Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th August 2017, 15:22   #44841  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Single display here (HDMI @ 4K)

K
Are you using a laptop?

QB
Old 19th August 2017, 15:27   #44842  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Are you using a laptop?

QB
No, dedicated HTPC (Quad 4.2ghz, 16gb ram with a 1080 Strix) and a Samsung 4k display.

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 15:34   #44843  |  Link
jmonier

More info: It crashes consistently when the single monitor is 1920x1080 via HDMI. It does NOT crash when the single monitor is 1600x1200 via VGA.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 15:40   #44844  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Okay.... How about Custom Resolutions? Any of you guys and gals have those setup? FSE? D3D11 presentation? OS? AMD or NVidia? We're going to need to help madshi reproduce this, and not enough info is being supplied by most of us.

QB
Old 19th August 2017, 16:10   #44845  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
More info: It crashes consistently when the single monitor is 1920x1080 via HDMI. It does NOT crash when the single monitor is 1600x1200 via VGA.
This is exactly my set up (1080). Thanks
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 17:11   #44846  |  Link
aufkrawall

Does anyone know a good way to watch YouTube videos with madVR without downloading them first and with working seeking?
MPC BC and 3DYD YouTube Source don't work well enough for high bitrate video.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 17:16   #44847  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Okay.... How about Custom Resolutions? Any of you guys and gals have those setup? FSE? D3D11 presentation? OS? AMD or NVidia? We're going to need to help madshi reproduce this, and not enough info is being supplied by most of us.

QB
D3D11 FSE 8 bit, Windows 10 x64 current build, AMD R7 250 GPU.
I have implemented 5 custom resolutions for my TFT monitor and 5 custom resolutions for my projector according to common video frame rates and the valid refresh rate range for each device.
TFT: 50.000Hz, 59.940Hz, 60.000Hz, 71.928Hz, 72.000Hz
Projector: 47.952 Hz, 48.000 Hz, 50.000 Hz, 59.940 Hz, 60.000 Hz

Everything is working perfectly.
There were no problems to create the custom resolutions through madVR and no problems to optimize them.
My devices are very relaxed towards custom resolutions, so they "eat" nearly everything suggested by madVR´s optimization dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Does anyone know a good way to watch YouTube videos with madVR without downloading them first and with working seeking?
Maybe Kodi DSPlayer with a YouTube addon...

Last edited by hannes69; 19th August 2017 at 17:19.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 17:22   #44848  |  Link
el Filou

Interesting information on the crashes that happen when stopping playback. On my system, it:

- never happens with MPC-HC (latest release version, configured to use external LAV Filters)
- happens with MediaPortal only when using LAV Splitter. I noticed that because playing .TS files didn't bring a crash, and MP always plays those files with its own source/splitter filter. When enabling an option to play TS files with 3rd-party system splitters, which uses LAV Splitter, TS files also crash when stopping playback.

Edit: I'm using latest LAV nightly (-40)

@madshi: would it be possible to add a "save bug report" option to madVR with instructions on how to send it manually? I don't have an email program installed on the HTPC (I remove everything that is not needed for media playback), and it gives an error when I click Finish to send the bug report. I'd like to send it using Gmail's web interface.

Last edited by el Filou; 19th August 2017 at 17:38.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 17:27   #44849  |  Link
imhh11

Quote:
Hi, it's working fine using MPC-BE/MADVR on my end.

It even works with HDR videos. HDR is triggered on my TV and PJ.
Seeking works too.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...be-hdr-pc.html

Last edited by imhh11; 19th August 2017 at 17:29.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 17:48   #44850  |  Link
aufkrawall

I know that it supports that stuff, but that doesn't help me in any way.
Buffer/queue runs empty for 4k 60fps, which makes it totally useless for me.

Just gave Kodi a try with YT plugin, can only select 1080p 30fps as maximum resolution.
And I don't like that HTPC control concept for my PC (honestly, I don't like Kodi at all).

Last edited by aufkrawall; 19th August 2017 at 17:54.
Old 19th August 2017, 18:33   #44851  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I use PotPlayer and open the "share" URL from YouTube... I can even add the URL to a playlist... I do this weekly for Bill Maher's Overtime

QB
Old 19th August 2017, 20:01   #44852  |  Link
aufkrawall

Ty, but it also fails with 4k 60fps.
Old 19th August 2017, 20:09   #44853  |  Link
mitchmalibu

@madshi

Further informations :
  • The custom mode for 2160p23 is listed in the nvidia control panel as "3840 * 2160 @ 24Hz".
  • The only way to use this custom mode is to call it through the nvidia control panel (I have to check the checkbox in front of it to make it selectable). Using the standard Windows control panel or any third party tool (like display changer) just calls the standard modes.
  • Using 2160p24 in madvr available modes won't call the custom mode either (it just uses the standard 24Hz mode, not the optimized 23.XXX one).

Surprised I'm the only one reporting that kind of issue
Media setup: MPC-BE x64, madvr, lav filters (nightly)

Last edited by mitchmalibu; 19th August 2017 at 20:12.
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 20:11   #44854  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
SVPtube+mpv?
Old 19th August 2017, 20:18   #44855  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Oh, really? Can you link the driver you used?
I don't actually know, haven't touched it in ages, probably rather old. I don't think the version matters much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
So I created a pretty much perfect 23.976 mode using the new madVR custom tool which is awesome but this new mode is shown as 24Hz in the nvidia control panel and the original 24Hz mode is gone.
Does it list correctly in madVR's "display modes" tab? And does the OS still list 23 and 24?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
Also when using the new D3D11 Decoder it often crashes when moving the MPC-HC window to the TV, which is my secondary screen.
Need a crash report text file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
chroma upscaling thing recommended to have a good video?
Huh? Not sure what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
What version madVR can I use with my graphics card?
Always the newest, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
So I tried to let the video run longer, and that did the trick. As you said you had only let it run for 10mn for your own tests, I did the same and that's when it didn't record anything. I let it run for more than 30mn, and the data was available. Is there a hard-coded threshold before which MadVR doesn't consider the data? I might have stopped just short of 10mn in my earlier test.
The hard-coded threshold is exactly 10 minutes. Furthermore, it starts measuring only after 5 seconds or so. So you need to let it run for at least 10 minutes 10 seconds or so.

Quote:
Unfortunately, none of the custom timings worked. All of the ones with a different pixel clock failed (no HDMI sync at all / no signal detected by the PJ). Out of the two with the same pixel clock, one failed (same as above) and one half worked, in that the PJ detected a signal and displayed it, but the colors of the desktop were altered and my mouse pointed was not displaying properly, so clearly not usable.
That's quite surprising! Both my LCD computer monitor and my Sony 4K TV accept virtually anything I throw at them. And at some point I did a very quick test with my X35 and changing some timing parameter manually worked just fine, too. Maybe I need to improve my "compatability rating" somehow, I'm not sure. Or could it be possible that your AVR doesn't like custom modes? Could you try without the AVR, just as a test?

Quote:
Small request: please could you slightly extend the timout delay when testing a mode? Some displays (like my JVC) can take up to 15=20 seconds, sometimes more to sync. So extending the delay to 30 secs before it reverts to the current mode would be great.
Ok.

Quote:
Also I have the same issue as j82k, the custom res I tested is 23p but it replaces the 24p res in the nVidia control panel. It would be great if it replaced the 23p one and left the 24p intact.
There's only 2 options: Either I call the Nvidia APIs correctly or incorrectly. If I call the APIs correctly, then anything that goes wrong is the Nvidia driver's fault, and there will be nothing I can do about it. If I call the APIs incorrectly, then of course it's my bug can I can fix it. So the key question is if I've done something wrong or not.

Does the "custom modes" tab list the modes incorrectly, too, after you've created a custom timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Yeah, but can I not create a custom mode to replace using smooth motion? Maybe I'm not understanding something. No, my display won't do 23 hz. Is 72 hz preferable to 59.940 hz for 23.976 movies?
Smooth motion is for users whose TV can't do 23.976 (or 2 * 23.976 or 3 * 23.976). If your TV can do 3 * 23.976 = 71.928, then that's just fine and you don't need smooth motion, anymore! However, please also test if 71.928 actually runs smoothly, because the TV might accept 71.928 but internally convert it back to 60Hz.

Smooth motion off is always better than on, but only if your TV can (properly!) do 23.976, or an even multiply of it. 59.940Hz sucks for 23.976 content, because 59.940Hz is not an even multiply (59.940 / 23.976 = 2.5). So if you can only do 59.940, then you need smooth motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Im trying the latest version but the custom modes tab does not show. well I see it for a moment and then it disapeers. I have confirmed the display is active and listed in the PC's control panel. I'm on windows 7 with nvidia 980.
There are 2 known issues where this happens: 1) Either if you have an AVR in between your HTPC and your display. Or 2) If you have profiles which include the "display modes" tab. Of course I'll try to fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Madshi, why when using Exclusive the performance of Render Queue and Present Queue are cut to half from 8 it's 3 and 1 . on Windowed mode it's fine . Rendering time doesn't change and stays 10-15ms . it's a 24Fps movie 1080p MKV .

EDIT : Found the issue : This is only happens when using the 24" hack to 60. without it enabled everything is fine in exclusive.. what could be the issue ?
It's a known driver issue. You can try to work around it by lowering the number of pre-presented frames in the madVR settings. There's nothing I can do about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
For testing Full SBS HEVC 10 bit video: [...]
Thanks, downloaded and added to samples folder for future use.

Quote:
Fixed the nVidia 3D Vision issue, so although it's not MadVR related I thought I'd share the solution to save you (and others) some time.

At first I tried to run the wizard in Windows 8 compatibility mode, but although it allowed to go further, it was still crashing. So I did some registry exploration and a bit of internet research. Here is the digest:

All the 3D Vision related keys are in =[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D] for x64 machines, and [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D] for x86 machines.

There are two registry keys that need to be set to make it possible to enable 3D vision without going through the wizard:

StereoVisionConfirmed
and
StereoViewerType

Both need to be set to 1.

For the nVidia control panel, this means that 3D is set-up and that the wizard doesn't need to be run.

Unfortunately, there are no registry keys to enable the 3D Stereoscopic Vision option itself in the panel, so you need to run the nVidia nvstlink.exe utility in \Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision (that's where I found it even on my x64 machine).

nvstlink.exe /enable will enable 3D in the control panel
nvstlink.exe /disable will disable 3D in the control panel

This switch doesn't work if the above registry keys haven't been changed to 1 first, at least here.

I don't know if this will stick but there is a batch file here https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...x-3d-settings/ that can be called to do all this (and more) automatically.
Good find, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
The custom resolution is a good feature, but imho if you want to cover more frame rates etc. 23.976, 24, 25 you need a multiple of 24 and reclock, otherwise you have to test a lot for each refresh rate and fps...
Testing only needs to be done once for each frame rate. It's not *such* a big deal, IMHO. Of course you can always use 60Hz and enable smooth motion, if you're too lazy to create custom resolutions for all needed frame rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
Good news, managed to create a custom res for 50p.

Unfortunately, the mode I use 99% of the time, 59p refuses to cooperate.
I just get the "the gpu driver rejected the mode for unknown reasons" when trying the EDID mode, the CVT v1 and CVT v2.
I have a LG B6 OLED 4K TV. Prior to starting this adventure I uninstalled the old GPU driver by using DDU, then installed the latest Geforce 385.28 driver for my GTX 1060.
Unfortunately that's an issue with the current Nvidia drivers. I've reported it, and hope to get it fixed soon. But it's out of my hands, so I can't promise anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgh View Post
since you have several times advertised to use Win81 instead of Win10, I have given it a shot…

the problem obviously are the graphics drivers; Intel & MS decided to support KBL graphics only in Win10 (in my case HD620)…

[...]

It works up to the point where I get the same problems with “jumping” frames (both, in 2D and 3D) which was already addressed some month ago for Win10 (…an Intel driver issue). You were able to fix it for Win10.
The fix I made was not specific to win10, it should work on all OSs. So there's not really much I can do about this right now. It's definitely a driver issue, but my fix is supposed to help, at least it did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Thanks a lot to madshi and nevcairiel, DX11VA is awesome!
Now I can watch 4K without any dropped frames when with DXVA2CB it was just a slideshow.
Additionally, it shaves 2-3 ms off the rendering time while at the same time making the graphics card consume 5-10W less Vs. DXVA2N, which is nice considering the boost in chroma quality.
Quote:
D3D11VA and new HDR default setting work like a charm here for SDR output, both performance and visuals are great. Very impressive, thanks.

Quote:
Something strange I've noticed: I'm using ReClock, and it seems like madVR in DX11VA mode makes it behave differently: it detects a different system clock, it (finally) sees the display as 23/59 Hz instead of 24/60 previously (but it always detected the actual refresh rate correctly), and - last but not least - madVR now reports it expects one frame drop every 1 day instead of every 2.2 hours with DXVA2.
Can anyone explain this?
I'll also ask in the ReClock forum.
I've no idea, I haven't used ReClock for many years now.

Quote:
I also am seeing the 'custom modes' tab appear for a very short moment and then disappear from the GUI. I'm using a Panasonic plasma in RGB Full 8-bit on HDMI through a Denon AVR, and they are setup as such in madVR.
Known problem, to be fixed soon.

Quote:
I also am seeing crashes with NNEDI set as chroma upscaler. Do you still need more crash reports for this?
Yes. Not sure why anybody still uses NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling, though. I'd suggest NGU-AA "low" quality instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv View Post
Seems that custom mode tab disappears once a Profile is created.
Good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu View Post
Ok, I had some time to tinker around and here are my findings (I did a reset of madvr settings on a clean driver install with madvr custom mode enabled and optimized for 2160p23).

- D3D version isn't a factor in this issue, it happens the same way regardless of which version I'm choosing.
- Non fullscreen windowed behaves the same as fullscreen windowed .

However I did find something interesting regarding display modes. Here are the step to reproduce it on my setup :
- Windows is set @2160p60
- madvr is set up with the following options
  • support for automatic mode switching and revert to original mode on exit.
  • 2160p23 mode is listed in madvr as an acceptable mode
  • FSE isn't enabled
- Open a 23.976 fps video file
- madvr switches to 2160p23 (it is shown as being the active mode in the custom modes tab)
- stats after things settled down (stats NOT coherent with the optimizations previously made with the custom modes feature) :
  • refresh rate : 23.97971hz
  • clock deviation : -0.00035%
  • Frame repeat every 4.4min
- while the movie is still playing, go into madvr settings and enable FSE
- there is a visible display mode change occuring.
- stats after things settled down (stats coherent with the optimizations previously made with the custom modes feature) :
  • refresh rate : 23.9569hz
  • clock deviation : -0.00035%
  • Frame drop every 1.1hr
- while the movie is still playing go into madvr settings and disable FSE
- stats after things settled down are identical to these obtained after enabling FSE, 2160p23 is still shown as being the active mode in the custom modes tab.
- Exit the media player, the display mode goes back to 2160p60
- Open the movie again, back to the 2160p23 unoptimized mode.

Side note : if I disable the revert to original mode on exit option and while I do not switch display mode while in 2160p23 optimized, I can reopen another 23p file and play it without a hitch.

So it seems I do have 2 competings 2160p23 modes on my setup : an unoptimized one that is called by the madvr switcher or the windows settings (I tried launching the file while being already in 2160p23, no difference), and the optimized one produced by madvr which is called upon entering FSE.
So it seems the custom mode is only effective in FSE mode? Or is it the other way round, and the custom mode is only effective in windowed mode? Are you 100% sure which is which?

Quote:
Regarding the 23.700Hz test, how would I go about trying this refresh rate ? Using the custom modes feature ?
Yes, click on the custom mode, then on "edit", then change the pixel clock so you get a significantly different refresh rate (but still one your monitor/TV accepts). If you e.g. use 23.700Hz, then you can say for 100% sure if the custom mode is active either in windowed mode or FSE mode or both.

Quote:
: would it be possible to add a "save bug report" option to madVR with instructions on how to send it manually? I don't have an email program installed on the HTPC (I remove everything that is not needed for media playback), and it gives an error when I click Finish to send the bug report. I'd like to send it using Gmail's web interface.
I suppose I can add a "save bug report" button.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 20:21   #44856  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Further informations :
  • The custom mode for 2160p23 is listed in the nvidia control panel as "3840 * 2160 @ 24Hz".
  • The only way to use this custom mode is to call it through the nvidia control panel (I have to check the checkbox in front of it to make it selectable). Using the standard Windows control panel or any third party tool (like display changer) just calls the standard modes.
  • Using 2160p24 in madvr available modes won't call the custom mode either (it just uses the standard 24Hz mode, not the optimized 23.XXX one).

Surprised I'm the only one reporting that kind of issue
I'm currently not able to create *any* custom modes for standard refresh rates with my Nvidia driver. So I can't reproduce it here.

Your explanations leave me a bit confused. Can you make screenshots of the "display modes" tab, and tell me which refresh rates the OS offers you to switch to? And maybe also make a screenshot of the Nvidia control panel? Then maybe I understand better what happens.

And how does this new post of yours match together with your old? They somehow seem to contradict each other, because the old post seems to say that the custom mode is effective in FSE mode but not in windowed mode, but the new post seems to suggest that the custom mode is only effective if you activate it through the Nvidia control panel.
Old 19th August 2017, 20:22   #44857  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Those of you who have crash problems with v0.92.1, can you please try this test build?

http://madshi.net/madVR0921b.rar

Does this fix the issue for you?
Old 19th August 2017, 20:38   #44858  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does this fix the issue for you?
No crash for me with this one (I had crashes with v0.92.1).

Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 20:38   #44859  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Testing only needs to be done once for each frame rate. It's not *such* a big deal, IMHO. Of course you can always use 60Hz and enable smooth motion, if you're too lazy to create custom resolutions for all needed frame rates.
I'm not lazy at all, I was just writing my opinion, on a side note, does madvr has to be completely closed for the "optimize" function? Cause when I tested it, it doesn't gave me good results at all, it was open in the taskbar, also it doesn't recognize my added refresh rate with cru 1.3. Only when I untick "show native res modes, only" it is showed.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 21:03   #44860  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I'm currently not able to create *any* custom modes for standard refresh rates with my Nvidia driver. So I can't reproduce it here.

Your explanations leave me a bit confused. Can you make screenshots of the "display modes" tab, and tell me which refresh rates the OS offers you to switch to? And maybe also make a screenshot of the Nvidia control panel? Then maybe I understand better what happens.
The custom modes work well for me with Nvidia's current driver (385.28). madVR has to switch to it once using display modes, entered there as 2160p23, before it shows up but after that it is in Nvidia's control panel, albeit as a custom 24Hz mode.

Sorry for the large image:

No issues for me, the name of the custom mode is slightly odd but it all works as expected.

If I change the back porch at all, even with "test mode", this TV will turn off the input and not turn it on again until I unplug it and plug it back in.

Edit: Here is how it looks in Nvidia's custom resolution tool:

Last edited by Asmodian; 19th August 2017 at 21:07.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling