Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing

Old 16th May 2018, 09:58   #1  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

BlackMagic DaVinci Resolve: Last free version for Win7?

Current versions of DaVinci Resolve (14/15) appear to be incompatible with Windows 7 now, they use an API which requires at least Windows 8.1 or even 10 (with the result that "the procedure entry point DeleteCriticalSection could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll" under Windows 7, while this entry point exists in api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-1-0.dll).

An older version of Resolve may still work under Windows 7. But is there any known archive for them? The BlackMagic website offers only the latest free edition.
_

P.S.:

Let's try the VideoHelp Software archive... (just got reminded: a forum login is required to download from here)

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 16th May 2018 at 14:09.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 10:29   #2  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

Yeah, really a shame that they fail to mention that, I lost a lot of time trying to make it work, now the old version won't install properly either...

I do have 'DaVinci_Resolve_14.3_Windows.zip 2018-Feb-02 11:12:23 642.4M' on my disk, so let me know if you need that. edit: You have a link on your pm.
Old 16th May 2018, 10:53   #3  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

No, thank you, as I said, v14.x may not be compatible to Win7 anymore, and VideoHelp has still a few v12.x, that will be tested.

New German Gleitz board
Old 16th May 2018, 13:43   #4  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Google 'old version davinci resolve'
ie
https://www.google.com/search?client....0.eUoh62hkW5Q

first on list give link to this:- https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...p?f=21&t=63752
which seems to answer your problem, (have not checked myself).

EDIT:
Quote:
All Resolve installers are available in the Support section, just select the Resolve Product Family and scroll down (have no idea why nobody seems to think of that, but this question keeps coming up over and over :roll: ).

You can go back all the way to Resolve 10!

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 14:06   #5  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I will consider this after version 12.5.6 from the VideoHelp archive has been tested by the person who wants to use it (not me).

New German Gleitz board
Old 16th May 2018, 14:15   #6  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

14.3 was working fine on my win7 irc.
Old 16th May 2018, 14:34   #7  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Then one would have to find the reason why your api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll was functionally equal to current ones built for Win10, possibly due to installing most recent MSVC or .NET runtimes.

Version 12.5.6 doesn't run stable on the PC it was installed to, doesn't recognize CUDA on a GeForce 9800, and crashes soon after the first dialogs, I was just told ... but that happens in a distance from me.

New German Gleitz board
Old 16th May 2018, 22:48   #8  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

In one of the (slightly) older Libre Office things, I get some message (maybe in Events, not sure where) that
the Office prog dont work on my system[XP32], however, I dont seem to have noticed any other problems.
Message came from some "api-ms-win-core-synch ... " style message.
Dont know if of any pertinence.
EDIT: Maybe was just testing if some sys option existed, dont know.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 16th May 2018 at 22:51.
Old 17th May 2018, 07:33   #9  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

In one of the forums, a requirement of OpenCL 1.2 / CUDA 3.0 and 2 GB VRAM was reported; so v14 won't work with a GeForce 9800 anyway. Maybe some much older version...

New German Gleitz board
Old 18th May 2018, 16:14   #10  |  Link
hajj_3

anyone reason why you can't use a different program or a new windows version?
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 17:49   #11  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I am not the user.

And yes, until a whole new PC gets affordable, the user I asked for may try other software; but he already learned about DaVinci's features, and wants to use them, so he knows he will need a new PC.

New German Gleitz board
Old 18th May 2018, 17:49   #12  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
anyone reason why you can't use a different program or a new windows version?
If that was addressing me, then is because I dont want to.
(although I do use Win10 on a 10.1 inch tablet/laptop [not quite as bad as I expected it to be,
although updates are annoying and major updates keep breaking Auto Rotate, requiring a registry hack]).

Old 16th July 2019, 00:16   #13  |  Link
gispos

Old thread, but for information.

I use Davinci Resolve 16 on a Win7 PC
How is that possible? With a Sandbox (Sandboxie)

When installing, the sandbox denies Resolve's driver installation, leaving only the native features of Resolve.
Disadvantage: I think I can only open mp4 videos. It can not save h265 videos, even the h264 format is not fully usable when encoding.
Anyway, I just save DNxHR or ChineForm in the mov container and then convert that to h264 later.

But everything else works perfectly, graphics card is recognized and thus full CUDA or OpenCL support.

Last edited by gispos; 16th July 2019 at 00:28.
gispos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 05:24   #14  |  Link
tyee

I also use Sandboxie and Win7 and have always wanted to try DaVinci but never tried because of all the posts mentioning problems. Now I'm tempted. Any special Sandboxie settings you used?
tyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 20:58   #15  |  Link
DRbackagain!

Just wanted to update this. I, too, am a Win7 user and also found that DaVinci Resolve became "broken" on my system after v.14.2. But I found this thread (some years later) and was enthused to try it. I grabbed the most recent Resolve (16.2.3) and Sandboxie (now released as freewqre) and gave it a go. First, I tried installing Resolve using SandBoxie. That didn't even allowed Resolve to finish installing. Wiped that clean and tried again, this time installing Resolve and then using Sandboxie to run it. That didn't work either. So I got rid of both.

Then, not wanting to give up, did more searching and came across this YouTube video - "How to run DaVinci Resolve on Windows 7 and 8? The procedure entry point DeleteCrytical... error" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9Sjyw2-Jg). A few users had other problems (too weak hardware, too old video drivers and/or .DLL files), but for most it worked ... me included!

It's so simple. Just install Resolve. You must be online while doing this to allow Resolve to grab additional parts from Blackmagic Design. After installation, when you run it, you'll get an error message "Resolve.exe Entry Point Not Found -- The procedure enty point DeleteCriticalSection could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-syngh-l1-2-0.dll" and it will not run. The YouTube video tells you to find "opencl.dll" in the Resolve folder and rename it to "openncl.dll" (adding another "n" so the program will not find it). Run Resolve again and this time it will run (no error messages). That's it! Then it works!

The Blackmagic Design programmers really need a flogging for not fixing such a nonsensical code error, which prevents untold numbers of potential users from getting hooked on their software. Then again it is buggy software -- meaning you can't do anything you want. You must "learn" what it can do, and do only that. Anything else produces wrong results, or it crashes. (For "free" we can't complain too loudly, I guess.) *rolleyes*
DRbackagain! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 21:03   #16  |  Link
Cary Knoop
Cary Knoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Current versions of DaVinci Resolve (14/15) appear to be incompatible with Windows 7 now, they use an API which requires at least Windows 8.1 or even 10 (with the result that "the procedure entry point DeleteCriticalSection could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll" under Windows 7, while this entry point exists in api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-1-0.dll).

An older version of Resolve may still work under Windows 7. But is there any known archive for them? The BlackMagic website offers only the latest free edition.
This is a self-created problem. Why still running windows 7, a version that is officially end-of-life?
It was released 11 years ago for crying out loud.

DaVinci Resolve is professional software, run it with the latest stable version of the OS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRbackagain! View Post
The Blackmagic Design programmers really need a flogging for not fixing such a nonsensical code error, which prevents untold numbers of potential users from getting hooked on their software. Then again it is buggy software -- meaning you can't do anything you want. You must "learn" what it can do, and do only that. Anything else produces wrong results, or it crashes. (For "free" we can't complain too loudly, I guess.) *rolleyes*
This is surreal why would they want to support a past end-of-life platform?

The mistake is on people who get stuck in the past.

Last edited by Cary Knoop; 29th July 2020 at 23:02.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2020, 02:30   #17  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Yeah IMO it's entirely unreasonable to expect a vendor like BlackMagic Design to support Windows 7 for something like a modern NLE. Do you expect them to support XP still?

Professional content creation should be happening on modern, supported systems - if nothing else for security reasons. Bleeding edge Windows 10 release? No. The latest known stable and widely released version? Yes.

Feel free to keep using the old version, but you're on your own. You really can't fault BMD for deprecating support for such an old OS. It costs money to support old OSs due to QA requirements and probably a lot of crufty code to maintain. They decided it was no longer worth spending those resources, and that was a good decision.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2020, 09:16   #18  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@Cary Knoop:

Apropos "stuck in the past" ... this thread was started in 2018. In the meantime, the relevant person was able to spare enough money to afford a new PC. No more reason for blaming the poor.

New German Gleitz board
Old 13th September 2020, 08:48   #19  |  Link
Ghitulescu

The only real threat to an OS comes from internet.
The good old practice required that such systems, used for professional work, NEVER be in contact with internet (or infected media).