Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 15th November 2020, 15:35   #30201  |  Link
CraigWally

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
Game driver Version 457.30 dated 11/09/2020

I also noted that one could switch to a "studio" driver from within the Geforce experience.. anyone have tried that driver?

//LD
Just tried it, no difference
CraigWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 17:39   #30202  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriz0 View Post
@jdobbs

thank you very much for your software, itīs amazing, but I have a question...
is it possible to disable the --uhd-bd option in 4k encoding to gain a bit more speed?
I assume you mean when you are outputting to ALTERNATE format? It has to be on for a 4k disc.

I'll take a look at it.

It's actually measurably faster? That surprises me.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th November 2020 at 17:43.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 17:57   #30203  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigWally View Post
Just tried it, no difference
A new NVEncC version 5.20 is out - if this should matter.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 08:39   #30204  |  Link
Eriz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I assume you mean when you are outputting to ALTERNATE format? It has to be on for a 4k disc.

I'll take a look at it.

It's actually measurably faster? That surprises me.
NO, movie-only backup. Yes, add --uhd-bd slow down the encode a bit. I have externally encoded movies with x265 and I don't add --uhd-bd to command.
I create the structure with tsmuxer and record to disk. I reproduce them perfectly on xbox series x.
if you could add the option to disable it in hidden options it would be perfect.

thanks for answering
Eriz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 21:40   #30205  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
You can always try DGTonemap, DGHDRtoSDR and DGPQtoHLG
http://rationalqm.us/mine.html
I believe they can run in software mode
Quote:
AVS 2.6 can't handle the higher bit depth, and it has no internal filters equivalent to ConvertBits()
Quick test, but it seems that BD_RB can work with avs+ 32 bit
At least the encode started.
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2020, 01:16   #30206  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriz0 View Post
NO, movie-only backup. Yes, add --uhd-bd slow down the encode a bit. I have externally encoded movies with x265 and I don't add --uhd-bd to command.
I create the structure with tsmuxer and record to disk. I reproduce them perfectly on xbox series x.
if you could add the option to disable it in hidden options it would be perfect.

thanks for answering
Sorry. But just because it happens to work on your system doesn't mean it is ok. That setting needs to be there or you are creating a non-compliant disc. I'd rather not make a change that could create bad discs.

Last edited by jdobbs; 18th November 2020 at 00:57.
Old 17th November 2020, 01:19   #30207  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Quick test, but it seems that BD_RB can work with avs+ 32 bit
At least the encode started.
I tested it before. If I remember correctly, the issue wasn't that it wouldn't work -- it was that some of the filters that BD-RB uses wouldn't work in AVISYNTH+. It's been a long time since I tried it, though.
Old 17th November 2020, 16:36   #30208  |  Link
CraigWally

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
So... if that could be the issue:
Is 'field encoding' support set in hardware or software? Meaning my 'old' driver might still support that feature?

@LowDead: What's your graphics driver version?
I've just downgraded to driver 451
no change with regards to pixelation
CraigWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2020, 22:32   #30209  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigWally View Post
I've just downgraded to driver 451
no change with regards to pixelation
I did the other way around and updated the driver to 457.30 and still got no issues ...
cartman0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2020, 20:32   #30210  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Have someone else tried North American UHD release of Midway (2019) with 0.61.18? Itīs having DV and Iīm getting the tsmuxer error - Reading buffer overflow. Possible container streams are not syncronized...

//LD
Old 23rd November 2020, 00:48   #30211  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Multiprocess

@ JD

Since 0.61.18 doesn't support MULTIPROCESS still... I noticed something very interesting.. I imported an MKV (1080p) that BD-RB (0.61.13) made for me a bit ago. I wanted to rerender it from 23GB to 10GB or so..check some Screen Sharing with my Android and my HDTV.

Using 0.61.13 because MULTIPROCESS functions with it, I had BD-RB import the MKV..went well.. It created:

Movie name (Root)
BDMV
CERTIFICATE
PSEUDO

If I leave PSEUDO there, the split won't happen for the rerendering process. It just goes into single rerendering process. If I delete it or rename it it will MP. I don't have to reload anything, just rename in some way then click Backup and click No on resume, Delete All Old Files.

Heh, I tried this with latest version and this doesn't work. Figured I'd give it a try.
Attached Images

Old 23rd November 2020, 23:26   #30212  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
According to Table 1 NVIDIA dropped 'H.264 field encoding' for Turing and Ampere GPUs.
https://docs.nvidia.com/video-techno...nc-performance

Blu-ray compliance requests 'interlaced' for 25 and 29.97 fps for any resolution. Fake-interlaced is not always possible.
Confused ........
I ran some tests on field based content on my Turing GPU. If you identify the source as interlaced (e.g. --interlace tff) the encoder will fail. If you add "--vpp-deinterlace" to or leave off the "--interlace" from the command line it reencodes it ok. The same holds true for H.264 and H.265. By default BD-RB deinterlaces field-based sources when using NVENCC.

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd November 2020 at 23:48.
Old 24th November 2020, 12:52   #30213  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I ran some tests on field based content on my Turing GPU. If you identify the source as interlaced (e.g. --interlace tff) the encoder will fail. If you add "--vpp-deinterlace" to or leave off the "--interlace" from the command line it reencodes it ok. The same holds true for H.264 and H.265. By default BD-RB deinterlaces field-based sources when using NVENCC.
It seems to be much the same with my Pascal GPU. I can't encode as interlaced, but deinterlacing of interlaced sources works.
It is possibly an NVEncC limitation or a bug, because I can produce interlaced encodes (TFF, BFF) with ffmpeg using NVEnc (h264_nvenc).

Edit:
Now it seems to work with NVEncC for my 'ancient' Pascal 1050ti GPU, after removing the '--multipass 2pass-full' and '--bref-mode middle' from my commandline.
Current commandline for interlaced encoding (probably still much overkill for the new presets):
Code:
NVEncC64.exe --avsw -i "%~1" --codec h264 --profile high --level 4.1 --lookahead 32 --vbr 0 --vbr-quality 22 --aq --aq-temporal --aq-strength 4 --gop-len 24 --ref 4 --nonrefp --bframes 3 --mv-precision Q-pel --preset quality --bluray --interlace tff --max-bitrate 40000 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --output "%~1_NVEncC.m2ts"

Last edited by Sharc; 24th November 2020 at 15:42.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 12:59   #30214  |  Link
gamete

Quote:
By default it will do two pass at high quality. You may be waiting a while.

If you want to do it faster, change the settings to "One Pass (ABR)" and "Good (Fast)". If you that isn't fast enough, you can edit the INI and set ENCODE_QUALITY=5. That will run X265 at it's highest speed. No UHD encode is going to go very fast compared to HD -- but it will be faster that HQ mode. Honestly, if you are outputting to BD-25 or BD-50, you are unlikely see a noticeable quality difference when compared to HQ.

Sorry about the version thing, I forgot to update the internal version number to v0.61.01... it won't hurt anything.
if i set 5 and not 1 ,i lost video picture quality ?
gamete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2020, 01:32   #30215  |  Link
jdobbs

Here's an interesting aside that I found while doing a little testing.

As you might expect, CQM (NVENCC) and CRF (X264) are not exactly the same -- but they use similar concepts. What I've found, by performing SSIM tests, is that a CRF of 23 is not equivalent in quality to a CQM of 23. In fact, in order to get approximately the same SSIM (perceived quality) output of a CRF=23 encode you would use a CQM value of 25.5.

By adjusting this it also brings the sizing a little closer. So to get a similar quality output an NVENCC encode (CQM=25.5) the size of the output is only 1.338 times larger than that of X264 with CRF=23. That's really not bad considering the enormous speed advantage.

This testing was done on a Turing based NVIDIA card (GTX1660). Cards that don't support B frames would probably see different results.

Tomorrow I may set up some tests to find the equivalent CQM quality values for each of the whole number CRFs.
Old 2nd December 2020, 17:54   #30216  |  Link
Weirdo

Blank one or more items, enter Setup and change one or more settings (a resizing one, for example). Blanked items are reset back to non-blanked.

Also, blanked items are not remembered when closing/opening BD-RB. It'd be nice to have this remembered even without saving the project.
Old 2nd December 2020, 22:51   #30217  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Blank one or more items, enter Setup and change one or more settings (a resizing one, for example). Blanked items are reset back to non-blanked.

Also, blanked items are not remembered when closing/opening BD-RB. It'd be nice to have this remembered even without saving the project.
Yeah. That was done purposefully. I can't remember why I did it that way, but I do remember it was a good reason. Blanking should be the last thing you do before encoding.
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:50   #30218  |  Link
gamete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamete View Post
if i set 5 and not 1 ,i lost video quality ?
Sorry jdobbs can you help me ?
Thanks
gamete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:18   #30219  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamete View Post
Sorry jdobbs can you help me ?
Thanks
Yes. Using 5 is a lower quality setting than 1 (5 uses x264's "ultrafast" preset while 1 uses "faster") -- but, the question is whether you can even tell a difference on a 25GB disc. There's also a setting between the two (0) that will use "superfast".

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd December 2020 at 15:21.
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:59   #30220  |  Link
FilipeAmadeuO

@jdobbs
Is there any hidden option to demux all files then stop ?
(Instead of demux file 1 -> rebuild file 1 -> demux file 2 -> rebuild file 2->...)
I would like to have this option in order to replace some subtitles.
FilipeAmadeuO is offline   Reply With Quote