Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 10th November 2022, 16:52   #1  |  Link
DanDare1983

Use of NVENC, how's the quality and what GPU's are Compatible?

I'm currently using an i9 12900k with BD-rebuilder and noticed that the program supports NVENC and not Quicksync. I don't actually use a GPU and was wondering what gpu's bd rebuilder supports as I was thinking of giving it a try if the quality is not too bad. Talking of quality can anyone give me some opinions on the quality using NVENC and roughly how quick it is compared to using the CPU? THANKYOU
DanDare1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2022, 14:08   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

With Blu-ray quality in mind:

2160p50 H.265: Depending on your GPU/CPU NVEncC can be roughly 20..40 times faster (RTX3080 30fps)
compared to a i9 11900K CPU x265 veryslow @0,6fps,
but to get quality out of NVEncC you got to have the latest Rigaya,
hand over proper parameters (I had to use StaxRip for that) and give a lot of bits.

Personal opinion about picture quality (on a LG 4K OLED 55" @ 4ft)
Let a hard-to-encode source be 100%,
and 99% my personal encoder's loss tolerance.
x264: 98..99% at 40Mbps 1080p24 8bit
x265: 94..97% at 40..48Mbps 2160p50 10bit
NVEncC H.265 from 6.12 on with lots of bits like CRF12: 90..92% 2160p50 10bit
(I did not try NVEncC H.264 too much, given that I am perfectly fine with x264)
What suffers first ? Gradients suffer, wet patches occur in low detailed areas.

P.S. That behaviour is more or less reported similar for these 3 hardware encoders
that come today with consumers/prosumers CPUs (QSVEnc, Intel, VCEEnc, AMD) and GPUs (NVEnc, nVidia)
Quick means quick, not necessarily precise.
Good for the occasional preview, sending clips to friends, relatives, business partners just for information,
even realtime encoding, streaming, but not (yet) for cinema-like entertainment.

x265: Slower presets gives the perspective of keeping quality at a better level, bought by a considerably increased effort in joule per pixel.
x264: Increased effort on that encoder (veryslow for me) is well acceptable, and seems to yield even better quality gain
Both: The more early exits, shortcuts, quantizer flipping sorcery you allow for speed, the more damage is done.

Saving bits: Depending on playback device (smaller screens like mobile phones, tablets ?)
you may want to make content compressible first by proper preprocessing, then downresize, then encode.
720p can be made quite small bitwise and still look good.

Last edited by Emulgator; 13th November 2022 at 19:45.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2022, 23:06   #3  |  Link
jdobbs

One advantage that X264 and X265 has over NVENC is that they support two pass encoding, There is a "two pass" option within NVENC -- but it actually isn't true two-pass encoding.

But... NVENC's CQM (Constant Quality Mode) is very comparable to CRF (Constant Rate Factor) are very comparable in terms of quality. In terms of speed -- NVENC is many, many times faster (at least on my systems).

Below are a couple of links in which I did some CRF/CQM tests:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...74#post1929974
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...66#post1930266
Old 19th November 2022, 12:52   #4  |  Link
DanDare1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
One advantage that X264 and X265 has over NVENC is that they support two pass encoding, There is a "two pass" option within NVENC -- but it actually isn't true two-pass encoding.

But... NVENC's CQM (Constant Quality Mode) is very comparable to CRF (Constant Rate Factor) are very comparable in terms of quality. In terms of speed -- NVENC is many, many times faster (at least on my systems).

Below are a couple of links in which I did some CRF/CQM tests:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...74#post1929974
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...66#post1930266
I don't actually have a GPU, I'm using the Intel integrated graphics on my i9 12900k. I was thinking of getting one just for this program. I understand that turing encoder or higher gets you reasonable results. Also does bdrebuilder use nvenc for full disc backup or main movie or does it only work for encoding to the likes of mkv etc?
DanDare1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2022, 01:33   #5  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare1983 View Post
I don't actually have a GPU, I'm using the Intel integrated graphics on my i9 12900k. I was thinking of getting one just for this program. I understand that turing encoder or higher gets you reasonable results. Also does bdrebuilder use nvenc for full disc backup or main movie or does it only work for encoding to the likes of mkv etc?
It can use it for both main movie and full backups as well as MKV etc. You would just select it from the menu.
Old 11th June 2023, 16:01   #6  |  Link
doobre

Just my two cents input.. NVEnc is very fast (300fps depending in the proram) and shows up to use in BD-RB, Vegas pro and Handbrake, as well as its own GUI, but I have found it to be very crude when it comes to tricky material, in particular with Gravity [2013]
cheers CD
doobre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2023, 23:15   #7  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

From ~March 2023 on I have seen good quality improvements with the more recent progress of nVidia driver and Rigaya's NVEncC versions,
so under these changed conditions my post #2 from 12.11.2022 can be seen as outdated.
RTX3080, depending on GUI, quality preset, something like CRF17 starts to look usable.