Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th December 2017, 12:14   #47681  |  Link
Backflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
I do not think you will see any difference with a 404p source, but NGU in gamma light appears generally very slightly sharper than NGU in gamma-linear light and the edges thinner.
Sometimes NGU gamma-linear light is sharper on some edges, but also "wrong" most of the time and/or unnatural on those edges, so I used "soften edges" before to try to get rid of them and to smoothen edges with aliasing too.
Not needed anymore with NGU in gamma light.
@madshi
400p example is for RCA+NGU only. I don't use RCA on 720p or higher.
I despise soften edges on any source. Why do you run NGU Sharp if you don't like sharpness?
I don't care if it's wrong, what I care about if it doesn't blur my image in places where I focus my view. And adjusted NGU Sharp seems slightly off to me.
It's pure preference thing and how my eyes work, NGU Standard/AA shouldn't have this problem to begin with.
Backflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 13:30   #47682  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
Why do you run NGU Sharp if you don't like sharpness?
You can always have more sharpness, but it comes with a cost.
I do like sharpness, but not for instance the ugly aliasing artifacts that come with it (with the linear-gamma NGU).
I did a comparison a while back : https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...66#post1804766
Soften edges was used to try to get rid of that and other ugly edges, but it was not perfect and I do not use it anymore with the NGU in gamma light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
FYI, the new "remove compression artifacts can now be run as part of NGU" feature comes with a new option called "run as part of NGU, if possible", which allows you to turn this feature on/off. Ideally, I'd like to remove this new option and *always* run RCA as part of NGU, where possible. But I wanted to give you the chance to test both approaches to see if running both separately might be better for images quality or not. So please do test that and report back.
Running RCA separately from NGU performs better quality wise, but I think it is expected. The algo when running it as a part of NGU is less aggressive too. I think RCA as part of NGU is "good enough" to be activated by default if possible, but it would be nice to be able to run it separately by disabling this behavior on the "trade quality for performance" page (because it is just what it does: trade quality for performance).

The difference between "medium" and "high" quality is minimal in comparison.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 15th December 2017 at 23:37.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 14:14   #47683  |  Link
Backflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
but it comes with a cost.
True. What i'm trying to say that this cost is okay for me personally, I get why you don't like it. I would like "NGU Sharp" to stay ridiculous option for weirdos like me.
Backflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 14:34   #47684  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Just to report that I got build 1709 installed today, and everything is working fine with 385.28. MadVR switches in and out of HDR automatically, the OS HDR switch remains off, so that's a known working config. I was even able to reinstall WMC 8.8.1, so fairly painless after all.

I'll report if I hit any problems, but right now that seems fine. I won't try to upgrade the driver unless someone reports that a more recent version works fine with 1709.

EDIT: forgot to say that 4K23p with a MadVR custom res still works fine with one frame drop every hour or so (vs every 5mn without the custom res). So as far as I can see there is no reason not to upgrade to Falls Creators Update as long as you stay with 385.28 for nVidia. This was with the latest MadVR 0.92.10.
i couldnt get a custom res dialled in at all so i was stuck on frame drops every few mins, when i clicked "TEST" it looked ok, 23.976 was in there but when I looked at it again using edit it had reverted to 24.000, did this every time, gave up in the end, other people are also having same issue, is there a drive version this definately works on?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 14:51   #47685  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
True. What i'm trying to say that this cost is okay for me personally, I get why you don't like it. I would like "NGU Sharp" to stay ridiculous option for weirdos like me.
Well you can have the same sharpness now (or more) with NGU in gamma light, without the aliasing. And you can always use some upscaling refinements of you want even more sharpness, but I do not think more sharpness is needed in NGU itself.

In this matter, NGU Sharp + RCA make a lot of sense, because compression artifacts are much more visible when upscaling with NGU Sharp than NGU Standard for instance.
Unfortunately, RCA can not always be enabled (you will loose details on sources that do not need it) and there is no way (for now) to detect if a source needs it or not.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 12th December 2017 at 15:16.
Old 12th December 2017, 15:03   #47686  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
i couldnt get a custom res dialled in at all so i was stuck on frame drops every few mins, when i clicked "TEST" it looked ok, 23.976 was in there but when I looked at it again using edit it had reverted to 24.000, did this every time, gave up in the end, other people are also having same issue, is there a drive version this definately works on?
This has been reported a long time ago and is not a problem.

When you create a custom res with MadVR for 23p, the 24p option disappears from the driver in the drop-down list for refresh rate, and the custom res created is listed as 24p in the driver, but in reality, it's a 23p refresh.

So if you select 23p (with MadVR's auto refresh rate or with any software, for example, MyMovies), it's the 23p custom res (listed as 3840x2160, progressive with a 24p refresh rate in the driver) that will be applied. This is an interface bug in the driver, it has no effect in reality.

When this custom res is applied, I play all my 23p content at 23p and I have one frame drop every hour on my JVC.

You have to use 385.28. Any more recent version of the nVidia driver has a problem or another with Windows 10.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 12th December 2017 at 15:07.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 15:20   #47687  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
This has been reported a long time ago and is not a problem.

When you create a custom res with MadVR for 23p, the 24p option disappears from the driver in the drop-down list for refresh rate, and the custom res created is listed as 24p in the driver, but in reality, it's a 23p refresh.

So if you select 23p (with MadVR's auto refresh rate or with any software, for example, MyMovies), it's the 23p custom res (listed as 3840x2160, progressive with a 24p refresh rate in the driver) that will be applied. This is an interface bug in the driver, it has no effect in reality.

When this custom res is applied, I play all my 23p content at 23p and I have one frame drop every hour on my JVC.

You have to use 385.28. Any more recent version of the nVidia driver has a problem or another with Windows 10.
I dont think this is the same issue, i'll explain exactly what happens.

I fill in in like this:

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/da...4_Capture.jpeg

I then click TEST and save it.

When I edit it to check it, it looks like this

http://videoff7.free.fr/1920x1080_24hz.jpg

I cant get it to save it as 23.976 which is why I cant get any better than a few mins, other people on NVIDIA forums have said the same thing, if I'm doing something wrong i'd be chuffed to bits If I could fix this so I could scrap my RX550 and its hanging issues,

What do you think i'm doing wrong then?
Old 12th December 2017, 20:15   #47688  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
I dont think this is the same issue, i'll explain exactly what happens.

I fill in in like this:

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/da...4_Capture.jpeg

I then click TEST and save it.

When I edit it to check it, it looks like this

http://videoff7.free.fr/1920x1080_24hz.jpg

I cant get it to save it as 23.976 which is why I cant get any better than a few mins, other people on NVIDIA forums have said the same thing, if I'm doing something wrong i'd be chuffed to bits If I could fix this so I could scrap my RX550 and its hanging issues,

What do you think i'm doing wrong then?
What you're doing wrong is you're not using MadVR to create the custom res. You need to follow the doc and use the custom modes in display modes for your display in MadVR settings.
Old 12th December 2017, 20:19   #47689  |  Link
strumf666

HDR works on AMD. At least on Vega with today's crimson adrenalin drivers on fall's creators update, using PotPlayer.
Switching and playback, lav needs to be set to DXVA2 copyback or native d3d11 doesn't work. Not 100% stable though, switching between hdr and sdr (stopping playback or minimizing from fullscreen) can lock the player and/or os.

Last edited by strumf666; 12th December 2017 at 22:01.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 21:37   #47690  |  Link
HillieSan

I have 100% stable results with LAV set to 3d311 and madvr set to 3d311 presentation on AMD RX 480 with latest MPC BE. I will install adrenalin soon and see what happens.

BTW FSE does not work for GNU, but does work for the other algorithms.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 22:05   #47691  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
What you're doing wrong is you're not using MadVR to create the custom res. You need to follow the doc and use the custom modes in display modes for your display in MadVR settings.
I had completely missed that, to be fair i[ve been using AMD for years so never had to use this, i might have a look at that then, cheers.
Old 12th December 2017, 22:16   #47692  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
HDR works on AMD. At least on Vega with today's crimson adrenalin drivers on fall's creators update, using PotPlayer.
Switching and playback, lav needs to be set to DXVA2 copyback or native d3d11 doesn't work. Not 100% stable though, switching between hdr and sdr (stopping playback or minimizing from fullscreen) can lock the player and/or os.
Hi, HDR is pretty stable on 17.11.2, starts, stops and skips no crashes.

however this might also be because MADVr doesnt have to switch resolutions as all of my HDR stuff is 4k the same as my desktop, most if not all my hangs happen when my player, KODI DS or MPC are jumping back from a 1080p movie back to my desktop 4k resolution.

When playing MVC 3D it hangs nearly every time if I play a 1080p movie straight from my 4k desktop using FSE, however if I drop my desktop down to 1080p so it doesnt have to switch... no crashes.

Pretty sure its the resolution change thats causing the crash.
Old 12th December 2017, 22:24   #47693  |  Link
cyber201

Quote:
Just to report that I got build 1709 installed today, and everything is working fine with 385.28. MadVR switches in and out of HDR automatically, the OS HDR switch remains off, so that's a known working config. I was even able to reinstall WMC 8.8.1, so fairly painless after all.

I'll report if I hit any problems, but right now that seems fine. I won't try to upgrade the driver unless someone reports that a more recent version works fine with 1709.

EDIT: forgot to say that 4K23p with a MadVR custom res still works fine with one frame drop every hour or so (vs every 5mn without the custom res). So as far as I can see there is no reason not to upgrade to Falls Creators Update as long as you stay with 385.28 for nVidia. This was with the latest MadVR 0.92.10.
Hi Manni,
With FCU have you the bug of the Full Screen Exclusive Mode?
A black screen when windows try to set the correct refresh rate.

Thanks
Bye
cyber201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 00:36   #47694  |  Link
mastrboy

So a weird bug appeared after updating my Nvidia Driver, the Nvidia Geforce Experience FPS counter is now displayed during madVR video playback, but only when Exclusive Mode is activated.

Anyone else experiencing this? Or maybe someone knows a quick fix/workaround?
Old 13th December 2017, 00:38   #47695  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
Hi Manni,
With FCU have you the bug of the Full Screen Exclusive Mode?
A black screen when windows try to set the correct refresh rate.

Thanks
Bye
I don't use FSE except for 3D, so I only did quick tests but in 4K23 everything played fine (I tested FHD and UHD content) with FSE enabled. I always have a black screen on my PJ when switching refresh rates, so you'll need someone else to confirm that bug.

3D still needs FSE here (it works otherwise but although the PJ reports 1080pFP and MadVR reports 3D, it's only 2D. I know some people don't need FSE even for 3D but here I've never been able to achieve that.

No problem with FSE enabled for 3D, except that I have a dropped frame every 3-5mn as it's not possible to set 1080p23FP separately when creating a custom frame, and for some reason WMC (I use MyMovies with WMC 8.8.1 as a front end) is windowed when I stop playback, but that has nothing to do with MadVR. I only have to maximise the window to make it full screen again.
Old 13th December 2017, 00:54   #47696  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.92.10 released
* default value for HDR -> SDR conversion is now set to "200 nits"
I have noticed that the minimal value is 120 and the maximal value is 10000, but what does it mean ? Do we have to adapt it depending on our monitor ? How do we find the right value ?
Old 13th December 2017, 01:02   #47697  |  Link
ryrynz

Look at the specs or a review of your monitor/TV. If you have a color calibration tool you can find out what the max is from that as it will change depending on the picture mode you set.
I would think most LCD screens would be set at the minimal of 120, but I did wonder why madshi increased it to 200, is that more suitable for the general viewer, madshi didn't say.
Set to 120 and compare with 200 and see what you prefer.. maybe this improved HDR behavior could be tied partially to the now default nit value?
I'm going to compare madVR versions and those two nit levels on my Dell U2415 and report back.

Madshi, each of the ax files have gained a few MB each, that expected?

200 nits looks a lot better here, "let madVR decide" under HDR for versions under 0.92.9 gives a pretty dull and washed out picture. Comparing 0.92.9 200 nits vs 0.92.10 "let madVR decide" look near visually identical so HDR improvements that have been made seem to be fairly minor improvements, but this as with anything could change depending on what's being viewed on what device. I used The World in HDR to test.

Last edited by ryrynz; 13th December 2017 at 01:22.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 02:33   #47698  |  Link
huhn

the default was 400, 600 or at least higher.

the LCD spec max brightness is a waste of time.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 02:44   #47699  |  Link
ryrynz

Do panels give any info about max nits that perhaps 'let madVR decide' can work with?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 02:48   #47700  |  Link
Asmodian

The default used to be 400. That is very bright for a SDR monitor, my last SDR calibration was at 103 nits for optimal dark room viewing but I like madVR set to 200 more than 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Do panels give any info about max nits that perhaps 'let madVR decide' can work with?
No they do not and you couldn't trust them if they did. Also the brightness setting directly controls this so everyone would have to have the screen set to 100% for it to be accurate

Last edited by Asmodian; 13th December 2017 at 02:52.
Asmodian is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling