Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 9th March 2017, 10:13   #25761  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Yeah, my OPPO will not play MKV files with E-AC3 audio (Dolby+) I always have to use UsEac3to to covert it to either AC3 or DTS depending on the bit rate. But, I have no idea why BDRB won't process it; I don't think I've ever run a file through it with that codec...
My Samsung will play any audio codec I can throw at it, either via Blu-ray or MKV. But, in this case the Blu-ray player doesn't decode the audio, as it is passed to the amp via HDMI, which will handle all of the DTS and Dolby codecs (only that the core of ATMOS is handled). It will even handle AAC.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 21:07   #25762  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I have some MKV H.264 videos that I want to put on a couple of discs. First, I wasn't sure if the H.264 video would play in the Blu-ray player, untouched, so I created a test disc with a single video. When I put the disc into the player, the video was fine, but there wasn't any audio. Going back to the computer, I looked at the M2TS file, and sure enough, no audio. Then I noticed that when the BDRB job finished, it only showed the video file. No explanation as to why BDRB rejected the audio stream.

The audio is E-AC3 5.1. MediaInfo and txMuxer both claim it is 640 kbps, while VideoReDo says it is 1280 kbps. E-AC3 is a legit Blu-ray audio format, so why would BDRB reject it?

I can supply a 30 sec segment of the video for downloading from my server.
Please provide the segment so I can see what BD-RB sees when trying to import it.
Old 9th March 2017, 21:18   #25763  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Yeah, my OPPO will not play MKV files with E-AC3 audio (Dolby+) I always have to use UsEac3to to covert it to either AC3 or DTS depending on the bit rate. But, I have no idea why BDRB won't process it; I don't think I've ever run a file through it with that codec...
I'll have to go back and look -- but if I remember correctly, support for E-AC3 is optional -- and, I believe it is required to have an AC3 core to be compliant.
Old 9th March 2017, 21:46   #25764  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I'll have to go back and look -- but if I remember correctly, support for E-AC3 is optional -- and, I believe it is required to have an AC3 core to be compliant.
Ah... the ol' 'core' thing, like TrueHD. Makes sense...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 21:49   #25765  |  Link
Lathe

BTW, just a quickie (my usual style...) Just out of curiosity, and you know that I am FULL of it (curiosity, that is...) If I take a Blu-ray that is just, say, maybe a couple of Gigs larger than a BD25 and I'm doing a full backup with faster encoding for Xtras (set at CRF-24) Will BDRB simply JUST re-encode the Xtras since that will likely make enough room to leave the movie file untouched, or will it simply process everything equally because it determines that the entire disc is too big?

In other words, will it necessarily re-encode the movie file too, even though after encoding the Xtras there would really be no need for it?
Old 9th March 2017, 21:56   #25766  |  Link
Lathe

Hmmm, I may just now have the answer. I was processing 'FINAL DESTINATION' and the full disc is about 23.6 Gigs, about .3 or .4 Gigs too large to fit on a BD25. BDRB did indeed just re-encode the Xtras and left the movie file untouched. I don't know if it will ALWAYS do that and if that is standard behaviour, but that's what it did in this case.
Old 9th March 2017, 22:55   #25767  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Therein may lie the answer. It seems that no encoder is creating an AC3 core. Even Amazon isn't adding a core. I personally use ffmpeg and it does not add a core.

How about accepting an E-AC3 stream even if it doesn't have a core and maybe add a little warning to the log file about the AC3 core missing and that may result in no audio.

I know my amp will play it just fine. I do so from my NAS box, using Kodi 17 to my amp via HDMI.
Old 10th March 2017, 00:09   #25768  |  Link
gonca

@Lathe
Quote:
and you know that I am FULL of it
We know
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 03:18   #25769  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
@Lathe

We know

Old 10th March 2017, 10:25   #25770  |  Link
Sharc

^^^^^
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 19:00   #25771  |  Link
MrVideo

Is a sample still desired, even though we know that it doesn't have a core?
Old 10th March 2017, 20:12   #25772  |  Link
ggtop

Quote:
It must have something to do with my adding X264L to correct for the slow decoding of the newer versions. I'll see what I can find.
Hi jdobbs,

is there something I can help with? Such as ini or inf files or something else...I will surely do.

ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 08:54   #25773  |  Link
flash

Been using BD rebuilder for years, only just realized that you can use it to also covert to DVD The only thing I would like to see is some sort of quality meter in %. So you can see how its going to fit onto BD25.
Can you donate through Paypal also ?
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 09:51   #25774  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Been using BD rebuilder for years, only just realized that you can use it to also covert to DVD The only thing I would like to see is some sort of quality meter in %. So you can see how its going to fit onto BD25.
It's not unusual that a DVD created from the BD source by BD-RB looks better than the original DVD from the shop.

No, you can't donate via Paypal anymore. It's their insane decision. But you can always donate by means of the amazon gift card.
Old 11th March 2017, 16:20   #25775  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
It's not unusual that a DVD created from the BD source by BD-RB looks better than the original DVD from the shop
That's been my experience as well. I'm guessing it's because X264 just does a much better job with the same bitrate than whatever encoder they use.
Old 11th March 2017, 16:41   #25776  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
Hi jdobbs,

is there something I can help with? Such as ini or inf files or something else...I will surely do.

ggtop
I found it and fixed it for the next release. It wasn't checking for the use of SupTitle as it should. It was switching to X264L, I'm guessing, because of its preference with an ATCDelta flag. I'd forgotten that happens. It was the only way I could find where it is used when DirectshowSource is selected.
Old 11th March 2017, 21:57   #25777  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
That's been my experience as well. I'm guessing it's because X264 just does a much better job with the same bitrate than whatever encoder they use.
But, DVDs are MPEG-2, not H.264.
Old 11th March 2017, 22:09   #25778  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Paypal stopped doing business with jdobbs in first place.
Old 11th March 2017, 22:50   #25779  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
But, DVDs are MPEG-2, not H.264.
Yes, but still true even with HCenc.
Old 12th March 2017, 04:19   #25780  |  Link
MrVideo

I guess the sample is desired.