Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 23rd January 2007, 20:10   #1  |  Link
puppydg68

Playing HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Rip on consoles (X360 or PS3)

I was wondering if we can start a discussion regarding the methods we can try to get a HD-DVD/Blu-ray backup to play via the new consoles. Many people use their console for their primary HD-viewing, so i hope we can all help each other out.

Xbox 360 and HD-DVD
Looking at some of the other threads there are 2 challenges in getting HD-DVD working together. A demuxing tool for EVOB is working well in its 3rd revision (containers forum), and while we can demux both the VC1-ES and the DD+ audio track, we can not successfully mux it into a WMV. This is probably our best alternative. going EVOB ---> WMV and stream via media center extender or dashboard. I have read that some are working on using the DVD-Audio track for now since we have no current method of decoding the DD+ audio tracks. This requires a sync of the DVD-audio with the VC-1 video and a mux into a wmv container.. Any comments or success's please reply.

Xbox 360 and Blu-Ray
Most of the Blu-ray movies released so far are mpeg2. I don't have a computer blu-ray burner yet to rip a movie and try it, so I will try to locate a sample.. The resulting decrypted files give M2TS, which should be a standard Mpeg2 TS file which should in theory stream to Xbox 360 via media center extender and hdtdv-pump. Has anyone had the resources to try and confirm this?

I don't think anyone has any success yet getting an H264 encoded Sat HD stream or Hd-dvd stream to play on xbox360 yet.

PS3 and HD-DVD/blu-ray
Looks like the best way would be to work on authoring testing to get HD-DVD VC1 titles reauthored to a BDMV or BD-RE for playback on PS3, PS3 dashboard video is very low compatibility right now, and currently doesn't support any sort of bitstream audio, so no AC3 anyways and this is not optimal for HD viewing. DVD-Guru in the decrypting forum has had success backing up a decrypted blu-ray and getting it to work on a Samsung Blu-ray player, hopefully he will have a chance to test on PS3 and report back his methods.

Many tests have been done regarding getting H264 converted to MP4 for playback under the PS3 dashboard.. Although the video seems to be correct when demuxed from a H264 TS stream to MP4 and then AC3 audio converted to AAC then remuxed into a MP4 files, the ps3 still seems to reject it. This would need to be solved before we could start converting h264/avc encoded blu-ray discs.

Again I believe that until sony gives us better support for video in the XMB, trying network play or hard disk play of these files remuxed or not is futile. For those who are okay with transcoding.. Check out orb.com it's a nice start for an interface for running music, photos and video to your PS3/Wii - although it does transcode everything. The one big advantage is they are working on DVB-S support for TV. many cable solutions already working. http://www.orb.com/en/get_your_digit...d_nintendo_wii

Lets band together and figure out how to enjoy our HD on our consoles.
puppydg68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 22:02   #2  |  Link
ernysmuntz

There has been a couple of warez HD-DVD9 releases (Fun with Dick and Jane\Underworld).

They apparently play flawlessly, but they are not rips. They seem to be recodes of some HDTV satellite broadcasts.

Still that means it can't be that hard and the software must exist (At least for mpeg2 blueray).
ernysmuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 22:22   #3  |  Link
kuklitis

I think this is rather risky path we are goiong right now ...
If we could just dencrypt HD or Blu-ray and than just burn this to blank media and pop in into any standalone player (especially Xbox360 or PS3) and it would play just fine then we are in big trouble and all Holywood studios would postpone indefinetly all titles and we could screw up all entire segment of HD-DVD and Blu-ray !
I guess they could put up if just this kind of burned movies on BD-R and HD-DVD media would play in PC Drive and some kind of hacked and compromised software or freeware, but no way to play on standalaones without significant downconversion or degradiation or other kind of conversion stuff ...
kuklitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 00:53   #4  |  Link
xyz987

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklitis View Post
I think this is rather risky path we are goiong right now ...
If we could just dencrypt HD or Blu-ray and than just burn this to blank media and pop in into any standalone player (especially Xbox360 or PS3) and it would play just fine then we are in big trouble and all Holywood studios would postpone indefinetly all titles and we could screw up all entire segment of HD-DVD and Blu-ray !
I guess they could put up if just this kind of burned movies on BD-R and HD-DVD media would play in PC Drive and some kind of hacked and compromised software or freeware, but no way to play on standalaones without significant downconversion or degradiation or other kind of conversion stuff ...
You are obviously wrong. DVDShrink and alikes exist since years ago, and this have not stopped Hollywood releasing new DVD titles.

Furthermore, DVD releases are the main revenue source for Hollywood.

Last edited by xyz987; 24th January 2007 at 00:58. Reason: Add text
xyz987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 02:23   #5  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Whether downloaded movies play is not our business as we prohibit discussion about these matters.

In any event, this topic is more suited to our Hareware Playback forum.

Moved.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 17:13   #6  |  Link
cmw

I'm also very interested in this matter, and my approach would be that of a mini hd-dvd... now as it's my understanding, you can burn hd-content on a normal blanc dvd.

Atm, you can do such stuff with pinnacle studio or nero...

However, I just read all this and haven't tried out myself, but since nero can only burn 24mins of hd content on a 4,7 gb dvd, I wonder what codec they use (and I would assume mpg2).

Now I would suggest, that if there were a program which can burn mpg4 ts at ... say 720p it SHOULD playback on any standalone hd-dvd player.

Now the question is, is there any such tool which can do this, or for that matter (I'm no coder^^) would it be particulary difficult to... e.g "modify" an existing encoder so it uses mpeg4 instead of mpeg2 (given that I'm not completly wrong and it does in fact use mpeg2 for mini hd-dvds atm).
cmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 18:32   #7  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Good idea to start a thread about this subject...

Another thing I'd like confirmed is whether the Xbox 360 and/or the PS3 are able to play MPEG-4 Part-2 and/or Part-10 video streams muxed into either the AVI and/or .MP4 containers?

And whether the Xbox 360 and/or the PS3 are able to play AAC audio?

Cheers
Old 29th January 2007, 20:08   #8  |  Link
vitodeluca

I have not been able to get any type of .avi to stream via my xbox 360 natively (only transcoding it) but I have been able to stream H.264 encoded wmv videos to my xbox 360 using the media center extender capabilities, and I believe the xbox 360 had the VC1 and .264 decoding capabilities built in to the embedded software. (I remember reading an article about it somewhere, and how it was built into one of the dash updates)

On another note, I have looked into the “HDDVDJumpstart” package available from Microsoft as well to try and figure out if there would be a possibility to format a drive to “look” like an xbox 360 hd dvd drive when hooked up to the usb port. If that was possible, you could have a disc image on the drive saved which would then boot using the software. I know that dvd drive emulation is possible, but I’m not sure about HD DVD yet.
vitodeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 01:40   #9  |  Link
protovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitodeluca View Post
... I have been able to stream H.264 encoded wmv videos to my xbox 360 using the media center extender capabilities
hey, just to confirm, you were able to mux h264 into a WMV, or you re-encoded the h264 to WMV?

thanks,
p.
protovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 21:55   #10  |  Link
jshumate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernysmuntz View Post
There has been a couple of warez HD-DVD9 releases (Fun with Dick and Jane\Underworld).

They apparently play flawlessly, but they are not rips. They seem to be recodes of some HDTV satellite broadcasts.
I thought that might be the case as "Fun With ..." hasn't been released on anything but DVD yet. Thanks for the explanation.
jshumate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 07:13   #11  |  Link
puppydg68

Streaming mpeg2 Blu-ray to Xbox 360

I was able to successfully stream the trailers and full movie from the Memento Blu-ray.

Backup your Blu-ray using backupbluray utility.

Find the .M2TS files from the
BDMV\STREAM

In the case of memento, the main movie was: 00015.m2ts

Demux using Elecard Xmuxer Pro Save audio as .AC3 and Save video as .mpv

Use Mpeg Tools from TmpegEnc and do a simple Demux - chose mpeg-2 Program (VBR) adding the .ac3 and .mpv file together.

You will have a resulting .MPG file which will stream successfully to Xbox 360

My guess is that as long as you grab the standard .AC3 tracks, you will be able to do this with any Mpeg2/AC3 Blu-ray backup you make.

Now HD-DVD streamed to Xbox 360 is a different story.. Please keep us posted on your findings in this matter. People think the best way will be to recombine the VC1 into a xbox360 compliant .WMV, this is once the DD+ challenge is solved, although we could mux DVD-Audio. But most will prefer it untouched.
Old 14th February 2007, 20:26   #12  |  Link
BUZZARD1

This may sound stupid, but can we not do the same process we have done with dvds to hd-dvds by shrinking them with out comprimising to much on the quality to a 1-2 dvd9's? dvd9 disks are alot cheaper these days

i love www.doom9.org
BUZZARD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 21:05   #13  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Yes, there's a been a lot of discussion in the AVC and alternative codec forums in the last few months over using DVD-9s as mini-HD discs. What I'm not sure is whether anyone's actually successfully authored one, but once the authoring tools are available the codecs (x264, nero, WM9) have proven to be up to the task.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 05:29   #14  |  Link
puppydg68

An even easier way to convert an MPEG2 Blu-ray for streaming to Xbox 360

Find the .M2TS files from the
BDMV\STREAM

Drag and drop your stream file into Elecard Xmuxer Pro - Remux pane. Click output chose transport stream.. Select only 1 audio track, then click start

it will remux the Video with the single audio track into a streamable .TS compatible with xbox 360.. Only tried a few so far, so your mileage may vary.
Old 15th March 2007, 22:05   #15  |  Link
kornesque

wow. i've been wasting lots of time on hd-dvd research. maybe i shoulda invested in a ps3. if there was a vote to end the format war, i know who i'd give mine to. isn't it sad that it's easier to manipulate the competitions media to play on 360 than it is the "native" format? this almost pisses me off. *sigh*
kornesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 04:58   #16  |  Link
protovision

the .m2ts I streamed to my x360 almost worked without remuxing, but the image was all broken up.

I took a look at a working remuxed .ts and non working .ts within HDTV Pump, and it looked like the non remux, non working ver was missing video info, like HxW, fps, etc.

I'm going to send Crypto a PM to see if he can add .m2ts support to HDTV pump, and maybe avoid remuxing altogether for x360 streaming.

p.
protovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 11:29   #17  |  Link
Ranguvar

Xbox 360 plays VC-1, so if you're lucky and have a VC-1 disc, just demux from EVO and remux into WMV. I believe PS3 will play MPEG-4/AVC, so maybe demux/remuxing into an MP4 would work. Xbox 360 is also supposed to do MPEG-2, but my MPEG-2 files won't play unless they're DVD-style MPEG-2... maybe because I had them in MPG format... Hope that helps. Wii only plays Motion JPEG, which makes huge files, and isn't capable of HD, so that's a no-show. Oh, and of course you could just rip the disc to another HD-DVD/Blu-Ray disc and use the 360's external HD_DVD player or the PS3's built-in Blu-Ray player...
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 12:58   #18  |  Link
kornesque

i successfully remuxed a full length vc-1 evo into wmv (i had to re-encode the audio to wma to make the 360 happy), but it has major issues playing, it's 18mbps, and only plays for about 5 seconds before the video stalls and the audio keeps going. if i fast forward at any speed, the video plays at normal speed fine, but with no audio. press play to go back to normal playback, and the video stalls and audio continues ad infinitum. using elecards xmuxer pro (ka-ching! thanks puppydg68) and video redo, an mpeg-2 blueray .m2ts becomes playable on the 360 in a matter of a couple hours and 2 simple steps. what the hell? i'm betting MS is keeping their ducks in a row by keeping mpeg-2 easily playable on 360 in case the format war takes a turn for the worse for them. however, i think blueray also uses h.264, which becomes a re-encoding process for 360. i dunno, anyone else have any thoughts on this theory?

Last edited by kornesque; 16th March 2007 at 13:01.
Old 16th March 2007, 13:40   #19  |  Link
Pookie

Wouldn't simplying popping the HD-DVD into your Xbox-360 HD-DVD player work as well?
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 14:46   #20  |  Link
kornesque

works great, but just like DVDs, many people like playing backups and stashing the originals somewhere safe. i was hoping it was easy when i invested in my drive, but now that i've invested so much time it's become a labor of love.