Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 9th October 2008, 16:33   #1  |  Link
gerryino

Lightweight DVB-T VCR with linux

Hi,

If i have a debian machine without X installed, is it possible to add a DVB-T card and make a lightweight VCR with some command line app and maybe cron?

I mean, do i need X server or i can just install the card driver and work with... (mencoder?)

I have a mini-ITX with Atom@1.6Ghz, i think i can drop the stream on the HD and maybe process it later.
gerryino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 17:10   #2  |  Link
nm

I recommend installing VDR for DVB receiving. It works without X and is pretty lightweight with 10-30 MB resident memory usage, depending on installed plugins. Among other uses, VDR can serve as a plain recording backend, controlled through a web interface like VDRAdmin-AM or VDR LIVE. Debian's VDR packages are quite good, but configuration may be a bit awkward at first. There are some Debian-specific instructions at the VDR Wiki: http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index...onfiguring_VDR

You could also write cron scripts and use command-line DVB tools to control the card, capture transport streams and disect them manually, but VDR already does all this and much, much more. To process VDR's MPEG-2 recordings, use Project X to demux or remux the streams and then re-encode if you wish (all this can be scripted too).
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 19:40   #3  |  Link
gerryino

Didn't know about it, thanks a lot.
gerryino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvb-t, headless, linux, mencoder