Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th March 2021, 19:57   #61361  |  Link
doffen

I use an instance of madVR tray control on a laptop when i want to test settings on my htpc. it connects directly through the local network.
doffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 05:20   #61362  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
Hi Andy,
Thanks for confirming that those fans are inaudible at 1000rpm. That's definitely good news. The need to investigate how to tweak the fan curve will not arise if I can't hear anything.

While I'm not a gamer at present, there is a possibility that my grandchildren might nudge me in that direction (for their own benefit, of course). I also have some past experience of video editing and 3D CAD work that I might like to exploit with a new machine. I have therefore now gone ahead and ordered a zippy new PC with an RTX 3070. My habit has been to buy highly-specced workstations and then keep them for quite a long time, so I doubt if this investment will go to waste.

Your help on this topic has been much appreciated
I'm surprised that you found a 3070, but bear in mind that the model I'm talking about is a specific one called 3070 FE (Founders Edition) by Nvidia themselves. If I'm understanding you correctly you ordered a fully built PC with a 3070, which may come with a different model of the 3070 by another brand, thus a different cooler. In any case it should be a good cooler since the card is high-ish end, but I only have the experience with my 3070 FE.
Old 28th March 2021, 07:26   #61363  |  Link
huhn

pretty much every cards beats a FE version so he should get at least the same performance and for a high chance more performance at a lower volume.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 05:23   #61364  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Orange dots appearing in videos.

Anyone know what may be causing lots of very small orange dots to appear in videos?

Has anyone had this start occurring on their systems recently where it didn't occur before?

I thought it might be noise but I've tried changing dithering and noise settings in the dithering options in MadVR, but that didn't stop or significantly change it. I see it occurring in and around multiple colors on screen, but perhaps most heavily near light browns (skins), red objects, and orange objects. I tried to take a screen shot, but the issue doesn't display in screen shots. I have an optimus system, but since the last major Windows 10 update (20H2) I've been unable to use the Nvidia GPU (GTX 680M), its software, nor Optimus for anything, and am stuck using the Intel HD Graphics 4000 for everything (including watching any videos).

If anyone has any settings you want me to check or test let me know.
Old 29th March 2021, 15:03   #61365  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTechi View Post
Not really the direct access I was thinking of when I read from Asmodian that there is a way to remote control madvr but in the end it would bring the same result so thanks for the hint

NoTechi
Yeah, if you have a Windows PC you can simply launch madVR tray on that PC and remotely connect to your other madVR instance on the other PC.

When you enable LAN access on madVR you will see all running instances of madVR in your home network in each madVR tray tool list.

To control madVR like you said from a phone or tablet would requite an app.

I tried to make a madVR control app before, but I found out that the madVR command API only affects the madVR settings on disk, and not the live, running instance of madVR. Meaning you needed to close and re-open madVR to see any changes that you made to the madVR config via remote control. So ultimately I gave up on that idea.

The other way you can control some madVR options is to set up hotkeys in the madVR hotkeys screen and you can use some remote control app on your phone or tablet that lets you simulate hotkeys on your PC.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 18:38   #61366  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
pretty much every cards beats a FE version so he should get at least the same performance and for a high chance more performance at a lower volume.
I think OEMs might tend to skimp on the cooler design, and may have worse coolers, even Asus has a blower 3070 available which are not ideal if you're looking for silence and can spare the case space. Also not all of them have semi-passive coolers.

I guess if it's bad one can always try to get a 3rd party cooler which I actually did, but haven't installed cause I found I didn't really need to, plus I found out the 3070FE is a PITA to do cause it has proprietary fan leads.
Old 29th March 2021, 22:23   #61367  |  Link
haggis999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I think OEMs might tend to skimp on the cooler design, and may have worse coolers, even Asus has a blower 3070 available which are not ideal if you're looking for silence and can spare the case space. Also not all of them have semi-passive coolers.

I guess if it's bad one can always try to get a 3rd party cooler which I actually did, but haven't installed cause I found I didn't really need to, plus I found out the 3070FE is a PITA to do cause it has proprietary fan leads.
I specified the MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GAMING X TRIO, as this was rated as the quietest 3070 at https://premiumbuilds.com/graphics-c...rmarket-cards/.

The wisdom of this choice will be revealed when my new PC is delivered on 23 April. I doubt if I will be disappointed, as it will be replacing a machine that is rather long in the tooth (rather like me)
haggis999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 23:44   #61368  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
I specified the MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GAMING X TRIO, as this was rated as the quietest 3070 at https://premiumbuilds.com/graphics-c...rmarket-cards/.

The wisdom of this choice will be revealed when my new PC is delivered on 23 April. I doubt if I will be disappointed, as it will be replacing a machine that is rather long in the tooth (rather like me)
Looks great, it acually will probably have more headroom than mine before it turns on the fans, if it's semi-passive.
Old 31st March 2021, 14:48   #61369  |  Link
Dogway

What version of madVR (that doesn't expire) let me choose an HDR measurement file? I tried with madVRhdrMeasure113 and 128 but they don't seem to show the folder selection icon.

Also is there a way to load madVR profiles per title? Maybe copying settings.bin to the movie folder or something like that?

Edit: looks like beta 85 broke the measurement file support.

Last edited by Dogway; 31st March 2021 at 15:16.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 15:38   #61370  |  Link
el Filou

In the newer test builds, the measurements folder config is under configuration => files & folders
I never got them to work starting from some build around 90-something. Anyway, the live method in v113 and newer is better than the measurement files.

You can select profiles depending on what's in the file name using the condition filename="whatever" but you'd have to create a different profile for every one of your movies.
If your problem is adapting the tone mapping settings to different types of movies (maybe depending on the mastering data?), I'd do something like renaming the movies this way: "movie title [hdr_profile1].mkv" and then use filename="*[hdr_profile1]*" to map them to just a few different profiles.
Old 31st March 2021, 16:07   #61371  |  Link
Dogway

Thanks for the help. I used v113 before and it was ok, now in v130 it triggers HDR mode on my display so I will test with the measurement files, I fail to see how a live algo can predict peak brightness so far ahead if not relying on a measurement file.

The per movie profile was only to adjust the gamma, some 3D movies have brightness pumped it up to compensate for the glasses.
Old 31st March 2021, 16:14   #61372  |  Link
SirMaster

Use profiles if you want to edit settings per movie.

Make like a "3D gamma" profile and then in the profile selection rules have something like; if the file name contains X, then select profile "3D gamma". Then come up with some special word for X to add to your movie filenames that you want to be gamma adjusted.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 06:21   #61373  |  Link
Bo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
Thanks for the help. I used v113 before and it was ok, now in v130 it triggers HDR mode on my display so I will test with the measurement files, I fail to see how a live algo can predict peak brightness so far ahead if not relying on a measurement file.

The per movie profile was only to adjust the gamma, some 3D movies have brightness pumped it up to compensate for the glasses.
I'm using the following code to distribute gamma and calibration settings for each type. Everything works without adding tags to the file name. Maybe it will help:
Code:
if (3D) "3D"
else if (HDR) "HDR"
else "SDR"
And for the HDR profile (sometimes I turn off the detection of black bars, since the rendering time is reduced on 16:9 movies) with some files, I use the keyboard shortcuts programmed on the remote (mostly numbers)

Last edited by Bo.; 1st April 2021 at 06:24.
Bo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 15:03   #61374  |  Link
Dogway

Yes, it's actually 3D to 2D titles to leverage the open matte of some 3D releases. I already set it up and it works, but the gamma only goes up to 2.60, it would need to be 2.84 to mimic the 2D release... for the time being I lower brightness to -15. Better than nothing.
Old 1st April 2021, 18:41   #61375  |  Link
Klaus1189

Perhaps a silly question, but how can I not get dropped frames in madVR OSD if I get sometimes max stats of 34 ms for rendering for a 60p AV1 8K HDR video? I watched carefully but I don't see dropped frames, stutters or anything like that.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 19:08   #61376  |  Link
el Filou

The important is the present step. As long as the render queue is filled high enough to feed the present queue, you can have one frame (or even many) that takes more time to render and it won't have an impact on presentation as the queue is there to hide the variations in render times.
Old 2nd April 2021, 01:43   #61377  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

blower are for racks and massively better there then other cooler.

but except for the blower cards i have not seen a single GPU test where the FE edition isn't stomped into the ground by board partner cards including temps, clock rate and noise.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 02:20   #61378  |  Link
ttnuagmada

Need some help figuring something out:

Had been using a 980 Ti for a few years, outputing 24hz to a panasonic plasma. Never had any issues. Upgraded to a 3080, and now i get weird stuttering, but only if im at 24hz and trying to play sdr content. If i play a UHD remux, I dont get the stutters. The weird part is that im not showing any dropped frames, even though that's exactly what it feels like is happening. messed with every setting i could think of with the same results. Anyone have any ideas?
ttnuagmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 05:57   #61379  |  Link
Perenista

So there's no way to play this file using madVR and MPC-HC without the image looking all green?

https://pastebin.com/7Tk6DXne

My config is still old... monitor: W2452V, video card Radeon R7 265, Windows 10-64 bit, Core i7 4770... and yet this is the first time I try playing a 4K video and it doesn't show correctly.

What about this Dolby Vision support? I only found this thread about this issue:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/doe...ision.2980754/

>>>>>>> Does Windows 10 and MadVR support Dolby Vision?
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:57   #61380  |  Link
el Filou

Profile 5 Dolby Vision is non-backward compatible which means the player itself has to decode it, and madVR doesn't. Dolby Vision is proprietary and there is no indication of when or if unlicensed playback will be possible.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling