Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > VP9 and AV1

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 13th January 2020, 21:53   #2021  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author
 
Atak_Snajpera's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Poland
Posts: 7,515
Quote:
Those hunders of millions of people don't use their 2G connection to watch Netflix (to begin with)! In fact most of these people care more about an access to drinking water rather than to high speed internet connection. Netflix isn't priority there.
Exactly! People in those countries do not give a f about some streaming services If you have nothing to eat and drink!
Not to even mention about Electricity...

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 13th January 2020 at 21:57.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 22:24   #2022  |  Link
IgorC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,319
@Atak_Snajpera
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
MPEG Surround has been supplanted by MPEG-H...
How does it change the fact that MPEG Surround hasn't seen meaningful adoption?

MPEG Surround is standard since 2007 as MPEG-H is since 2015.

So a period of supplantation took 8 years (?) Ben, really?
IgorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 22:48   #2023  |  Link
soresu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Swansea, Wales, UK
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
MPEG-H is really an Atmos/AC-4 competitor, though; not for low bitrate stereo. I see it growing a lot in living room devices, less in North America than in Asia.
You put Atmos and AC-4 in the same place there.

Is AC-4 the coding scheme for all Atmos? Or is that just for web streams using Atmos?
soresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2020, 01:04   #2024  |  Link
birdie
.
 
birdie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 173
Is this a topic about AV1? I'm not sure I'm at the right forum.

Perhaps some people want to continue here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?board=54.0 ;-)
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2020, 10:17   #2025  |  Link
skal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by utack View Post
There are only two I can think of[LIST][*]despite being technically more advanced you can still lose to a decades old legacy format when your encoder is terrible
Do you have a concrete example? Why is the encoder terrible?

Quote:
[*]it does not matter that your format is worse than the legacy competition,
Sample?

Quote:
Seriously the only area where it might be a tiny bit better is for ultra-high compression where it does not start falling apart as badly as jpeg, for any sane (mid ot high) image quality range the vast array of jpeg encoders are doing a significantly better job of retaining detail
Could be it because you're trying to recompress an already jpeg-encoded source? (aka, spurious resonance). This seems like an overly broad statement, otherwise.

skal/
skal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2020, 17:21   #2026  |  Link
Tadanobu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorC View Post
Those hunders of millions of people don't use their 2G connection to watch Netflix (to begin with)! In fact most of these people care more about an access to drinking water rather than to high speed internet connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Exactly! People in those countries do not give a f about some streaming services If you have nothing to eat and drink!
Not to even mention about Electricity...
Guys, I don't mean to be rude but you really sound like people who do not know much about these countries and these people. I live in Madagascar and I don't quite agree with you.

You will find people in very remote places with no water and no electricity but with phones. Not necessarily smartphones, but with an access to 2G/3G/4G. It's widely used to communicate, send money and other stuff. There are small, cheap solar panels to easily charge these phones. Also, a part of the internet is free. Depending on your ISP, you'll have free access to Facebook, Wikipedia and other sites. Most of the time, there are restrictions like no images or no videos. Believe me, there are many many young people who will just buy some credit/data as soon as they have money. They won't buy food or water because these people don't buy food or water. They grow their own food and fetch water at the well or the river. Pocket money is mostly for entertainment so they will buy cigarettes, candies or whatever.

Anyway, back on topic. In the big cities, you have great connections. I'm working 160km South from the capital city and I have 4G+. But as soon as you leave the biggest area, you end up with 2G and sometimes no network at all. And people love streaming here. Well, they have no TV, no newspaper, no nothing. But they have a phone and an access to internet. Of course they want to see pictures and watch videos. Not Netflix of course, but Facebook is absolutely huge, Youtube is not very important here. The real problem here is the cost of the data. It's damn expensive. Browsing text can be fairly inexpensive. Images are quite expensive. Video is really a rich people thing. Personally, I'm not poor but I disable all images when I browse the internet. And I can't afford more than a few minutes of videos per week. Also, keep in mind that people don't care about quality at all. They don't want better quality for same size, they want same quality at lower bitrate, so they can save data and therefore money. So AV1 will be very very useful. Easier to stream in remote areas, less expensive, allowing better quality... Africa, South-East Asia and other areas are big markets that are growing a lot. Hardware is way behind, but apart from that it's all the same (selfie sticks, filters, nomophobia... you name it). It doesn't concern 100% of the population yet, but for the younger generation it's already a wide majority.
Tadanobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2020, 22:32   #2027  |  Link
benwaggoner
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorC View Post
Those hunders of millions of people don't use their 2G connection to watch Netflix (to begin with)! In fact most of these people care more about an access to drinking water rather than to high speed internet connection. Netflix isn't priority there.
There are absolutely lots of people watching premium video over 2G networks. The experience isn't great, but it can be better than not being able to watch anything.

Quote:
More advanced codecs like HEVC, VP9, AV1, Opus, xHE-AAC won't bring possibility to use services like Netflix or Spotify on 2G or 3G as such limited speeds and, most importantly, traffic cap make these services hardly affordable for people with low incomes in developing countries.
Perhaps not in theory, but it is in practice ! Replacing AAC-LC at 96 Kbps with xHE-AAC at 24 Kbps is a whole extra 64 Kbps to either lower minimum bandwidth requirements or increase video bitrate.

Quote:
Also there is no terrific difference between speed of developed/developing countries https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/
Self selected to people using Netflix. Netflix has substantially higher minimum bitrates compared to some other services, particularly those local to lower-bandwidth regions. That said, people in developed countries still ride in subways or are in rural areas, so being able to ramp down to very low bitrates with a "better than nothing" experience on mobile devices is valuable worldwide.

AV1 proponents should hope this is a viable market, because it's probably where AV1 would have the biggest differential advantage over H.264 and a market where rapid turnover and Android-centric mobile markets could result in >50% HW decoder installed base by 2025.
__________________
Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Specialist, Amazon Prime Video

My Compression Book
benwaggoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 03:52   #2028  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64
Registered User
 
Nintendo Maniac 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
LG announced that their new 8K TVs will support AV1.


As far as I know these are the first TVs with AV1 hardware decoding. I wonder if they will also support Opus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
These TVs will feature quite powerful SoCs and Opus is a very low complexity codec, so I see no reason not to support it.

Besides, YouTube started using it years ago along with VP9 and each device which supports YT must support Opus by default.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soresu View Post
I think he may have meant ASIC support?

As you say it's low complexity so it wouldn't require an ASIC to run it in a wall powered device like a high end 4K TV, but anything that reduces thermal output is welcome, it's annoying hearing a fan coming from a TV.


I'm a bit late on this, but I was able to confirm from a family friend with an E9 TV that the 2019 LG OLEDs already support VP9+Opus WebM files played from a USB HDD.


And decoding complexity isn't always the reason for lacking format support because I was also able to confirm that, while the 2019 E9 OLED also supports VP8 + vorbis in a WebM as well as VP9 + AAC in an MKV, it does not support VP8 + AAC in an MKV.


Here's the full list of tested formats and combinations that I was able to confirm that worked (all video codecs are 8bit unless otherwise noted):
  • AVI: Xvid + MP3
  • AVI: AVC + MP3
  • MKV: HEVC + AAC
  • MKV: VP9 + AAC
  • MP4: AVC + AAC
  • MP4: Xvid + AAC
  • MP4: Xvid + MP3
  • WebM: VP8 + Vorbis
  • WebM: VP9 + Opus
  • WebM: VP9 + Vorbis

And the things that didn't work (all video codecs are 8bit unless otherwise noted):
  • MKV: VP8 + AAC
  • MKV: AVC 10bit + FLAC
  • MP4: AV1 (video only)
  • WebM: AV1 + Opus

Unfortunately I didn't provide a test file that combined AVC 10bit and FLAC with other known-working codecs, like AVC 8bit + FLAC as well as AVC 10bit + AAC, so it's uncertain whether it's the AVC 10bit or the FLAC that the TV is unable to play back (though this logic doesn't apply to the MKV with VP8 + AAC as it's able to support all 3 things in other combinations, just not together).




EDIT: I've since confirmed that FLAC audio is in fact supported (at least up to 192KHz 24bit, same goes for LPCM as 32float LPCM failed to work) and, as expected, it's the 10bit AVC (not a typo) that is completely unsupported on LG's 2019 OLEDs.


...though more surprising to me was that it not only supported multi-audio MKVs/MP4s with an according GUI-based audio track switcher, but even supported freaking SubStation Alpha subtitles in an MKV also with an according GUI-based toggle.
__________________
____HTPC____  | __Desktop PC__
2.93GHz Xeon x3470 (4c/8t Nehalem) | 4.6GHz Pentium G3258 (2c/2t Haswell)
Radeon HD5870  | Intel iGPU      
2x2GB+2x1GB DDR3-1333 | 4x4GB DDR3-1600       

Win7 x64

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64; 23rd February 2020 at 09:52.
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 23:52   #2029  |  Link
benwaggoner
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
Unfortunately I didn't provide a test file that combined AVC 10bit and FLAC with other known-working codecs, like AVC 8bit + FLAC as well as AVC 10bit + AAC, so it's uncertain whether it's the AVC 10bit or the FLAC that the TV is unable to play back (though this logic doesn't apply to the MKV with VP8 + AAC as it's able to support all 3 things in other combinations, just not together).
That's the thing about consumer electronics devices. The only way to really know if something works is to actually try it. Something can support all the individual components, but not in particular combinations. Something may work via streaming or an app but not as a file in the native player. Everything might work most of the time except if some esoteric parameter exceeds some internal limit even though it is permitted by the spec.

Something that works on a thing is easy. Something interesting that works on EVERYTHING is a nail-biting adventure.
__________________
Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Specialist, Amazon Prime Video

My Compression Book
benwaggoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2020, 10:12   #2030  |  Link
hajj_3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,006
new rav1e build is out: https://github.com/xiph/rav1e/releases/tag/p20200115

Last edited by hajj_3; 17th January 2020 at 10:15.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:27   #2031  |  Link
nakTT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
Hi, do we have GUI for this encoder? Something like MeGUI or anything? Thank you in advance.
nakTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:48   #2032  |  Link
paul97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 12
https://moisescardona.me/rav1e-gui/
https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Download rav1e gui.
Download the static ffmpeg with the date. (exe)
Copy the ffmpeg in rav1e gui folder that you extracted (with 7-zip or winrar).
Disable pipes (right at the centre that is a checkbox). If it causes problems.
It still could have different aspect ratio and different framerate not PAL (.vob file) 23.9976
It supports anything with ffmpeg, and ffmpeg converts to yuv. Pipes are to not generate .yuv file.
For a GUI there is also Hybrid GUI (with aomenc - svt appveyor you can download) and Svt GUI, the last by Moises (same developer as rav1e gui).
paul97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:22   #2033  |  Link
nakTT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul97 View Post
https://moisescardona.me/rav1e-gui/
https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Download rav1e gui.
Download the static ffmpeg with the date. (exe)
Copy the ffmpeg in rav1e gui folder that you extracted (with 7-zip or winrar).
Disable pipes (right at the centre that is a checkbox). If it causes problems.
It still could have different aspect ratio and different framerate not PAL (.vob file) 23.9976
It supports anything with ffmpeg, and ffmpeg converts to yuv. Pipes are to not generate .yuv file.
For a GUI there is also Hybrid GUI (with aomenc - svt appveyor you can download) and Svt GUI, the last by Moises (same developer as rav1e gui).
Thank you so much for the reply.

How do I check that I get the latest AV1 encoder?

Thank you in advance.
nakTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:32   #2034  |  Link
paul97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 12
https://www.reddit.com/r/AV1/comment...est_av1_build/
I asked the question on Reddit some months ago. Here it is.
paul97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:38   #2035  |  Link
nakTT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul97 View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/AV1/comment...est_av1_build/
I asked the question on Reddit some months ago. Here it is.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm starting the encoding process now.

Thanks again.
nakTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:39   #2036  |  Link
paul97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 12
You're welcome.
Rav1e has still 80% 120% 340% difference in quality/bitrate in videos on arewecompressed.yet AWCY. A site that codec developers use to test. SVT is too far from libaom as encoder if you see Mrsmilingwolf's user test on Reddit or on Doom9 like comparable to VP9 a bit not better. I don't know if he tests with anime or like action.

Also FFmpeg has included a build of encoders (Libaom) which you check the readme file in the archive (.zip) or in lower section "Other Downloads" by clicking Readme to see which version it is. Handbrake GUI doesn't support the encoding because it's too slow and AV1 support it's only in beta.
But it supports dav1d (Videolan) decoding, only 8bit is completed on general SIMD, 10 bit lacks support, so it runs without SIMD instructions.
If you use a GUI like Hybrid other than ffmpeg, to encode with libaom you will need aomenc.exe.
Artificial noise isn't possible with a GUI, you need ffmpeg and use libaom.

Last edited by paul97; 22nd January 2020 at 21:53.
paul97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 00:47   #2037  |  Link
benwaggoner
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul97 View Post
You're welcome.
Rav1e has still 80% 120% 340% difference in quality/bitrate in videos on arewecompressed.yet AWCY. A site that codec developers use to test.
What do those percentages mean specifically?

Quote:
SVT is too far from libaom as encoder if you see Mrsmilingwolf's user test on Reddit or on Doom9 like comparable to VP9 a bit not better. I don't know if he tests with anime or like action.
Given the configurability of SVT-AV1 in terms of quality/perf and tuning, it's hard to know what to make of encoder versus encoder comparisons. There are literally dozens of values that could impact quality. It would be more useful to compare quality at known best parameters, or quality at same bitrate and encoding time on a given system config.

It seems that there should be scenarios and highly multicore systems where SVT-AV1 would beat libaom in quality @ bitrate @ perf, just because it would have so many more MIPS/pixel available.
__________________
Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Specialist, Amazon Prime Video

My Compression Book
benwaggoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 04:15   #2038  |  Link
user1085
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakTT View Post
Thank you so much for the reply.



How do I check that I get the latest AV1 encoder?



Thank you in advance.
https://www.singhkays.com/blog/docke...ffmpeg-libaom/

I compile a docker image with the latest libaom source + ffmpeg every weekend
user1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2020, 21:10   #2039  |  Link
soresu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Swansea, Wales, UK
Posts: 183
Optimisation for dav1d happening for 16 bpc on ARM64 apparently - whether that means everything between 16 and 8 I don't know.

Apparently Netflix are pushing out AV1 now too (possibly even sponsoring the new optimisation efforts?).

Are we finally at the point where AV1 deserves its own sub forum?
soresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2020, 00:07   #2040  |  Link
hajj_3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,006
https://netflixtechblog.com/netflix-...d-d5264a515202
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.