Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 5th May 2019, 14:01   #1  |  Link
HH2

BD Rebuilder start-up problem

For the last couple weeks every time I try to open BD Rebuilder, I get the following error;

System error &H80004023 (-2147467229). A Microsoft installer error was encountered.

I have spent a lot of time on the phone with Microsoft and could not fix the problem. This error does not happen with any other applications on my computer.

I have nowhere else to turn but ask the gang of experts on this forum for some advice. I hope I am not violating any forum rules with my ask for advice on this problem.
HH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019, 22:20   #2  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

A quick google search gave me this from the MS community..

Quote:
This error might be a result of some issues with the Windows Installer service or it might be an issue with the package that you have downloaded. So, I would suggest you to try downloading the package again and then try installing it.

Let’s try some troubleshooting steps and check if that helps:

Method 1: Check the Windows Installer Service and also unregister and re-register the Windows Installer

Step 1: Check the Windows Installer Service

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “R” and type “service.msc”

b) In the “Service” window scroll down and find the “Windows Installer” service. Double-click “Windows Installer” in the Services list to open its properties window.

c) On the “General” tab, make sure the service is started under “Service status”.

d) If the service was stopped, under “Service status”, then start the service by clicking on the “Start” button, and then click “OK”.

Step 2: Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “R” to open the Run Command Window.

b) In the run command window type the following command and click on “Ok”.

MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER

c) Press “Windows Logo” + “R” to open the Run Command Window again.

d) In the run command window type the following command and click on “Ok”.

MSIEXEC /REGSERVER

e) Now, try installing the package again and check.
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019, 23:26   #3  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH2 View Post
For the last couple weeks every time I try to open BD Rebuilder, I get the following error;

[B]System error &H80004023 (-2147467229).
Did you run the "REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT" as described in the first post of this thread?
Old 6th May 2019, 12:37   #4  |  Link
HH2

Thanks for the input, I tried all the above and the problem is the same. My computer would not run, REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT
Old 6th May 2019, 13:46   #5  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

It could be a problem with virtual filepath.. In what directory is BDRB installed? Is REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT run as admin from within the same directory? I know some user sometime ago reported a problem with the REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT in regard to virtual filepath and posted a solution in the bug thread.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...27#post1853027
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...94#post1853094
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...04#post1853104

Hope it helps

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 12:35   #6  |  Link
HH2

Thanks for the suggestions, I will work on this later today or tomorrow. It sure looks that the first link is relating to the same problem.
Old 7th May 2019, 16:29   #7  |  Link
manolito

I do not use BD-RB, but AVStoDVD is also written in VB6 and also needs a correctly registered mscomctl.ocx. And Win10 users had the same problem which you are experiencing.

The problem is that the included REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT file is not smart enough for Win10. A while ago I made an improved version for AVStoDVD which should also work for BD-RB. Download here:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/2iwmqm

I included a newer version of the OCX file, but generally the older file which comes with BD-RB should work under Win10.

Just place the ocx file and the batch file in the same folder and double-click the batch file.

This batch file will not delete mscomctl.ocx in one of the Windows system folders. If there is already an incompatible or faulty ocx present in System32 or SysWOW64 then these files will be kept. This means that after executing the batch it could happen that BD-RB will still refuse to start. In this case you have to delete all previous versions of the mscomctl.ocx file from your system folders and then execute the batch file again.

Good luck
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 7th May 2019 at 16:38.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 18:43   #8  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

It's smart enough just fine. Rightclick bat file > run as admin > done
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 20:03   #9  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
It's smart enough just fine. Rightclick bat file > run as admin > done
No, it is not...

Maybe take a look at these posts:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...94#post1853094
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...04#post1853104

If you are interested what triggered my batch script, look here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...27#post1829727

Whatever, after this script was integrated into AVStoDVD nobody ever complained again about problems with mscomctl.ocx.
Old 12th May 2019, 14:26   #10  |  Link
HH2

I tried the bolded below but really don't understand how to modify the path, etc;

So its probably better to open an Administrative CMD prompt (Start -> Windows System -> right click on CMD Prompt -> More -> Run As Administrator)... When it launches, while in the window change to the BD-Rebuilder directory, and run the batch file from there (that is where the BAT file and the OCX file reside).... OR edit the BAT file, specify the path to the OCX file... then save/run it.

I always get the same error as stated at the beginning of my post (ref. above).
Old 12th May 2019, 17:35   #11  |  Link
gonca

Have you tried manolito's bat file? It might work
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 11:42   #12  |  Link
HH2

I have not tried it yet, not sure of the process, I need a more detailed explanation.
Old 13th May 2019, 17:17   #13  |  Link
manolito

What exactly is not clear to you?

The archive contains the files REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT and mscomctl.ocx. The ocx file is just a newer version of the file which comes with BD-RB, it should not be needed.

All you have to do is extract REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT into your BD-RB folder (where the original file by jdobbs is located) overwriting the original file. Then right-click the BAT file and run it as an administrator.

Only if this does not work the following applies:
Quote:
If there is already an incompatible or faulty ocx present in System32 or SysWOW64 then these files will be kept. This means that after executing the batch it could happen that BD-RB will still refuse to start. In this case you have to delete all previous versions of the mscomctl.ocx file from your system folders and then execute the batch file again.
Fire up Explorer, select the Windows\System32 folder and look for mscomctl.ocx. If you find the file, delete it. Do the same thing for the Windows\SysWOW64 folder. Finally run the REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT file again.
Old 16th May 2019, 14:21   #14  |  Link
HH2

Sorry, I still don't understand the steps to take, I apologize, I'm not very technical.

When I extract BD_RBV06004.zip, I get the following;

Misc File folder
Tools file folder
BDRD.exe
CHANGES.TXT
HIDDENOPTS.TXT
LICENSE.TXT
MSVOMCTL.OCX
README.TXT
REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT

When I right click REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT and choose, Run as Admin, I get the following error;
The module, MSCOMCTL.OCX failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent.DLL files.
The specified module could not be found.

There is also an open window that reads, C:\WINDOWS\system32>regsvr32 MSCOMCTL.OCX
Note: My zip file is extracted on my D drive
Old 16th May 2019, 17:14   #15  |  Link
manolito

In this BD-RB folder DO NOT use the original file REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT. Instead you need to download this file:

Then extract my version of REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT from this file into the BD-RB folder overwriting the existing file. Finally run the batch file.

(maybe turn off your Antivirus software temporarily before running the batch file).
Old 17th May 2019, 13:15   #16  |  Link
HH2

Fixed it, thanks manolito for all your advice, I really appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17th May 2019, 13:30   #17  |  Link
manolito

Good to hear that it worked...

@jdobbs
Maybe you could include my version of REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT in your BD-RB distribution. It was tested by MrC and others up to Win10 with UAC turned on.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 17th May 2019 at 18:56.
Old 17th May 2019, 15:26   #18  |  Link
HH2

And I have Windows 10 as well, everything works great for the first time in a month (after the installation of Office 365 a month ago, not sure if that caused the problem, but problem began around the time of 365 install)

Last edited by HH2; 18th May 2019 at 12:29.
Old 19th August 2019, 07:32   #19  |  Link
Lstew

Need Manolito's version of REG_MSCOMCTL>BAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
In this BD-RB folder DO NOT use the original file REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT. Instead you need to download this file:

Then extract my version of REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT from this file into the BD-RB folder overwriting the existing file. Finally run the batch file.

(maybe turn off your Antivirus software temporarily before running the batch file).
I've got the same problem that I suspect would be fixed with the use of Manolito's version of REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT . Any chance someone could point me to where I might find that? The sendspace link has expired. Thanks!
Lstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2019, 04:30   #20  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstew View Post
I've got the same problem that I suspect would be fixed with the use of Manolito's version of REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT . Any chance someone could point me to where I might find that? The sendspace link has expired. Thanks!
do as I suggested here -> https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...94#post1853094 (also linked earlier in this thread)

Just edit the bat file included in BD-RB...

Change...
Code:
regsvr32 MSCOMCTL.OCX
to
Code:
regsvr32 c:\bd-rb\MSCOMCTL.OCX
where c:\bd-rb\ is the drive and folder where the bat file and ocx file reside. Save it, and right click/run as administrator.

OR

Find Command Prompt on your start menu (usually under the Windows System group), right click it and run as administrator. While in the window, change to the drive and folder containing the BAT and OCX files, and run the bat file.

Another way is to just copy the OCX and BAT files from BD-RB folder into c:\windows\system32 folder and run the bat file as admin.
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote