Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 5th November 2014, 17:07   #4601  |  Link
Sivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
@Sivar
Do you have particular interests in regard of features and .NET programming?
In terms of features, I am interested in x265 support and have noted a number of minor glitches/annoyances over the years that I think should be fairly easy to fix. Of course, I am unfamiliar with the code base and intent, so some of what I consider glitches may be by design.

In terms of .NET, I write backend analysis, database, and some web code for a major semiconductor company. In terms of media-related code, I wrote a .NET wrapper to MediaInfo and a program to analyze images and determine whether they should be saved as PNG/GIF or JPEG since I am mildly irritated with websites posting screen captures and clip art using the inappropriate JPEG format.

I have never used VB.NET or Windows Forms, though I expect they are well-designed and easy to pick up.
Old 5th November 2014, 17:43   #4602  |  Link
stax76

@jkilez

I'm sorry, Win XP support is gone too. Working on the application think of it as weight difficult to carry taking away much development time that could otherwise be spent on much more important things.

MS dropped XP support from the .NET framework for exactly the same reason, StaxRip will require .NET 4.5 which don't support XP, Win 10 will have that preinstalled and it's available as download for Win 7.

@Sivar

I encoded only three movies this year, last year it was seven and eight the year before so my usage for StaxRip is limited today and I'm still fine with H.264, all my music is MP3. In the future it would be nice to use it more often and use new stuff like x265 and 4k too as well, I want to maintain StaxRip for everybody and have fun while doing so.

Basic x265 support might not even be hard to add except for the UI exposing all the x265 options, the implementation of the x264 UI is OK though I would like to improve it and use identical designs for x264 and x265.

I'm glad people are willing to contribute, most important thing is experience with video encoding and .NET, I can add you as developer to sourceforge but probably it's better to move to github first, I've little experience with either SVN or GIT, I have read many many good things about GIT.

Last edited by stax76; 5th November 2014 at 20:53.
Old 6th November 2014, 00:28   #4603  |  Link
someoneXgr

I mainly do h264 2pass encodes using QTGMC deinterlacer, I've done many converts for 1 year now that I moved from Yadif. I didn't have the slightest problem, I want though h265 support (basic, I don't do exotic settings, just -tune film for my encodes that sources are mainly sports DVB-T captures or MPEG2 DVDs).
Old 6th November 2014, 06:40   #4604  |  Link
Chetwood

The only thing I'm missing in Stax is Hybrid's ability not to remux the entire file to be encoded. Or am I missing something?

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Old 6th November 2014, 07:33   #4605  |  Link
AMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Yes.

- I have never had a problem with any sort of clashing.
- Each instance can do the same thing (e.g. encoding) or something different (some encoding, some indexing, etc.)
- Each instance of Staxrip is independent. If one fails, needs to be aborted, etc. it does not affect the others.
- If you index a video with Staxrip and want to add it to an existing instance, just click on the window of the instance you want to add it to, then when asked if you want to add to the running copy of Staxrip, say that you do. Somehow Staxrip or Windows remembers the last Staxrip instance that you clicked on.

If you start a new instance by middle-clicking a running instance, the new instance will have the same batch job as the old one, which you delete. It's easy to tell -- when you add a new item, StaxRip shows you the batch queue.

I have run up to 12 instances at a time.
Thanks for your help.

Running one instance gives me 6.98FPS
Running two instances gives me 4fps x 2 (8FPS)

EDIT: looks like i spoke too soon, it seems that when running two instances i have no Audio or Subititles added to the output.

Last edited by AMED; 6th November 2014 at 20:11.
Old 13th November 2014, 04:10   #4606  |  Link
Sivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMED View Post
Thanks for your help.

Running one instance gives me 6.98FPS
Running two instances gives me 4fps x 2 (8FPS)

EDIT: looks like i spoke too soon, it seems that when running two instances i have no Audio or Subititles added to the output.
Did you add them before starting the encode job? (just making sure!)
I have encoded literally over 1,000 movies with multiple concurrent encodes, and my system still has 10 concurrent copies running right now, all without problem.
Old 13th November 2014, 05:59   #4607  |  Link
AMED

I had a feeling i'm doing it wrong.

I don't really understand what you mean by middle clicking a running instance.

1. Start staxrip
2. Choose template
3. Open source, file batch mode.
4. Load in all episodes for this file batch and click ok
5. Start the batch, minimize this instance to tray.
6. Open new instance of staxrip via taskbar shortcut
7. Choose template
8. Open source, file batch mode.
9. Load in all episodes for this file batch and click ok
10. Delete jobs that were included in the previous batch.
11. click start to start the second batch

Is this the correct procedure?

Last edited by AMED; 13th November 2014 at 06:07.
Old 14th November 2014, 07:42   #4608  |  Link
IbrahimKh

Please add x64 support and BPP calculator on next version
Old 15th November 2014, 01:14   #4609  |  Link
Sivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMED View Post
I had a feeling i'm doing it wrong.

I don't really understand what you mean by middle clicking a running instance.

1. Start staxrip
2. Choose template
3. Open source, file batch mode.
4. Load in all episodes for this file batch and click ok
5. Start the batch, minimize this instance to tray.
6. Open new instance of staxrip via taskbar shortcut
7. Choose template
8. Open source, file batch mode.
9. Load in all episodes for this file batch and click ok
10. Delete jobs that were included in the previous batch.
11. click start to start the second batch

Is this the correct procedure?
My process is:
1) Click on the taskbar shortcut or, if already running Staxrip, middle-click on the taskbar icon for the running instance, which will start a new copy.
2) Open source file (usually a single MKV file or Blu-ray folder, but multiple files in batch mode work, too. Some steps below do not apply to batch).
3) Add audio, etc..
4) Preview the video using the subtitle preview. This way, if the source isn't very sharp, I know to have Staxrip shrink the video to make it smaller with no or insignificant loss of fidelity. Videos from my NEX-5N for example are closer to 900p in true image quality.
5) Click Next. I am then asked, "Do you want to add this to the existing Staxrip instance" (or similar). If I select "No", it shows me the queue where I can run a new instance. If I select "Yes" it adds the video(s) to the queue of the last Staxrip instance you clicked on.

I always use the same template so I set Staxrip to open that template up automatically (which you can do when you save a template with project -> Save As...).

I usually add one video at a time because I want to be able to resize since most videos are not really 1080p quality.

Here's a screen capture of my desktop right now. Note the low encoding speed is because I use "Placebo" for encoding and set every instance to use one thread, because adding threads reduces image quality or increases size (though by less than half a percent per thread). Since I encode about one video per HT core, there's no benefit to multi-threading the encode:

Last edited by Sivar; 15th November 2014 at 01:16.
Old 15th November 2014, 02:51   #4610  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

AMED, I don't think there is a "Windows-standard" middle click action - it has lots of different uses.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/NK8uD.png
BTW, "middle-click" is also known as "wheel button click."
Old 1st December 2014, 05:56   #4611  |  Link
brusno

Why does the newest Version of StaxRip 1.1.9.0 use DGAVCDec and not DGDecNV (or DGAVCDecDI), and what is the difference between those programs?
Do you have to have Nvidia Graphic card to use DGDecNV?
And is DGAVCDec equal good as those 2 other programs?
Old 13th January 2015, 00:04   #4612  |  Link
stax76

StaxRip just resurrected, there is a new release available.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stax...ew.7z/download

mirror since sourceforge is broken atm.:

http://1drv.ms/17BSnYT

@brusno

there are some settings in

Tools/Applications

and

Tools/Settings/Demuxing

Quote:
The only thing I'm missing in Stax is Hybrid's ability not to remux the entire file to be encoded. Or am I missing something?
You mean automatic demuxing directly after opening the source? It can now be avoided.

Quote:
Please add x64
I'll give it a shot, for x265 it might be a matter of replacing the executable since it already uses piping.

Last edited by stax76; 13th January 2015 at 01:48.
Old 13th January 2015, 01:17   #4613  |  Link
Betsy25

Old 13th January 2015, 03:34   #4614  |  Link
Sivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
StaxRip just resurrected, there is a new release available.
You made my day! Awesome! Thank you so much! You rock!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I would be happy to help. I may be of limited used since I don't know a thing about VB.Net, but I know C# so I hope other .NET languages won't have too awful a learning curve.
Old 13th January 2015, 18:52   #4615  |  Link
stax76

here is a hotfix for disabled visual styles aka classic style: http://1drv.ms/1xkDmiR

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I would be happy to help. I may be of limited used since I don't know a thing about VB.Net, but I know C# so I hope other .NET languages won't have too awful a learning curve.
Thanks for offering help. Regarding new features I don't have great plans atm., only some minor things and minor requests. Lot's of people gave up StaxRip so I try to make at minimum 2 releases every year like before the big hiatus. One thing missing for instance is aac cutting.

VB.NET should be pretty easy to learn if you know C# and the .NET framework. It's as powerful as C#, some differences are better, others are worse. I've used converters like InstantVB and SharpDevelop often, normally they work very well.

The WinForms API is pretty easy and feature rich but not perfect so extending it with custom drawing and Win32 is quite common, I've built a numeric up down control for the latest release for instance, it looks better then the .NET one, the resizable height is useful for automatic layout giving all control types the same height. For some reason I decided to build all new dialogs from code not using a form designer, it's a quick and easy way to add some options. The new x265 dialog is based on a simple framework making it very easy to build a GUI for any command line application, adding a new switch is (almost) done in a single location with like 7 lines of code on average, everything, GUI, command line, help etc. is then built and wired together automatically . For x264 it was like 10 different locations everything hand crafted so building it was very very boring with all the switches, no chance doing this again with even more x265 switches, for the x265 GUI I even wrote code to parse the documentation and generate code from it.

Last edited by stax76; 13th January 2015 at 18:59.
Old 14th January 2015, 00:32   #4616  |  Link
Bluedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilez View Post
Noooooooooo!

The fact that StaxRip can do both h.263 and h.264 is (a large part of) what makes it great. Some of us still use Xvid for standard resolution encodes, as the resultant avi files work on everything. If you take that feature away, StaxRip starts to look more like a version of HandBrake.
Totally agree, not many programs can encode h.263 and h.264 so flawless, Xvid is still be very useful to output files for dvd players, please Stax bring it back!
Old 14th January 2015, 02:47   #4617  |  Link
manolito

I totally agree, but it seems unlikely that Stax will change his mind...

I use StaxRip 1.1.90 all the time, and for XviD conversions I prefer it a lot to MeGUI or AutoGK. And since I am on WinXP I won't have a chance to upgrade StaxRip anyways...

But this is not a great loss to me. With version 1.1.90 I can upgrade most helper applications easily, and for X.265 there are other applications which do work under WinXP (like dmMediaEncoder).

One thing I found very funny is that the new StaxRip version has no WinXP support any more because XP is such an outdated and ancient operating system. But at the same time it still depends on helper applications like BeSweet or VDubMod which are both from 2005. Go figure...

Cheers
manolito
Old 14th January 2015, 05:56   #4618  |  Link
stax76

I wrote the XviD/DivX code 15 years ago as programming beginner, it was a lot VFW based code difficult to maintain so I removed it. VirtualDubMod is still used for AC3/MP2/MP3 cutting and to decode audio from avisynth so it's used for DVD/DVB MPEG-2 sources. There was a small function to demux AVI with VirtualDubMod which I replaced with a ffmpeg function because the ffmpeg function is generic working with any ffmpeg supported source format. AVI is now not demuxed when the source it opened but when the encoding starts instead.

Bringing back XviD using ffmpeg would be easy to do but I'll only make it if there are some more user requests.

XP was removed in favor of .NET 4.5, I like using new .NET features as much as anybody likes new features, in the latest release I used async/await 2-3 times, other programmers write async code everyday. Async/await is a new language feature and I have some interest in programming languages learning different languages and language innovations from time to time.

Quote:
Visual Studio 2012 introduces a simplified approach, async programming, that leverages asynchronous support in the .NET Framework 4.5 and the Windows Runtime. The compiler does the difficult work that the developer used to do, and your application retains a logical structure that resembles synchronous code. As a result, you get all the advantages of asynchronous programming with a fraction of the effort.
Old 15th January 2015, 21:52   #4619  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Thanks for the update. I still prefer Staxrip instead of MeGui all the time. Maybe you can add xvidencraw as commandline xvid encoder for the people who want that.
FFMPEG of course works also but then people may ask "why not enable VP9 encoder and Theora and UT and whatnot..."
And there are plenty of FFMPEG Guis out there...

If I could make a few more suggestions:

- remove DGAVCDecode because it is old and not recommened anymore

- add LSMASHSource/LWLibAVSource instead, for some file types it is maybe even better than FFMPEGSource, the disadvantage is it has no standalone indexer application

- use wavi or avs2wav instead of VirtualDubMod for Avisynth audio decoding
(of course there is no difference, but I think doing the work in background is recommened instead of plopping additional windows)

- replace bdsup2sub with bdsup2sub++, so at least for this we can get rid of the annoying java dependency

- you provide: "x265 [info]: build info [Windows][GCC 4.6.3][64 bit] 16bpp", which is build with quite old gcc and has 16 bits precision,
with H.265 10 bit precision (16 bit internal) may become standard, but best is to provide both 8 bit and 10 bit builds and make it selectable in x265 config window
(I dont know anything about the prerequisites of the processing chain to utilize 10 bit precision though)

- use x64 builds of x264 and x265 on 64 bit systems, maybe with avs4x26x?

Thanks again for developing this over the years.
Old 15th January 2015, 23:25   #4620  |  Link
AMED

I think a proper system to allow more than 1 encode at once would be very helpful for the people encoding at 1080 or using very slow AVS scripts so they can use the CPU at 100%.

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265