Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 9th September 2013, 13:15   #17881  |  Link
thebuff

To answer my own question - I've just tried another disc and it worked absolutely fine, which lead me to believe that it was a bad rip - will try those ones from scratch.
thebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 05:24   #17882  |  Link
AmigaFuture

@thebuff

AnyDVD (HD) is very good. If the rip fails once, or more...check/clean the disks. If that fails, perhaps your optical drive needs the same....or replacement. I clean my drives often and rarely let the laser heads clunk/slam. Sure indicators of...challenges or....problems. Awareness of disk health before insertion helps much more than anything (family, friends, yourself..). Like a physical matter... Haha! Anyway... Glad to know you discovered it.
Old 10th September 2013, 05:35   #17883  |  Link
omegaman7

Indeed. I use an air can to blow off ALL discs before they go in a drive. And I carefully visually inspect them for fingerprints, and/or scratches. Scratches usually aren't the problem though. It's oils and/or dirt in a deep crevice.
Old 10th September 2013, 20:19   #17884  |  Link
dfsooner

Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Yes, of course.

The problem is that there currently isn't a freeware MVC encoder of which I'm aware.
Just for grins I checked out the newest beta of txMuxer to see if it supports IGS. It does not. This shortcoming and the problem with MIN_M2TS_SIZE not working correctly continues to give me problems with titles authored with TMPGenc Authoring Works.
dfsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 23:22   #17885  |  Link
DoctorM

I'm a bit confused, BDRB is demuxing the audio and video to .dts and .264 files in the WORKFILES folder.
It then generates a VID_00001.avs script that uses DirectShowSource on the original .M2TS file instead.

I assume the use of DSS is a fall back, but the System Inspection comes out Ok across the board.
What sort of things should I look for as causing this? What is the normal indexer that BDRB is supposed to be using?
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 01:16   #17886  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I'm a bit confused, BDRB is demuxing the audio and video to .dts and .264 files in the WORKFILES folder.
It then generates a VID_00001.avs script that uses DirectShowSource on the original .M2TS file instead.

I assume the use of DSS is a fall back, but the System Inspection comes out Ok across the board.
What sort of things should I look for as causing this? What is the normal indexer that BDRB is supposed to be using?
That's how it is supposed to work. The .264 (.MPV, VC1) is used only in the event reencoding isn't necessary, otherwise it is removed after the demux. For reencoding an AVS is preferable, because it can include filters etc. You can also access an M2TS more fluidly (it can be very tedious attempting to access a video stream outside a container).

An "indexer" is only used if you have DGDecNV installed on your system. But even in that case the original M2TS is used as the source within an AVS.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th September 2013 at 01:23.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 04:56   #17887  |  Link
DoctorM

Okay, a lot of people seem to beat up the 'directshowsource' method of accessing AVC content. I expected something like ffmpegsource2.
Cool to know nothing went wrong.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 13:45   #17888  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Okay, a lot of people seem to beat up the 'directshowsource' method of accessing AVC content. I expected something like ffmpegsource2.
Cool to know nothing went wrong.
FFMPEGSOURCE2 has problems, especially with VC-1 sources (interlacing, for example) unless it has changed recently (it's been a few months since I've tested it).

In my opinion AVISYNTH with DGDecNV is by far the best method for frame serving. DirectshowSource() would be my choice for second-best (unless frame accuracy in seeking was required, and it isn't in BD-RB)

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th September 2013 at 13:54.
Old 12th September 2013, 19:22   #17889  |  Link
g00g

Support AC3+

Recently I tried to backup a BD with a AC3+ stream. The backup process "Movie Only" just ran fine but the video and audio streams of the backup were out of sync.

Is AC3+ supported?

Furthermore I tried to backup a BD using DGDecNV. In my case the backup process failed right after reencode the first video file and complete audio file. The encode failed message in the log is followed by the output of the inspect tool which in my case showed OK in any part. No other error messages could be found.

Did I miss something here? Any additional hidden option to set?
g00g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 19:53   #17890  |  Link
Racer

Sorry for asking this again, but could actually anybody try the Intel QuickSync accelerated FFDShow decoder. Please let me know if this works:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162442

Right now I'm using DGDecNV with a GT520. Is it actually possible that the picture quality gets a little worse with DGDecNV than using the ffdshow software decoder?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 20:57   #17891  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00g View Post
Recently I tried to backup a BD with a AC3+ stream. The backup process "Movie Only" just ran fine but the video and audio streams of the backup were out of sync.

Is AC3+ supported?

Furthermore I tried to backup a BD using DGDecNV. In my case the backup process failed right after reencode the first video file and complete audio file. The encode failed message in the log is followed by the output of the inspect tool which in my case showed OK in any part. No other error messages could be found.

Did I miss something here? Any additional hidden option to set?
You've definitely missed something. I've done well over 3,000 backups in testing -- most with DGDecNV and have never had a single issue related to it.
Old 12th September 2013, 20:58   #17892  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Sorry for asking this again, but could actually anybody try the Intel QuickSync accelerated FFDShow decoder. Please let me know if this works:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162442

Right now I'm using DGDecNV with a GT520. Is it actually possible that the picture quality gets a little worse with DGDecNV than using the ffdshow software decoder?
No. I don't see how that would be possible.
Old 12th September 2013, 23:16   #17893  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

I don't use BD-RB often, but today I tried making for Argo (US) a full Movie & Menus backup with the Edit Mode on. Was very fast, and worked quite well for the movie itself (especially the forced subtitles), but the disc has a full-length Secondary Video (popup) track, and I wonder about a couple things:

1. Up-front in the Edit mode, there was no way to De-select the Sec Video track, a 480p PIP
2. At the same time, there was also no way to Select the DTS Express stereo audio

So the result allows the playback of the PIP video, but there is no audio to accompany it.

Another odd thing is that this disc has many, many audio and subtitle tracks, and I opted to include only the Eng audio & subtitles (all of them), but at least with my Arcsoft TMT software player there is no way to quickly ID which of these tracks has been retained to select, because Every track is now listed as English. I suppose on my standalone players it would require that I cycle thru all 7 of the audiotracks and 16 of the subtitle tracks until I get to where I want to be. CORRECTION: My standalone player has no trouble identifying the blanked audio/sub tracks as whatever non-English they were--this problem strictly owes to Arcsoft TMT.

This is no big deal but the popup vid is a couple of GB in size (wasted, for lack of audio) which took some time for the program to deal with so I have to ask about it. If there's no way to keep/mux the DTS Express audio, shouldn't I be able de-select the secondary video. Has anyone else here tried backing-up this disc?

Last edited by laserfan; 17th September 2013 at 13:16. Reason: Retract "no way to ID tracks" statement. Sorry!
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 00:44   #17894  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
I don't use BD-RB often, but today I tried making for Argo (US) a full Movie & Menus backup with the Edit Mode on. Was very fast, and worked quite well for the movie itself (especially the forced subtitles), but the disc has a full-length Secondary Video (popup) track, and I wonder about a couple things:

1. Up-front in the Edit mode, there was no way to De-select the Sec Video track, a 480p PIP
2. At the same time, there was also no way to Select the DTS Express stereo audio

So the result allows the playback of the PIP video, but there is no audio to accompany it.

Another odd thing is that this disc has many, many audio and subtitle tracks, and I opted to include only the Eng audio & subtitles (all of them), but at least with my Arcsoft TMT software player there is no way to quickly ID which of these tracks has been retained to select, because Every track is now listed as English. I suppose on my standalone players it would require that I cycle thru all 7 of the audiotracks and 16 of the subtitle tracks until I get to where I want to be.

This is no big deal but the popup vid is a couple of GB in size (wasted, for lack of audio) which took some time for the program to deal with so I have to ask about it. If there's no way to keep/mux the DTS Express audio, shouldn't I be able de-select the secondary video. Has anyone else here tried backing-up this disc?
Look up DTSX_ENABLE in the HIDDENOPTS.TXT file.

You can't remove the secondary video track, because that would be modifying the original authoring (which would cause issues in a full backup). You could probably blank it, though. I can't remember if I enabled that.

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th September 2013 at 00:46.
Old 13th September 2013, 13:51   #17895  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Look up DTSX_ENABLE in the HIDDENOPTS.TXT file.

You can't remove the secondary video track, because that would be modifying the original authoring (which would cause issues in a full backup). You could probably blank it, though. I can't remember if I enabled that.
Thanks jdobbs, I'll check-out DTSX_ENABLE. Sorry I didn't use the proper term--yes I was trying to Blank the secondary vid, but couldn't make it have a red X. But I'll surely leave it in place if I can get some audio with it.

Old 13th September 2013, 21:41   #17896  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Hey if I want to quit BD-RB and assert DTSX_ENABLE and re-run my job so that it extracts the DTS Express audio, can I do that without starting-over from scratch, which otherwise would include the re-encode of video?

Or maybe I could just extract the DTSX audiotrack using tsMuxeR GUI and then tweak the .meta file myself and re-mux?

Old 13th September 2013, 21:54   #17897  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Hey if I want to quit BD-RB and assert DTSX_ENABLE and re-run my job so that it extracts the DTS Express audio, can I do that without starting-over from scratch, which otherwise would include the re-encode of video?

Or maybe I could just extract the DTSX audiotrack using tsMuxeR GUI and then tweak the .meta file myself and re-mux?

No. You'll have to start from scratch.

TSMUXER won't recognize it. (Unless the new alpha has changed that). BD-RB has to demux/remux it manually itself.
Old 13th September 2013, 22:25   #17898  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
No. You'll have to start from scratch.

TSMUXER won't recognize it. (Unless the new alpha has changed that). BD-RB has to demux/remux it manually itself.
Wowza. I didn't know yr software performed this magic--I thought we were all [totally, utterly] at the mercy of Roman/tsMuxeR for all we do.

Thanks for the quick response. As an aside, I was amazed at how quickly BD-RB made a backup of this disc for me, which included re-encoding the whole movie to fit a BD-25 disc. A coupla hours I think. My own 2-step x264 encodes take overnight!

Thank you.
Old 14th September 2013, 00:21   #17899  |  Link
thetorrentlord

Been using this for a couple of years and with this version(44.16) the last 3 all fail at the first video file encode after just a few min. Inspect show OK on all items. Installed all xtras exactly as the instructions say. So am going to try with 44.15. Update to follow.
thetorrentlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 02:12   #17900  |  Link
hoju3508

@thetorrentlord, post log files.