Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th April 2019, 16:20   #56041  |  Link
el Filou

Ah you're right, it seems to clock at 1905-1920 MHz. Still, 30% faster is doable then, but I'd be very surprised if it was more than that.
Old 29th April 2019, 20:09   #56042  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
However, if I use madLevelsTweaker or NV_RGBFullRangeToggle to force PC Levels, I get heavy banding with exactly the same settings/chain
What's your reason for using this with an Nvidia card/driver that can already do this by itself? Confuses me almost as much as the Quadro modding, which you felt shouldn't be discussed in here. I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear of ways to improve our viewing experience
Old 29th April 2019, 20:18   #56043  |  Link
el Filou

Nothing, it's snake oil at least for madVR and all other consumer apps.
Old 29th April 2019, 20:53   #56044  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
What's your reason for using this with an Nvidia card/driver that can already do this by itself? Confuses me almost as much as the Quadro modding, which you felt shouldn't be discussed in here. I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear of ways to improve our viewing experience
Nvidia with it's default settings uses Limited, but with using either tool I mentioned, it's default changes to full.

As for the Quadro vs Geforce debate, well, plenty of places out there for that.
Old 29th April 2019, 21:03   #56045  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Nvidia with it's default settings uses Limited, but with using either tool I mentioned, it's default changes to full.
But why not just change it in the control panel?
Old 29th April 2019, 21:08   #56046  |  Link
katodevin

Just wanted to report in that the new Nvidia driver does not fix stuttering issues with Turing cards (specifically 1660), but may lessen frequency. Was able to watch 2-3 movies since throwing my 1660 back into my system with new drivers (drivers cleaned between swaps). When watching GoT (not even 4k) last night, stutters came back about halfway through. Switched over to the Plex player and finished watching the episode.

Power management set to adaptive in control panel.

Putting my 1060 back into the system. I'd advise against anyone buying a Turing card with the expectation of using it with MadVR/MPC.
katodevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 21:12   #56047  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
But why not just change it in the control panel?
With the newer Nvidia drivers, selecting 12bit does not survive a reboot, as it reverts to 8bit. If, however, you force PC levels (on previous drivers), and leave it at default, using DSplayer with Madvr in FSE it then outputs 12bit in every refresh that supports 12bit (everything below 30hrz) in Full range.

But, like I mentioned, something has changed in the new drivers (WDDM 2.6 perhaps?) that then results in very bad banding (Spears_Munsil_Quantazation_Test_2160p becomes a banding mess, for example), even though Madvr reports Full Range 12bit using this previous successful workaround.

Hope that makes sense.

Update - thrown the towel in on the latest driver and went back to one of the latest WDDM 2.5 drivers, for now.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 29th April 2019 at 22:17.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 21:52   #56048  |  Link
famasfilms

Was this week's Game of Thrones highly pixelated/blocky for anyone else?

Is there a way to fix that?
famasfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 21:55   #56049  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by famasfilms View Post
Was this week's Game of Thrones highly pixelated/blocky for anyone else?

Is there a way to fix that?
there's alot of banding in the dark sky/ gradients.
Old 29th April 2019, 23:09   #56050  |  Link
SamuriHL

That episode really requires a proper UHD release. We should see one this summer and we can revisit it then. For streaming it was brutal. I did not run it through madvr though.
Old 29th April 2019, 23:17   #56051  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The overall dark setting doesn't really play well with typical encode settings. HDR probably wouldn't really help either, since HDR grading is usually very careful to not do it too dark, since todays TVs screw that up easily. A properly encoded 10-bit SDR video might be nice (to resolve low-light banding), but thats not something anyone does.

Of course a properly graded HDR source woule be nice as well, madVR can map that to our displays just fine. But as said above, TV built-in tonemapping might screw that up easily, so they might be careful to use such dark HDR grading.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 29th April 2019 at 23:39.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 23:55   #56052  |  Link
katodevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
That episode really requires a proper UHD release. We should see one this summer and we can revisit it then. For streaming it was brutal. I did not run it through madvr though.
I ran an amazon version through madvr. It was still really bad. I may be out of the loop, where would a summer UHD release come from? Last I did any research, only season 1 has come out with UHD thus far.
Old 30th April 2019, 00:01   #56053  |  Link
tp4tissue

If they gave us 20mbit, probably wouldn't have this problem, But I'm guessing they clamped it to account for simultaneous peak bandwidth from millions of viewers.
Old 30th April 2019, 00:09   #56054  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah 7Mbps doesn't cut it. I read about the issues before playback and took a look, enabled deband on and it was watchable for me but honestly you cannot really fix a sky with three color bands xD
Really disliking how streaming sites aren't offering high quality. They could easily double their bit rate without any significant issues for consumers IMO.
Someone really needs to push this so the rest follow otherwise we'll get this quality for another 5-10 years..

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th April 2019 at 00:12.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2019, 00:13   #56055  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
They could easily double their bit rate without any significant issues for consumers IMO.
Its not about helping consumers. Bandwidth is expensive.

Amazon used to have really high quality encodes, best of all streaming sites, but sometimes in the last 18 months or so they cut it down, so now its just middle of the pack.
Unfortunately one service pushing quality does nothing, since they don't compete on quality. Most content is only available at one service, as such content is the driving factor, not quality.

Can hope they make a high-quality Blu-ray release from this. Perhaps UHD right away, if we're lucky.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th April 2019 at 00:20.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2019, 00:23   #56056  |  Link
hotripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodevin View Post
Just wanted to report in that the new Nvidia driver does not fix stuttering issues with Turing cards (specifically 1660), but may lessen frequency. Was able to watch 2-3 movies since throwing my 1660 back into my system with new drivers (drivers cleaned between swaps). When watching GoT (not even 4k) last night, stutters came back about halfway through. Switched over to the Plex player and finished watching the episode.

Power management set to adaptive in control panel.

Putting my 1060 back into the system. I'd advise against anyone buying a Turing card with the expectation of using it with MadVR/MPC.
I have not read all your posts, but have you tried my workaround?

Set LAV to DXVA2 copy-back
Set Madvr to present 1 frame in advance for Exclusive Mode

It's the only thing that works for me every time.
Old 30th April 2019, 00:51   #56057  |  Link
katodevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotripper View Post
I have not read all your posts, but have you tried my workaround?

Set LAV to DXVA2 copy-back
Set Madvr to present 1 frame in advance for Exclusive Mode

It's the only thing that works for me every time.
I really avoid exclusive mode. I'll give it a shot before pulling this card out though. Thanks for the advice. Kinda infuriating that these fancy new cards are having issues with relatively simple video playback. And it is even more infuriating that the issue pops up seemingly randomly.
Old 30th April 2019, 00:55   #56058  |  Link
el Filou

Sorry for the OT but anyone else reading so many comments from people saying they couldn't see anything in this episode of GoT thought "calibrate your displays!!! "
(well, I bet most people are watching this on TN laptop panels...)
Old 30th April 2019, 01:02   #56059  |  Link
hotripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodevin View Post
I really avoid exclusive mode. I'll give it a shot before pulling this card out though. Thanks for the advice. Kinda infuriating that these fancy new cards are having issues with relatively simple video playback. And it is even more infuriating that the issue pops up seemingly randomly.
YES!!! Exactly the issues I was having till I I found the workaround.

TBH I was going crazy thinking I was alone with the issue
Old 30th April 2019, 01:05   #56060  |  Link
katodevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotripper View Post
YES!!! Exactly the issues I was having till I I found the workaround.

TBH I was going crazy thinking I was alone with the issue
Yeah, I'm really surprised that more ppl aren't complaining. You and I need to create a private support group for emotional feedback. hahah.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling