Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 1st September 2013, 15:52   #61  |  Link
mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner View Post
Greetings Nik. Many thanks for this wonderful tool.

Appreciate if you could kindly explain the correct way to edit the time code of BD sup and save the modifications. It seems all png information is lost in the process.

Best regards.

Code:
<Event InTC="00:01:31:00" OutTC="00:01:32:11" Forced="False">
  <Graphic Width="150" Height="50" X="885" Y="1015">0002.png</Graphic>
</Event>
<Event InTC="00:01:37:06" OutTC="00:01:39:06" Forced="False">
  <Graphic Width="150" Height="50" X="885" Y="1015">0003.png</Graphic>
</Event>
Anyone?
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 21:21   #62  |  Link
loninappleton

Where to start with Subtitle Edit Recommend a current guide

Some responses on here begin in 2011 and then jump to the current day all in 4 Doom9 pages.

Please give a source for a guide for use of the current version of Subtitle Edit.

I have been struggling with an older film in French that has only partial English subtitle srt file. There is a prologue which is not translated (any help appreciated, details can be mailed) and so dialog starts in at about 2 minutes after the beginning. I had done a timing on it at 2:38 IIRC.

From there I think there is an srt sub for NTSC only available for one extant PAL download or vice versa.

I can get the details from GSpot if someone picks up on this query. Simply put, I have never been able to get the voice subs lined up no matter what technique I have tried to stumble through. Perhaps there is a way to deconstruct these errors?

One thing I know is the dialog is always in advance of the video and I have not been able to discern whether timing in consistent through out.

This is a pet project. The film is of minor interest to a minimal audience. Fans of directors like Jean Rollin and Jess Franco may find it interesting. Others may find the exploitative nature of the content (pretty mild) off-putting and so my advisory is given.

Last edited by loninappleton; 1st September 2013 at 21:23. Reason: typo
loninappleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:56   #63  |  Link
Nikse555

@mariner: Sorry, SE cannot edit bd sup files - only import and export atm.

@THXTEX: Hm, I can see that it also happens with bdsup2sub but not with bdsup2sub++! Anybody knows about this? Well, I guess you can re-save the sup file with bdsup2sub++ to make it work.

@loninappleton: If you want to add subtitles to an existing srt file, I would use the waveform and 'draw' the subtitles (or setup some shortcuts via Options -> Settings -> Shortcuts). The SE help file is here: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/Help#video_modes
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 23:07   #64  |  Link
johner23

Hello, dear all!

@Nikse555

Quote:
SE cannot edit bd sup files - only import and export atm.
Nowadays, which programs can edit bd sup (and similar ones) files accordingly?

In a future, maybe SE can do it also?

Thanks.

Best regards.
johner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 06:33   #65  |  Link
mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
@mariner: Sorry, SE cannot edit bd sup files - only import and export atm.
Thanks for the kind reply, Nikse555.

At the moment, I can get SE to read a XML file (which is just a text file) and modify the time code, but have problem saving the changes made. Is it possible to get SE just to save the modified time codes while leaving the other parameters of the XML file untouched?

Appreciate if you'd kindly look into this.

Many thanks and best regards.
Old 3rd September 2013, 06:40   #66  |  Link
mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johner23 View Post
Hello, dear all!

@Nikse555

Nowadays, which programs can edit bd sup (and similar ones) files accordingly?

In a future, maybe SE can do it also?

Thanks.

Best regards.
Try BDSup2Sub.
Old 4th September 2013, 20:45   #67  |  Link
THXTEX

Quote:
Well, I guess you can re-save the sup file with bdsup2sub++ to make it work.
Yes, that works. But the re-saved sub is about 33% larger in filesize....Strange.

Still the baseline alingment issue.
THXTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 13:53   #68  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by THXTEX View Post
Yes, that works. But the re-saved sub is about 33% larger in filesize....Strange.

Still the baseline alingment issue.
OK, the short display time might be fixed now: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip

About the baseline alignment... it's pretty close on my computer. Do you have some test cases where it's bad?
Old 5th September 2013, 21:50   #69  |  Link
THXTEX

Quote:
Do you have some test cases where it's bad?
I have pm'ed you an example. Select the Danish sub.
You'll notice that subs with a part below the baseline are placed a bit higher than lines without. But at the end the lines with part below baseline are placed lower.
Old 6th September 2013, 17:04   #70  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by THXTEX View Post
I have pm'ed you an example. Select the Danish sub.
You'll notice that subs with a part below the baseline are placed a bit higher than lines without. But at the end the lines with part below baseline are placed lower.
New version upped: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip
Baseline alignment should be fixed
Old 7th September 2013, 08:44   #71  |  Link
THXTEX

Think I have found what is causing the strange behaviour. I have PM'ed you a link for a new testfile. The file has 2 subs - both created with SE. In one of them I used Ariel (50) font and on the other Verdana (50) font. In Verdana the letter 'å' has a large circle which makes letter very tall. This somehow pushes the entire line below the baseline. The sub created with Ariel looks fine. Does this make sense?

Anyway I will go with the Ariel font which anyway looks better.

..... and then some more suggestions for the SUP export function. :-) Add Shadow option and fade. The Shadow could be in 8 directions. Regarding fade i'm not sure how it's added but have seen it in another software.
Old 18th September 2013, 03:47   #72  |  Link
kevmitch

How does the unitalic factor come in?

Playing around with Subtitle Edit 3.3.8 rev.2047 on Linux. My source material are the subtitles from the Criterion blu-ray release of Solaris. There are lots of itallics! Attached are a non-italic subtitle (Image53) and italic subtitle (Image54).

It seeems that the un-itallic factor (right click on an individial title in the ocr import list) is getting automagically set to what appears by eye to be the correct value. The resulting preview text looks as non-itallic as it gets. However, Tesseract isn't having any of it. It completely barfs all over the italics although it handles the non-italic stuff fine. The exported italic subtitle (Image54) is the original, while I can't find a way to export an unitalicized image.

I get the same bad OCR results running Tesseract 3.02.02 directly on this Image54. This suggests that Subtitle Edit is handing Tesseract the original italicized image, and not the unitalicized one. Is this the case?
Attached Images

kevmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 23:00   #73  |  Link
infante

Remove text markup

Hi All,
Anyway to remove all text markup tags (e.g. <i> Text </i>) without going through line by line?

thanks!
infante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 07:40   #74  |  Link
kalehrl

CTRL+A to select all, then right click and choose Normal.
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 22:52   #75  |  Link
osgZach

Maybe I'm being incredibly dense. But is it possible to re-open the OCR window?

i.e I start working on something, but then I want to save my work and come back to it later... ?
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 01:04   #76  |  Link
Nikse555

It's not really super easy to see... but if you've saved a partial ocr'ed file, you can open the image based subtitle again and right-click in the list view and choose 'Import text with matching time codes...'
Old 10th November 2013, 09:01   #77  |  Link
kalehrl

Is it possible to add an option in the program to split 2 long lines of subtitles into 3 lines?
My dvd player can only show 42 characters in a single line.
Sometimes I have 45 characters in one line and 50 in another.
The program would then split them into 3 lines which would then be shown appropriately by setting max line length to 42 in the options.
Thank you.
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 00:51   #78  |  Link
osgZach

Quote:
It's not really super easy to see... but if you've saved a partial ocr'ed file, you can open the image based subtitle again and right-click in the list view and choose 'Import text with matching time codes...'
That's really Strange.. usually what I am doing is I OCR with Subtitle Edit, then save those results after proofing as a .ASS file and do any further typsetting in Aegisub..

So I re-opened an SUP, and tried to import, but only some lines show up.. but I haven't modified their timings at all when working on them I wonder if Aegisub is truncating to tens of milliseconds O_o
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 04:27   #79  |  Link
minhjirachi

Please add the shadow option when export to.sup file like easySup. Waiting for this function
minhjirachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 15:34   #80  |  Link
Nikse555

@kevmitch: Yeah, I get the same behaviour, but I cannot debug as Ubuntu/Mono Develop will not run for me...

@kalehrl: SE cannot auto break lines to three lines atm, but you can try "Tools" -> "Split long lines" instead.

@osgZach: Thx for reporting this re-open ocr issue - time codes in ass/ssa is less precise, so it did not work too well. Will be fixed in next version (or get latest beta or latest src).

@minhjirachi: Shadow option when exporting to blu-ray sup or bdn/xml is available in latest beta/latest src.

Latest beta: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip