Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st May 2018, 20:35   #50501  |  Link
sauma144

MadVR should be installed in %appdata%.

Last edited by sauma144; 1st May 2018 at 20:45.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 20:36   #50502  |  Link
jkauff

I have an EDID editing utility that reads the EDID values from the registry for my displays. The data in the utility does not always match the EDID data madVR displays. For example, I have a monitor that supports 10-bit color, but according to madVR it only supports 8-bit color.

I assume madVR is reading the registry values, too, so why don't they match?
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 20:51   #50503  |  Link
FDisk80

After latest windows 10 update yesterday (1803)
With 397.31 driver 10-bit output doesn't work even with FSE mode anymore. It doesn't even let you run FSE Mode.
With 397.40 driver 10-bit output freezes when in FSE mode.

Going back to madVR v0.92.12 with 397.40 driver 10-bit works fine in D3D11 Fullscreen windowed mode.

Last edited by FDisk80; 1st May 2018 at 21:04.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 21:22   #50504  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by svengun View Post
Yes, but I think you misunderstood me ... you wrote there : madVR's settings can be backed up or shared via a settings.bin file.

But I would like to know how to do that. Backup my own settings

TIA, Sven
Windows 10 doesn't automatically give full write access to MADVR folder, you need to add it in security or place it outside of Program files as Warner advises. it doesnt matter where you put it though as long as it has full R/W access.

My preference is to just give myself write access to program files as I prefer all my progs in one area.

However, this periodically gets removed by windows updates i've found, it happened with creators update.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 21:24   #50505  |  Link
stefanelli73

So let me understand well for those like me who use the HDR passthrough is better to exit in fse 10bit or windowed mode to 8bit as in the current version of madvr the 92.14? .... I have the impression that in windowed mode 8bit the image is better ..... for the HDR is it better to stay with the NVIDIA 385.28 drivers or switch to the last one 397.40?
stefanelli73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 21:44   #50506  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

After the 1803 update to Win10 I'm dropping frames like mad here. Render & present queues are going way down. I'm using the same settings as before. I have tried 3 different nVidia drivers too, but same thing. So is there a problem with MadVr in Win10 build 1803?

Edit : I lowered the settings down to NGU High and it's not dropping frames now, but look at the render & present queues. Well under 10ms stats.

Edit 2 : Removed an image that takes for ever to get approved. Will make a new post.

Last edited by Betroz; 2nd May 2018 at 07:40. Reason: added stuff
Betroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 21:58   #50507  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Windows 10 doesn't automatically give full write access to MADVR folder, you need to add it in security or place it outside of Program files as Warner advises. it doesnt matter where you put it though as long as it has full R/W access.

My preference is to just give myself write access to program files as I prefer all my progs in one area.

However, this periodically gets removed by windows updates i've found, it happened with creators update.
Software for windows should not need write access anyway for the program files folder.
If madVR need this for a feature imho this should be changed by madshi.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 22:04   #50508  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

madVR doesn't even come with an installer, if you place it in Program Files, thats your own fault. Also, it stores its settings in the registry as well, so its never "required" to have that write access. The file is just a secondary settings storage, its not mandatory to retain the configuration.
Old 1st May 2018, 22:21   #50509  |  Link
nussman

I disagree here.
Program files folder is for Applications and windows offers special folders where settings can be saved.
Old 1st May 2018, 22:23   #50510  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Windows also has the registry, where madVR stores its settings. So what exactly is the problem now? =p
I like that it stores the settings in its own directory, that lets you more easily ship pre-configured settings or have madVR be more self-contained if you try to handle it "portable" without installing it in the system (if the player supports that).

Last edited by nevcairiel; 1st May 2018 at 22:26.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 22:34   #50511  |  Link
nussman

But you can see what other users (i.e. mclingo) are doing to get this settings.bin?
Imho this should not be encouraged.
Old 1st May 2018, 22:47   #50512  |  Link
wolfman2791

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman2791 View Post
Guys... I have a problem. Ever since I upgraded to the last version, I get this strange sound from my R9 390. I know it's from madvr because it goes away as soon as I turn it off. Anyone else have this problem?
Help lol.

Ran Unigine to see if my GPU was the problem... not a sound at all at max capacity. So it has to be madvr. Has there been issue with compatibility with the R9 390?
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 22:50   #50513  |  Link
mclingo

its a personal choice, i could have it anywhere on my 12 hard drives if I so chose, i've had it elsewhere in the past but I prefer it where it is now, nobody should be trying to discourage anyones personal preference as it make sod all difference where it is as long as you have R/W access.

NEV, are you suggesting settings.bin is not required?, how else would you restore settings after a wipe/reinstall/rebuild?
Old 1st May 2018, 22:52   #50514  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You could just export the registry key if you want to backup settings. Same settings, just slightly different procedure. Most Windows things store settings in the registry.
Old 1st May 2018, 22:54   #50515  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman2791 View Post
Help lol.

Ran Unigine to see if my GPU was the problem... not a sound at all at max capacity. So it has to be madvr. Has there been issue with compatibility with the R9 390?
where is the sound actually coming from, is it coming out of your speakers?, does it stop if you disable/enable bitstream?
Old 1st May 2018, 22:55   #50516  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You could just export the registry key if you want to backup settings. Same settings, just slightly different procedure. Most Windows things store settings in the registry.
i'd actually prefer that, whats the location of the reg entries, I could find them but if you have them to hand that would be useful.
Old 1st May 2018, 22:55   #50517  |  Link
cyberscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
After the 1803 update to Win10 I'm dropping frames like mad here. Render & present queues are going way down. I'm using the same settings as before. I have tried 3 different nVidia drivers too, but same thing. So is there a problem with MadVr in Win10 build 1803?

Edit : I lowered the settings down to NGU High and it's not dropping frames now, but look at the render & present queues. Well under 10ms stats.
I have the same issue. Happened right after installing Win10 build 1803. Reinstalled Nvidia drivers, madVR, MPC-BE/CE, no change, Definite issue caused by the new Win10 build 1803.
cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 23:00   #50518  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
i'd actually prefer that, whats the location of the reg entries, I could find them but if you have them to hand that would be useful.
The obvious place:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR
Old 1st May 2018, 23:01   #50519  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberscott View Post
I have the same issue. Happened right after installing Win10 build 1803. Reinstalled Nvidia drivers, madVR, MPC-BE/CE, no change, Definite issue caused by the new Win10 build 1803.
When you say you are dropping frames, what does you CONTROL-J screen look like?, are you using refresh rate switching and playing movies at 23,976, how close are to this now, are your CRU's working? Have you reinstalled MADVR and LAV filters from scratch, I had to do that after creators update, i'm using an AMD RX card though.
Old 1st May 2018, 23:01   #50520  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The obvious place:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR
Thanks.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling