Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 28th July 2005, 11:39   #281  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Any chance the setting can be made to alter the behaviour of the "Clear" button as opposed to being an automatic removal?
No, clear is really there to start with a clean slate and get around all the question boxes you get when trying to delete a job of a series of jobs. What you want to clear button to do will no longer be necessary as you'll never be in the situation of having properly finished jobs still in the queue when using the new setting. The only ones you might still have would be part of an aborted or errored series of jobs and I strongly believe that those should be kept until such time as the entire series has been successfully completed. You may think that's not necessary but there will be a time when you will be grateful that I didn't change this behavior.
Old 28th July 2005, 19:03   #282  |  Link
TheBashar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
You may think that's not necessary but there will be a time when you will be grateful that I didn't change this behavior.
Oh, I agree with you 100% there. That's a much safer way to go. In fact, by suggesting the "remove all successful" function as a user activated button instead of an automagic thing, I was leaning towards even safer yet.
TheBashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 09:33   #283  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I think there's been a misunderstanding on what the calculator should do in the minimized mode. The only difference between codec specific and full mode is the codec selection and a limited container selection. But I'm already working on changing that, that way I can get my hands dirty with the conditional clauses as well. And I'm not so sure having two initializecomponent methods is such a great idea.. I've added a button, moved around some others, and there's a new checkbox in the settings.. all that needs to be in both versions.
Old 29th July 2005, 09:56   #284  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
And I'm not so sure having two initializecomponent methods is such a great idea.. I've added a button, moved around some others, and there's a new checkbox in the settings.. all that needs to be in both versions.
As far as I can see, there is no way around this. It seems certain that conditional code cannot be put inside the InitializeComponent method, as any changes to the gui in the designer will rewrite the method, losing the conditional code.

Mind you, I seem to be stuck with this conditional compiling. It seems there is no way to elegantly manage all the code. I haven't tried the visual inheritance idea you mentioned a while ago, because I'm not sure how this fits with the GUI designer. I thought that the GUI designer only managed forms in which all the elements are defined and handled within the class. However, I may be wrong. Is there a tutorial or reference on visual inheritance you can point me to?
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 12:31   #285  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

The only thing I have is in a study book for the MCAD certification. But, you can have a base class with certain base functionality, inherit from that and handle events from the base class as well. Basically any form you create is an instance of a visual inheritance.. it inherits from a base form that has a certain look and functionality (like maximize/minimize, closing the form, etc). You can override the events the base form generates (override OnClosing is one example.. I'm using that to prevent the program from closing when the X button in the main form is pressed and encoding is still under way.
Old 29th July 2005, 13:32   #286  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

doom9:
sometimes, when x264cli encoder terminated in an irregular situation, the meGUI will still think the file has sucessfully encoded.
those things such as memory overflow will give a done result instead of error.
meGUI should check the final filesize before set the done state. if the file is 0byte, there must occurs errors.

regards
MeteorRain
MeteorRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 14:56   #287  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
As far as I can see, there is no way around this. It seems certain that conditional code cannot be put inside the InitializeComponent method, as any changes to the gui in the designer will rewrite the method, losing the conditional code.
you should never edit the designer generated code because either your changes will be overwritten by the code serializer or you break the deserializer.

Quote:
I haven't tried the visual inheritance idea you mentioned a while ago, because I'm not sure how this fits with the GUI designer.
visual inheritance commonly means that you design a base class including child controls with the designer and use the designer as well for derived classes. Maybe it's a good solution for what you want to achieve. I found it rather troublesome in VS 2003 and since then never used it again and do fine without it.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 20:08   #288  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I've added the latest sources. I've tried compiling with csc, which works but the resulting binary crashes upon startup. I think it's because of the additional icon that I'm compiling as a resource in VS. Does anybody manage to compile that icon using csc? If so please let me know.. I'd like to include batch files for commandline compiling (there's already one but it produces an executable with the problem described).
Old 30th July 2005, 22:25   #289  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I've added the latest sources. I've tried compiling with csc, which works but the resulting binary crashes upon startup. I think it's because of the additional icon that I'm compiling as a resource in VS. Does anybody manage to compile that icon using csc? If so please let me know.. I'd like to include batch files for commandline compiling (there's already one but it produces an executable with the problem described).
when you compile in VS 2003, doesn't show the output pane the exact compiler command-line? In VS 2005 btw project files are MSBuild based which is part of the .NET redistributable meaning project files can be compiled easily with the .NET redistributable.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2005, 02:42   #290  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
when you compile in VS 2003, doesn't show the output pane the exact compiler command-line? In VS 2005 btw project files are MSBuild based which is part of the .NET redistributable meaning project files can be compiled easily with the .NET redistributable.
that is new to me.. I've never seen that, and compiling files as resources is very new... but you can dl the sources and if yuo have a working batch file, please share............
Old 4th August 2005, 19:47   #291  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

grumpf.. somehow VS managed to kill the beautiful conditional GUIs.. it doesn't show half the GUI classes at all and thinks they're just code classes. I guess I shouldn't have moved a project around in conditional mode. Now I have to go back to the 0.2.1.7 release and port all changes as not being able to use the GUI editor is simply unacceptable.
Old 6th August 2005, 12:39   #292  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I've restored the source. Thank god the last release was still fully functional so it was a simple metter of replacing a couple of files.
Old 6th August 2005, 14:16   #293  |  Link
berrinam

What is the situation with the todo-list? I presume auto deinterlacing is still wanted through the avisynthwindow? Does this mean automatically using Decomb's fielddeinterlace in all NTSC sources, as mezzanine said?

Is there anything else to work on?
Old 6th August 2005, 23:05   #294  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Does this mean automatically using Decomb's fielddeinterlace in all NTSC sources, as mezzanine said?
Is that really good enough? I'm not sure

I've updated the todo list with one item.. besides that nothing comes to mind right now.
Old 7th August 2005, 00:08   #295  |  Link
berrinam

Three bugs I've found:

1. MeGUI always deleted completed jobs, irrelevant of whether the checkbox was ticked in the settingsform. This can be fixed by changing line 3623 (the if statement at the end of MeGUI.markJobDone(StatusUpdate) to
Code:
			if (job != null && job.Status == (int)Job.JobStatus.DONE && job.Next == null && settings.DeleteCompletedJobs)
The check for settings.DeleteCompletedJobs was missing.

2. If x264 reported an error with the [error] output, MeGUI ignored it, and flagged it as done, even though it was a broken encode. I can produce this sort of error by doing a second pass with more input frames than the first pass. This problem can be fixed by changing this if statement:
Code:
			if (log.ToString().ToLower().IndexOf("Syntax:") != -1 
				|| log.ToString().ToLower().IndexOf("unknown") != -1)
from line 391-2, in VideoEncoder.x264Encoding to
Code:
			if (log.ToString().ToLower().IndexOf("Syntax:") != -1 
				|| log.ToString().ToLower().IndexOf("unknown") != -1
				|| log.ToString().ToLower().IndexOf("[error]") != -1)
3. When opening an avs file, the output name will be auto-selected even if there is a first-pass profile selected, so no output wanted. A fix can be done by adding
Code:
				updateIOConfig();
to MeGUI.inputOpenButton_Click at the end of the if block.
Old 7th August 2005, 01:50   #296  |  Link
DigitalDivide

Just a quick question for a noobie. Is it possible to use meGui to encode movies to .mkv and keep my AC3 stream intact without encoding it to AAC? It's really important to me that I have my AC3

Thanks in advance!
DigitalDivide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2005, 03:10   #297  |  Link
berrinam

@DigitalDivide: Yes, it is possible. You have several options for doing this:

1) The OneClickWindow has the option 'Don't encode audio' which will skip the audio encoding stage and mux the original audio straight into mkv.
2) You can set up your video to encode, select mkv filetype, then click autoencode and check 'add additional content (audio, subs, chapters)' which will let you select the audio.
3) You can encode the video yourself (possibly using bitrate calculation from the MeGUI calculator), then mux it with either mkvmerge gui or the megui mkv muxer
Old 7th August 2005, 03:43   #298  |  Link
berrinam

@Doom9: Is video cutting still out of the question? In the HDTV forum, GaveUp has written a small AC3 Cutter which he claims has no more than 48ms sync issues. Could this be combined with AviSynth cutting for video to allow for cutting?

and.... what is audio stream->pid mapping?
Old 7th August 2005, 12:04   #299  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
@Doom9: Is video cutting still out of the question? In the HDTV forum, GaveUp has written a small AC3 Cutter which he claims has no more than 48ms sync issues.
50ms is considered by many to be the start of visible a/v asynch so that's not really good enough. And in Europe, most digital TV broadcasts use MP2 audio, not AC3, so that would have to be handled as well (and in Japan they have a lot of AAC). Imho, the most appropriate way to handle cutting is an AviSynth AC3 source that decodes all available channels to PCM, and a BeSweet that accepts AviSynth as input (I've never tried). With that, you can have frame accurate cutting and no audible asynch.

Quote:
what is audio stream->pid mapping?
In a transport stream, a PID identifies a stream (audio or video), just like you have substream IDs in a VOB. So, if you have your TS, you need to know which PIDs are used for your audio and video in order to select them. It gets even more interesting if you've been recording the data from an entire transponder.. then you have multiple TV channels that you need to differentiate in between.
Old 7th August 2005, 12:22   #300  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
2. If x264 reported an error with the [error] output, MeGUI ignored it, and flagged it as done, even though it was a broken encode.
My bad. Although this sometimes means a broken encode, it is also used to signal non-fatal errors. A better error detection method is then needed.

Tags
development, megui, not a help thread