Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th September 2018, 04:47   #52841  |  Link
Chouonsoku

madshi, 0.92.17 completely resolved the red tint / black crush issues I mentioned before with the old "process HDR via pixel shader math" option. The new menu correctly triggers the HDR mode on my LG C7 and tonemaps with your algorothm instead of the TV's dumb mode. Watching Pacific Rim at 700 nits with "are you nuts!?" highlight recovery and the dream has finally been realized.

Chouonsoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 05:20   #52842  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps006 View Post
I don't think the driver size matters as long as it works as expected, and it does work well on Windows 8.1. Just think why Madshi keeps recommending 8.1 for HTPC, that is for a reason. You can see most users here and other forums are having issues with Windows 10.Anyway, all I can say is 8.1 resolved all the issues that I was having on windows 10.
I think that W10 undisclosed certain stuff which Madshi unable to optimize & just like NVIDIA unable to fix certain issues which related to the OS itself.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 06:31   #52843  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
* fixed: render & present queues didn't always fill in Windows 10 build 1803
Madshi, what was the problem here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouonsoku View Post
madshi, 0.92.17 completely resolved the red tint / black crush issues
So a madVR bug then? With all the upgrades that happen, settings files can cause all sorts of problems over time.

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th September 2018 at 06:33.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 07:13   #52844  |  Link
alps006

You are most probably right. But my second HTPC is running Windows 10 with AMD RX-460 without any issues.Go figure! My guess is that it's indeed nvidia driver bugs rather than the OS itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmein View Post
I think that W10 undisclosed certain stuff which Madshi unable to optimize & just like NVIDIA unable to fix certain issues which related to the OS itself.
alps006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 07:26   #52845  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps006 View Post
You are most probably right. But my second HTPC is running Windows 10 with AMD RX-460 without any issues.Go figure! My guess is that it's indeed nvidia driver bugs rather than the OS itself.
AMD no issue? This is really bull-shit. AMD is a piece of junk.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 09:14   #52846  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
madVR v0.92.17 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* modified/simplified HDR tone mapping settings page
* small HDR tone mapping saturation improvement
* OSD now also shows the measured luminance of the current frame (in addition to the average)
* fixed: render & present queues didn't always fill in Windows 10 build 1803
* fixed: using XySubFilter sometimes resulted in black screen / freeze
* fixed: using HDR "processing" resulted in dark and red-ish image
* fixed: using BT.601/709 gamma curve with HDR tone mapping produced gray-ish image
* fixed: settings dialog sometimes crashed on display mode / custom mode tab
The HDR settings dialog changes *could* maybe introduce some new bugs, but I hope not. I've modified the HDR settings to make it less confusing. I don't want users to think that they somehow lose HDR by doing tone mapping.
And where can I find the HDR to SDR conversion settings now?
Old 30th September 2018, 09:25   #52847  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 10:10   #52848  |  Link
creativeopinion

@madshi

Same here, so red tint / black crush issues are resolved.

The only thing that is confusing for me is that now using lower nits gets the picture to become darker and setting more nits means I will get the brighter picture. Now correct me If I'm wrong but wasn't this the other way around in the previous builds? Anyway, 700 seems way to bright so I think I will settle for 600 but I'm glad I can finally set more than 100.

Also, it seems the TV is not doing any additional tone mapping even though it switches to its HDR mode but this might not be true, I don't know. Just trying to trust what I see but the picture looks fine and I will no longer use passthrough. I'm pretty sure madVR can do the better job.

Thank you madshi!

Last edited by creativeopinion; 30th September 2018 at 11:39.
creativeopinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 12:24   #52849  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
And where can I find the HDR to SDR conversion settings now?
You didn't need to quote his release post, people really need to stop doing this. Also you quoted the part that's applicable to your answer.

Quote:
I don't want users to think that they somehow lose HDR by doing tone mapping.
It's renamed to 'tone map HDR using pixel shaders' click on that and voila.. Options.
Not a hard program to find your way around ya know.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 12:45   #52850  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
The new build uses substantially less CPU for me. I also noticed previously that the problem got worse if any CPU-intensive background processes were active. So I suspect that Windows 10 r1803 created some sort of (single threaded) CPU bottleneck.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 12:48   #52851  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
don't this so
Mediaportal - Mpc-hc
MADVR-D3D11/10bit
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 13:04   #52852  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
madshi, 0.92.17 completely resolved the red tint / black crush issues I mentioned before with the old "process HDR via pixel shader math" option. The new menu correctly triggers the HDR mode on my LG C7 and tonemaps with your algorothm instead of the TV's dumb mode. Watching Pacific Rim at 700 nits with "are you nuts!?" highlight recovery and the dream has finally been realized.

I hadn't tested this on my new C7, however I assumed that this TV always tone-mapped when in HDR mode. Is this with or without 'output video in hdr format' ticked? How do you know the TV isn't still tone-mapping? I assume 'active hdr' (dynamic contrast on 'low') is off on the TV?

Last edited by iSeries; 30th September 2018 at 13:53.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 13:08   #52853  |  Link
jandari

Can confirm HDR passthrouh doesnt work with nVidia 4xx.xx drivers on my 1070ti.
Maybe this has something to do with it

This driver release supports the Vulkan VK_EXT_swapchain_colorspace and VK_EXT_hdr_metadata extensions allowing applications to output HDR content to HDR displays via the Vulkan APIs.
jandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 13:20   #52854  |  Link
sat4all

@madshi
Toggling hdr tab in madtpg doesn't switch my display to hdr mode, I'm not sure if this was introduced by .16 or .17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandari View Post
Maybe this has something to do with it

This driver release supports the Vulkan VK_EXT_swapchain_colorspace and VK_EXT_hdr_metadata extensions allowing applications to output HDR content to HDR displays via the Vulkan APIs.
HDR passthrough work fine here with my gtx1060 using 4xx.xx drivers
Old 30th September 2018, 14:22   #52855  |  Link
jandari

Tested again, doest't work.

Tried HDR switch in Windows, it works.

Switching back to 3.99 for now.
jandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 15:13   #52856  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeopinion View Post
@madshi

The only thing that is confusing for me is that now using lower nits gets the picture to become darker and setting more nits means I will get the brighter picture. Now correct me If I'm wrong but wasn't this the other way around in the previous builds? Anyway, 700 seems way to bright so I think I will settle for 600 but I'm glad I can finally set more than 100.

Thank you madshi!
If you are outputting in HDR, higher PQ values will make the image brighter and lower numbers will make the image darker. They are absolute luminance values and not relative like HDR -> SDR. The target peak nits specifies the brightest pixel to be shown by the display.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 15:16   #52857  |  Link
mclingo

all looking good here, just upgraded to AMD 18.9.3, LAV 70.2.15 and MADVR v0.92.17 - so far everything seems to be working well, HDR switch, 3D switch, 23hz playback, colour sat problem also still fixed. havent tested to see if there has been any progress with refresh rate switching bug with MADVR and AMD cards coming out of 3D MVC back to a 4k desktop yet but its good to see all the basics working very well.

EDIT, thats a shame, the black screen bug is still there closing a 3D movie and coming back to a 4k desktop with MADVR refresh rate switching, this is my last bug, i have an otherwise fully stable no workaround system now the cololur SAT issue is fixed.

any chance at all you could revisit this MADSHI, I know you say its a driver bug but it really does only affect MADVR refresh rate switching, doesnt do it on MPC-BE, KODI DS, MPC-HC, tested all those recently and have tested ZOOM and KM in the past as well.

Last edited by mclingo; 30th September 2018 at 15:30.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 15:21   #52858  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Is it possible to bring up the madVR Settings GUI from a command line?
Yes, you can use "madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettingsDontWait".

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanm View Post
Unfortunatedly,Running the highlights recovery algorithm will consume pc resources tremendously so that the playback of HDR movies gets stammering and stuttering very much.I'm expecting the algorithm will improve dramatically soon later.
Nope, there's no improvement planned. I've already optimized it as much as I could, using DirectCompute. If your GPU is too slow to run the highlight recovery algo, you either need to reduce other quality settings (e.g. chroma upscaling quality), or you need a faster GPU.

Quote:
Glad to hear that! Have you had a chance to compare quality with my madVR's tone mapping vs passthrough?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
The new build uses substantially less CPU for me. I also noticed previously that the problem got worse if any CPU-intensive background processes were active. So I suspect that Windows 10 r1803 created some sort of (single threaded) CPU bottleneck.
A simple OS API, which was very fast and lightweight before, suddenly consumed lots of CPU in the latest Windows 10 build and took ages to execute. I've called this API a lot, so this slowed down everything. So in v0.92.17 I'm now internally "caching" this API call to solve the issue.

Quote:
So a madVR bug then? With all the upgrades that happen, settings files can cause all sorts of problems over time.
Yes, the previous "process HDR content" feature was broken since v0.92.15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeopinion View Post

Well, it's a very complicated thing, because madVR can either send the video relative gamma encoded, or absolute PQ encoded. It all depends on how the TV interprets either data. It's hard to predict what will happen exactly. So you can only try what happens and what looks good, and what does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
Toggling hdr tab in madtpg doesn't switch my display to hdr mode, I'm not sure if this was introduced by .16 or .17
Are you sure this was introduced by a new madVR build? Maybe it was a driver or OS update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandari View Post
I can confirm that HDR passthrough with Nvidia's custom API doesn't work properly for me on the latest Windows 10 build with 411.70. I'll notify my Nvidia contact about this.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 16:56   #52859  |  Link
sat4all

Quote:
Are you sure this was introduced by a new madVR build? Maybe it was a driver or OS update?
Hmm, i'm not sure but hdr passthrough playback is working fine so it's only about madtpg. Anyway i will revisit after finishing a long calibration session
Old 30th September 2018, 17:25   #52860  |  Link
jerryleungwh

May I ask what are some suggested settings on the HDR page? I have an LG OLED with HDR support. I believe that it is considered that tone map HDR with pixel shaders and output in HDR format should provide the best quality, but I am not too clear about the options provided even after reading some related posts here. So I have read an OLED should be able to produce up to 10000 nits, should I put that in target peak nits? I have seen some users putting 600 or 700 here and I tried that myself, and it seems to me that when the peak nits of the frame is higher than the value I put here, some of the brighter areas will be dimmed down, doesn't that mean I am not viewing the content as bright as it is supposed to be? But then it does seem if I just do passthrough the brightest area get crushed to almost and loses some detail, should I just use the * value in "HDR * nits, BT.2020 ->DCI-P3" given in the OSD as target peak nits so it reaches the brightest as it needs to while also get "correct tone mapping"? Thanks!
jerryleungwh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling