Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 28th June 2005, 12:48   #81  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Also, would it be worth turning DGIndex jobs into jobs that can be queued?
I'm not sure.. it would take quite a bit of work..and if you're looking at the one click window just writing a bunch of jobs, a lot of other things would be affected as well (for instance the loading of demuxed audio files from the DGIndex project creator)

Plus I imagine that there's some custom logic somewhere in between DGIndex and the rest of the jobs but I haven't looked at your attachement yet.
Old 29th June 2005, 05:08   #82  |  Link
superdump

I don't know if this has been mentioned before so disregard it if it has but I've noted a couple of things.

Sometimes when switching between the config panel for x264 and the main window and then back again, the settings are remembered in precisely the same manner as they were set. It doesn't really matter, but when you select none from the list of analysis options, click ok, then click the config button, it switches to custom but with all options deselected. Similarly for 'all'. Looking again at the commandline I see that when none is selected there is no --analysis or -A switch specified, so default behaviour will be assumed by the command line encoder. This isn't the same as -A none.

The other thing is, would it be possible to move the rate/qp settings to the main window, or make the user defined profiles not remember the bitrate such that the profile can be selected and then the bitrate set for each encode? I'm not sure what the best method of attacking this would be. I'll have a think and see if I can give a more useful suggestion than above.

Very nice GUI by the way, good work, it's appreciated.
Old 29th June 2005, 07:42   #83  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdump

The other thing is, would it be possible to move the rate/qp settings to the main window, or make the user defined profiles not remember the bitrate such that the profile can be selected and then the bitrate set for each encode?
For automatic encoding, the bitrate is set automatically. I suppose the reasoning behind keeping the bitrate as part of the profile in all other situations is that the profile is a quality-based profile, as in, you would want the same quality for all things you do with the same profile... now that I say it I realise that I'm not actually explaining anything ... ah well.
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2005, 07:44   #84  |  Link
berrinam

@Doom9, I was just wondering whether you wanted to include my OneClickWindow code into the project sometime?
Old 29th June 2005, 08:08   #85  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@berrinam: let's just say I was incapacitated for the entire day yesterday so I didn't look at one single line of code.. obviously it's going to be integrated. Not sure which release but I hope to have major changes (I'm going to move the pre-encoded audio selection away from the main window so that'll cause some changes in other parts) done by the end of the week-end.
Old 29th June 2005, 08:12   #86  |  Link
berrinam

Ok, sorry to nag.
Old 29th June 2005, 17:00   #87  |  Link
superdump

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
For automatic encoding, the bitrate is set automatically. I suppose the reasoning behind keeping the bitrate as part of the profile in all other situations is that the profile is a quality-based profile, as in, you would want the same quality for all things you do with the same profile... now that I say it I realise that I'm not actually explaining anything ... ah well.
Bah. I didn't see the autoencode option. I'll to play with it and discover its behaviour though. It might be good to be able to specify one of your userdefined profiles within it for each of the video passes and for the audio. I see that you can select profiles in the main window but you can only select one video profile, what if you wish to use different settings for the first pass?
Old 29th June 2005, 18:59   #88  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
what if you wish to use different settings for the first pass?
Well.. if you can convince me why this is necessary and why the turbo flag isn't enough..

Though, I have one thing planned not yet listed in the todo list: update an existing job in the queue.. you can load their settings, but you cannot save them back again. Once you can, you can apply another profile to the first pass if you please.. I kinda doubt that most people would want to do that though.. basically you want your options to match as good as possible with the exception of those that can be safely reduced.. and those are the ones for the turbo flag.

I just got a new PC (dual core so I might not write any code today either but I'll resume the work tomorrow and look at the mb options you mentioned.. I'm pretty sure I don't even have to reproduce them.. I seem to recall to have put in certain defaults.. iirc I apply all mb options but force the dropdown to custom.. I can add logic that makes it go to all or none depending on what is checked and what is unchecked.. and the --analyse options.. your'e correct, I didn't take care of that.. it never was an issue using mencoder and that's where I based the commandline generation code on.
Old 29th June 2005, 19:25   #89  |  Link
superdump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Well.. if you can convince me why this is necessary and why the turbo flag isn't enough..
Well, I suppose it makes it more versatile so you don't have to add or remove stuff from the turbo flag but if turbo is implemented as mentioned in the x264 dev thread then I have no reason to convince you really.

I assume that when using the automatic 2 pass mode with turbo enabled it only uses the reduced settings in the first pass and uses the settings specified in the gui for the second pass, right?

Quote:
Though, I have one thing planned not yet listed in the todo list: update an existing job in the queue.. you can load their settings, but you cannot save them back again. Once you can, you can apply another profile to the first pass if you please.. I kinda doubt that most people would want to do that though.. basically you want your options to match as good as possible with the exception of those that can be safely reduced.. and those are the ones for the turbo flag.
Not necessarily for altering the codec settings for my purpose but generally I think this is a worthwhile feature, in case mistakes are made etc.

Quote:
I just got a new PC (dual core so I might not write any code today either but I'll resume the work tomorrow and look at the mb options you mentioned.. I'm pretty sure I don't even have to reproduce them.. I seem to recall to have put in certain defaults.. iirc I apply all mb options but force the dropdown to custom.. I can add logic that makes it go to all or none depending on what is checked and what is unchecked.. and the --analyse options.. your'e correct, I didn't take care of that.. it never was an issue using mencoder and that's where I based the commandline generation code on.
Niiice. AMD or P4? I'm sure that will aid with the next codec comparison. I did note that the options worked correctly for mencoder, it's just the 'none' switch that needs adding when using the cli.

Cheers.
Old 2nd July 2005, 00:10   #90  |  Link
berrinam

Is a plain old x264 gui still wanted? Any comments on what should be included?
Old 2nd July 2005, 00:26   #91  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I assume that when using the automatic 2 pass mode with turbo enabled it only uses the reduced settings in the first pass and uses the settings specified in the gui for the second pass, right?
Absolutely. It will be like that in the upcoming automated 3 pass mode as well (my way of killing a perfectly good week-end)

The analyse switches are fixed in the upcoming 0.2.0.5.. I just need to finish the AVI part.

The first encoding results from my shiny new CPU can be found here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=94226

Quote:
Is a plain old x264 gui still wanted?
Still on the todo list, yes. I see two ways of handling that: 1) smart compiling.. use compilation flags to "throw out" all the stuff not needed. 2) add a flag to the settings file that upon loading disables everythinb but x264 encoding (basically hide the audio groupbox, codec label and selection and blank out the AVI output mode). You also have to blank out everything but the settings in the tools menu, and that menu has to be simplified to just offer the x264 path, and all the options in the other groupbox (except for the x264 encoder of course). If you start now, please be careful to touch as little as possible as a lot of classes will come back changed in 0.2.0.5
Old 2nd July 2005, 00:55   #92  |  Link
berrinam

How long till 0.2.0.5 release? Should I just wait?

About MeGUIlite, do I leave in
matrix editor?
chapters?
zones?
muxing?
raw and mp4 output?
Old 2nd July 2005, 00:58   #93  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

no, the lite is just really an x264.exe GUI... I guess. But that includes both raw and mp4 output (which is what x264.exe can do). I hope to have the new version out within 24h.
Old 2nd July 2005, 04:32   #94  |  Link
Yama4050242
DeadFat

a litter request, can you kindly use Mandarin and Cantonese in the mux tool audio track name instead of chinese, although there are quite a lot of dialects in china,but for dvd backup, i think these 2 are the main ones.
the inconvenience of just a chinese there is if i got a clip with both Mandarin and Cantonese,i can just use Chinese for 1 audio track, but no proper name for the other

btw, i am chinese, poor english:P
Yama4050242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2005, 04:36   #95  |  Link
Yama4050242
DeadFat

or make the audio track name not only selectable, but can define by user would be great
Old 2nd July 2005, 04:42   #96  |  Link
leowai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yama4050242
a litter request, can you kindly use Mandarin and Cantonese in the mux tool audio track name instead of chinese, although there are quite a lot of dialects in china,but for dvd backup, i think these 2 are the main ones.
the inconvenience of just a chinese there is if i got a clip with both Mandarin and Cantonese,i can just use Chinese for 1 audio track, but no proper name for the other

btw, i am chinese, poor english:P
If this is the case, why don't make the language selector editable? You can input whatever name you wish to have in both audio and subtitles section.
leowai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2005, 10:25   #97  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
If this is the case, why don't make the language selector editable? You can input whatever name you wish to have in both audio and subtitles section.
Sorry to be blunt but apparently you do not know how mp4box works. Here's a hint: it takes a 3 letter ISO code, and for some reason it doesn't support them all. So what happens under the hood is that you can work with humanly readable strings, and at the end I resolve them to an ISO string. That only works if I know the values of both in advance. Even if you could enter both, there's no guarantee that it would work because mp4box also knows only a limited selection of languages. I'll go over that list again and make sure I've included every language mp4box supports, but I cannot go beyond that.. it makes no sense to explicitly give users a way to mess up.
Old 2nd July 2005, 10:57   #98  |  Link
Yama4050242
DeadFat

Quote:
Sorry to be blunt but apparently you do not know how mp4box works. Here's a hint: it takes a 3 letter ISO code, and for some reason it doesn't support them all. So what happens under the hood is that you can work with humanly readable strings, and at the end I resolve them to an ISO string. That only works if I know the values of both in advance. Even if you could enter both, there's no guarantee that it would work because mp4box also knows only a limited selection of languages. I'll go over that list again and make sure I've included every language mp4box supports, but I cannot go beyond that.. it makes no sense to explicitly give users a way to mess up.
thx for your explanation, i think i know what you said, and again thx for your great work on this GUI
Old 2nd July 2005, 21:20   #99  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

alright, I have attached the latest version. @berrinam: could you please check how this works with the one click form? And also note that there'll be a new setting soon setting how many passes will be done in auto (and one click) mode.. it'll be called NbAutomatedPasses, of type int. JobUtil.prepareVideoJob will return a third job in automated mode (all in the proper order of course, like it's done for automated twopass right now).
Old 2nd July 2005, 21:31   #100  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Code:
public string StartPath
		{
			get {return path;}
		}
Is not required because the main Form already has a property for that: MeGUIPath

In addition, it has a property to get the settings for the currently configured video codec:
Code:
public VideoCodecSettings VidCodecSettings
so you should use that
I'll add the same to get the current audio settings. Since I'm making heavy use of inheritance we should work with the generic types whenever possible and get the actual type using the "is" operator.

I have already added the new property.. here's the prototype
Code:
public AudioCodecSettings AudCodecSettings
And I hope you don't mind that when I integrate it, I'm going to rewrite parts of the code.. I saw you integrated autocrop and dgindex project creation code, which is not ideal. I'll move those a/multiple separate classes so that the code will only have to be maintained once. Or you can create those classes, as you like.

Tags
development, megui, not a help thread