Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10th June 2009, 08:23   #1  |  Link
lansing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,510
site about video codec comparison?

I remember seeing somewhere in the forum a link to a site that compare all the video codecs. Like there's a picture on top and a list of codec names below it, and when I click on a codec name, it will display its compression quality on the image above.

Anyone still recall the site?
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 15:53   #2  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer
 
Dark Shikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
I remember seeing somewhere in the forum a link to a site that compare all the video codecs. Like there's a picture on top and a list of codec names below it, and when I click on a codec name, it will display its compression quality on the image above.

Anyone still recall the site?
This one?
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 16:26   #3  |  Link
lansing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,510
yes, that's it, thanks
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 21:20   #4  |  Link
St Devious
Hardware Aspirin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
WOW nice !

Btw How would you describe the difference between 1. x264 and Xvid and 2. Divx and Xivd in the "300" image.

I'm thinking 1. is more blocky in Xvid, but don't know if that's the right technical term.

and 2. Divx is softer compared to Xvid.

Is there a software to play these videos side by side to see the difference in motion ?

like AvsP can sort of do for Images.
St Devious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 21:24   #5  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer
 
Dark Shikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Devious View Post
WOW nice !

Btw How would you describe the difference between 1. x264 and Xvid and 2. Divx and Xivd in the "300" image.

I'm thinking 1. is more blocky in Xvid, but don't know if that's the right technical term.

and 2. Divx is softer compared to Xvid.
This is because Xvid uses a lower deadzone than DivX does, hence the blockiness-softness tradeoff.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 21:45   #6  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Devious View Post
Is there a software to play these videos side by side to see the difference in motion ?

like AvsP can sort of do for Images.

You could use avisynth's stackvertical() or stackhorizontal() to play them side by side or on top of each other by playing the .avs in a media player
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 22:12   #7  |  Link
St Devious
Hardware Aspirin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
You could use avisynth's stackvertical() or stackhorizontal() to play them side by side or on top of each other by playing the .avs in a media player
In a post here Dark said,
Quote:
Never compare by opening two videos at the same time, as usually your graphics card overlay can only accelerate one at a time, so the second one is not always identical.
Would that affect the above Avisynth script in AvsP ?

Oh and instead of a media player, can i do that in AvsP ?
St Devious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 22:22   #8  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,771
It works fine, because it's only 1 avs script in 1 instance of a media player (so only 1 instance of the video card overlay is used). Dark S.'s comment refers to multiple instances of media players

Yes, you can do it with avsp only as well
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 22:30   #9  |  Link
St Devious
Hardware Aspirin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
It works fine, because it's only 1 avs script in 1 instance of a media player (so only 1 instance of the video card overlay is used). Dark S.'s comment refers to multiple instances of media players

Yes, you can do it with avsp only as well
got it, thanks
St Devious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 03:09   #10  |  Link
Ramir Gonzales
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 68
If I remember correctly, Someone very special told us screenshots have no value to compare codecs.
Ramir Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 03:15   #11  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer
 
Dark Shikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramir Gonzales View Post
If I remember correctly, Someone very special told us screenshots have no value to compare codecs.
Screenshots have value; you just have to be careful.

In particular, the following "gotchas" apply:

1. Do the two encoders you're comparing have different ratecontrol approaches? If so, one might look worse in a high complexity scene but better in a lower complexity one, or the reverse.

2. Are you comparing between different frametypes? A B-frame might look worse than a P-frame, for example. This is easy to avoid in comparisons between one or two encoders, but impossible to avoid in comparisons with many encoders, especially between very different video formats.

3. Does a particular encoder have very bad (or good) temporal stability? It won't show up in a screenshot.

This doesn't make screenshots useless; it just makes them incomplete as a way to compare video encoders. The primary problem is that visual comparisons "in motion" are incredibly hard to do objectively, especially when differences between two encodes are subtle.

One way to avoid this problem is to use many randomly-selected screenshots from the same clip in order to limit the bias effects involved in any particular one.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.