Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 20th April 2020, 15:12   #881  |  Link
GCRaistlin

'History (for undo)' window isn't intuitive. Example: I wanted to apply delay +200 ms to the selected subtitle and forward. I did it but I'm not sure if I have selected "Selected line(s) and forward". I go to Edit -> Show history (for undo) and see there: "Before show selected lines earlier/later: 00:00:00,200". It is completely unclear what does it mean. But okay. I press "Compare with current" and see that no, I didn't select the right option before applying the delay. I press 'Rollback'. The window closes; it is unexpected - I'd prefer it to stay open to give me the possibility to "Compare with current" again. But okay. For some reason I want to redo the action - I press Ctrl-Y. Then I press Ctrl-Z again. I perform these actions a couple of times as I'm sure that it doesnt' touch anything but the last action. But then I found out that I was wrong - now I can't undo anything that I've done before applying this delay!

That's how it should work according to my opinion:
  1. Undoing the action isn't an action itself and should not overwrite other actions in the undo stack. It's the most important thing.
  2. Actions in the history should be named natively. In my case above - "Delay +00:00:00,200 for all lines". If the delay was applied for the selected lines: "Delay +00:00:00,200 for lines ##10-14". And so on.
  3. Actions that are undone should be displayed as Italic.
  4. There should be two buttons in the dialog window: "Undo" and "Redo". If the selected action is undone the "Redo" button is active and "Undo" button is disabled. And vice versa.
  5. If the selected action isn't the last action Undo/Redo are applied to the selected action and all actions after it.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 20:58   #882  |  Link
GCRaistlin

The cursor in 'Start time' (in the main window) and 'Hour:min:sec:ms' (in 'Adjust all times...' dialog window) fields is in Overwrite mode: what we enter overwrites the current value. The cursor in 'Duration' field is in Insert mode: what we enter doesn't overwrite the current value. It would be better if the cursor was in Overwrite mode everywhere.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 21st April 2020, 15:48   #883  |  Link
Nikse555

@GCRaistlin: thx for the feedback
1) About "Ctrl-Win-X" hotkey - I presume that SE should ignore all shortcuts if a Win-key is down, right?
2) Undo... I think what I actually wanted to show is more an "Event log" - where *all* entries get saved and can be rolled back to. I am really annoyed by the undo in many gfx application where when you undo something that you want to re-do later, but suddenly the history has been cleared due to a new change and you cannot re-do as you planned (and changes are lost)! I can see that the current "History for undo" is kinda stuck in the middle...
3) Duration field overwrite mode... yes, please. But I actually don't know how.
4) I can see the idea in the asterisk that indicates unsaved changes before the filename, not after...
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2020, 17:10   #884  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
1) About "Ctrl-Win-X" hotkey - I presume that SE should ignore all shortcuts if a Win-key is down, right?
Yes. Besides that I believe that all keyboard shortcuts should be customizable (since you have implemented this for some of them anyway).
Quote:
I am really annoyed by the undo in many gfx application where when you undo something that you want to re-do later, but suddenly the history has been cleared due to a new change and you cannot re-do as you planned (and changes are lost)!
This maybe makes sense but repeatedly undoing/redoing kills the possibility of undoing previous actions this way. I believe it is worse than a killing new change because it is completely unexpected.
Quote:
3) Duration field overwrite mode... yes, please. But I actually don't know how.
You did it for 'Start time' field but you don't know how to do it for 'Duration' field?

Can you please make 'Adjust all times' dialog window auto-closing on 'Show earlier' or 'Show later' press?

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 21st April 2020, 18:02   #885  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Yes. Besides that I believe that all keyboard shortcuts should be customizable (since you have implemented this for some of them anyway).
Yes, not many hardcoded shortcuts left now
Latest beta should ignore shortcuts when the Windows-Key is pressed:
https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Does that work for you?

Quote:
You did it for 'Start time' field but you don't know how to do it for 'Duration' field?
Yeah, sorry. Winforms does not have the best controls in the world. It's of course possible in some way but there's no quick fix to do this for a "NumericUpDownControl" as far as I know.

Quote:
Can you please make 'Adjust all times' dialog window auto-closing on 'Show earlier' or 'Show later' press?
I often keep the window open or click "Show later" multiple times...
Old 22nd April 2020, 06:49   #886  |  Link
Nikse555

Titlebar now also changed so asterisk is first: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Old 26th April 2020, 09:05   #887  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Titlebar now also changed so asterisk is first
Hi Nikse!

One regression (to me) was the "fix continuation style". I was really happy with the removal of leading … and now that new rule is making sometimes a mess.

Some requests:
  1. in the binary compare dialogue, right clicking in the input field gives some used characters in different language families. You forgot italian: we use same vowels as spanish but with open accent, i.e. àèìòù and é plus all their capitals. For the lower case it's easy, as we have on keyboard, for the upper I have to use charmap. And please add french letters too, such as âêîôû and capitals. Perhaps it's better to do a separate menu for vowels and variations only, as they repeat in a lot of languages.
  2. set a new rule to find mixed case words, usually OCR errors, such as RAvEN or raVen, would you?
  3. the possibility to order the rule order in the fix errors dialogue or preferences
  4. move the red big Italic warning to the right of the character to type, it's more visible there
  5. add a green Regular warning too
  6. add a flag not to add the typed character in the OCR DB: sometimes there are strange ones that would cause issues on later OCR
  7. report the OCR progress bar on the application bar Subtitle Edit icon (such as other app do) and/or ring a bell when it needs attention
Thanks!

Last edited by tormento; 26th April 2020 at 15:13. Reason: Edited #1
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2020, 15:03   #888  |  Link
Nikse555

Hi tormento!

I'm just finishing up SE 3.5.15 and only bug fixes right now - but I will keep you input in mind.

The "Continuation style" is now default "not-enabled" (works like it used to be). You can enable (change style or disable) it via Options -> Setting -> General - and "Continuation style" in profile.

The SE OCR taskbar icon will now blink (for a while) when input is required and SE is not focused. Is that what you mean by #7?

Last chance to find bugs before 3.5.15 final
https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
Old 26th April 2020, 15:11   #889  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
The "Continuation style" is now default "not-enabled"
Nice and I would like to see "remove leading ..." back
Quote:
Is that what you mean by #7?
Yep and I'd like some bells too.
Quote:
Last chance to find bugs before 3.5.15 final
There is a really strange bug when smart fixing italian subs that transform every I or l in L. I reported few posts ago. It's rare but sometimes it happens. I will check it out to see if it happens again and give you some sub to test.
Old 27th April 2020, 05:35   #890  |  Link
jlw_4049

Does the batch tool use tesseract? There is no way to select which one it uses. So I am unsure as to which is being used.
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2020, 06:53   #891  |  Link
Nikse555

@tormento: "Rremove leading ..." is back when not using "Continuation style".
Bells... at first blink only or at every blink? or ?

@jlw_4049: Yes, the batch tool uses Tesseract, with last used language.
Old 27th April 2020, 08:15   #892  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Subtitle Edit 3.5.14

Quote:
@tormento: "Rremove leading ..." is back when not using "Continuation style". Bells... at first blink only or at every blink? or ?
Thanks, you could move remove leading to continuation style in options.

For every, let’s say, 5 blinks. If you have time put a value in options, with enabling or disabling sound.

Last edited by tormento; 27th April 2020 at 08:36.
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2020, 09:35   #893  |  Link
Janusz

Hello.

Sorry, I don't know English so I used a translator.

Many thanks to the author for this excellent program and to everyone who develops it.
I use it for many years mainly to extract subtitles from the * .ts stream broadcast by TV stations. I use nOCR because I think this method is unrivaled in terms of speed and accuracy.

Now my comments:

1. With one station it is such that there is not enough space between the first and second line of subtitles and OCR cannot deal with it.

https://forum.doom9.org/attachment.p...1&d=1588067414

https://forum.doom9.org/attachment.p...1&d=1588067512

2. ',' (comma) normally and ',' (comma) used as ' (accent) in e.g. English spelling. I bypassed this problem by combining ' with a letter, but such a combination of characters by "expand" e.g. <' a> - you can't see the nocr character database. You also don't see, for example, % ("o" extended by another two characters "/ o"). Characters created by "expand" are lost when exporting / importing the character base.

3. <No of pixels is space> in <OCR method>
- If I import images from the * .ts file <No of pixels is space = 4>, (this is the configuration file <Settings.xml> and this value is saved for future reference.
- If I import images from index.html - <No of pixels is space = 12> - always,
no matter that I changed this value before.
- <No of pixels is space> for italics. In this case, it would be useful to use a different space than, for example, 4, and for italics 3. Decreasing the space by 1 for italics generates much less errors in the combined words. Especially for <j> in italics after <w, r, A>

Best regards, Janusz.
Attached Images

Last edited by Janusz; 28th April 2020 at 10:53.
Janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2020, 13:36   #894  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Latest beta should ignore shortcuts when the Windows-Key is pressed:
Does that work for you?
Yes, it does, thanks.

Quote:
I often keep the window open or click "Show later" multiple times...
You can implement it as an option. At my opinion it's handier to close the dialog and then open it again by a keyboard shortcut.
Also, it would be nice to have the following things implemented here:
  • Time input field is active after opening the dialog.
  • Underscored letters for quick access the radio buttons and keys on Alt-<letter>: Show earlier, Show later, Selected line(s) only, Selected line(s) and forward, All lines.
This way one can call the dialog and have access to all its controls with the keyboard and, what is more, by using only his left hand (except 'All lines' but it doesn't really matter).

Is there a way to expand the selection forward when performing OCR? The first part of Cyrillic "ы" coincides with Cyrillic "ь".
Found a solution: delete "ь" from the database, define "ы", define "ь" again.
It isn't the best solution though as "ь" could be defined when performing OCR of a different sup file so it may not be easy to redefine "ь" again. Can you please add the possibility to add a better match with expanding the selection?

It is unable to load a DVD sup file from within UI while it is possible supplying it as a command line argument.

Magically yours
Raistlin

Last edited by GCRaistlin; 30th April 2020 at 13:10.
Old 30th April 2020, 13:10   #895  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Feature requests:
  1. Check the file being open for errors (erroneous example). DVDSubEdit does.
  2. 'Skip current subpic' button in 'Manual image to text' OCR dialog. It will allow not to abort OCR if the scanned file contains errors (erroneous example, see #358).

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 30th April 2020, 14:15   #896  |  Link
GCRaistlin

The issue that is similar to what I reported earlier (# 2). The same example as for FR # 2 above. Try to OCR it with my Cyrillic.db. If you start from the beginning then the 2nd word in the 2nd line of # 231 will be recognized as "остаьаться". If you start from # 231 itself it'll be "оставаться".
What is interesting is that in 'Inspect compare matches for current image' dialog the problematic character seems to be recognized properly:

Magically yours
Raistlin

Last edited by GCRaistlin; 30th April 2020 at 14:33.
Old 30th April 2020, 20:59   #897  |  Link
darksen

Quote:
SE 3.5.12 is out
@darksen: Did you get a lot of false corrections? Perhaps that could be improved if you posted some.
Sorry for taking so damn long to reply back.
Yes, I always get a lot of that. I make subtitles in Spanish and obviously I use the Spanish rules, some errors I get very often are about the OCR correction, sometimes, and this is just one example, SE wants to replace Marlboro with Mariboro (l for i), other times it wants to replace names for their localized ones, like Ivan with Iván, other times it wants to fix quotes when it doesn't have to, in Spanish the main quotes we use are angled quotation marks (« and ») and if there is a quote inside that quote we use double quotes (" and ") and if there is another quote inside that we use single quotes (' and ' ) but SE sometimes wants to fix the double quotes and replace them with the angled ones despite they being inside angled already, i.e:

Code:
Ivan said: «Blahblahblah "blah-blah-blah" blahblah»
SE wants to fix it like:

Code:
Ivan said: «Blahblahblah blah-blah-blah blahblah»
Or sometimes:

Code:
«Blahblahblah «blah-blah-blah» blahblah»
It also happens when the dialogue is split in more than one subtitle because SE doesn't detect that angled quotes have been used in the previous sub.
And there have been more errors but I can't remember them all right now. That's why I'm asking to split the "Fix common OCR errors (using OCR replace list)" into two, one informing that the default list is used for said correction and the other that the correction comes from the user list.

Thank you.
darksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 22:34   #898  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Feature request: split 'No of pixels is space' ('Import/OCR Blu-ray (.sup) subtitle' dialog window) to 'No of pixels is space after an Italic character' and 'No of pixels is space after an non-Italic character'. These values should definitely differ.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 30th April 2020, 23:35   #899  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Feature requests:
  1. Quick paste of characters with acutes and umlauts in 'Inspect compare matches for current image' dialog (as in 'Manual image to text' dialog).
  2. The possibility to paste a subtitle from the clipboard. Here's what I mean. Let's consider I have two srt files open in two different copies of SE. In one copy, I do a right-click on a line and select 'Copy as text to clipboard'. In another copy, I do a right-click on a line and select 'Paste from clipboard before'. SE adds a subtitle from the clipboard preserving everything but subtitle number (i. e. start time, duration, text). Why do I need this? It may be useful when syncing subtitles (*) that we downloaded from some site to the ones (**) that we ripped from the disc we want to view with (*) and when subtitles (**) are lacking of some lines that are present in subtitles (*). This way, we could easily copy-and-paste missing lines from (*) to (**), then shift them by applying a delay, then import time codes from (**) to (*).

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 1st May 2020, 12:23   #900  |  Link
Janusz

Quote:
Feature request: split 'No of pixels is space' ('Import/OCR Blu-ray (.sup) subtitle' dialog window) to 'No of pixels is space after an Italic character' and 'No of pixels is space after an non-Italic character'. These values should definitely differ.
That's exactly what I mean, as I wrote above.

Quote:
Feature requests:
  1. Quick paste of characters with acutes and umlauts in 'Inspect compare matches for current image' dialog (as in 'Manual image to text' dialog).
  2. The possibility to paste a subtitle from the clipboard. Here's what I mean. Let's consider I have two srt files open in two different copies of SE. In one copy, I do a right-click on a line and select 'Copy as text to clipboard'. In another copy, I do a right-click on a line and select 'Paste from clipboard before'. SE adds a subtitle from the clipboard preserving everything but subtitle number (i. e. start time, duration, text). Why do I need this? It may be useful when syncing subtitles (*) that we downloaded from some site to the ones (**) that we ripped from the disc we want to view with (*) and when subtitles (**) are lacking of some lines that are present in subtitles (*). This way, we could easily copy-and-paste missing lines from (*) to (**), then shift them by applying a delay, then import time codes from (**) to (*).
Instead of starting two sessions of the program, did you try "translator mode"
with the second file as "original text"
Whereby: <Opion / Settings / Allow edit of original subtitle> = "enabled"

I would need a new function:
If I mark a line in the "Compare subtitle" window, it is automatically selected in the main program window.
Janusz is offline   Reply With Quote