Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 14th January 2013, 17:11   #1  |  Link
chuuey

Double .dts time after extraction

Hey guys, I'm trying to remux one of my blu-ray films, i extracted the video, dts-hd audio steam and subs with tsmuxer. After i merge them with mkvmerge, I try to play the film and the time says 4:32... I guess it's double of the original? Playing back the .dts file itself i see the same 4:32, so I guess there's something wrong with it? Anyone can help me out? Cheers
chuuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 19:18   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Are you SURE it's showing 4 HOURS and 32 MINUTES - or is it showing 4 MINUTES and 32 SECONDS (If you possibly ripped the wrong video file from the original, commercial Blu-ray disc)?

What is the title and region of the original Blu-ray disc? Does the original, commercial Blu-ray disc exhibit the same behavior?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 19:32   #3  |  Link
hello_hello

I've read of people having frame rate issues after extracting with txmuxer but not audio ones, and to be honest I'd be taking wild guesses as to why......

I don't think tsmuxer has been updated in a long time so maybe try an eac3to GUI instead. There's links to a few of them here. I generally use HD DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor as it's also built into MeGUI and works well. Clown BD seems quite popular for extracting/converting audio streams. I've not used the other two.
Some eac3to GUIs seem to be dedicated to particular tasks, so they might be dedicated to converting audio rather than extracting it etc.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 19:47   #4  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Hi!

Are you SURE it's showing 4 HOURS and 32 MINUTES - or is it showing 4 MINUTES and 32 SECONDS (If you possibly ripped the wrong video file from the original, commercial Blu-ray disc)?
I've seen foobar2000 display the wrong duration for audio files in the past but still play them correctly. Maybe it's to do with the player just displaying what it reads in the audio file's header.... or something. Sometimes the bitrate displayed is wrong which is maybe why it causes it to display the wrong duration.....
I'm just guessing as to why, but I know I've seen it before.... probably after extracting MP3 audio from old AVIs..... I don't know whether the same could apply to all audio types.

I wonder if the duration being displayed is exactly double the duration it's supposed to be..... if so could it that mean for some reason it's really 1500(ish)kbps dts but the player sees it as 750(ish)kbps DTS?
Or something to do with DTS-HD vs just the DTS core?

Last edited by hello_hello; 14th January 2013 at 20:11.
Old 14th January 2013, 20:32   #5  |  Link
chuuey

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Hi!

What is the title and region of the original Blu-ray disc? Does the original, commercial Blu-ray disc exhibit the same behavior?
4:32 hours I mean It's a region A BD of "In Bruges". And the streams seem to be correct, and I should test with the other audio rip tools i guess. The original disc show the correct time.

Well I tried to extract video and streams from another disc this time using megui and the HD stream extractor, when i try to do it - i get an "error" in the queue. Weird Wanted to save video as H264, and audio as DTSHD. I thought that there's no space on the HDD or something but there's more than enough.

Funny enough the stand-alone of that HD stream extractor work lol just the one in megui tosses out an error

Last edited by chuuey; 14th January 2013 at 23:20.
Old 14th January 2013, 23:32   #6  |  Link
hello_hello

I assume you're decrypting with something like AnyDVD if you're extracting directly from the disc? If you check the log file it might give more of an indications as to the cause.
Which version of MeGUI are you using? Maybe try switching to the development update server if nothing else helps. Looking at the MeGUI SourceForge page it appears version 2232 is the current stable version but there's been at least one fix for the HD Streams Extractor since then.
Old 14th January 2013, 23:46   #7  |  Link
chuuey

Well i was using the latest MeGUI_2237_x86. Anyway I just extracted another blu-ray, which was earlier decrypted and fully copied to my HDD. This time i used the HD extractor - and extracted an DTS-HD stream with .dtshd extension. I just wanted to check the stream itself before muxing into an MKV file and i played the .dtshd in MPC-HC - and it showed something like 4 hours and 50 minutes... while the video is 2:30. I don't get it...

And by the way here's the error that megui displays when i try to extract it from the app = ---[Error] [1/14/2013 11:31:52 PM] Exception message: Calling setup of processor failed with error 'Required file 'F:\movies\_bd_r\WALL_STREET\BDMV\BDMV\STREAM\00001.m2ts' is missing.'

Of course the file is there....

Anyway i'm going to try using the command line and remuxing again with eac3to and mkvmerge, hope it works better

aaand it did, using the command line versions fixed it, just remuxed the film into mkv, perfect Thanks for all the help

Last edited by chuuey; 15th January 2013 at 02:49.
Old 15th January 2013, 03:39   #8  |  Link
hello_hello

It's a mystery to me..... but I don't work with dts files all that often and I haven't extracted any from a Bluray disc for a while. Never had a problem in the past though......

The current MeGUI development build is 2278 and I think eac3to has been updated once or twice since MeGUI 2237. I couldn't see anything in either of their changelogs which might relate to your problem but the version of eac3to which MeGUI 2278 uses is 3.27. If you don't have any luck, maybe try the eac3to thread. Someone there might be able to help.
Old 15th January 2013, 08:47   #9  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
Anyway I just extracted another blu-ray, which was earlier decrypted
Did YOU decrypt the original commercial Blu-ray? If so, what software and procedures did you use?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 19:22   #10  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuuey View Post
aaand it did, using the command line versions fixed it, just remuxed the film into mkv, perfect Thanks for all the help
Aisde from you having fixed it, you have to be careful when measuring the duration of raw VBR audio files (basically every losslessly compressed audio format). Since raw files do not have any kind of index a program would have to read the complete file to calculate the total duration. Since this would take a lot of time for a 2 GB big file, most programs do not do this and their duration calculation is totally meaningless. Only after muxing into a container with additional index and duration information (like mkv) every program can correctly see the correct duration without reading the complete file.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dts-hd, mkvmerge, tsmuxer