Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd January 2007, 20:10   #1  |  Link
puppydg68

Playing HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Rip on consoles (X360 or PS3)

I was wondering if we can start a discussion regarding the methods we can try to get a HD-DVD/Blu-ray backup to play via the new consoles. Many people use their console for their primary HD-viewing, so i hope we can all help each other out.

Xbox 360 and HD-DVD
Looking at some of the other threads there are 2 challenges in getting HD-DVD working together. A demuxing tool for EVOB is working well in its 3rd revision (containers forum), and while we can demux both the VC1-ES and the DD+ audio track, we can not successfully mux it into a WMV. This is probably our best alternative. going EVOB ---> WMV and stream via media center extender or dashboard. I have read that some are working on using the DVD-Audio track for now since we have no current method of decoding the DD+ audio tracks. This requires a sync of the DVD-audio with the VC-1 video and a mux into a wmv container.. Any comments or success's please reply.

Xbox 360 and Blu-Ray
Most of the Blu-ray movies released so far are mpeg2. I don't have a computer blu-ray burner yet to rip a movie and try it, so I will try to locate a sample.. The resulting decrypted files give M2TS, which should be a standard Mpeg2 TS file which should in theory stream to Xbox 360 via media center extender and hdtdv-pump. Has anyone had the resources to try and confirm this?

I don't think anyone has any success yet getting an H264 encoded Sat HD stream or Hd-dvd stream to play on xbox360 yet.

PS3 and HD-DVD/blu-ray
Looks like the best way would be to work on authoring testing to get HD-DVD VC1 titles reauthored to a BDMV or BD-RE for playback on PS3, PS3 dashboard video is very low compatibility right now, and currently doesn't support any sort of bitstream audio, so no AC3 anyways and this is not optimal for HD viewing. DVD-Guru in the decrypting forum has had success backing up a decrypted blu-ray and getting it to work on a Samsung Blu-ray player, hopefully he will have a chance to test on PS3 and report back his methods.

Many tests have been done regarding getting H264 converted to MP4 for playback under the PS3 dashboard.. Although the video seems to be correct when demuxed from a H264 TS stream to MP4 and then AC3 audio converted to AAC then remuxed into a MP4 files, the ps3 still seems to reject it. This would need to be solved before we could start converting h264/avc encoded blu-ray discs.

Again I believe that until sony gives us better support for video in the XMB, trying network play or hard disk play of these files remuxed or not is futile. For those who are okay with transcoding.. Check out orb.com it's a nice start for an interface for running music, photos and video to your PS3/Wii - although it does transcode everything. The one big advantage is they are working on DVB-S support for TV. many cable solutions already working. http://www.orb.com/en/get_your_digit...d_nintendo_wii

Lets band together and figure out how to enjoy our HD on our consoles.
puppydg68 is offline   Reply With Quote