Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 12th August 2017, 16:17   #1  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Auto-Detect Noise/Banding

Would it be possible to analyze the video to detect how much noise, artifacts, banding or noising it has? Sure it wouldn't be perfect but I'm just wondering what could be done.

I'm just thinking. Noise would have to be done with samples at full resolution. Then you can resize to 288p and analyze that for banding or other types of artifacts.

Encoding that 288p version with Preset=Fast also would tell the complexity of the video to help decide the best video encoding quality setting.

Any thoughts?
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 01:01   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Well, I think you can detect noise by using a transform like the Fourier transform. You "just" have to bring every block in a transform domain and then check whether there are certain high frequencies or not (noise is generally high frequencies). Of course, you can only take a guess.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 02:25   #3  |  Link
lansing

Neatvideo can somwhat do this, it has an "auto profile" option that can automatically find a non-detail area in a selected frame and generate a noise profile. But I don't think this option works on per frame basis, the one auto profile will applies to the whole clip instead of doing it for every frame. And they didn't include this option in their avisynth filter either.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 03:14   #4  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Many professional denoisers work that way, manually configuring a noise profile and removing noise patterns from it. What I'm looking for is to simply and automatically detect the strength to apply by default to the denoiser (or deblocker/debander/deringer). Or perhaps assist in selecting the right encoding quality for desired file size.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 08:01   #5  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
Many professional denoisers work that way, manually configuring a noise profile and removing noise patterns from it. What I'm looking for is to simply and automatically detect the strength to apply by default to the denoiser (or deblocker/debander/deringer). Or perhaps assist in selecting the right encoding quality for desired file size.
I don't think there are any other commercial denoiser that do denoise by noise profile. Magic bullet flat out sucks, its generic and all purpose denoising approach is no different than any other avisynth/vapoursynth denoiser we have here.

Anyway, my point is if you are to develop a denoiser that can automatically tell what part of the frame is noise and then do stuffs to it, creating an algorithm that detect such area should be your very first thing to do because it make sense, without that it's going to be another all purpose denoiser we already have.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 13:24   #6  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

it's possible to be pretty accurate for compression artifacts if that's the kind of noise ur tryna remove
get the QP value for each frame (might need a special source filter for that), greater QP value = more compression artifacts = more aggressive processing
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote