Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 1st April 2010, 08:48   #61  |  Link
GodofaGap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelove
You doubt, that's okay. But that's guessing only.
What makes you think the MeWiki is not guessing? They say it's 'probably' better. IOW it may be better, but it also may not be better. Tautological.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao View Post
I think we can agree that on this forum, when somebody says he "deinterlaced a video", nobody will assume he bob-deinterlaced it, just that he took a 50i/60i video and made it 25p/30p.
I'm fine to agree with that, but I just wanted to point at the flaw in the statement of the MeWiki. There is actually something that you destroy with deinterlacing (in your definition) and keeping this instead may be well worth accepting the lower efficiency of interlaced mode depending on the content.

Last edited by GodofaGap; 1st April 2010 at 09:27.
GodofaGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 13:13   #62  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao View Post
I think we can agree that on this forum, when somebody says he "deinterlaced a video", nobody will assume he bob-deinterlaced it, just that he took a 50i/60i video and made it 25p/30p. Bobbing has become more than a deinterlacing method, it has become the process of taking a 50i/60i video and making it 50p/60p (see the number of avisynth filters with 'bob' in their name, and look at what they do).
It's true that most people use the term "deinterlacing" in the simple way, meaning 25/30i -> 25/30p. But in fact, that is not a good nomenclature.

I don't need to explain anything to *you*, Manao. - But you made the whacky assertion of "deinterlacing != bobbing", and that is just not true. Bobbing IS deinterlacing, and evenmore it is the "true" way of deinterlacing. Opposed to the "usual" meaning of deinterlacing, which is only a crippled subset.

(The process of) "Deinterlacing" is exactly the opposite of (the process of) "Interlacing".

During interlacing, every two raw source frames are combined into one frame. From my understanding, the reverse operation of that is to undo that combination again.

Now, when the majority of people thinks the reverse operation is to undo that combination and to throw away half of the result, then it's a sign that too little education or clarification has been done in all those years.

Having stumbled of this bobbing/deinterlacing confusion more often than enough, I pretty much prefer the terms "same-rate deinterlacing" and "double-rate deinterlacing". Though not quite perfect (it should rather be "half-rate" and "full-rate"), at least it makes clear what is really going on, and should avoid lots of unnecessary confusion.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)

Last edited by Didée; 1st April 2010 at 13:19.
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 13:33   #63  |  Link
Manao

Quote:
But in fact, that is not a good nomenclature.
Agreed. Still, mewiki simply states "deinterlacing", and the most likely correct interpretation is half rate deinterlacing. Or, rather, if it isn't interpreted like that, then mewiki is incorrect, because 50i -> 50p before encoding will most likely increase the required bitrate (at constant quality, psnr, whatever), even with x264.

Tags
content, deinterlace, interlaced, progressive, quality