Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd December 2021, 08:47   #1  |  Link
TlatoSMD

Color space - PLEASE HELP!

I've been doing video editing for close to 20 years, and I still can't make color space behave the way it should.

See my problem in the attached photo.

Basically, I've recently begun working in HD for the very first time. I edit my footage in Premiere Pro, but when I render it out, I'm losing quite a lot of gamma or something in a way that can't be fixed by using the gamma filter. Most of the time, it also happens when simply re-importing a file justed rendered with PPro back into PPro.

I've tried every single setting in PPro's output module, and while one or two settings may work when simply re-importing the footage back into PPro, they don't work when using VDub and VDub2 to compress the footage.

As soon as opening a file fresh from PPro in VDub and VDub2, they usually look like this, with the lost gamma, even if they look fine in PPro. Fiddling around with Decode format... in VDub2 for a few hours, I can make the mere *DISPLAYAL* of the footage inside VDub2 look better, but once I render it into a compressed file by means of VDub2 and load the result into PPro, the gamma is lost again.

I used to have this exact same problem 15 years ago when trying to compress files into DV with VDub. Back then, I fixed the issue by means of using PPro instead of Vdub for compressing to DV.

Please help! How can I fix this?

EDIT: Link to external screenshot with the problem: https://abload.de/img/comp02o3j42.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by TlatoSMD; 23rd December 2021 at 19:26.
TlatoSMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2021, 10:06   #2  |  Link
TlatoSMD

Okay, I thinnk I've found a way to *KINDA* fix this:

a.) Render from PPro into uncompressed file.

b.) Use XMedia Recode to convert the uncompressed file to MJPEG with lowest compression, *FORCING* XMedia to use a color space of YUV 4:2:0 Planar 12bpp.

That way, I'm getting a slight redshift, but at least the gamma and black level end up fine.
Old 23rd December 2021, 17:05   #3  |  Link
lansing

You need to upload your screenshot to some image hosting site like imgur, it will take days for approval if you upload it as attachment.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2021, 19:27   #4  |  Link
TlatoSMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
You need to upload your screenshot to some image hosting site like imgur, it will take days for approval if you upload it as attachment.
Thanks, edited my OP accordingly.
Old 24th December 2021, 05:17   #5  |  Link
lansing

It looks like it's just a change in levels, maybe TV levels -> PC levels?
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2021, 10:20   #6  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Quote:
but when I render it out, I'm losing quite a lot of gamma or something
How are you viewing the rendered footage? This does look like a levels issue (TV vs PC aka limited vs full range).