Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 11th September 2008, 19:19   #61  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzqw View Post
but audio can be mp3 VBR too. While virtualdub wouldn't append those kind avi with different audio bitrate, AviDemux CAN!

BHH
Just don't forget to build the "VBR Time Map" for such AVI files
Old 20th September 2008, 20:06   #62  |  Link
deets

this is a brilliant app! I had to load up vdub the other day, never again
deets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 05:19   #63  |  Link
TEB

Hi. Nice app but i have some questions:

1. How do i check the x264 version used in the package? Can i dl and use a selfbuild x264 build in anyway? or use the standard .exe from x264.nl ?
2. Does Avidemux support mp4 or mkv as target containers?
3. Does avidemux support a dvd directly without pre-decryption using an external plugin ?
4. Can i use avidemux for the following scanrio:

Source DVD episodes mpeg2 PS/ac3-2channel
Target x264 coded SD streams with ac3-2channel sound (copy) and mkv as a container.. (should i deinterlace it first?)

teb
TEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:09   #64  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
If your video contains b-frames, you need to use the so-called "special" mode. In that mode you will loose frame accuracy, yes.
Sorry if I missed it, but is there a way to tell Avidemux that I always want to use the frame-accurate mode? Answering that B-frame dialog w/No every time I open an x264 (and later "rebuild frames" dialog) is somewhat of a pain.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:28   #65  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but is there a way to tell Avidemux that I always want to use the frame-accurate mode? Answering that B-frame dialog w/No every time I open an x264 (and later "rebuild frames" dialog) is somewhat of a pain.
None that I'm aware of. Also you should go with the "safe" mode to avoid random crash...
Old 3rd December 2008, 22:41   #66  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
None that I'm aware of. Also you should go with the "safe" mode to avoid random crash...
Well, maybe I ought to try it, but if "random crashes" are a price I pay for being able to find I-frames accurately in x264 encodings, then I will continue to wade-thru the warnings.

EDIT: OK, well, I tried it the "safe" way and while it seemed to still work i.e. give me precise I-frame positioning it did also terminate unexpectedly while I was advancing to the next I-frame(s). So I guess choosing Safe or not doesn't really matter for my purposes. I still am careful to use only CTRL-T to advance...

Last edited by laserfan; 3rd December 2008 at 23:00.
Old 3rd December 2008, 23:17   #67  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Well, maybe I ought to try it, but if "random crashes" are a price I pay for being able to find I-frames accurately in x264 encodings, then I will continue to wade-thru the warnings.

EDIT: OK, well, I tried it the "safe" way and while it seemed to still work i.e. give me precise I-frame positioning it did also terminate unexpectedly while I was advancing to the next I-frame(s). So I guess choosing Safe or not doesn't really matter for my purposes. I still am careful to use only CTRL-T to advance...
I think Avidemux is not able to handle H.264 streams in a frame-accurate way yet, no matter what "mode" you choose.

That's one of the things that hopefully will be addressed in Avidemux 2.5 one day ...
Old 4th December 2008, 05:39   #68  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
I think Avidemux is not able to handle H.264 streams in a frame-accurate way yet, no matter what "mode" you choose.
Well, I only use it so far to ID I-frames in x264 vids, to choose chapter locations, and it seems to do that just fine.
Old 12th February 2009, 02:33   #69  |  Link
Brazil2

Two questions about AviDemux:

I've noticed that AviDemux automatically sets the H264 Profile and Level. For instance for SD resolutions (backup of a DVD, native resolution and AR being kept) I always get High@3.0. But when I encode to a higher resolution I get Level 4.2 or even Level 5.2.

So my question is: is there a way to force the use of Level 4.1 ?
I haven't found anything about that in the Wiki. And I believe I'm using Level 4.1 compatible encoding options that I've found in this thread but I always got L4.2 and not L4.1.

I'm also trying to incorporate SRT subtitles to the final image by using the built-in Subtitler filter. But it doesn't work. I've tried many different settings (color, position, etc) without success.

What am I doing wrong ?
Brazil2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 02:40   #70  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazil2 View Post
Two questions about AviDemux:

I've noticed that AviDemux automatically sets the H264 Profile and Level. For instance for SD resolutions (backup of a DVD, native resolution and AR being kept) I always get High@3.0. But when I encode to a higher resolution I get Level 4.2 or even Level 5.2.

So my question is: is there a way to force the use of Level 4.1 ?
I haven't found anything about that in the Wiki. And I believe I'm using Level 4.1 compatible encoding options that I've found in this thread but I always got L4.2 and not L4.1.
Not Avidemux, but the x264 encoder it uses, will detect the H.264 Level and Profile.

You can't set the Level/Profile directly. The Profile depends on the settings you choose. The Level also depends on resolution, framerate and bitrate.

Have a look here:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Profiles
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazil2 View Post
I'm also trying to incorporate SRT subtitles to the final image by using the built-in Subtitler filter. But it doesn't work. I've tried many different settings (color, position, etc) without success.

What am I doing wrong ?
Are you sure that you are looking at the filtered "Output" video and not at the unfiltered "Input" video?

Initially Avidemux shows the "Input" video in its main window...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 12th February 2009 at 02:43.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 03:03   #71  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
The Profile depends on the settings you choose. The Level also depends on resolution, framerate and bitrate.

Have a look here:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Profiles
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Levels
Thanks for the answer
Yes I've read all of that and I'm within the specs. Hence my question

Attached file is the custom AviDemux profile I'm using as a basis. Most of the time I'm using bitrates from 2500 up to 15000 Kb/s, resolutions of 1920*1080 or 1280*720 and 25 FPS. Sometimes I add the p4x4 option depending on the result I want to get.

Quote:
Are you sure that you are looking at the filtered "Output" video and not at the unfiltered "Input" video?

Initially Avidemux shows the "Input" video in its main window...
I'm looking at the final result, the video itself.
And there is no subtitle integrated to the image.
The target is XviD+MP3 in an AVI container. I haven't tried any other target format yet.
Attached Files
File Type: rar x264-MP4.rar (423 Bytes, 136 views)
Brazil2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 21:19   #72  |  Link
klondike

Lord Mulder please help me because no one on the forums has been able to provide an answer to a problem i have.The situation is that i am trying to rip vobsubs off a multi-language DVD.I use the VOB tool in avidemux but the idx file has inaccurate timestamps.When i use another Windows program called VobSub or the following commands in Linux i get correctly indexed .idx files:

tccat -i <path to ripped vobs> -T <tile number> -L | tcextract -x ps1 -t vob -a 0x21 > subs-en
subtitle2vobsub -o vobsubs-en -i <Path to IFO file> < subs-en

Avidemux's created .idx file starts like this:

timestamp: 00:15:50:409, filepos: 000000000
timestamp: 00:15:59:618, filepos: 000001800
timestamp: 00:16:16:468, filepos: 000002800
timestamp: 00:16:19:505, filepos: 000003800

and ends like this:

timestamp: 01:50:23:411, filepos: 00138f3b
timestamp: 01:50:27:249, filepos: 00139c72
timestamp: 01:50:51:006, filepos: 0013a773
timestamp: 01:51:08:356, filepos: 0013b374

Whereas the correctly indexed idx files created with the alternative programs mentioned above all have the following timestamps starting like this:

timestamp: 00:15:50:409, filepos: 000000000
timestamp: 00:15:59:618, filepos: 000001800
timestamp: 00:16:16:468, filepos: 000002800
timestamp: 00:16:19:505, filepos: 000003800

and ends like this:

timestamp: 01:50:46:334, filepos: 0001b4000
timestamp: 01:50:50:171, filepos: 0001b5000
timestamp: 01:51:13:929, filepos: 0001b6000
timestamp: 01:51:31:279, filepos: 0001b7000

It appears that the vobsub tool is indexing the vob files incorrectly and i don't know how to fix it.I have tried all the avidemux versions from 2.4 to 2.44 and there is no difference.This happens with both the Windows and Linux versions of Avidemux.
klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 04:13   #73  |  Link
halsboss
likes to tinker

bit confused

Hi there, it looks like a terrific program ! Will have to give it a whirl.

I'm a little confused on positioning; I noticed you recommend "avi-mux GUI" http://alexander-noe.com/video/amg/ to someone ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...81#post1172081 ) to demux an avi into elementary streams, but had thought avidemux could do that ...

Can you please clarify, as the program names and functionality confuse me ?

Also, in demuxing xvid/mp3 .avi does it (either one) "take care of" .avis which may or may not be packed bitstream, when creating elementary streams ?

Last edited by halsboss; 18th April 2009 at 04:23.
halsboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 04:22   #74  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

LoRd_MulderR: I know that Avidemux has color correction options through ColorYUV. If I were to open to a VOB directly in Avidemux, would the proper color correction be applied anyway? For instance, I know that Avisynth's ColorMatrix() corrects MPEG-2 color coefficients and can use hints from DGIndex to auto-correct color; does Avidemux, as a more integrated package that can encode directly to ASP/AVC, do this behind the scenes?
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 13:30   #75  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

@halsboss:
AVI-Mux GUI and Avidemux are not related at all! AVI-Mux GUI is a pretty simple tool for (de)muxing AVI and MKV files. Avidemux is a fully-fledged video editor and encoding application. You can think of it as the cross-platform equivalent of VirtualDub. However despite its name and in contrast to VirtualDub, Avidemux isn't restricted to the AVI container at all! Also Avidemux is able to unpack an AVI file with "packed bitstream" (as created by DivX). It's called "AVI, unpack VOP" and it's available from the "Format" dropdown menu. Avidemux will even suggest to unpack such files automatically...

@Inspector.Gadget:
Avidemux provides at least two filters for color correction: MPlayer EQ2 and Avisynth ColorYUV. These filters need to be enabled and configured manually, in case a color correction is necessary. However in most cases you won't need to do that. Usually you can simply keep the original color levels of the source MPEG-2 file(s). Better get your levels right at playback time!

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 18th April 2009 at 14:05.
Old 20th April 2009, 10:33   #76  |  Link
halsboss
likes to tinker

Thanks. Did you notice the avidemux query over at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...70#post1275570 (should I re-post here ? I don't know how to move it).
Old 20th April 2009, 13:27   #77  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsboss View Post
Thanks. Did you notice the avidemux query over at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...70#post1275570 (should I re-post here ? I don't know how to move it).
Maybe the Avidemux Forum is the right place ask this highly specific question...
Old 20th April 2009, 13:40   #78  |  Link
halsboss
likes to tinker

OK. I didn't think of that, usually doom9 has help on all sorts of things. Thanks,
Old 3rd May 2009, 02:54   #79  |  Link
Nexin

Run Avidemux and load a video, and the gui reduces and moves elsewhere on the screen. Can the gui not be made to retain its position when loading a video ?

Can the gui be made to remember its last postion at exit for next use ?

Or is this something to do with, i like my taskbar at the top of the screen. I doubt it but many apps like to sneak under it sometimes. But that just bad design by other software developers.

I do like AviDemux sometimes though it just disapears with some files. I was trying to convert a .ogm packed file last night. It loaded i selected avi output copy video and audio, then tried xvid and mpg2 audio and then some other options, both times the gui just dissapeared. I could have look at the log but i will try and demux it first and process each stream individualy, maybe its because it has chapters, that i don't need to keep.

For all the other softwares i have used in the past. Why did they not implement mp2 audio. This is one strong feature i i like avidemux for. Because mp2 audio sound so much better than any mp3 varieties, with not much more size added not that, that matters.

Keep up the coding you do, there are users out there that while do not write to you are happy to use the software. Ok then of i go for session with the new build v2.5.0
Nexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:36   #80  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexin View Post
Run Avidemux and load a video, and the gui reduces and moves elsewhere on the screen. Can the gui not be made to retain its position when loading a video ?

Can the gui be made to remember its last postion at exit for next use ?

Or is this something to do with, i like my taskbar at the top of the screen. I doubt it but many apps like to sneak under it sometimes. But that just bad design by other software developers.
Avidemux will adjust the window size according to the video you open. But I never see the window "jump" around...

Quote:
I do like AviDemux sometimes though it just disapears with some files. I was trying to convert a .ogm packed file last night. It loaded i selected avi output copy video and audio, then tried xvid and mpg2 audio and then some other options, both times the gui just dissapeared. I could have look at the log but i will try and demux it first and process each stream individualy, maybe its because it has chapters, that i don't need to keep.
If you encounter a crash, looking at the log is your only way to get more information (except for using a debugger).

Quote:
For all the other softwares i have used in the past. Why did they not implement mp2 audio. This is one strong feature i i like avidemux for. Because mp2 audio sound so much better than any mp3 varieties, with not much more size added not that, that matters.
Huh? What applications are you talking about?

Most applications simply use the ACM codecs installed on your computer. So whether MP2 is available (or not) solely depends on the installed ACM codecs.

Avidemux is an exception here! It doesn't use VFW/ACM Codecs...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 3rd May 2009 at 16:23.

Tags
avidemux, faq