Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd October 2022, 08:26   #1741  |  Link
darksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
That being said, I can totally understand your confusion as the verbiage in the popup that adds variables is less than clear. I'll fix that soon.
Thank you! Much clearer now in the latest build.
Btw there is a typo in MTX_DESTINATION_FILE_DIRECTORY.
darksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2022, 09:05   #1742  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Gnarf. Thanks for the catch. Fixed.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2022, 09:38   #1743  |  Link
darksen

No problem.

I have tried the action and it is working well but I have another question, it seems that the actions aren't executed after the previous action finishes, instead they are just executed sequentially no matter if the previous action still hasn't finished, is this correct?

I'm asking because I tried executing the action to copy the dates and also enabled the built-in action to delete the source files and if both actions are enabled the dates aren't copied, I'm guessing because the source file is deleted before the script is able to fetch it's timestamp.
darksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:40   #1744  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

The "run program" action runs the program in the background, meaning the GUI doesn't wait for the program to finish. If you have a "delete source file(s)" action configured as well, it'll likely be executed before the program you've also configured has had a chance to do its work.

If you want to delete the source files as well, include it in the program you're running.

Old 8th October 2022, 16:30   #1745  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v71.0 released

Hey everyone!

MKVToolNix v71 is out, bringing some more maintenance, but fixes, partial support for the latest Matroska elements. Partial in the sense that the GUI's chapter editor still needs to be updated for the new elements used for naming/titling editions (similar to how atoms can already be named). This will come in the next release.

A couple of notes for package maintainers: the latest releases of libEBML (v1.4.4) & libMatroska (v1.7.1) are required. They're also bundled, as usual. Those two releases were made on the same day as this MKVToolNix release: 2022-10-08. They should restore ABI compatibility with libEBML v1.4.2 & libMatroska v1.6.3 respectively, which we accidentally broke with last week's releases (the bad ones: libEBML v1.4.3 & libMatroska v1.7.0).

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The macOS binaries & the other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 71.0.0 "Altitude" 2022-10-08
New features and enhancements
  • mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI's multiplexer: added support for the Emphasis audio track header element via the "--audio-emphasis" option. It is also read from Matroska files.
  • mkvmerge: the options "--list-stereo-modes" and "--list-audio-emphasis" have been added to list all support numerical & textual values for the "--stereo-mode" & "--audio-emphasis" options.
  • mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI's header editor: added support for the Emphasis audio track header element via the "emphasis" property.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when the track properties are configured to be displayed in a tab widget below the files & tracks in the "Input" tab, the "Color information" tab will be laid out in two columns. This reduces the minimum height the whole tab widget requires. Implements #3401.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: greatly sped up closing the preferences dialog by only re-running certain initialization functions when their corresponding settings have changed. Also fixes issues such as #3406.
  • mkvinfo, MKVToolNix GUI's info tool: added support for the following new elements from Matroska v5: Emphasis audio track header element; Chapter Skip Type; Edition Display; Edition String; Edition Language IETF.
  • mkvmerge, mkvpropedit: added support for the following new chapter elements from Matroska v5: Chapter Skip Type; Edition Display; Edition String; Edition Language IETF. The GUI's chapter editor will receive support for them in the next release.

Bug fixes
  • mkvmerge: Ogg/OGM reader: mkvmerge will now correctly skip tracks of unsupported types as well as tracks for which all track header pages haven't been found. Fixes #3394.

Build system changes
  • libEBML 1.4.4 & libMatroska 1.7.1 are now required.
  • The bundled libEBML & libMatroska libraries were updated to v1.4.4 & v1.7.1 respectively.
  • The bundled "fmt" library was updated to v9.1.0.
  • The bundled "nlohmann-json" library was updated to v3.11.2.

Have fun 😁

Old 8th October 2022, 17:27   #1746  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Mosu

I see the "matroskachapters.dtd" is not up to date. The new elements are not present.
What are names you will use for the new elements?

Is mkvmerge ready to read this new elements from a chapter.xml file?
hubblec4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2022, 17:32   #1747  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Yikes, totally forgot about that file. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll update it for the next release.

Yes, XML files can already contain the elements. All CLI tools can handle them already. It's just the GUI's chapter editor that isn't up to date yet — I simply didn't want to hold the release up anymore.

The example file "examples/example-chapters-1.xml" also contains all the new elements & shows their names. They are:

Code:
    <EditionDisplay>
      <EditionString>Example movie</EditionString>
      <EditionLanguageIETF>en</EditionLanguageIETF>
    </EditionDisplay>
    <ChapterAtom>
      <ChapterTimeStart>00:00:00.000</ChapterTimeStart>
      <ChapterDisplay>
        <ChapterString>Intro</ChapterString>
        <ChapterLanguage>eng</ChapterLanguage>
      </ChapterDisplay>
      <ChapterSkipType>1</ChapterSkipType>
    </ChapterAtom>

Old 8th October 2022, 17:49   #1748  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Many thanks for this infos.
Old 8th October 2022, 18:20   #1749  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

DTD is updated. I also took the opportunity to fix a couple of issues all the DTDs & ensure that all example XML files actually validate against them.

Old 8th October 2022, 19:16   #1750  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

OK.

Is "EditionManaged" a new name for "EditionFlagOrdered"?

Last edited by hubblec4; 8th October 2022 at 19:19.
Old 8th October 2022, 19:28   #1751  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Uh, no, that's a very, very old name. When you look at the "git blame" output for the file, you might notice that line is from 2004. It's since been renamed to EditionFlagOrdered, but it looks like I never got around to replacing it in the DTD, too. I'll fix it in a moment.

Old 8th October 2022, 19:41   #1752  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

:-)

Mmh maybe a next issue.
"ChapterLanguage" uses a "+" for the occurrence, but this element can be omitted.
Would it be better to use the "*" (Asterisk) sign?
Old 9th October 2022, 06:13   #1753  |  Link
WSC4

I need some information on the old abandoned MKVToolNix thread that dates back to December 2017 please?

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...68#post1828168

It is post #4992 and was posted by forum member manolito, and he posted this link there:

https://files.videohelp.com/u/172211/ToolNix_XP.zip

Error - File has been deleted.

I hope he sees this and can let me know if it can be upload again please?
WSC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2022, 06:26   #1754  |  Link
manolito

The link address has changed after I added Win7 to the supported versions. Use this one:
https://files.videohelp.com/u/172211...ix_XP_Win7.zip

(VideoHelp does not allow posters to edit their older posts after a certain time, so there is no way for me to update this old post)

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 9th October 2022 at 07:14.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2022, 12:33   #1755  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v71.1 released

Heyo.

I've just released a new minor update, v71.1. It solely fixes the "configure" script not having the correct requirements wrt. to libEBML & libMatroska. It also fixes several issues in the XML DTDs, but those aren't actually used in MKVToolNix itself. Functionality wise v71.1 is the same as v71.0. If you aren't a Linux package maintainer, feel free to skip this release.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 71.1.0 "Fortitude" 2022-10-09
Bug fixes
  • Chapters DTD: added the new edition & chapter elements from Matroska v5.
  • Chapters DTD: fixed EditionUID being mandatory. mkvmerge can auto-generate it if it's missing from the XML file.
  • Chapters DTD: fixed the "example-chapters-1.xml" not validating against the DTD.
  • Chapters DTD: corrected the old name "EditionManaged" to "EditionFlagOrdered".
  • Chapters DTD: fixed "ChapLanguageIETF" missing its element declaration & "ChapterLanguage" being required.
  • XML DTDs: fixed elements representing binary data not allowing the "format" attribute.

Build system changes
  • bug fix: configure accidentally tested for libEBML ≥ 2.0.0 & libMatroska ≥ 2.0.0, even though the actual requirements are 1.4.4 & 1.7.1 respectively.

Have fun 😁

Old 9th October 2022, 13:08   #1756  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Mosu

MTX supports now Matroska v5 elements: is this the official start for Matroska v5?
Old 9th October 2022, 15:12   #1757  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

v4 is the one that's currently going through the IETF standardization process. All elements we're adding now will be v5. These elements are the first v5 elements that have been specified. If you want to take that as to be an "official start", feel free, though there really isn't anything more behind this as "not part of the initial IETF standard".

Old 10th October 2022, 01:27   #1758  |  Link
WSC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
The link address has changed after I added Win7 to the supported versions. https://files.videohelp.com/u/172211...ix_XP_Win7.zip
Hi there manolito. Very pleased to see you are back posting again. I was told about your ill health last February in the Optimal encoding with FFmpeg for DVD thread and was very sorry to read about it. Sincerely hope you are fit and well now and have made a full recovery.

I need some information about MKVToolNix for Windows XP and Windows 7 please. Those operating systems have not been supported here for 3 years. Would it be more convenient if I post my question in the "MKVToolnix Windows 7 "The final Countdown" thread than here?
Old 10th October 2022, 04:51   #1759  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSC4 View Post
I need some information about MKVToolNix for Windows XP and Windows 7 please. Those operating systems have not been supported here for 3 years. Would it be more convenient if I post my question in the "MKVToolnix Windows 7 "The final Countdown" thread than here?
Hi WSC4 and thanks for the kind words. In my case there is no way to hope for a full recovery. The brain cells are too specialized to be replaced by new cells once they have died. Nothing you can do about it, I used to be pretty smart for 68 years, and now I will stay pretty dumb for the rest of my life. No reason to become grumpy...

To discuss MKVToolNix for WinXP and Win7 it would be good to move this to the other forum thread you mentioned. I am quite sure that Mosu is not amused to see this discussion in his main thread...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2022, 08:38   #1760  |  Link
WSC4

OK. Shall do. See you over there. https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...96#post1968296

Last edited by WSC4; 10th October 2022 at 08:51.

Tags
matroska