Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 5th June 2010, 20:20   #1  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v24.0.0 released

Note: The latest release is v25.0.0. Yes, that's in a new thread.

Hey,

I've released mkvtoolnix v4.0.0. This release features full support for the WebM variant of the Matroska container format, VP8 video tracks, the IVF container format. It also contains a new translation into Dutch.

There are two changes for package maintainers: 1. the new translation I've mentioned and 2. mkvtoolnix requires the new releases libebml v1.0.0 and libmatroska v1.0.0 available at http://dl.matroska.org Both libraries are not binary-compatible with earlier releases, but they're source-compatible. These libraries are only needed if you want to compile your own package. You do not need them if you're using one of the binary ones.

Here are the usual links...

...to the home page:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

...to the source code:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-4.0.0.tar.bz2

...to the Windows installer and 7zip archive:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....0.0-setup.exe
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...icode-4.0.0.7z

All binaries that I provide myself have already been uploaded.

Here's the full ChangeLog since release 3.4.0:

------------------------------------------------------------
2010-06-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v4.0.0.
* build: Building mkvtoolnix now requires libebml v1.0.0 and libmatroska v1.0.0 or later.

2010-06-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* all command line tools: bug fix: Fixed the output of eastern languages like Japanese or Chinese under cmd.exe on Windows.

2010-06-03 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: new feature: Added the estimated remaining time to the mux and job dialogs.

2010-05-31 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* all: Added a translation of the programs into Dutch by Ren?? Maassen (see AUTHORS).

2010-05-28 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvextract: feature removal: Removed support for extracting FLAC tracks into Ogg FLAC files. Instead they're always written into raw FLAC files. The option "--no-ogg" has been removed as well.
* mkvmerge: feature removal: Removed support for the FLAC library older than v1.1.1.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed support for reading FLAC tracks from Ogg files following the FLAC-in-Ogg-mapping established with FLAC v1.1.1. Fix for bug 488.

2010-05-27 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: The "mkvmerge executable" input in the preferences dialog is not read-only anymore. Final part of a fix for bug 490.
* mmg: bug fix: mmg will output a warning if it is used with a mkvmerge executable whose version differs from mmg's version. Part of a fix for bug 490.
* mmg: bug fix: If adding a file fails mkvmerge's error message will be shown in a scrollable dialog instead of a normal message box. Part of a fix for bug 490.
* mmg: Added 'IVF' files to the list of known input file types.
* mkvmerge: Added support for reading IVF files with VP8 video tracks.
* mkvextract: Added support for extracting VP8 video tracks into IVF files.

2010-05-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge, mkvinfo, mkvextract: bug fix: Fixed handling of clusters missing a cluster timecode element.
* mkvinfo GUI: bug fix: Frames for simple blocks were shown at the wrong place in the element tree.

2010-05-23 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge, mkvextract: Fixed handling of clusters with an unknown size.

2010-05-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvinfo: bug fix: Fixed handling clusters with an unknown size.
* mkvinfo: new feature: Added an option ("-z" / "--size") for displaying each element's size property. Elements with an unknown/infinite size are shown as "size is unknown".

2010-05-21 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: new feature: Added a checkbox for enabling "WebM" mode. This will also enable the same limitations that mkvmerge enables: Only VP8 and Vorbis tracks, no chapters, no tags. The output file name extension will be changed to ".webm" upon enabling the mode.

2010-05-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: change: mkvmerge will not write track header elements whose actual value equals their default value anymore.

2010-05-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Neither chapters nor tags will be written to WebM compliant files. Warnings are issued if chapters or tags are found and not disabled.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Matroska files without clusters are accepted as valid input files again.
* mmg: enhancement: Added "WebM" with the extension "webm" to the list of known file types.
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for muxing VP8 video tracks.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: mkvmerge will no longer put all clusters into a meta seek element resulting in smaller file size. The parameter "--no-clusters-in-meta-seek" has been renamed to "--clusters-in-meta-seek" and its meaning reverted.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: WebM compatibility mode will be turned on automatically if the output file name's extension is '.webm', '.webma' or '.webmv'.
* mkvinfo GUI: enhancement: Added "webm" to the list of known file name extensions for WebM files both for the "Open file" dialog and the drag & drop support.

2010-05-17 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added options "--webm"/"--web-media" that enable the WebM compatibility mode. In this mode only Vorbis audio tracks and VP8 video tracks are allowed. Neither chapters nor tracks are allowed. The DocType element is set to "webm".
* mkvinfo GUI: bug fix: Opening more than one file without restarting mkvinfo GUI could result in wrong timecodes due to variables not being reinitialized.

2010-05-16 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvinfo: bug fix: Binary elements shorter than 10 bytes were not output correctly.

2010-05-15 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Build system: bug fix: The man page installation process only installed the English originals instead of the Japanese and Chinese translations.
------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.

Last edited by Mosu; 12th July 2018 at 20:22.
Old 5th June 2010, 20:33   #2  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
mkvextract: feature removal: Removed support for extracting FLAC tracks into Ogg FLAC files. Instead they're always written into raw FLAC files
Ohh finaly! I hate that oggflac so much!

Anyway, thanks for the new version. Congratulations with yet another major release!
Old 5th June 2010, 23:13   #3  |  Link
rica

Thanks mosu.

Does it give thd+ac3 support?
Old 5th June 2010, 23:30   #4  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

If you mean that it keeps the AC3 core then no. And don't hold your breath; I won't implement such a feature.

Old 5th June 2010, 23:42   #5  |  Link
rica

Quote:
If you mean that it keeps the AC3 core then no. And don't hold your breath; I won't implement such a feature.
Thx for the quick response but why not?
Old 5th June 2010, 23:46   #6  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Because in Matroska you have one codec per track, not two. If you need something like that you'll have to use MPEG TS or some other muxer that allows this. mkvmerge won't.

Old 6th June 2010, 00:04   #7  |  Link
rica

So this feature request must be made to Haali or whatever?
Old 6th June 2010, 05:00   #8  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Thanks for the new version!

Quote:
Because in Matroska you have one codec per track, not two. If you need something like that you'll have to use MPEG TS or some other muxer that allows this. mkvmerge won't.
A DTS-MA track ripped from a blu-ray disk works fine, and has a dts core.
Old 6th June 2010, 08:27   #9  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

DTS-HD master audio is different from TrueHD+AC3. With DTS-HD the "master audio" part is actually only the difference between the lossy core and the lossless original. Therefore a decoder needs both the core and the HD part in order to decode losslessly.

With TrueHD+AC3 this is not the case. The TrueHD is completely decodable on its own without the AC3 part.

Old 6th June 2010, 16:21   #10  |  Link
b66pak

thanks a lot...
_
Old 7th June 2010, 14:54   #11  |  Link
D.A.S.

Peoples, this is just I have a problem with the flags in version 4.0?
Returned 3.4.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:18   #12  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvmerge 4.0.0 does NOT write default values in the headers anymore. Default values are a feature that the Matroska specifications have had since the beginning (2002). For example, the default value for the track language is "eng" (English). Therefore this value will not be written to the headers if its actual value is "eng".

Any player still having problems dealing with this should be fixed. Those are bugs in the reading application (player), not the in the writing application (mkvmerge).

Old 7th June 2010, 16:32   #13  |  Link
D.A.S.

Hmm...

For example, have the video stream and audio stream, and 2 versions of the subtitles, "eng" and "rus", I point "rus" subtitles to be - default.
Then after muxing and adding created file to Mkvmegre GUI displays all streams in default track flag - no.
This is normal right? >_<

Last edited by D.A.S.; 7th June 2010 at 16:42.
Old 7th June 2010, 16:35   #14  |  Link
Abradoks

Quote:
mkvmerge 4.0.0 does NOT write default values in the headers anymore. Default values are a feature that the Matroska specifications have had since the beginning (2002). For example, the default value for the track language is "eng" (English). Therefore this value will not be written to the headers if its actual value is "eng".
While you are technically right, IMO not setting "eng" code is wrong.
1) Such meta information should be set explicitly. Defaulting to "eng" in standard is very arguable.
2) It's not default value in mkvmerge. When user explicitly sets this parameter he obviously wants it to be in the file. As I understand, now there is no way to write language value as "eng".
3) You are breaking compliance without reason.
So please revert this change. When user specifies some parameter it should be written to the file. Or am I missing something?
Old 7th June 2010, 16:40   #15  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I'm not reverting the change. The specifications state explicitely that in case of an absent element its default value must be used instead. I'm not breaking compliance, I'm forcing others to fix their bugs.

Quote:
For example, have the video stream and audio stream, and 2 versions of the subtitles, "eng" and "rus", I point "rus" subtitles to be - default.
Then after muxing and adding to Mkvmegre GUI displays all streams in default track flag - no.
That's indeed a bug in mkvmerge's handling of the files. I'll fix it.

Old 7th June 2010, 16:54   #16  |  Link
D.A.S.

Also, in a small confusion regarding the present editing the header using the header editor.
Old 7th June 2010, 18:05   #17  |  Link
Abradoks

Quote:
I'm not reverting the change. The specifications state explicitely that in case of an absent element its default value must be used instead. I'm not breaking compliance, I'm forcing others to fix their bugs.
You are not breaking spec compliance, you are breaking compliance with some players. Of course those players should be fixed. But old behavior of mkvtoolnix was spec compliant too and it wasn't causing any problems.
Also, current behavior is unexpected and limiting. Specs don't say you shouldn't write "eng" value. Those defaults are for playback applications, not for muxers. It can be changed to "und" at any time (and that would be reasonable).
Old 7th June 2010, 18:10   #18  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

If I change back then app developers will have no reason to fix their broken implementations -- again. I'm sorry, I won't change it back.

Old 7th June 2010, 18:39   #19  |  Link
Abradoks

Quote:
If I change back then app developers will have no reason to fix their broken implementations -- again.
Why do you care? There are many more important bugs and missing features in current implementations. This one doesn't make any sense. It was artificially raised by you.
Its even more logical to display "Not specified" instead of "English" when language tag isn't presented (but it's spec issue).
Nevertheless, you could just add something like "--language 0" meaning "don't write this tag". And if you want so much to break other apps you could specify it as default for "--default-language". That will be logical and won't remove functionality.
Old 7th June 2010, 18:45   #20  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I'm not discussing this any more. Sorry.

BTW: A few years ago there has already been exactly the same situation. mkvmerge switched to not writing the default values, users complained, I switched back. Obviously nothing changed on the playback side, so I'm upping the pressure on the others a bit now. I don't believe in "compatibility above everything else". With other specs people are very quick to blame the readers if they don't comply, while with Matroska everyone expects the muxers to circumvent bugs in the players. I want that to change.

Last edited by Mosu; 7th June 2010 at 18:49.
Closed Thread