Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 6th September 2013, 13:09   #1  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov

DivX 10 HEVC/H265 implementation

I have quite an intense video clip (MJPEG, 640x480@30fps) of a stormy weather with the furious rain and wind, and even at the highest possible bitrate for this resolution (2850Kbit/sec) the resulting video in HEVC still misses a lot of details. Maybe my source isn't exactly compressible, who knows?

What's your experience with DivX HEVC implementation?
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 13:23   #2  |  Link
fumoffu

IMO HEVC (or at least divx and Strongene encoders) aren't doing too good in SD resolutions. My theory is this has something to do with how deblocking and/or SAO works, but I'm definitely not an expert. Generally HEVC has much softer look than h264 which looks nice in 720p or more but SD clips has to be up-scaled almost 3 times it's size on FullHD monitor and that soft look turns into way too much blur.
fumoffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 15:13   #3  |  Link
burfadel

HEVC is new that is why. Has the standard even been finalised yet? HEVC now is probably where h264 was in say, 2005. It still has a long, long way to go in terms of improvement. No doubt in a couple of years time it will look better than h264 even at low bitrates, because it should!
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 16:56   #4  |  Link
phate89

I tried to encode a piece of the video they use to show the encoder (if they use it they think it works well with that video right?).
I took the 4k tears of steel, downscaled to full hd and encoded in h264 with my usual setting ( --level 4.1 --preset placebo --pass 2 --bitrate 1700 --deblock -2:-1 --bframes 4 --ref 4 --vbv-bufsize 50000 --vbv-maxrate 50000 --qcomp 0.8 --merange 32 --subme 10 --psy-rd 1.0:0.15) and h265 divx with the (only) profile available. I keep the bitrate low intentionally.
h265 speed was slightly better than x264 placebo, but in quality x264 is better
h264 1700 kbps http://www.putlocker.com/file/4A0AEA1BD09D3818
h265 1700 kbps http://www.putlocker.com/file/387BC8E4DAD298B5
h264 3000 kbps http://www.putlocker.com/file/5B300A3220091974
h265 3000 kbps http://www.putlocker.com/file/4758CAE945380DBD

Last edited by phate89; 6th September 2013 at 17:01.
phate89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 21:36   #5  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApTeM View Post
I have quite an intense video clip (MJPEG, 640x480@30fps) of a stormy weather with the furious rain and wind, and even at the highest possible bitrate for this resolution (2850Kbit/sec) the resulting video in HEVC still misses a lot of details. Maybe my source isn't exactly compressible, who knows?

What's your experience with DivX HEVC implementation?
Just FYI, the DivX implementation was already brought up here. And yes, the results haven't been too mind-blowing yet. That said, I wonder how much more information, settings and other things can be picked out of the actual MainConcept encoder included (mc_enc_hevc.dll) that is used in the background. After all, it does export some functions and I wouldn't be surprised if with some code you would be able to encode without the DivX application itself in the middle .

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
HEVC is new that is why. Has the standard even been finalised yet? HEVC now is probably where h264 was in say, 2005.
Yes, the HEVC standard has been finalized. ISO/IEC is just taking it slow for whatever reason and thus they still don't have the spec ratified on their side, but ITU-T has already ratified it in April as H.265 (spec). Bit stream was more or less frozen in January. And yes, both sides are ratifying the exact same document ^^; .

And it's more like 2003. Or possibly 2004, since the implementations are maturing somewhat faster than with AVC/H.264 .
Old 6th September 2013, 21:46   #6  |  Link
Doobie

I downloaded the Divx HVEC moments after it was available for download. First, kudos to Divx for getting this out!

The HEVC results look good, and tighter than anything I've seen before (I haven't tried Google's newest video codec, yet).

Anything else I have to say is about the Divx encoder. Does it not have variable bitrate encoding? It won't retain anamorphic structure of the source. It doesn't decode AC3. And, it was so slow.
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 23:58   #7  |  Link
fumoffu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobie View Post
Does it not have variable bitrate encoding?
Well, I'm pretty sure it uses ABR which is somewhat variable but I guess you meant something like CRF in x264 or CQP? and unless there is some undocumented option hidden in dll which I doubt then no.
Yes 2-pass would be nice, hopefully with fast first pass

Last edited by fumoffu; 7th September 2013 at 00:01.
Old 8th September 2013, 03:50   #8  |  Link
xooyoozoo

Encoded some raw test seqs and a short clip from the Paperman short in Divx HEVC 1080p. Target ABR bitrate was set to lowest allowed, 1600 kbps, to show Divx in the best possible light. QP is flat within a frame, which means no AQ and no psy features, so it would definitely not compare well at more luxurious bitrates.

x264 was then bitrate matched to Divx's actual ABR output. Psy-rd was manually lowered to 0.4:0 (same as tune-animation) to acknowledge that it's a liability in bitrate starved situations:
Code:
x264 --preset veryslow -I 120 --psy-rd 0.4:0 -B $b --pass $n
The outputs were cut and recomposed to form side-by-side comparisons and were reencoded for transparency (CRF 10). I also included the demuxed Divx bitstreams and the x264 mkvs. You can find everything here.

If you don't care to download the clips,

Cactus: Divx clear winner
DucksLegs: Tossup. Divx's ratecontrol ruins the middle half of the clip
Paperman: Tossup
VenueVu: x264 slight winner

Overall, I can't shake the feeling that this is mostly moving sideways or, at best, marginally forward while still losing out on backwards compatibility. If there was a clear indication of Divx 10 being only a rough demonstration (a la x265), I'd understand and be much less disappointed. I think that, as is, this release is reminiscent of the early AVC encoders: capable but forgettable.

Last edited by xooyoozoo; 8th September 2013 at 03:58.
xooyoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 07:08   #9  |  Link
turbojet

It's a big improvement over Divx's avc encoder but don't expect them to be competitive as far as quality goes. Their hevc encoder blurs a lot, I'd take x264 over it on all those samples except maybe VenueVu which is blurry to begin with and x264 has more noise. x264 is probably closer to the source, if that's the case it's a sweep.
Old 8th September 2013, 18:30   #10  |  Link
dukey

Give it some time, it's pretty early days with regards to HEVC implementations.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 13:57   #11  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

There is a command line tool available now...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 21:19   #12  |  Link
fumoffu

Very nice of them, definitely step in the right direction. Unfortunately, for now command line barely adds anything useful :/
The difference from GUI version is you can set frame rate, keyframe interval and number of frames to encode.
Was hoping for some quality/speed advanced options or different encoding mode...
Old 13th September 2013, 23:36   #13  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

available command line are:

Quote:
target_cc max_layers max_dpb_depth max_buffering min_buffering bit_depth_luma bit_depth_chroma device_idx device_mode src_width src_height calc_stat calc_hash calc_quality cpu_opt num_threads gop_max_len gop_min_len adapt_b idr_period fixed_i_position use_scd max_reordering HEVC Layer %04d write_pic_par_set profile level width height log2_max_poc sei_msg_flags snr_infer_split log2_min_cu_size log2_max_cu_size log2_min_tu_size log2_max_tu_size max_tu_depth_inter max_tu_depth_intra max_cu_depth_inter max_cu_depth_intra constrained_ipred intra_partitioning strong_intra_smoothing use_me subpel_mode num_ref_frames_l0_p num_ref_frames_l0_b num_ref_frames_l1 search_range out_of_pic_mvs max_num_merge_cand deblock_mode beta_offset tc_offset sao_luma sao_chroma rc_mode quant_i quant_p quant_b quant_min quant_max avr_br hss_rate cpb_size use_nal_hrd use_vcl_hrd cpb_fullness cpb_fullness_trg cpb_fullness_units cb_offset cr_offset sign_data_hide transform_skip lambda_I lambda_P lambda_B flags sar_idc pic_ar_x pic_ar_y sar_width sar_height overscan_appr_flag time_scale num_units_in_tick fixed_frame_rate frame_based_timing bit_rate_scale cpb_size_scale annexb stream_type write_au_delimiters write_seq_end_code write_single_sei write_vid_par_set write_seq_par_set write_id_stamp
certainely with .ini or .cfg file. Anyway I don't find way to use it. Perhaps desactived in this exe file.

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 12:48   #14  |  Link
Selur

+ command line version does not have any progress indication if input comes in via pipe :/
Old 15th September 2013, 03:37   #15  |  Link
Marchand

Using DivX HEVC Encoder

The DivX HEVC encoder [BETA] is a command line tool that is now capable of encoding HEVC content.

Download the binaries here. http://labs.divx.com/node/127927

Usage

DivX H.265/HEVC Encoder

Usage: DivX265 -i <infile> -o <outfile> -br <bitrate> -s <w>x<h> (for raw infile)
or: DivX265 -i <infile> -o <outfile> -br <bitrate> (for .avs|.avi infile)
or: DivX265 -h (for help)

Example Usage

from a raw file (yuv/raw, assumes IYUV/I420 colorspace):

C:\DivX265.exe -i content_in.yuv -o content_out.hevc -br 3000 -s 1280x720

Piping from stdin through another command line tool:

C:\ffmpeg.exe -i content_in.avi -s 1280x720 -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p - | DivX265.exe -s 1280x720 -br 4000 -i - -o content_out_50frames.hevc

from an AVS file (make sure AVISynth is installed):

DivX265.exe -i content_in.avs - o content_out.hevc -br 3000/li>

from an AVI file:

DivX265.exe -i content_in.avi - o content_out.hevc -br 3000/li>

Options

Notes

For more information on bitrate, keyframe intervals, etc., please refer to the DivX HEVC Video Profiles (DRAFT, May 2013).
http://labs.divx.com/node/127903

The default colorspace for encode is assumed to be IYUV or I420

Tested and some did not work? See the image below:

DOWNLOAD VIDEO TEST: https://shared.com/c7ct6nhm2u

Last edited by Marchand; 15th September 2013 at 05:16.
Marchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 12:22   #16  |  Link
Selur

Does anyone know if there will be updated versions of DivX265 or was it a one time thing?
Old 17th October 2013, 16:37   #17  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov

Try to e-mail DivX developers.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 09:08   #18  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

There is a benchmark in the DivX labs regarding their hevc encoder/decoder from the 10.1 beta bundle since few days...

btw, is there a way to use their hevc decoder outside their player ?
Old 20th November 2013, 09:48   #19  |  Link
Selur

Does the 10.1 beta still come with a command line encoder?
Old 20th November 2013, 10:24   #20  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

I don't think so...

Tags
divx, h265, hevc