Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th February 2019, 22:16   #54641  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherscro1 View Post
Can anyone recomend me good settings for madVR can't seem to find some good settings most of what I have found is for older versions and with some video stutters
I have gtx 980ti i7 5930k and watching on 1440p screen mostly 1080p content sometimes 4k if that helps
Thanks
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...942#pid2238942

The guide above is very relevant. It works best if you create profiles as in the guide for each resolution you are using.

Best bet is to set it up as per the guide and start low with options and work up to either what looks good to you, but is under the GPU utilization to stop issues.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 05:12   #54642  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakLover View Post

It is an expected behaviour for the GPU to reject every single optimized pixel clock up to clock number 32? A compatibility of 85 sounds a little bit more promising than that.

Am I doing something wrong or it is the display of my TV driving me nuts?
I have an old "720p" which is actually 1024x768 pixels... so I have 5 resolutions set up (59,60,71,72 and 75 Hz). The thing is, my TV will only accept resolutions with a Vertical Total around 800 (it seems to be +/- 10 around 800) Anything else and the TV rejects it; saying "invalid Format". It took a lot of errors before I realized what value was limiting my choices. Now when I optimize, if there is no suggestions with a vertical total around 800, I just play another video and try again.

So I suggest you look at every resolution your TV actually accepts and see if there is a value in those resolutions that is similar to one another... as I said, for me it was vertical total 800 (+/- 10), for you it may be something else, but it's worth paying attention to the resolutions that are accepted

QB
Old 10th February 2019, 13:40   #54643  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakLover View Post

It is an expected behaviour for the GPU to reject every single optimized pixel clock up to clock number 32? A compatibility of 85 sounds a little bit more promising than that.

Am I doing something wrong or it is the display of my TV driving me nuts?
It isn't expected behavior, but it happens. Often, the only option left is to try another video driver version or CRU.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 23:02   #54644  |  Link
OakLover

That custom resolution feature seems to work for me right now. I played two different videos for over an hour each and tested two optimized pixel clocks with a compatibility of 50. I got two times a hit.

There is an Extension blocks section on the main window of the Custom Resolution Utility and I had to delete the resolution I currently try to optimize from two different Data Blocks called TV resolutions and HDMI support (Screenshot).

I don't use CRU to add those resolutions to my system. madvr is doing all this work and now I wonder if it will work a third time.

EDIT: It worked for a third time.

Last edited by OakLover; 11th February 2019 at 00:24.
OakLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 23:43   #54645  |  Link
actarusfleed

Excuse me guys, a simple question:

For an user forced to use D3D11 hardware decoding .... Isn't possible to put subtitles into viewing area?

Thank you so much
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 23:47   #54646  |  Link
sneaker_ger

There is no black bar detection with D3D11 native (or DXVA2 native). D3D11 copy-back or DXVA2 copy-back aren't fast enough on your system?
Workaround would be to (hard) set different subtitle position if your player allows this. But of course needs to be changed manually when you switch to a movie with different AR ...
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 12:24   #54647  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Still not an option for those who need HDMI passthrough for HDR, as the metadata is still not correct sadly. But if you use pixer shader tonemapping as I do, 418.81 seem to work great.
As a user of a plasma 1080p panel I have to admit that my future upgrade to OLED is looking scarier and scarier. There seems to be so many buts and ifs for UHD HDR playback that I dread the day I'll have to deal with them.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 13:27   #54648  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
As a user of a plasma 1080p panel I have to admit that my future upgrade to OLED is looking scarier and scarier. There seems to be so many buts and ifs for UHD HDR playback that I dread the day I'll have to deal with them.
Having bought a 4K TV a few weeks ago, it is quite daunting but I think only because we try and get the best out of it.

For example your average Joe will select a preset and away they will go, we are the ones worried about Gamma, crushed blacks and I do think we make things hard for ourselves, I know personally I was quite in awe of UHD when I played my first file, but by the time I have tweaked, changed settings it seems a lot flatter now, so unsure if I am doing more harm than good.

I also do not know how you would know if the metadata was not correct ?
Old 11th February 2019, 13:53   #54649  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I also do not know how you would know if the metadata was not correct ?
Looks like we can't know unless the TV reports it. At first it looked like it was only 417.** and later drivers (I'm using 416.81) but then someone posted that this affected all drivers after the 398.** ones, so if true nvidia has been affected by this for a while now.

Last edited by iSeries; 11th February 2019 at 13:56.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 14:00   #54650  |  Link
chros

Quote:
As a user of a plasma 1080p panel I have to admit that my future upgrade to OLED is looking scarier and scarier.
That's why I didn't dare to acquire one. Not to mention, I'd only need the quater of its features, and smart users can even find issues with those. Maybe just a huge monitor and that's it? But for what price? Maybe we need a separate topic exactly for "What display for madVR?"
Old 11th February 2019, 15:17   #54651  |  Link
Warner306

But still can't beat the perfect blacks and contrast of an OLED. If burn-in isn't a problem, they are the best panels out there, IMO. Bright LEDs with local dimming have more downsides. It is more a matter of whether tone mapped HDR is satisfying enough to own an HDR display. I think it can be given current content is graded to match these displays.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 17:01   #54652  |  Link
svengun

Quote:
Originally Posted by actarusfleed View Post
Excuse me guys, a simple question:

For an user forced to use D3D11 hardware decoding .... Isn't possible to put subtitles into viewing area?

Thank you so much
With MPC-BE you can shift them up (I have the same problem

Press: SHIFT+CONTROL + arrow up
svengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 17:10   #54653  |  Link
giulianoprs

I still do not have the 4k HDR TV, although I'm reading various forums on the subject to document me, I also want the oled, but it would not be easier to do with madvr the passthrough, so that the tv runs the hdr?
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 18:43   #54654  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
But still can't beat the perfect blacks and contrast of an OLED. If burn-in isn't a problem, they are the best panels out there, IMO. Bright LEDs with local dimming have more downsides. It is more a matter of whether tone mapped HDR is satisfying enough to own an HDR display. I think it can be given current content is graded to match these displays.
I'm pretty confident about OLED qualities, especially now that motion through BFI looks to be more configurable.
I was referring to the task of getting HDR content to the TV through madVR, drivers, OS... it seems like we are still very far from fire and forget solutions. And at the end of the day I long for simplicity. I have a TV, it's calibrated to standards, I configure madVR to my likings, I set up custom resolutions to achieve smooth playback. Done.
With HDR there appears to be an extra, heavy, layer of complexity on top of this. Maybe I'll have fun understanding it all but it's looking tougher and tougher, instead of getting simpler.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 19:08   #54655  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
I'm pretty confident about OLED qualities, especially now that motion through BFI looks to be more configurable.
I was referring to the task of getting HDR content to the TV through madVR, drivers, OS... it seems like we are still very far from fire and forget solutions. And at the end of the day I long for simplicity. I have a TV, it's calibrated to standards, I configure madVR to my likings, I set up custom resolutions to achieve smooth playback. Done.
With HDR there appears to be an extra, heavy, layer of complexity on top of this. Maybe I'll have fun understanding it all but it's looking tougher and tougher, instead of getting simpler.
To be honest that side seems quite easy nowadays, I was concerned as well, but I do not have any issues with the nVidia side in enabling HDR with multiple drivers. I have to set HDR passthrough as my 1050 2GB is not up to par to do the fancy new tone mapping, but if you are up to speed in madVR all you really need to do is select HDR passthrough for ease.

Calibration is another matter though, as its not as simple as getting black and white levels, and if it is I am making hard work in doing this.
Old 11th February 2019, 19:18   #54656  |  Link
Raimu

This seems like an unusually convoluted scaling path. Noticed this upscaling TV content from 576p.

Raimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 19:52   #54657  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
I do not have any issues with the nVidia side in enabling HDR with multiple drivers.
I've never had any issue enabling HDR either, but the question now is, is the metadata that is being sent correct, or fake...but I guess questions like that belong in the driver thread.
Old 11th February 2019, 19:58   #54658  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
I've never had any issue enabling HDR either, but the question now is, is the metadata that is being sent correct, or fake...but I guess questions like that belong in the driver thread.
In all honesty they are messing with multiple numbers and this and that with the latest variant of tone mapping, I watch a film once usually and that it, they are watching the same scenes over and over and over again looking for minute differences in frames.

I just like greens to look green and skin colours to look normal

So whether the metadata is right or wrong, Ive probably messed it all up with the HDR settings I like anyway.
Old 11th February 2019, 20:03   #54659  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
This seems like an unusually convoluted scaling path. Noticed this upscaling TV content from 576p.
Yes, I also am seeing something similar on a 1080 screen albeit with fewer steps. The problem is NGU can only double, and (IIRC) SSIM can only scale x and y in the same proportions so if your source is anamorphic like TV, you need another step to do the scaling step from 1,25:1 to 1.78:1

Quote:
In all honesty they are messing with multiple numbers and this and that with the latest variant of tone mapping, I watch a film once usually and that it, they are watching the same scenes over and over and over again looking for minute differences in frames.

With HDR the issue is not limited to just colours that look correct, tbh. The whole cinematographic effect of some scenes can radically change with bad tonemapping.

Last edited by el Filou; 11th February 2019 at 20:06.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 20:07   #54660  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:

So whether the metadata is right or wrong, Ive probably messed it all up with the HDR settings I like anyway.
With passthrough there is nothing that should be messed up, but apparently even when just passing HDR through, nvidia is sending bogus metadata to the TV. So this is (may?) be an issue for all madVR nvidia users, regardless of whether they are using madVR to tonemap (and sending as HDR) or straight passthrough

Last edited by iSeries; 11th February 2019 at 20:24.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling