precisely time when it presents frames. It is even worse with smooth motion and can go very odd, I get drifting frame rates anywhere from ~10-144.

G-sync off for the video player and smooth motion on works very very well at 120+ Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svengun View Post
but also Calman software
I am not sure what you mean by 1 or 2, I like the Calman's ColorCube workflow for creating a 3DLUT for madVR.

Last edited by Asmodian; 30th July 2019 at 08:03.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 08:10   #56973  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Saturday I am planning to create a 3D LUT.
And you can also use the opensource DisplayCal.
Which display do you want to profile? Philips Oled?
Old 30th July 2019, 08:51   #56974  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i can't find a single line that talks about banding.
"Updates an issue that may display colors incorrectly when viewing an image on 10-bit display panels." this should have nothing todo with it. the problem is present on all types of display from 6 to 10 bit.
because you didn't look at google, but as usual you spend most of your effort to be kind as a boot in the ass.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/04/wi...adients-issue/

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/windo...-improvements/

c'mon it's easy......

Mediaportal - Mpc-hc
MADVR-D3D11/10bit

Last edited by mrmojo666; 30th July 2019 at 10:02.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 09:31   #56975  |  Link
svengun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
And you can also use the opensource DisplayCal.
Which display do you want to profile? Philips Oled?
yes, firstly my new Philips Oled (97% DCI-P3) so I'm thinking to start with a bt2020 3DLUT

After that the 709

When succesfull, I will do my LG Oled
Old 30th July 2019, 10:24   #56976  |  Link
svengun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I am not sure what you mean by 1 or 2, I like the Calman's ColorCube workflow for creating a 3DLUT for madVR.
Hi Asmodian,

as I understood it , there a several software programs to achieve creating a 3D LUT . (my intent is to use this 100% just for MadVR)

My question was, which program achieves the best result for that. Calman studio (with or without using MadVR TPG) , or another program like LightSpace. If there isn't much difference in regards to quality , then maybe there is in terms of friendly to use (not a huge learning curve)
Old 30th July 2019, 10:47   #56977  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
because you didn't look at google, but as usual you spend most of your effort to be kind as a boot in the ass.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/04/wi...adients-issue/

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/windo...-improvements/

c'mon it's easy......

delightful:
It appears, however, that Microsoft introduces a new bug that causes banding on gradients even when calibration is not active. Any program or game that loads an ICC profile may be affected by the issue.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 11:05   #56978  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Hi Asmodian,

as I understood it , there a several software programs to achieve creating a 3D LUT . (my intent is to use this 100% just for MadVR)

My question was, which program achieves the best result for that. Calman studio (with or without using MadVR TPG) , or another program like LightSpace. If there isn't much difference in regards to quality , then maybe there is in terms of friendly to use (not a huge learning curve)
Calman has a FAR better madVR implementation than Lightspace. Much more user friendly. Results are about the same. It is worth trying DisplayCAL, because it produces excellent results too, and Florian provides superb support for madVR users, which isn't the case for Lighspace or Calman. Their implentation has been set in stone for a few years and getting any bug fix/change/improvement from either is like pulling teeth.

If my Discus was supported by DisplayCAL, I'd definitely be using it.

So assuming meter(s) is/are supported by all three, the order I would suggest is:

1) DisplayCAL
2) Calman
3) Lightspace
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 30th July 2019 at 11:08.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 11:44   #56979  |  Link
svengun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
If my Discus was supported by DisplayCAL, I'd definitely be using it.
1) DisplayCAL
2) Calman
3) Lightspace
Many thanks ! ( I did see Florian recently did an update for DissplayCal in regards to new WIN10 issues. )

Is Florian the same person as Soulnight / Flo ? (From AVS thread: improving-madvr-hdr-sdr-mapping-projector)

Last edited by svengun; 30th July 2019 at 11:46.
svengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 12:47   #56980  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbigkids View Post
Hi all.

I am running MPC-BE v.1.5.3 with madvr 127.0.0.1 on a Windows 10 HTPC with an Nvidia RTX 2060. The video is fed via HDMI to a pre-pro and then to a Sony TV XBR85X850F. It can also be fed directly to the TV. I have madvr setup to open full screen and to change the refresh rate of the TV to match the video file. This works fine about 50% of the time. For the other 50% the video opens and plays as expected, full screen and with the adjusted refresh rate, but the menu bar is not available when placing the cursor at the bottom of the screen and right clicking does not open the context menu. There is no way to control playback when this occurs. However, if I double click on the video on screen to 'restore down', taking the application out of fullscreen mode, the menu bar and context menus return. Once the fault occurs it then keeps happening on each successive file until I reboot the computer. It then plays as expected for a random period of time and/or playback of a random number of files.

There does not seem to be any common characteristics in the files that this fault occurs. Could be anything, an .avi, .mp4, or mkv etc. But next time they could play faultlessly.

Has anyone encountered this sort of behaviour before and managed to resolve it?

Appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Allan.

ps. Could you please let me know if this is better dealt with in another thread. a
Can you right-click on the video and get any of the other MPC-BE options to show? Are you using fullscreen exclusive mode? If so, try disabling it.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling