Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 1st March 2009, 14:18   #61  |  Link
turbojet

Any chance of displaying eta reported by x264 in the gui?
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 20:53   #62  |  Link
Sharc

"Shutdown after completion" option would be nice for overnight encodes.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 20:59   #63  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Any chance of displaying eta reported by x264 in the gui?
It would be okay for "time to complete this pass" -- but time to complete just isn't feasible because there is so much difference between passes. The display already tells you the time is started and the percent complete... seems like the eta is easy enough to estimate based on those two things.
Old 1st March 2009, 21:00   #64  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
"Shutdown after completion" option would be nice for overnight encodes.
I'll put one in.
Old 1st March 2009, 22:21   #65  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It would be okay for "time to complete this pass" -- but time to complete just isn't feasible because there is so much difference between passes. The display already tells you the time is started and the percent complete... seems like the eta is easy enough to estimate based on those two things.
That's plenty fine and it's all that x264 and other gui's offer as well. I can understand it would be very difficult to get a good estimate on full project eta.
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:41   #66  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
That's plenty fine and it's all that x264 and other gui's offer as well. I can understand it would be very difficult to get a good estimate on full project eta.
2nd-ed. Time to complete pass is more than sufficient. The extras are almost fun to watch encoding it's that 2nd pass on the main movie that we're all wondering..."hmmm do I have enough time to go to the shops and be out for the day or am I wasting my cpu's encoding time"....

just me then
Furiousflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:55   #67  |  Link
VladDrakul

Not sure if anyone asked this. But one of the things I would like to see in DVD rebuilder was the possibility to open IMAGE FILES.
the same way as DVDShrink does.
VladDrakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:31   #68  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-ƒαиαтιĒ

^ just mount and open. btw, this is a BD-Rebuilder thread..
~bT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:02   #69  |  Link
turbojet

In order to resume in between passes, could you write a file (or log it or something) when first pass finishes, if exists check for second pass and if it doesn't exist run second pass?
Old 7th March 2009, 12:43   #70  |  Link
Sharc

I suggest to make a separate (persistent) CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE= in the BDREBUILDER.ini which can be selected under settings/options similar as the standard BD-5/9/25 sizes.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 00:07   #71  |  Link
DIEGO7-5

Hi jdobbs,

currently interlaced material is deinterlaced with FieldDeinterlace.

Any chance of using something like this to encode to interlaced?:

SeparateFields()
LanczosResize(1920,540)
Weave()

I have tried this in XVID4PSP on h264 1080i/60 material and it worked for me. But i donīt know if this is standalone compatible. According to the changelog XVID4PSP is using a patched version of x264 to achieve this.

Last edited by DIEGO7-5; 12th March 2009 at 00:16.
DIEGO7-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 20:47   #72  |  Link
tekmobile
Webmaster

I know that untouched DTS-HD/TrueHD gets asked for all the time im not really sure whats involved to do this like if theres a "tag" in some other file like the playlist or something but as a test i took my last encode that i still had all the work files for and used tsMuxer to demux the DTS-HD track overwriting the DTS core track that BD-RB extracted then allowed BD-RB to rebuild the m2ts files and everything else it does.

Now i dont know if it will work in a standalone because obviously the disc was oversize due to the DTS-HD track but in totalmedia theatre the disc played back without problems and in the information stated video as AVC (source was VC-1) and Audio as DTS-HD MSTR.

Im just doing another disc with a custom size 2GB smaller that a BD25 to allow for the DTS-HD MA track to burn to a BD-RE and test in my BDP-S350
tekmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 15:59   #73  |  Link
turbojet

Could quick encodes option use the same x264 settings (except add --crf) that is in the movie depending on which quality setting is set?
Old 21st March 2009, 15:14   #74  |  Link
gillie

How about a quick select menu option to recode to 50% of the original file size rather than having to manually work this out and then modify the CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE= in the BDREBUILDER.ini
I store my Blu-ray rips (movie only) on a network share and then stream via a TVIX box. Some movie only rips are huge (i.e. Transformers at 35Gigs) and I have tested with BD Rebuilder and a 50% reduction in size is indistinguishable from the original.
I currently have over 3TB of movies and a 50% reduction without any noticeable quality loss would obviously be a huge saving.
A batch process would also be ideal, even if it relies on an import script, i.e. source path - output path - working path - 50% reduction
gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 19:06   #75  |  Link
GaPony

Try the Movie Only to DVD9... I can't tell any difference from the original when playing them side by side. It saves even more space.
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:54   #76  |  Link
gillie

GaPony - Tried Movie Only to DVD9 but this obviously results in different "compression" levels, i.e. Transformers would be 25% of original size, whereas Swordfish would be 50% of original size.
I just think that a recode of Transformers from 35GB to 7.9GB must be pushing the limits and must result in a noticeable loss and as such would feel much happier with a simple (and constant) 50% reduction for all my movies.
I'm doing this anyway but currently have to calculate and enter the target size manually.
gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:18   #77  |  Link
MikeyBK

I've gone to backing up all my Blurays to BD-9s onto my PC (as well as onto discs as well) and they look pretty amazing when viewed on my 40" HDTV from my PC via a DVI to HDMI cable. I've compared original discs to these BD-9 files on different HDMI ports on my HDTV simultaneously and it's really hard as hell to notice which is which... I'm sure if I were to try and disect it side by side there may be, but if I can't tell which is which.... well that's telling me how good BD-RB and x264 really is.

just my 2 cents//
Old 22nd March 2009, 17:01   #78  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillie View Post
GaPony - Tried Movie Only to DVD9 but this obviously results in different "compression" levels, i.e. Transformers would be 25% of original size, whereas Swordfish would be 50% of original size.
I just think that a recode of Transformers from 35GB to 7.9GB must be pushing the limits and must result in a noticeable loss and as such would feel much happier with a simple (and constant) 50% reduction for all my movies.
I'm doing this anyway but currently have to calculate and enter the target size manually.
I think the level of quality will be subjective, but its hard to make a general comment that the quality is going to suffer in any significant way. Like you say, some movies will look better or worse than others due to the size (movie runtime) of the original. Transformers, for instance, may or may not be pushing the limits of the software, but it looks amazingly good on a BD9 (Movie Only).

What you're doing is an interesting concept. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't on the radar of jdobbs when he invisioned the final product. Whether he would implement the 50% reduction or not, its nice to see that you can still get to where you want using the custom target size. It could be a slippery slope... you want 50%, someone else may want 30% and there's always that one who will want 42.7%.

You did get me thinking about reducing the size of the movies I stream over my network... Thanks... I think.
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:50   #79  |  Link
tyau

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
I think the level of quality will be subjective, but its hard to make a general comment that the quality is going to suffer in any significant way.
I agree.
I encoded a couple of muxed 30GB movie-only to a BD5 (at the highest quality settings). I can tell that there's a difference in quality, namely slight decrease in sharpness. However, shrinking a BD to approximately 1/6th of its original size still yields much, much better results than, say, compressing a 4GB movie-only content to a 700MB AVI.
tyau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:18   #80  |  Link
GaPony

I agree. I think putting, even a Movie Only copy, onto a BD5 is pushing it for anything more than a 90-100 minute movie. When I look at my Movie BD9's though, I have to wonder why the studios need a 50gb disc even if they include all the extra stuff. I honestly can't tell any difference whatsoever when doing a full copy to a BD25 disc... and I know that the uncompressed audio doesn't use up another 15-20gb of space.

For now I copy every movie I have onto BD25 (Full), BD9 (Movie only), and movies under 90 minutes to BD5 (Movie Only). Its for testing and comparison only. In the name of science...