Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 9th January 2022, 06:31   #21  |  Link
Lowpro

The Office (2001-2003)

I authored (MediaInfo/SubtitleEdit/BDSup2Sub/multiAVCHD/BDRB/BDedit/ImgBurn) the TV series, The Office (2001-2003) to Blu-ray the other day. Below is what the TV series looks like for me from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below are links to my online profiles for the TV series which mirror my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of each profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

As seen from My Movies for Windows Media Center...

(Click on the image above to view my online profile for this title.)

And here are screenshots of the Blu-ray menus. I worked up a couple sets of Blu-ray menus in this case. The first set follows my standard template. For the second set I decided to have some fun and think outside the box with the help of my friend, BDedit. Quite pleased with the end result I must say. :-P

As seen from my Blu-ray player...

(Click on the preview image above to view the full size image.)

Both sets of QP menus are available to download here for those interested. As with my prior QP menu downloads, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menus contain 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the QP menus with your own Blu-ray's of the TV series just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99010) with the ones from my QP menus and you'll be all set. To retain my "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior just carry over my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files as well. If you prefer the default navigation behavior I've got that base covered as well. Just use the versions of the "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files found in the "BDMV\BACKUP" folder. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:31.
Lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2022, 06:50   #22  |  Link
Lowpro

I just updated my Blu-ray menus for "The Office (2001-2003)" that I posted about yesterday. The updated Blu-ray menus can be downloaded using the same URL. (See my prior post.)

The updates I made were to the Blu-ray menu that contains multiple pages. The screenshots in my prior post show the "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons as left and right arrows. Those left and right arrows were actually just part of the given menu background image. I tried replacing the images used for the "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons using BDedit, but was unsuccessful. The best I could do was replace the images with blank images making the "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons fully transparent. The "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons still worked for page navigation mind you, you just couldn't see the buttons, the left and right arrows that were part of the given menu background image serving as visual ques only. I prevented menu item navigation from wrapping around as well so. A bit funky, but easy enough to navigate. That being said, I revisited this today and was finally successful after much trial and error. The updated Blu-ray menu appears identical to the screenshots in my prior post. The left and right arrows shown in the screenshots are actually the "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons now. He shoots, he scores!

And here's the process I followed to replace the "PREV" and "NEXT" button images...

STEP 1: Once launching BDedit I browsed to my BDMV folder from the "BDMV" tab, then going to the "CLIPINF" tab selecting the CLPI file from the drop down that corresponded with the M2TS file I wanted to update (9902=Page 1, 99004=Page 2, 99006=Page 3, 99008=Page 4, 99010=Page 5), then pressing the "MENU" button being taken to the "Menu" tab.

STEP 2: From the "Menu" tab I accessed the "Objects" tab highlighting each object and saving (Save object image) the image for each locally. (This had to be done for every object within the M2TS file as every image within the M2TS file needed to be replaced when the time came, not just the images in question I was looking to update. Also, I didn't save the color pallete in this case as I don't have the Scenarist plugin for Photoshop.)

STEP 3: In Photoshop CS3 I then created my own "PREV" and "NEXT" images, i.e. "Normal (N)", "Selected (S)" and "Activated (A)" versions for each. Instead of graphical text I went with left and right arrows which I created using the Shape tool, the same color scheme and drop shadow being applied as was used for the images that called out the title names. Each image was saved from Photoshop at full quality using the regular PNG option. (I would have exported each image instead, but I don't have the Scenarist plugin for Photoshop.)

STEP 4: With updated versions of the "PREV" and "NEXT" images ready to go it was time to process the entire set of images I had previously extracted from the M2TS file, including the replacement images I had just created. (I placed copies of my replacement images in the same folder where I had saved the original images, the full set of images extracted from the M2TS file. I didn't overwrite the original images I intended on replacing though. I could have deleted them at that point, but didn't bother. The replacement images didn't need to be named the same as the original images. None of the images needed to be named the same. They don't need to be the same width and height as the orginal images either. BDedit doesn't care. It takes what you give it and does provide a point of reference, the right pane showing you what the current image looks like as you're going to replace it so.)

To process the images I used the below utility which initially I wasn't able to get to work. Under Windows 7 64-bit I was getting no response at the command line. No response at all. I decided today to try running the utility from Windows 10. When doing so I received a Windows error message stating that it couldn't find a couple debug DLL's, "vcruntime140d.dll" and "ucrtbased.dll". The release versions of the DLL's were present for me under both Windows 7 and Windows 10, i.e. "vcruntime140.dll" and "ucrtbase.dll". The debug versions were no where to be found. I performed some Internet searches at that point and eventually hit paydirt finding a Github forum post where someone was experiencing the same issue. The forum post can be found here. In response to the OP a kind forum member provided a download link to the debug DLL's. Thankfully the download link still worked. Once downloading the DLL's I dropped them in my "SysWOW64" folder under Windows 7 and the rest is history!

(I've found that PNG Quantizer yields far superior results with images that were saved from Photoshop using the regular PNG option. Do not dumb the image down when going to save it. Save the image at full quality. Stay away from the "Save for Web" option as well, especially when working with color images. Trust me. I learned the hard way as I've been messing around with color images and getting some ugly results here and there once incorporating a set of images into a Blu-ray. All the issues I was seeing when testing via PowerDVD went away the moment I started saving the images from Photoshop using the regular PNG option instead.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamantcheese View Post
PNG Quantizer for use with BDEdit

I've developed a utility for assisting in editing IG menus for those without Scenarist Designer. For reference, here is the menu editing thread. You can find the tool releases here and the source code if you wish to modify and build it for Linux.

THIS IS A COMMAND LINE TOOL, use "-help" for this information.

This tool takes a directory of files, generates a palette for all of them, then remaps those images and writes them out to a new directory. This tool is meant to be used for editing Interactive Graphics (IG) streams used in Blu-ray menus in association with BDedit.

Usage:
1) Save out everything from BDEdit for the menu you're editing. If your menu contains multiple palettes, save out each set of images to it's own folder to keep the palettes separate.
2) Edit your images as desired.
3) Run the tool with the directory of modified images as the only argument. "Done!" will appear when it's finished. If you don't input any arguments a text help prompt will appear.
4) Replace the images using BDEdit. Be sure to check both the "Replace object" and "Replace palette" boxes for every image, otherwise you'll get extra objects and palettes.
5) Mux out your new menu M2TS file and replace the one in your BDMV/STREAM folder.
6) Close and open up BDEdit again and go to CLIPINF and read the appropriate .clpi file for the menu. A prompt will say it has the wrong number of packets in it, say yes and save the clpi file.
7) That's it! Bit tedious for menus with lots of objects, but it does work.

Proof of function can be seen on the github main page.
(I uploaded PNG_Quantizer and the DLL's to my web space for good measure. The zip file is 8.94 MB and can be downloaded here.)

STEP 5: As outlined above, once generating a new set of images using PNG Quantizer I then returned to the "Menu\Objects" tab within BDedit replacing each image (Load object image) within the M2TS file ensuring the "Replace the selected object" and "Replace the selected color palette" options were checked each time. Once replacing all the images I updated the M2TS file via the "Mux" option browsing to and overwriting the original M2TS file. (It's important to overwrite the original M2TS file, the copy residing in your "BDMV\Stream" folder. Prior to overwriting the file I recommend placing a copy elsewhere in the event you need to restore the original for whatever reason.)

STEP 6: This is the final and most crucial step, Step 7 outined in the "Usage" instructions above. The packet value of a given M2TS file is stored within its CLPI file. As such, when replacing the images within a M2TS file I needed to then make sure its CLPI file didn't also need updated, i.e. to reflect the correct packet value of the updated M2TS file. Of the 5 M2TS files (...one for each menu page) I updated, only 2 of them needed their CLPI files updated. Not updating the CLPI file when necessary results in that page of the Blu-ray menu breaking, only the menu background image being displayed when testing via PowerDVD.

The good thing here is that BDedit will prompt you if the given CLPI file needs updated. Once updating a M2TS file via the "Mux" option I'd immediately return to the "BDMV" tab selecting the "Read" option. This reloads the BDMV folder. BDedit is then able to account for the M2TS file I had just updated. (Alternatively you could restart BDedit as outlined in Step 7 of the "Usage" instructions above.) I'd then return to the CLIPINF tab selecting the CLPI file from the drop down per the M2TS file I had just updated. When doing so a message is displayed if the M2TS packet value stored within the CLPI file doesn't match the updated M2TS file, the option being given for BDedit to correct the packet value stored, i.e. "The m2ts file contains 224 packets. Do you want to correct the packet value of ClipInfo?" When presented with the prompt I selected "Yes" of course, BDedit updating the CLPI file, the given Blu-ray menu page then working without issue as a result when testing via PowerDVD.

Last edited by Lowpro; 22nd February 2022 at 05:30.
Old 12th January 2022, 09:36   #23  |  Link
Lowpro

The fun never ends! I updated my Blu-ray menu for "The Office: The Complete Series (2001-2003)" yet again. The updated Blu-ray menu can be downloaded using the same URL a couple posts back. My previous post from yesterday has been updated as well as I'm now able to "properly" replace the images used for the "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons within my Quick-Play menus thanks to a utility I discovered the other day that I was finally able to get working. In any event, just thought I'd share. Enjoy the read and feel free to download the Blu-ray menu and check it out if you like.
Old 13th January 2022, 00:35   #24  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Wow, congratulations !
Old 14th January 2022, 13:39   #25  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
Wow, congratulations !
Thanks! I'm loving the ability to replace images within IG menus now. It really opens up some possibilities. Having way too much fun.
Old 14th January 2022, 18:40   #26  |  Link
Lowpro

BD Rebuilder, Photoshop, PNG Quantizer and BDedit for the win!

Surprise, surprise. I'm still messing around with the Blu-ray menu I worked up the other day for "The Office: The Complete Series (2001-2003)". After successfully replacing the images used for the "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons I decided to try my hand at replacing all the other images. Had a blast. End result shown below.

(And here's the other pages: Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5)

The menu background I'm using above no longer includes the title treatment, episode thumbnails and pagination as was the case prior. Instead those things are objects now, i.e menu buttons using my own images. Below are the images I created for the "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons for those interested. Feel free to download them if you like.

For each title I created "Normal (N)", "Selected (S)" and "Activated (A)" images that incorporated both the title text and episode thumbnail, the episode thumbnail being in greyscale when "Normal (N)", then changing to color when "Selected (S)" or "Activated (A)", the frame around the thumbnail mirroring the color used for the text. Example shown below.

(I uploaded PNG_Quantizer and the DLL's to my web space for good measure. The zip file is 8.94 MB and can be downloaded here.)

Some useful BDedit keyboard functions...
Ins: Add a new BOG. (You can add additional buttons within a BOG and add new pages as well.)
Shift-Del: Deletes the selected BOG. (Deletes the selected page as well.)
Ins: Insert NOP command. (NOP means "do nothing", always a good place to start.)
Shift-Del: Delete the selected line(s). (Be careful, there's no undo command.)
Ctrl-C: Copy the selected line(s). (Use the "Command line" field when copying and pasting individual commands.)
Ctrl-X: Cut the selected line(s).
Ctrl-V: Paste the previously copied/cutted lines after the selected line.
Shift-N: Change the selected line to NOP.

Of course I uploaded the latest and greatest here to my web space for those interested. I even made my assets available for download per the below.

QP menus and assets...

I figured some might enjoy having a look behind-the-scenes. You know, at look at how my twisted mind works. (I use Photoshop CS3. My PSD files are included as well.) And those of you feeling adventurous could even open the original Blu-ray menu created by BD Rebuilder in BDedit, then attempting to update the resulting Quick-Play menu as I've done. All the assets are there that you'd need so. Download links provided below.

• "The Office: The Complete Series" QP Menus (3.59 MB)
• "The Office: The Complete Series" QP Menu Assets (100 MB)

And yes, the above downloads are a bit larger than some of the downloads I've offered in the past. Just a tad bit larger I'd say. The juice is worth the squeeze though, so it's all good. Promise. In any event, just thought I'd share. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 22nd February 2022 at 05:31.
Old 15th January 2022, 11:30   #27  |  Link
Lowpro

A quick update per my post. An updated version of the download is now available. I spent some time this morning cleaning up my Photoshop (PSD) files that are included in the download also including the 2 fonts the PSD files require. I additionally included the font the BDREBUILDER.INI file is configured to use that's part of the download. It's the same font I have BD Rebuilder use for all my Quick Play menus. In any event, that is all. Hope everyone has a great weekend. And if anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask. To each his own, but I really enjoy the process of making a Quick Play menu my own after the fact using BDedit. I've got my process as refined as possible at this point I think so. Okay, I'll stop talking to myself now. Until next time.

Last edited by Lowpro; 15th January 2022 at 11:32.
Old 15th January 2022, 15:03   #28  |  Link
musiclover

Thank you for all your inventions in the QP menu. But I see no explanation for the use of the horizontal menu. How do you get BDRB to make the menu horizontal? I see no hidden options to do that.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 17:08   #29  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
Thank you for all your inventions in the QP menu. But I see no explanation for the use of the horizontal menu. How do you get BDRB to make the menu horizontal? I see no hidden options to do that.
I do use a couple hidden options. I set the menu backdrop to be fully transparent (MENU_BACKDROP_OPACITY=0) and turn the pagination (MENU_PAGE_ENABLE=0) off. All other customization is done after the fact using BDedit. Here's what the Blu-ray menu looked like prior to updating it with BDedit.

Quick Play menu created using BD Rebuilder...

Before creating the Quick Play menu I worked up a Blu-ray menu template of sorts in Photoshop creating the menu backgrounds and images for all the buttons in addition to determining the button locations. Click on the image below to view just the layers window. It will give you a good sense of how I put everything together. Note also the numbers I included within the folder and layer names. Those are the "X" and "Y" values to be used when updating the Blu-ray menu from BDedit.

(Click the image above to view the layers window at full size.)

With the Quick Play menu created and all my assets ready to go it was then time to update each Blu-ray menu page using BDedit. From the "Objects" tab for each menu page I replaced the images used for each object adding some new objects/images to each page in the process, i.e. the title treatment, pagination and so forth. From the "BOGs" tab I updated the values (and navigation commands in some cases) used by each button overlap group repositioning the buttons and changing their behavior adding additional items as needed per the new objects/images I had added. To speed the process along I worked up the below excel sheet ahead of time. Makes for quick work when everything is mapped out already. When launching BDedit I'm able to hit the ground running. I transfer the values over inserting items and updating navigation commands as needed along the way and before I know it I'm ready to write to my BDMV folder testing the end result in PowerDVD.

(The "n.start/n.end", "s.start/s.end" and "a.start/a.end" columns define what object, i.e. what image is displayed for each button state. The values shown are the Object IDs. I mapped the values out ahead of time in this case as I knew what order they'd be in. Click here to view the above Object IDs from the "Objects" tab in Bdedit.)

So there's a little taste to wet your whistle. In one of my more recent posts I provide a link to a video tutorial I worked up a couple years ago. You may remember it. It demonstrates how to update the button and page navigation behavior for a Quick Play menu using BDedit. The process outlined is same if you want to reposition the buttons. The "X" and "Y" values are right there next to the other values I'm changing in the video. The process is the same so.

And feel free to hit up the download I made available a couple posts back if you like. The assets available for download should prove insightful. As an exercise you could take the original Blu-ray menu created by BD Rebuilder opening it in BDedit, then making the same updates as I've done. Time permitting perhaps I'll work up another video tutorial, one that covers working with both the "Objects" tab and "BOGs" tab. I just need to find some good tools to use per making the video. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Lowpro; 22nd February 2022 at 05:33.
Old 20th January 2022, 15:16   #30  |  Link
Lowpro

"Double Feature" Blu-ray menus.

I authored (MediaInfo/SubtitleEdit/BDSup2Sub/multiAVCHD/BDRB/PNG Quantizer/BDedit/ImgBurn) the movie, The Abyss (1989) to Blu-ray today. When authoring to Blu-ray I included the "Special Edition" of the film as well. That being said, I decided once again to update BD Rebuilder's Quick-Play menu after the fact using BDedit, this time creating a "Double Feature" type Blu-ray menu, one that I could easily reuse with any given pair of titles. It turned out pretty sweet if I do say so myself. Continue reading to learn more.

Quick-Play menu created by BD Rebuilder...

The above image is what the Blu-ray menu looked like when created by BD Rebuilder. This was by design of course. The menu backdrop (MENU_BACKDROP_OPACITY=0) was taken out of the mix in this case giving me a blank slate to work with. My only requirements for the Quick-Play menu were that it consist of 2 titles and utilize the menu background I wanted. The first step in my process was to create a Blu-ray menu template of sorts in Photoshop that consisted of all the elements needed for the Blu-ray menu, i.e. the menu background and button images. See below for a picture of what that looks like.

My goal here was to create a "Double Feature" type Blu-ray menu that could easily be used when authoring any given 2 titles to the same Blu-ray disc. You can probably see where I'm going with this per the above screenshot. I've been wanting to do this for a while now. I just haven't been able to wrap my head around the implemenetation until recently having finally learned my way around BDedit some. I actually suggested the idea of a "Double Feature" Blu-ray menu some time back in the "feature requests" thread here.

So once creating all the Blu-ray menu elements in Photoshop I saved out the individual images for use with the actual Blu-ray menu, the menu background and images I'd be using for the menu buttons. Along the way I took measurements in Photoshop determining the menu button positioning, i.e. the "X" and "Y" values to use in BDedit after the fact once having BD Rebuilder create the Quick-Play menu for me. Note the numbers shown within my layer namings when viewing the above Photoshop (PSD) file at full size. The numbers call out the position and image size for each of the Blu-ray menu elements. Once determining the button positions I transferred the values over to the below excel sheet which I referenced when updating the Button Overlap Groups (BOGs) in BDedit. Also included in my excel sheet are the values to be used for menu navigation, i.e. where does my selection go when navigating up, down, left and right.

With my menu background, button images and Button Overlap Group (BOG) values set on go, I then had BD Rebuilder create the Quick-Play menu for me after which I opened the resulting BDMV folder in BDedit. Using BDedit I accessed the CLIPINF tab selecting the CLPI file (99002) that corresponded with the one and only menu page, then pressing the "Menu" button being taken to the Menu tab. Once at the Menu tab I updated the values under the BOGs tab adding additional BOG groups as needed along the way per my excel sheet.

The Quick-Play menu included 3 objects for each of the buttons used for title selection, i.e. the "Normal (N)", "Selected (S)" and "Activated (A)" images displayed for each button. In this case I'll be using a single image for both Title buttons, both for the "Selected (S)" and "Activated (A)" states in addition to a second image for a hidden button that I'll touch on in a bit. Having already updated the BOG values I then deleted the objects I didn't need retaining only the first 2 objects which I'd be replacing. (BDedit will only let you delete an object after first removing any BOG references made to the object.) With the extra objects removed it was time to replace the images used for the remaining objects with my own images. Prior to doing so I needed to regenerate my images using PNG Quantizer making them BDedit friendly.

("PNG Quantizer is a Command Line tool. It takes a directory of files, generates a palette for all of them, then remaps those images and writes them out to a new directory. The tool is meant to be used for editing Interactive Graphics streams used in Blu-ray menus in association with BDedit." I uploaded PNG Quantizer and the required DLL's to my web space for good measure. The zip file is 8.94 MB and can be downloaded here if needed.)

From the Command Prompt I called to the directory (C:\PNG_Quantizer) where I had placed "PNG_Quantizer.exe" having already placed a copy of my images in the same folder. I then typed, "PNG_Quantizer C:\PNG_Quantizer" pressing enter. PNG Quantizer then processed my images saving an updated copy to a subfolder called, "new". It took just a second or two in this case. I then took the resulting images replacing the original images from the "Objects" tab within BDedit. With all the changes in place I updated my M2TS file (99002) using the "Mux" option, then reloading the "BDMV" folder having BDedit update the CLPI file (99002) for me by accessing the file from the CLIPINF tab. (I describe this is greater detail here.) And just like that, my "Double Feature" Blu-ray menu wish came true. End result shown below.

Quick-Play menu updated using BDedit...

(Click on the preview image to view the full size image.)

So here it is. And no, your eyes aren't deceiving you. (Well, maybe they are.) The Blu-ray menu above looks identical to the one created by BD Rebuilder, the only difference being that the QP menu items are no longer present. Well, that's not exactly true. Let me explain. On first load neither version of the film is selected as shown above, the Title buttons not having an image for the "Normal (N)" state. As a result, all you see if the menu background. (The man behind the curtain in this case is a hidden button. It's the hidden button that's selected on first load, the hidden button being fully transparent and used for navigation to the other buttons only.) Navigating right when neither button is selected highlights the "Standard Edition". Navigating left when neither button is selected highlights the "Special Edition", the "Selected (S)" state for each being a hot pink highlight that's 60% transparent. See below.

(The hidden button I just mentioned is the fourth Button Overlap Group as seen from BDedit, i.e. BOG3. The original Quick-Play menu had BOG 1 selected initially when going to the menu. I wanted BOG 3 selected initially instead. As such, the BDMV files had to be updated from the BDMV tab in BDedit to account for that. My excel sheet details the changes made. See here.)

Selected (S) button states...

Once a button is selected navigating left or right accordingly selects the other button. (Left/Right navigation does not wrap around.) When making your selection the same image is displayed for the "Activated (A)" state, playback then beginning. Returning to the menu once playback begins results in the same button being selected. And the icing on the cake, navigating up or down at any time results in neither button being selected as is the case on first load. This provides an unobstructed view of the menu background if so desired.

The great thing about this Blu-ray menu is that the menu background is the only thing that's title specific. As such, any time I have 2 titles I'd like to author to the same Blu-ray disc I can just reuse this Blu-ray menu. I create a new menu background specific to the titles in question for use when importing the titles to BD Rebuilder. Once the Quick-Play menu has been created I just overwrite the "index.bdmv", "MovieObject.bdmv", "99002.clpi" and "99002.m2ts" files with the ones from the Blu-ray menu I created here for "The Abyss". It doesn't get much easier than that. In fact, I just put my Blu-ray menu template to the test working up a "Double Feature" Blu-ray menu for "Grumpy Old Men" and "Grumpier Old Men". Took me all of 10 minutes from start to finish and most of that time was spent looking for cover art to use with the menu background. End result shown below.

Normal (N) button states...

(Click on the preview image ato view the full size image.)

Selected (S) button states...

For those interested I did upload the above Blu-ray menus to my web space. I included a download for all my assets as well per the below.

Blu-ray menu assets...

In any event, just thought I'd share. Here are the download links.

"The Abyss" QP Menu (984 KB)
"Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men" QP Menu (1.38 MB)
Double Feature QP Menu Assets (16.4 MB)

And one final note. When zipping up all my assets I didn't include the PNG Quantizer application and debug DLL's. They can be downloaded separately if needed. I provide a download link within my post here, a paragraph or two below the screenshot of the excel sheet. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:30.
Old 21st January 2022, 08:34   #31  |  Link
Lowpro

Another day, another Quick Play menu given the BDedit treatment. :p

Today I revisited "The Abyss" creating a Blu-ray menu that mirrors, My Movies for Windows Media Center. I browse my Blu-ray collection up on the big screen using My Movies for Windows Media Center. I figured why not continue the theme once loading a given disc and reaching the Blu-ray menu. Sounds logical to me. See below for the full skinny.

Quick Play menu unmodified...

The above image shows the Quick Play menu unmodified. The menu background is a combination of screenshots I took from My Movies for Windows Media Center. I took 3 screenshots total, each showing a different button selected, i.e. "Standard Edition", "Special Edition" and "Cancel". From those 3 screenshots I was able to create the menu background and "Normal (N)" and "Selected (S)" images for each of the buttons. And yes, I created a button for "Cancel" as well. Just couldn't help myself. The image below is what the Blu-ray menu elements look like in Photoshop prior to saving out the individual images.

Note the numbers shown within the "SEL" layer namings when viewing the above Photoshop (PSD) file at full size. The numbers call out the position (X and Y values) and image size (801x74) for each button. Once determining the button positions I transferred the values over to the below excel sheet which I referenced when updating the Button Overlap Groups (BOGs) in BDedit. (A button overlap group for the "Cancel" button needed to be added, the Navigation Command set to do nothing, i.e. NOP.)

(The values in the "n.start/n.end", "s.start/s.end" and "a.start/a.end" columns define what object, i.e. image is displayed for each button state. In this case I'm using the same image respectively for the "selected" and "activated" button states.)

And here is what the final result looks like. Are we having fun yet? :-P

"Standard Edition" selected...

"Special Edition" selected...

"Cancel" selected...

I must say, the ability to customize IG menus is way cool and I've barely scratched the surface I'm sure. Going to spend some time this week seeing what new tricks I can come up with. In any event, the above Blu-ray menu can be downloaded here for those interested in checking it out. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 22nd February 2022 at 05:45.
Old 22nd January 2022, 13:56   #32  |  Link
Lowpro

You'll see where I'm going with this in a moment. If you'll indulge me. :-P So YouTube shut my channel down in early 2021 without warning stated it was a danger to the public which was total garbage. I lost all my content as a result as I didn't have any of it backed up locally. Well, that's what I thought at the time anyway. It's one small victory nearly a year later, but I'll take it. I spent much of the morning organizing a local copy of the files uploaded to my web space and stumbled onto a video I created back in September of 2019 that I thought was lost forever. It's a tutorial demonstrating how to modify the menu button and page navigation behavior of a Blu-ray menu created with BD Rebuilder using BDedit. I've long washed my hands of anything Google so. Just uploaded the video to my Rumble account. It can be viewed here for those intersted. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 23rd January 2022 at 01:22.
Old 25th January 2022, 16:59   #33  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Regarding your latest abyss menu.. Why not having the cover change regarding which of the two versions you select? Anyway, thanks for all the updates
Old 25th January 2022, 18:10   #34  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
Regarding your latest abyss menu.. Why not having the cover change regarding which of the two versions you select? Anyway, thanks for all the updates
Hi LowDead. This was an exercise more than anything else. I was curious how clean it would turn out. As for the cover art, the resulting Blu-ray menu replicates how "The Abyss" is presented for me currently within My Movies for Windows Media Center. When cataloging "The Abyss" within My Movies I created only one title for the film, hence the same cover art is used. Selecting the "Play" option then provides for choosing which version of the film I'd like to watch. (Originally I had authored each version of the film to separate discs.) That being said, I could have the "details" area there change based on which item is selected, i.e. the title name, running time and cover art. Might be something fun to play around with.

Last edited by Lowpro; 25th January 2022 at 18:15.
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:07   #35  |  Link
Lowpro

As an exercise I've continued tinkering around with the Blu-ray menu I created for "The Office: The Complete Series", a BD Rebuilder "Quick Play" menu I modified after the fact using BDedit. Slowly but surely I'm getting a better handle on things. Well, I'm still crawling. I haven't learned to walk yet, but I'm getting there. That being said, I thought I'd share the latest version of the Blu-ray menu with everyone. The updated Blu-ray menu is now part of the original download I made available here for those interested. Included is a download link to all my assets as well.

With this latest version I've stepped up my game a little bit. The Blu-ray menu is still spread out across 5 M2TS files as it was originally. To the end user it will appear as if the Blu-ray menu consists of only 3 M2TS files though. Series 1 and Series 2 consist of 6 episodes each. The Office Special is 2 episodes making for 14 episodes total. Series 1 (99002.M2TS) and Series 2 (99006.M2TS) each have their own M2TS file, Episodes 1-4 residing on Page 1 (ID 0) and Episodes 5-6 residing on Page 2 (ID 1) respectively. The Office Special consists of a single menu page (99010.M2TS).

Originally I was going to go with just 3 M2TS files, but I have yet to figure out how land on a menu page other than Page 1 (ID 0) when coming from outside the given M2TS file. When selecting an episode from Page 2 (ID 1) for instance I'd like to return to that page directly if accessing the Blu-ray menu during playback or after the episode finishes playing. I'd also like to be able to navigate backwards across the M2TS files that make up the Blu-ray menu, i.e. navigating from "Series 2, Episode 1" to "Series 1, Episode 6". Looks like "PSR11: Menu Page id (b7-b0) {0-$fe}" is my ticket, but I've yet to successfully write to PSR11 updating the Page ID value stored.

That being said, I did come up with a workaround. Well, I'm on my second workaround. Initially I had 2 hidden buttons on Page 1 (ID 0). Both were set to set to automatically activate (auto_action_flag), one taking me to Episode 5 on Page 2 (ID 1) and the other to Episode 6 on Page 2 (ID 1) and yes, Page 1 (ID 0) would display for a brief moment, then jumping to Page 2 (ID 1). It was a clumsy workaround, but it got the job done. My current workaround is much better though long term I really need to be able to change the current Page ID that's used.

So my current workaround involves a little slight of hand. Files 99002.M2TS (Series 1) and 99006.M2TS (Series 2) are the ones that contain 2 pages each, Page 1 (ID 0) containing Episodes 1-4 and Page 2 (ID 1) containing Episodes 5-6. Since I can only land on Page 1 (ID 0) right now I decided to use that to my advantage. I added 2 additional M2TS files to the mix, files 99004 (Series 1) and 99008 (Series 2), duplicates of 99002 (Series 1) and 99006 (Series 2), but with the pages flipped, Episodes 5-6 being on Page 1 (ID 0) and Episodes 1-4 being on Page 2 (ID 01). I then updated my navigation commands as needed ensuring the duplicate M2TS files were used when needing to land on Episode 4 or 5 of a given page, the other M2TS files being used at all other times.

I added a cool new feature to the Blu-ray menu as well just for fun, a feature which includes my first success at conditions based menu navigation. It's now possible to navigate directly to "Series 1", "Series 2" or "The Office Special" at any time. Prior the title treatment would change based on the series you were browsing. I'm now using the same title treatment for all menu pages per the below, i.e. "The Office: The Complete Series". Below the title treatment I then call out which series is currently selected.

The "Series 1", "Series 2" and "The Office Special" items shown above are not actually menu buttons. Well they could be, but they're not. Each consist of a "Normal" image only and contain no navigation commands. The above objects reside on Page 1 (ID 0) and Page 2 (ID 1) and call out the series you're currently browsing. Something does happen if you navigate up from a given title button though. See below.

Series 1 selected...

When navigating up on Page 1 (ID 0) from a Title button you're taken to Page 3 (ID 2) shown above. Page 3 (ID 2) mirrors Page 1 (ID 0), but contains only 3 buttons, "Series 1", "Series 2" or "The Office Special". Page 2 (ID 1) works the same way. From Page 2 (ID 1) you're taken to Page 4 (ID 3) which mirrors Page 2 (ID 1) and again, is only used to select a different series. When navigating up the button which represents the current series you're browsing is the one that's selected.

Series 2 selected...

Navigating left and right provides for selecting a different series of course, the above example showing "Series 2" selected. Navigation left and right wraps around in this case.

The Office Special selected...

And here's "The Office Special" selected. When pressing "Enter" you're taken to the Title button for the first episode of the given series. Selecting the current season you're browsing and pressing "Enter" returns you to the page used for title selection. Navigating down from any of the buttons results in the same. Of course for the end user it doesn't look like there's more than one page involved.

I also wanted to briefly touch on how I implemented some of the above. See the below excel sheet for point of reference.

So here's where my first success with conditions based navigation comes into play. The above excel sheet shows the Button Overlap Group (BOG) values and Navigation Commands I used for the first M2TS file (99002) that makes up the Blu-ray menu. When navigating up from a given title button I wanted to always return to the same title button if navigating back down again. Note the values highlighted in the "Upper" column above for each title button.

When navigating up from the Title 1 button on Page 1 ID 0 for example, when navigating up I'm taken to Button Overlap Group, 000C. BOG 000C, 000D, 000E and 000F are hidden buttons, one for each title button, each set to active automatically (auto_action_flag), each updating the GPR1 value ("GPR1, 1" for Title 1, "GPR1, 2" for Title 2 and so forth.) prior to taking me to the page used for series selection (Page 3 ID 2) and selecting the button for the series I'm currently browsing ("SetButtonPage 9, 2" i.e. Page 3 ID 2, BOG 9, Series One).

If navigating back down to the title selection page (Page 1 ID 0) I do so conditionally based on the current GPR1 value. This ensures I'm always taken back to the same title button I had navigated up from per the below. The below list of navigation commands run until one of the conditions is met. EQ stands for "equals", i.e. if GPR1 equals 1 go to Page 1 ID 0 and select BOG 1, if GPR1 equals 2 go to Page 1 ID 0 and select BOG 2, and so forth.

EQ GPR1, 1
SetButtonPage 1, 0
EQ GPR1, 2
SetButtonPage 2, 0
EQ GPR1, 3
SetButtonPage 3, 0
EQ GPR1, 4
SetButtonPage 4, 0

Or I could just say...
SetButtonPage GPR1, 0

In any event, just thought I'd share. And please keep in mind. I'm just feeling my way around in the dark here so. There's not exactly a definitive resource available online I can take advantage of. Well, if there is please point me in the right direction. :-P So anyway, feel free to download the latest version of my Blu-ray menu here if you like including my assets. May prove helpful to other beginners like myself anyway. The download links are a half dozen posts up from this one. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 22nd February 2022 at 05:43.
Old 15th February 2022, 11:47   #36  |  Link
Lowpro

The Office: The Complete Series (2001-2003)

I've been playing around with my Blu-ray menu for "The Office: The Complete Series (2001-2003)" over the course of the past month in an effort to get more familiar with BDedit and all things Blu-ray menu related. Over the past week I really started putting things together and now have a solid grasp on the basics I think.

This latest version of the Blu-ray menu consists of a single M2TS file (99000.m2ts) containing 4 pages. Page ID 0 contains a single Button Overlap Group (BOG), a hidden button which is set to activate automatically (auto_action_flag). The BOGs only purpose is take me to Page ID 1 (Series 1 | Playlist 15, 99001.m2ts), Page ID 2 (Series 2 | Playlist 16, 99002.m2ts) or Page ID 3 (The Office Special | Playlist 17, 99003.m2ts) of the menu. The same IG menu (SubPath, 99000.m2ts) is being used for Playlists 15-17 in this case, each playlist providing a menu background specific to the given series.

Of course I worked up the Blu-ray menu ahead of time as I've been doing, then creating an excel sheet to use with BDedit when going to update the original Quick-Play menu. Below is what the Blu-ray menu looks like from Photoshop.

(Click on the preview above to view the full size image.)

The excel sheet I created for this version of the Blu-ray menu is improved in a few ways compared to how I've been doing them in the past. See below. Having everything planned and mapped out ahead of time is key. The process I've been following here continues to serve me well.

And here's the end result. Each series has its own page. Navigation is per series and wraps around whether you navigating left/right or up/down. Included with this version of the Blu-ray menu are episode descriptions, a new "Play All" type option and an improved "Series Selection" option. Navigating up/down provides for accessing each level of the menu.

Series 1 (Page ID 1)

Series 2 (Page ID 2)

The Offfice Special (Page ID 3)

So here's how the "Play All" option works. Pressing "OK" toggles the "Play All" option "On" and "Off" once selected. Episodes play sequentially when the "Play All" option is turned "On". Playback starts from the episode selected. When the last episode of the series finishes playing you're taken back to the menu, the first episode of the series being selected. When the "Play All" feature is turned "Off" episodes play individually. The selected episode plays after which you're taken back to the menu, the same episode being selected.

To browse a different series the "Series Selection" options are used. Navigating up/down provides for accessing that level of the menu. Selecting the series you're currently browsing results in you being taken back to the episode you had selected last. When selecting a different series you're taken to the menu page for the given series. The same IG menu (99000.m2ts) is used in this case. Each series does have its own playlist (Playlists 15-17, 99001-99003) though, the given playlist showing a menu background specific to the series selected.

Link action provided below for those interesting in checking out the above firsthand. Included below is a download link to my assets as well.

• "The Office: The Complete Series" QP Menus (3.59 MB)
• "The Office: The Complete Series" QP Menu Assets (100 MB)

And if anyone has any questions (or comments) don't hesitate to chime in. Over the next few weeks I plan to create some more professional looking Blu-ray menus now that I've reached an adequate level of proficiency. I'll be working up a few different Blu-ray menu templates. If I turn out something decent I'll be sure to make the given Blu-ray menu available here for download.

Last edited by Lowpro; 22nd February 2022 at 05:44.
Old 2nd June 2022, 05:02   #37  |  Link
Lowpro

Summer School (1987)

A few months ago I decided to see if I could take a BD-J based retail Blu-ray menu and create a HDMV version of the menu from scratch using nothing but Photoshop, PNG Quantizer and BDedit. My goal was to replicate the retail Blu-ray in both form and function. At the time I had just purchased "Summer School (1987)" on Blu-ray so I figured why not. Let's see if I'm able to replicate the Blu-ray menu and in the process master the art of HDMV based Blu-ray menu creation.

That being said, I finally reached my goal and then some. Thought I'd share the end result. Provided below are screenshots of the TOP MENU and POPUP MENUS. I also provide a download link to a demo version of the Blu-ray. The demo version is fully functional, but doesn't include the retail M2TS files obviously. For the demo version each retail M2TS file was replaced with an image slideshow. The "Feature Presentation" plays a slideshow of the chapter thumbnails. Well, screenshots I took when going to recreate the chapter thumbnails. Each "Extra" plays a single image, a screenshot of the given "Extra", the title card if available. No audio is included, but the given software/hardware based Blu-ray player will reflect the audio track selected from the Blu-ray menu as if it's actually present. I did include a subtitle track. The subtitle track reads "[English] subtitles enabled." The color of the text alternates between blue and white.

Looking over the Blu-ray in BDedit should prove quite insightful for those looking to edit existing Blu-ray menus or create their own. The Blu-ray in this case will be much easier to follow from BDedit due to the fact the output wasn't generated by some Blu-ray authoring program. When looking over the Blu-ray in BDedit you'll want to reference my GPR definitions. An image and excel sheet of my GPR definitions can be found in the "SUMMER_SCHOOL (DEMO)\BDMV\BACKUP\BDEDIT" folder per the below.

General Purpose Registers (GPRs)
A GPR stores a fixed length variable. The variable is stored as a 32-bit unsigned integer. There are 4096 GPRs available. Navigation commands are used to change the values contained in General Purpose Registers.

Player Status Registers (PSRs)
A PSR stores a fixed length variable. The variable is stored as a 32-bit unsigned integer. There are 128 PSRs including reserved ones in total. Navigation commands can not change the values contained in Player Setting Registers.

TOP MENU (Access via player remote disabled.)
(The "PLAY/EXTRAS/SCENES/AUDIO/SUBTITLES" options can be selected by pressing "OK" or navigating "UP" from the given menu option. Navigating "LEFT" and "RIGHT" wraps around. Navigation between the "PLAY/EXTRAS/AUDIO/SUBTITLES" options is possible from the second level of the TOP MENU as well by navigating "LEFT and "RIGHT". The same is the case for the POPUP MENU.)

PLAY:

(Playback starts from the beginning or resumes where you left off when selecting "PLAY" from the retail Blu-ray menu. My version of the Blu-ray menu displays the below sub-menu items instead.)

BEGIN PLAYBACK:

("Begin Playback" starts playback of the "Feature Presentation" from the beginning and is selected by default if playback can't be resumed. "Resume Playback" is greyed out and not selectable if playback can't be resumed. Navigating "DOWN" takes you to the first level of the TOP MENU, the "PLAY" menu option being selected.)

RESUME PLAYBACK:

("Resume Playback" resumes playback of the "Feature Presentation" where you left off and is selected by default if playback can be resumed. Navigating "DOWN" takes you to the first level of the TOP MENU, the "PLAY" menu option being selected.)

OVERVIEW (Page 1):

(Selecting "Overview" displays a description of the film as seen on the back portion of the cover art. Navigating "LEFT" takes you back to the "PLAY" sub-menu. Navigating "RIGHT" takes you to "Page 2" of the "Overview".)

OVERVIEW (Page 2):

(Navigating "LEFT" takes you to "Page 1" of the "Overview". Navigating "RIGHT" takes you back to the "PLAY" sub-menu.)

EXTRAS:

(The last item played is selected by default. If no item has been played yet the first item is selected by default. If the audio commentary stream is selected the audio commentary item under "EXTRAS" is selected by default instead. Selecting the audio commentary item under "EXTRAS" takes you to the "AUDIO" menu option, the audio commentary stream being selected. Navigating "UP" from the topmost item wraps around to the bottommost item. Navigating "DOWN" from the bottommost item takes you to the first level of the POPUP MENU, the "EXTRAS" menu option being selected.)

SCENES:

(The last chapter played is selected by default. If no chapter has been played yet the first chapter is selected by default. Navigating "LEFT" from "Chapter 1" wraps around taking you to "Chapter 12" and vice versa. Navigating "DOWN" takes you to the first level of the TOP MENU, the "SCENES" menu option being selected.)

AUDIO:

(The last audio stream played by the "Feature Presentation" is selected by default until a different audio stream is selected. If the "Feature Presentation" hasn't been played yet the first audio stream is selected by default. If playback of the "Feature Presentation" completes the first audio stream is selected by default when you're taken back to the TOP MENU. Navigating "UP" from the topmost item wraps around to the bottommost item. Navigating "DOWN" from the bottommost item takes you to the first level of the TOP MENU, the "AUDIO" menu option being selected.)

SUBTITLES:

(Subtitles are turned "OFF" by default if the "Feature Presentation" has yet to be played, otherwise subtitles are turned "OFF" or "ON" based on the state of the subtitles the last time the "Feature Presentation" was played. If playback of the "Feature Presentation" completes subtitles are turned "OFF" when being taken back to the TOP MENU. Navigating "LEFT" and pressing "OK" turns subtitles "ON" for the "Feature Presentation". Navigating "RIGHT" and pressing "OK" turns subtitles "OFF" for the "Feature Presentation". Navigating "DOWN" takes you to the first level of the TOP MENU, the "SUBTITLES" menu option being selected.)

POPUP MENU (Feature Presentation)
(The "POPUP MENU" button on the player remote displays/hides the POPUP MENU. Navigating "DOWN" from the first level of the POPUP MENU hides the POPUP MENU. Navigating "UP" if the POPUP MENU is hidden does nothing unlike the retail Blu-ray which displays the POPUP MENU. BD-J offers a command to turn the POPUP MENU on as well. HDMV only offers a command to turn the POPUP MENU off.)

MAIN:

(The "MAIN" menu option takes you to the TOP MENU, the "PLAY" menu option being selected. Navigation to the TOP MENU is only possible via the POPUP MENUS. Access to the TOP MENU via the player remote is disabled.)

Alternate version of POPUP MENU...

(Not in use. This is an alternate version of the POPUP MENU where the backdrop the menu items sit on extends across the entire width of the screen. When exporting the POPUP MENU assets from Photoshop images for this version of the POPUP MENU are created as well.)

Alternate version of POPUP MENU...

(Not in use. This is an alternate version of the POPUP MENU where the backdrop the menu items sit on extends across the entire width and bottom of the screen. When exporting the POPUP MENU assets from Photoshop images for this version of the POPUP MENU are created as well.)

EXTRAS:

(The last item played is selected by default. If no item has been played yet the first item is selected by default. If the audio commentary stream is selected the audio commentary item under "EXTRAS" is selected by default instead. Selecting the audio commentary item under "EXTRAS" takes you to the "AUDIO" menu option, the audio commentary stream being selected. Navigating "UP" from the topmost item wraps around to the bottommost item. Navigating "DOWN" from the bottommost item takes you to the first level of the POPUP MENU, the "EXTRAS" menu option being selected.)

SCENES:

(The current chapter playing is selected by default. Navigating "LEFT" from "Chapter 1" wraps around taking you to "Chapter 12" and vice versa. Navigating "DOWN" takes you to the first level of the POPUP MENU, the "SCENES" menu option being selected.)

AUDIO:

(The current audio stream playing is selected by default until a different audio stream is selected. Navigating "UP" from the topmost item wraps around to the bottommost item. Navigating "DOWN" from the bottommost item takes you to the first level of the POPUP MENU, the "AUDIO" menu option being selected.)

SUBTITLES:

(The current subtitle stream playing is selected by default until a different subtitle stream is selected. Navigating "LEFT" and pressing "OK" turns subtitles "ON". Navigating "RIGHT" and pressing "OK" turns subtitles "OFF". Navigating "DOWN" takes you to the first level of the POPUP MENU, the "SUBTITLES" menu option being selected.)

POPUP MENU (Extras)
(The "POPUP MENU" button on the player remote displays/hides the POPUP MENU. Navigating "DOWN" hides the POPUP MENU. Navigating "UP" if the POPUP MENU is hidden does nothing unlike the retail Blu-ray which displays the POPUP MENU. BD-J offers a command to turn the POPUP MENU on as well. HDMV only offers a command to turn the POPUP MENU off.)

RETURN TO FEATURE FILM:

(This menu option is displayed when the "Extra" playing was accessed from the "Feature Presentation". The "RETURN TO FEATURE FILM" option is always selected in this case. All other menu options are disabled. Pressing "OK" resumes playback of the "Feature Presentation".)

RETURN TO MAIN MENU:

(This menu option is displayed when the "Extra" playing was accessed from the TOP MENU. The "RETURN TO MAIN MENU" option is always selected in this case. All other menu options are disabled. Pressing "OK" terminates the current playlist and plays the playlist for the TOP MENU instead.)

Resuming playback of "Feature Presentation"...
The playlists for the TOP MENU (00000.mpls) and EXTRAS (00002.mpls-00006.mpls) are all played from the same MovieObject designated TITLE 2. The playlist for the "Feature Presentation" (00001.mpls) is played from a different MovieObject designated TITLE 1. As a result, you're always able to resume playback of the "Feature Presentation", even in the case where you navigate from the "Feature Presentation" (TITLE 1) to the TOP MENU (TITLE 2), play an "Extra" (TITLE 2), then return to the TOP MENU (TITLE 2). Since you never left TITLE 2 the ability to resume playback of the "Feature Presentation" (TITLE 1) is retained.

A download link for the demo version of my "Summer School (1987)" Blu-ray menu is provided below.

IMPORTANT NOTE: A mouse should not be used for menu nagivation when playing the Blu-ray using a software based Blu-ray player. Navigating the Blu-ray menu using a mouse will break the Blu-ray menu. Important things happen as you navigate the Blu-ray menu. Those things only take place when menu navigation is done using a keyboard just as would be the case when using a Blu-ray player remote control.

"Summer School" Blu-ray Menu (Demo) (41.1 MB)

(The above download contains no elements from the original retail Blu-ray, not a single image or file. All images were created from scratch using Photoshop with the exception of the screenshots I took for the chapter thumbnails and image slideshows in addition to the images used for the menu background which I sourced from a high resolution version of the front portion of the retail cover art.)

Last edited by Lowpro; 9th June 2022 at 20:20.
Old 6th June 2022, 06:37   #38  |  Link
Lowpro

1883: The Complete First Season (2021)

I authored (MediaInfo/SubtitleEdit/BDSup2Sub/multiAVCHD/BDRB/Abobe Photoshop/PNG Quantizer/BDedit/ImgBurn) Season 1 of the TV series, 1883 (2021) to Blu-ray this weekend. Thought I'd share the end result. Below is what the TV series looks like for me from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below is a link to my online profile for the TV series which mirrors my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of the profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

As seen from My Movies for Windows Media Center...

And here are screenshots of the Blu-ray menus I worked up. I spread the episodes out across 2 discs, a BD50 and BD25. :-P

As seen from my Blu-ray player...

I'll be watching this on a 1.78:1 (16:9) projector screen. For aspect ratios north or south of 1.78:1 I use black velvet masking which creates a true black hole around the image leaving no unused part of the projector screen exposed. This TV series is in 2.00:1. As such, I went with a 2.00:1 aspect ratio (matted against 1.78:1) for the Blu-ray menu that way no part of the Blu-ray menu is obstructed when my masking is in place.

I should also note that I did replace all the images generated by BDRB's Quick-Play feature in this case. Going forward I'll only be retaining the menu background image which I create in Photoshop. The menu background will include the "Normal" state of each menu button as well. Once creating the Quick-Play menu I'll be replacing the images for each menu button with my own updating the "X" and "Y" coordinates accordingly via BDedit. Each menu button will display an image for its "Selected" and "Activated" states only, a single image for both button states. It sounds like more work, but it's actually less work. If you take a look at these Blu-ray menus in BDedit you'll see what I mean. With my updated process here I'll be able to create the entire Blu-ray menu (graphically) in Photoshop rather than working within the constraints of BDRB. I'll be using BDRB to create the Blu-ray folder structure and encode my menu background image only.

That being said, the above QP menus can be downloaded here for anyone who would like to check them out. As with my prior QP menu downloads, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menus contains 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate my QP menus with your own Blu-ray's of the TV series just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99002) with the ones from my QP menus and you'll be all set. To retain my QP menu item and page navigation behavior carry over the index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv files as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:23.
Old 7th June 2022, 02:20   #39  |  Link
Lowpro

A tip for anyone who might find it useful....
If your Blu-ray contains a TOP MENU you want to be sure the STN table of the playlist (MPLS) for the TOP MENU includes the same number of audio (AU) and subtitle (PG) tracks (PlayItems) as the playlist for the "Feature Presentation" whether that be a feature film or TV episode. Example provided below.

The above shows the playlist (00008.mpls) for the TOP MENU of "1883: The Complete First Season (Disc 1)" per my prior post. Note the STN table. The last thing I do when authoring to Blu-ray is add subtitles (SUP). In this case I included 2 subtitle tracks per episode, "English" and "English SDH". (Each episode only included a single audio track.) The playlist for the TOP MENU only had one subtitle (PlayItem) present in the STN table (PG) originally. If I had kept it that way the second subtitle track (if selected) would not remain selected when returning to the TOP MENU, then playing the next episode. The Blu-ray would default back to the first subtitle track every time. As such, I added an additional subtitle (PlayItem) to the STN table (PG) per the above. Problem solved.

Last edited by Lowpro; 7th June 2022 at 02:40.
Old 8th June 2022, 08:33   #40  |  Link
varekai

Hello Lowpro!

I am so impressed with your BDRB menus!! They are fine pieces of art! I want to learn how to!
1883 series was really good and I would like to put the episodes on Blu-ray discs.
I am familiar with some of the tools exept for BDSup2Sub and BDedit.
Never used the Quick-Play Menus in BDRB and don't know how to activate it.
Could you please show me the steps required, the workflow you use?
I don't need to be micromanaged, I'm fine with Trial & Error, my best friends.
I have the episodes as mkv and subtitles as srt.
I made some basic Blu-ray discs with menus using Photoshop and multiAVCHD before.
multiAVCHD tool is somewhat buggy but it is manageble.
Wouldn't it be awesome if Mr. Dean would continue the development?

Best regards,
varekai

PS/
If you prefer using PM just let me know.
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote