Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 30th September 2015, 23:13   #1  |  Link
infiniter

Forced Blu-ray subs

Hello all! I got a problem to solve, hope you can help me.
I've reauthored a Blu-ray and also added some subs. They were edited in SubtitleEdit, then exported as Blu-ray subs and all set as forced in the export dialog and then muxed into the main movie M2TS. Later I edited the Blu-ray with BDEdit, to make the subs' language match the selected audio language. I also checked the BDMV folder with BDtoAVCHD's stream checker and it found the subs flagged as forced. Then I burnt the Blu-ray to a BD-RE and played it on my PS4. Everything is fine, except for the forced subs not showing up.

I think I missed something. Just by having a track with forced subs in the main movie stream does not make them appear, because the player does not "know" they're there. I presume in the movie setup (BDMV control commands) there has to be something flagging that subtitle as "this one contains forced subs".

Am I right or what else went wrong here?
Thanks in advance for helpful tips.
infiniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 03:34   #2  |  Link
Lyris

Quote:
I think I missed something. Just by having a track with forced subs in the main movie stream does not make them appear, because the player does not "know" they're there. I presume in the movie setup (BDMV control commands) there has to be something flagging that subtitle as "this one contains forced subs".
This is correct. The concept of forced subtitles on BD is a little strange.

The MovieObject commands need to set the number of the subtitle stream - but not turn it on.

For example,
SetStream PG 1 OFF will select PG stream 1 and will only show the "forced" subtitles.
SetStream PG 1 ON will show all the subs in the stream.
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 20:35   #3  |  Link
infiniter

OK, thanks, I'll try.

Update: it worked. The were already two SetStream commands included in the MovieObject, but they were not setting that particular subtitle track to OFF. After I changed that, the forced subs showed up (PowerDVD 13).
Thanks again.

Last edited by infiniter; 2nd October 2015 at 22:24.
infiniter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forced, ps4, subs