Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th February 2019, 12:43   #54861  |  Link
alexnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
There is a registry entry but cant remember off the top of my head, but restore default settings will take it all back to default which is in the same folder.

Have you tried using MPC-HCs default renderer before madVR to see if the CPU spikes, as it maybe due to MPC rather than madVR ?

EDIT : https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...50#post1842150
I deleted the key and I will test mpc without madvr when I get home. I cannot test via remote desktop right now.

EDIT: Do you believe that I have to uninstall lav filters, too?
I also use Codec Tweak Tool for wmc. Does it affect mpc in any way?

Last edited by alexnt; 20th February 2019 at 12:51.
alexnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 13:04   #54862  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnt View Post
I deleted the key and I will test mpc without madvr when I get home. I cannot test via remote desktop right now.

EDIT: Do you believe that I have to uninstall lav filters, too?
I also use Codec Tweak Tool for wmc. Does it affect mpc in any way?
Unsure tbh, I would wipe it all and do one thing at a time, depends how much it bothers you.

Theres not many people chiming in, and I have not seen your LAV settings or madVR settings as such, so its tricky to diagnose if indeed it is a problem as can be seen others are saying its not.

If it was all working fine before, only you will know if you changed anything, drivers, settings and the likes, so as I said its a tricky one to diagnose.

As I said before the only instance I see madVR in task manager is when I have the settings open, did you try playing a video with it closed.

EDIT : Thats actually not true, I see two instances of madVR with a movie running but not underneath MPC-BE

Last edited by madjock; 20th February 2019 at 13:10.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 13:24   #54863  |  Link
alexnt

Quote:
Unsure tbh, I would wipe it all and do one thing at a time, depends how much it bothers you.

Theres not many people chiming in, and I have not seen your LAV settings or madVR settings as such, so its tricky to diagnose if indeed it is a problem as can be seen others are saying its not.

If it was all working fine before, only you will know if you changed anything, drivers, settings and the likes, so as I said its a tricky one to diagnose.

As I said before the only instance I see madVR in task manager is when I have the settings open, did you try playing a video with it closed.
lav settings:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...65#post1866165

I will take a madvr screenshot when I install it and set it as I had before i remove it.

madvr settings open automatically in tray when I play a video, do you mean to close it from tray?

I removed amd drivers, yesterday, with ddu and installed older drivers but nothing changed.

can you post a screenshot of mpc internal filters?
Old 20th February 2019, 13:31   #54864  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
lav settings:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...65#post1866165

I will take a madvr screenshot when I install it and set it as I had before i remove it.

madvr settings open automatically in tray when I play a video, do you mean to close it from tray?

I removed amd drivers, yesterday, with ddu and installed older drivers but nothing changed.

can you post a screenshot of mpc internal filters?
Ah ok, well the majority are using D3D11 and native, as in don't select the video card in the box, can't see that affecting the CPU though. Still don't get the madVR bit, its maybe that having the settings open when madVR is getting played as it on screen with the settings, but that could be a red herring, I also don't see the settings showing on your screen and usually it sitts on top of everything.

I am sort of out of ideas tbh, I still think its MPC-HC or BE that is using the CPU, and maybe it just does on your system for whatever reason. or something I am not aware about.

When you say load on the CPU is it constant ? As I said don't go just by the multipliers as mine stays quite high doing the littlest thing.

EDIT : I was getting about 6% max on my CPU and madVR did show up this time under BE whilst playing a video, I give up.

Last edited by madjock; 20th February 2019 at 13:36.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 13:52   #54865  |  Link
clsid

AMD r9 290 does not support hardware acceleration of HEVC/H.265, nor does it do 4K H.264. So that's the simple reason for high CPU usage.

To see whether acceleration is active, you should look at the settings of an active instance of LAV Video decoder. Accessing it either through its systray icon, or through menu>play>filters in MPC.

DirectShow filters are loaded by the player similar as a DLL. They do not run as a separate process. Madvr subprocesses in task manager are not the renderer itself, but helper processes. For example for restoring refreshrate after closing player.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 13:56   #54866  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
amd r9 290 does not support hardware acceleration of hevc/h.265, nor does it do 4k h.264. So that's the simple reason for high cpu usage.
doh !
Old 20th February 2019, 13:59   #54867  |  Link
huhn

restore default settings.bat

this resets madVR including the registry you can find it in the madVR folder.
next you are playing an HEVC file with an R9 200 series card? then the CPU has to do the work this GPU doesn't support HEVC. the video has to be decoded that'S not madVR job.

there are settings that can use quite a lot of CPU cycles.one would be black bar detection.

and don't recommend DXVA native with it madVR can't deal with interlaced content at all. as long as this isn't fixed it shouldn't be blindly recommended to user if there is an alternative that works with all kind of normal content.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 14:03   #54868  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
and don't recommend DXVA native with it madVR can't deal with interlaced content at all. as long as this isn't fixed it shouldn't be blindly recommended to user if there is an alternative that works with all kind of normal content.

You talking to me ? I never recommended DVXA thats what he had.
Old 20th February 2019, 14:07   #54869  |  Link
huhn

i messed up it's D3D11 native that can't deal with intelranced content.

DXVA is "fine" at least for interlanced content
Old 20th February 2019, 14:08   #54870  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
i messed up it's D3D11 native that can't deal with intelranced content.

DXVA is "fine" at least for interlanced content
Ah ok, well I guess thats where all these guides and comments mess things up, as usually its the first thing people recommend.
Old 20th February 2019, 14:16   #54871  |  Link
alexnt

So which decoder should I use?

I 'm talking about AVC files, I only download a sample of HEVC file.

Can someone post a screenshot of mpc->options->internal filters?
Old 20th February 2019, 14:24   #54872  |  Link
clsid

DXVA2 copy-back

Just enable all internal filters.
Old 20th February 2019, 14:27   #54873  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Ah ok, well I guess thats where all these guides and comments mess things up, as usually its the first thing people recommend.
i know and will have a bright future one day but that day isn't here yet and there is nothing nev can do about the issue is on madVR side.

DXVA copyback or D3D11 copyback whatever works best for you.

Quote:

the mpc->option->internal filter should be left at default default settings are default for a reason.

there is an rumour that intel HD 4600 can do HEVC 8 bit which should be rarely of any use but still.

so D3D11 copyback with HD 4600 should give you the most powerful decoder on your system.
Old 20th February 2019, 14:27   #54874  |  Link
madjock

Quote:

Yeah lets not talk about this part...

"I have a 4690k and r9 290 and I know(because I have seen it) that madvr did't behave with the same way in the past."

Old 20th February 2019, 14:41   #54875  |  Link
alexnt

Quote:
i know and will have a bright future one day but that day isn't here yet and there is nothing nev can do about the issue is on madVR side.

DXVA copyback or D3D11 copyback whatever works best for you.

the mpc->option->internal filter should be left at default default settings are default for a reason.

there is an rumour that intel HD 4600 can do HEVC 8 bit which should be rarely of any use but still.

so D3D11 copyback with HD 4600 should give you the most powerful decoder on your system.
Asked because I have seen some guides that disable everything in transformation filters part.
Old 20th February 2019, 14:49   #54876  |  Link
huhn

the internet is a wild place and there are reason to do that i even have disabled them myself.
but and that important it there is no reason todo that if you are not playing around with test/beta version and testing other stuff.

the internal lavfilter version is fine. if there is a major change you can count on clsid that he will release a new mpc-hc version that is updated.
Old 20th February 2019, 14:50   #54877  |  Link
clsid

Pretty much every guide out there is full of bad advice.

As a rule of thumb:
Don't change any default settings unless you understand what a setting does and why changing it makes things better for you.
Old 20th February 2019, 15:01   #54878  |  Link
el Filou

@alexnt If it still happens after the whole reinstall and reset settings, post a screenshot of Task Manager's 'details' tab sorted by CPU usage.
You can also get Process Explorer from the Windows SysInternals tools suite to get more details
Old 20th February 2019, 15:19   #54879  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
@alexnt If it still happens after the whole reinstall and reset settings, post a screenshot of Task Manager's 'details' tab sorted by CPU usage.
You can also get Process Explorer from the Windows SysInternals tools suite to get more details
I think we know why the CPU is so active now

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
AMD r9 290 does not support hardware acceleration of HEVC/H.265, nor does it do 4K H.264. So that's the simple reason for high CPU usage.
Old 20th February 2019, 16:06   #54880  |  Link
alexnt

OK guys I believe I found the culprit. It was that key in registry.
Everything works as intended though I tested through remote desktop. I told you that it was not a normal behavior.
Thank you all for your time.

Why the uninstaller doesn't remove that key???

Last edited by alexnt; 20th February 2019 at 16:08.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling