Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th February 2019, 23:08   #55041  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

madshi has already stated that no further information is available at this point, so asking about every possible feature is not going to get you any further. Just wait until its officially revealed.
Old 28th February 2019, 23:14   #55042  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
madshi has already stated that no further information is available at this point, so asking about every possible feature is not going to get you any further. Just wait until its officially revealed.
Do you guys think this will be a custom asic or fpga ?
Old 28th February 2019, 23:19   #55043  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Will the dongle only do dynamic tone-mapping ?

Is it going to support 3dLut and Calibration ?

ALSO, NGU ??, what's happening to that ??
Maybe it was in the post he deleted, but madshi earlier requested that we hold our questions about Edge until he has a chance to release more information.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 23:25   #55044  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Maybe it was in the post he deleted, but madshi earlier requested that we hold our questions about Edge until he has a chance to release more information.
My mind is spinning.. It's all I can think about now..

fingers crossed, lutbox lutbox lutbox lutbox lutbox AFFORDABLE.
Old 1st March 2019, 00:07   #55045  |  Link
Asmodian

Not "Edge", it was "Envy".
Old 1st March 2019, 00:36   #55046  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
maybe you should add a reason why a HTPC user should care?
Oh, come on, huhn. I have been using madVR's tone mapping for some time now and it has been improving in a linear fashion every month and could still improve from this point forward.

You have no idea how limited HDR tone mapping can be for someone who owns a device like a projector. Like it or not, a lot of desired consumer media is moving to HDR and it can look great when using madVR's tone mapping. It is one of a kind in what it can do.

I support madshi in possibly obtaining some type of payback for all of the hours he put into this project. Why doesn't he deserve that? I don't know how large the demand may be, but people will drop money on good tone mapping when faced with the prospect of watching dark or badly tone mapped movies when they already invested in an HDR projector. It is not a big deal or a big expense to someone who owns an $8,000-$35,000 projector set up in a true home theater environment.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 00:56   #55047  |  Link
huhn

that was an honest question from me and i got an honest answer from him and quite some information about that product too.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 01:19   #55048  |  Link
Warner306

Ok, fair enough. I thought you were just trying to be a negative Nancy. Can't say you were ever dishonest...

Last edited by Warner306; 1st March 2019 at 01:33.
Old 1st March 2019, 02:25   #55049  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Ok, fair enough. I thought you were just trying to be a negative Nancy. Can't say you were ever dishonest...
The projector will always be there for nostalgia.

But without a custom graded movie designed FOR the very limited ANSI-contrast ratio, It's never going to look RIGHT, because the intent is so far mismatched.

Going forward with big tvs being so affordable, I don't think projection has much to give on standard HDR media, Unless they include a projector grading on the disc..

That is probably much more relevant a Pursuit/ ask from the Disc manufacturer by projector enthusiasts, than Madvr's dynamic tonemapping with regards to Projection.

You would demand this through the projector companies, who would then leverage industry to produce the grading.
Old 1st March 2019, 03:00   #55050  |  Link
ryrynz

Hopefully it takes off and he could maybe even license out the code to have it built in to a particular manufacturers product or bundled with it.. Just needs the right industry connections/cred. Time to put all those similar sorts of boxes to shame.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 03:03   #55051  |  Link
huhn

i wonder what projectors in cinemas do...
and i wonder why the thread on AVS where madshi is active is projector related.

so i do a guess here "because he cares about projectors too".

and back to the topic i pretty much ask him why an HTPC user should care or if there is something exclusive.
and you can read this answer. so HTPC will be able to do the "same" or don't need that feature or what ever you interpret into it.
i'm not attacking projectors with that what so ever and i don't asked that to piss him off. i just wanted to know if madVR will be able to do the same or what differentiating this product.
i don't attack HDR tone mapping with that too.
Old 1st March 2019, 03:09   #55052  |  Link
ryrynz

It was a pertinent statement/question for sure.
Madshi is pretty excited about it obviously.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 10:27   #55053  |  Link
madjock

A rough mock up found in the wild of madVR ENVY

https://imgur.com/a/AZy01pS

No HTPC required !

Last edited by madjock; 1st March 2019 at 10:32.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 11:04   #55054  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
I set the 1080Ti card to RGB 0-255 12bits and madvr to the same. I noticed weeks ago that my NX9 wouldnt display when I set it to RGB, however it only worked if I left it on Auto. I thought it was odd as in the past I had my X9900 set to RGB and everything was fine, I believe if all in the chain is set to RGB, the proj should be in RGB, is that correct?
Yes it is. It should also work if you set it manually to YCC422.

Quote:
I have a feeling now that since Im using 12bit and auto on the NX9 that Im now doing a conversion to 422 which I believe isnt good....
No it's not, especially as it happens behind madVR's back, and isn't reported by the JVC (which still happily reports RGB 12bits in the info panel).

Quote:
Am I ok with how I have the card/madvr/NX9 setup at the moment or should I be changing everything to 8bit until JVC fix this?
As I said, I recommend to use RGB Full 8bits with the new JVCs at the moment. This has no visible detrimental effect as long as you force 8bits in madVR as well. If you let bit depth set to "auto" or "10bits or more" in madVR, you will get a lot of banding. The nVidia CP should be set to RGB full 8bits, and you can either set the JVC and madVR to 0-255 if you care about having the correct levels in the desktop, or set the levels to 16-235 in the JVC and in madVR if you mostly care about video content. My HTPC is for movie playback only so I prefer to set both to 16-235 to avoid unnecessary conversions, as the content is in video levels and madVR's 3D LUT works in video levels as well. That way it remains in video levels all along. Using auto for levels in the JVC is fine most of the time, but then you're never sure if something isn't as it should. I use auto for colorspace but I set levels to 16-235 manually to see when something is not done as expected.

JVC has been informed of the forced YCC422 issue at 23/24/25/30p in RGB 12bits and hopefully they will correct it in a f/w update (see https://discuss.avscience.com/index....11347#msg11347).
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 1st March 2019 at 11:14.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 11:31   #55055  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Not "Edge", it was "Envy".
Oops. Quite right. Guess I was a bit blown away, too.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 12:03   #55056  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
The projector will always be there for nostalgia.

But without a custom graded movie designed FOR the very limited ANSI-contrast ratio, It's never going to look RIGHT, because the intent is so far mismatched.

Going forward with big tvs being so affordable, I don't think projection has much to give on standard HDR media, Unless they include a projector grading on the disc..

That is probably much more relevant a Pursuit/ ask from the Disc manufacturer by projector enthusiasts, than Madvr's dynamic tonemapping with regards to Projection.

You would demand this through the projector companies, who would then leverage industry to produce the grading.
I can agree all HDR content should have a grade for projectors, but the projector market might never be large enough for that to happen. Tone mapping can be an adequate replacement until that happens.

Dolby Cinemas uses a special 107 nit grade for HDR movies, so this isn't unheard of.

There could be some that want to use this tone mapping with an HDR TV. I think the bigger issue is knowing whether or not you need or can get better tone mapping with better technology. And maybe this box is meant to do other things, as well. Tone mapped HDR has become too complicated to understand.
Old 1st March 2019, 15:11   #55057  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I can agree all HDR content should have a grade for projectors, but the projector market might never be large enough for that to happen. Tone mapping can be an adequate replacement until that happens.

Dolby Cinemas uses a special 107 nit grade for HDR movies, so this isn't unheard of.

There could be some that want to use this tone mapping with an HDR TV. I think the bigger issue is knowing whether or not you need or can get better tone mapping with better technology. And maybe this box is meant to do other things, as well. Tone mapped HDR has become too complicated to understand.
Well the good news is , it's already been graded for Projectors at theaters which don't have much higher ANSICR than serious home setups (probably less in many cases),

The consumer such as yourself just needs to get active and Beat the projector company over the head to form a consortium to beat the movie company over the head to include the projector grading..

Everything you guys want already Exists, and can be included without much effort, what need-be is DEMAND..

Pitchforks time. Clipboard + Petition
Old 1st March 2019, 15:24   #55058  |  Link

I hope someone can tell me what is happening or what I am doing wrong. I play 4K 10bit HDR content through Potplayer/madVR but my Epson is reporting 8bit color and BT2020 colorspace. I have my nVidia CP set to RGB Full 12bit which is confirmed in the madVR OSD and the OSD is reporting 10 bit content being sent.
422415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 15:44   #55059  |  Link
ashlar42

One question concerning RAM usage, as I'm contemplating the upgrade to either a GTX 1070 or a RTX 2060. Is the extra RAM important or are 6GB enough for 4K upscaling (from SD and HD sources)?
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 16:39   #55060  |  Link
huhn

4 GB Vram is enough for UHD output. BTW. we are only able to see how much Vram is reserved not how much is used.

don't buy an nearly 3 year old architecture if it isn't massively cheaper.

@422415
can you make a screen of the OSD?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling