Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th December 2018, 15:47   #53841  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Thanks for the tip. But won't this affect upscaling also?

Too bad DXVA2 produces such horrible aliasing artifacts.
I guess you're right about the scaler unit because GPU usage drops to idle. Too bad quality was not a factor in its design...
It shouldn't. But you can also create a profile so this only applies to 2160p content.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 15:53   #53842  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Folks,
Watching 23.976fps UHD movie with a Win10 system with Nvidia GTX1060 6GB driver 388.13 on a FHD SDR display. It results into 8ms rendering times using JINC everywhere ( plus: scale chroma separately in the trade section ). HDR to SDR pixel shader math checked. CRU applied with 23.976Hz from Nvidia. Windows 1803 version.
The playback gets choppy and frame drops occur in certain scenes. It looks to me as a performance problem. What could be the culprit?
Thanks
Network latency maybe? Is the decoder empty when this happens?

Check Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> View network status and tasks.

Click on the active connection and see what it says for Speed. Should say 1.0 Gbps.

You can also test your network speed with this program: https://download.cnet.com/LAN-Speed-...-10908738.html

You need Write access to the media folder to complete the test.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 21:20   #53843  |  Link
Plutotype

Thanks eL Filou/Warner306
The issue was simplier than anything else...I have accidentally unclicked HW accelerated decoding by GPU. CPU was decoding HEVC content, but of course struggled.
Old 9th December 2018, 23:40   #53844  |  Link
Ampallang

Hi just bought now a gtx 1070ti. Does Somebody have experience with this card. Coming from a gtx 960 4g and didn't update the driver for along time. Which driver works best for the 1070ti with win 10 64bit. Also any recommendations on settings. Ngu sharp should be possible I think maybe exact the same as for the gtx 1080.
Ampallang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 23:55   #53845  |  Link
ryrynz

385.28 is still the best option unfortunately. Has anyone posted the issues surrounding the newer versions on the nvidia forum? It's been a year.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 09:07   #53846  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Yes 385.28 seams to be the best driver.

Last edited by Betroz; 11th December 2018 at 10:17.
Betroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 12:57   #53847  |  Link
chros

Quote:
I guess you're right about the scaler unit because GPU usage drops to idle. Too bad quality was not a factor in its design...
What GPU are we talking about? Even my "old" mobile GT650m (kepler) could playback (via CPU) uhd hdr content using moderate settings.
Old 10th December 2018, 18:39   #53848  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
What GPU are we talking about? Even my "old" mobile GT650m (kepler) could playback (via CPU) uhd hdr content using moderate settings.
GTS450.

(Via CPU I assume you mean decoding.)
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 11:40   #53849  |  Link
chros

Quote:
(Via CPU I assume you mean decoding.)
That's correct.

Quote:
GTS450
Oh, sh*t It's even older than mine (prev gen Fermi), but: it's a desktop GPU!
You can try out these ones as well for 4k hdr content, along with the "scale chroma seperately" setting:
- enable 1 more in trade performance: the 1 below "scale chroma seperately" setting (maybe it's called gamut mapping)
-- this one will screw up the colors, but it helps performance
- disable "highlight recovery" in hdr menu under your display (it's really taxing otherwise)
- enable crop black bars: that will help with wide-screen content a lot (but not with fullscreen ones)
- dithering: ordered

I think this time you should be able to use at least bicubic scalers for both luma and chroma.
If it's working then try to disable the above set gamut mapping setting in trade performance and see what happens.

Btw: I also "had to" buy a new PC, just because of the new HDR algorithm.
@madshi, take a look what you've done!

Last edited by chros; 11th December 2018 at 11:48.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 11:59   #53850  |  Link
SirSwede

Question:

I use MPC-HC, LAV Filters and madVR to play programs on my HTPC.

I have Asperger and, from time to time, get some weird ideas in my head. One of the is to run CCleaner (I am on Windows 7) before I play a program with madVR - as to "clear" everything else before I play a program.

Does doing that actually affect anything in terms of the picture (quality) with MPC-HC/madVR or is this just another one of my ideas (that doesn't have an anchor in reality)?

SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 12:26   #53851  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its not going to affect anything. In truth, using tools like CCleaner is usually a bad idea in general.
Old 11th December 2018, 14:51   #53852  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
That's correct.

Oh, sh*t It's even older than mine (prev gen Fermi), but: it's a desktop GPU!
You can try out these ones as well for 4k hdr content, along with the "scale chroma seperately" setting:
- enable 1 more in trade performance: the 1 below "scale chroma seperately" setting (maybe it's called gamut mapping)
-- this one will screw up the colors, but it helps performance
- disable "highlight recovery" in hdr menu under your display (it's really taxing otherwise)
- enable crop black bars: that will help with wide-screen content a lot (but not with fullscreen ones)
- dithering: ordered

I think this time you should be able to use at least bicubic scalers for both luma and chroma.
If it's working then try to disable the above set gamut mapping setting in trade performance and see what happens.
Thanks for the tips.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 14:56   #53853  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its not going to affect anything. In truth, using tools like CCleaner is usually a bad idea in general.
How come?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 16:01   #53854  |  Link
huhn

what are you expecting from a 3rd party tool playing around your registry and data by deleting data it's algorithm finds useless and claims it makes your PC faster by making free space on your disc? just download a couple GB of ram.
or disbaling start up programs because taksmanager startup is to hard to find and because you the user bloated it.

if you mess your PC up the fix is not CC whatever cleaner it's learn how to use a PC properly.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 20:25   #53855  |  Link
Syst3mSh0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
what are you expecting from a 3rd party tool playing around your registry and data by deleting data it's algorithm finds useless and claims it makes your PC faster by making free space on your disc? just download a couple GB of ram.
or disbaling start up programs because taksmanager startup is to hard to find and because you the user bloated it.

if you mess your PC up the fix is not CC whatever cleaner it's learn how to use a PC properly.
Agreed but you don't need to be so harsh about it... CCleaner is useful for cleaning up temporary files in well known/defined folders (normally in the %appdata% or %programdata% directories). It's other functionality concerning the Registry is less safe, it does offer you to backup before touching anything though, and truth be told I've never corrupted any Hive by removing orphaned keys with CC.
Syst3mSh0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 21:37   #53856  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
How come?
Tools like this can remove data that can cause issues, even reducing performance, you're cleaning temp files usually that will just repopulate anyway and this makes it a never ending task with little to negative benefits. The only real reason to look at doing this is if you need extra space and freeing up a few GB of cache and temporary files is not really going to help much unless you have major storage issues. There should be some limits on how much data accumulates anyway. This sort of cleaning should really only apply to traces of activity you don't want seen or temporary files that are no longer required, leave it at that and don't make it a daily or even weekly task.
Also as above, disable real time monitoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Does doing that actually affect anything in terms of the picture (quality) with MPC-HC/madVR or is this just another one of my ideas (that doesn't have an anchor in reality)?
As Nev said, this will affect nothing in terms of picture quality or performance for video playback or even general system performance, it will however reduce performance for apps that have had their cache removed until it's repopulated and optimized.

Last edited by ryrynz; 11th December 2018 at 21:47.
Old 11th December 2018, 21:49   #53857  |  Link
nussman

Please open a CC Cleaner thread for further discussion, because its really OT here.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 23:55   #53858  |  Link
ryrynz

No kiddin, didn't need you to tell us.
Old 12th December 2018, 15:47   #53859  |  Link
edigee

NVIDIA 417.22 driver
Fixed!
""""- RGB color format does not get set correctly even when forced in the NVIDIA Control Panel
- Can't apply color format after updating to driver 417.01'''''

Did anyone try this driver?
edigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 15:57   #53860  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by edigee View Post
NVIDIA 417.22 driver
Fixed!
""""- RGB color format does not get set correctly even when forced in the NVIDIA Control Panel
- Can't apply color format after updating to driver 417.01'''''

Did anyone try this driver?
Yes, worked fine. But there is a new driver: 417.35

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling