Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 10th October 2015, 15:16   #1281  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
This doesn't exactly make me confident about the legality of that "service":
http://musicdatabase.co/page/about
Haha! Indeed very silly placeholder text But is this a real problem here? We only download 300x300 cover art not whole mp3 file For example mp3tag application uses Amazon.com as cover art source but in my opinion http://musicdatabase.co has higher quality images than amazon. Example

http://musicdatabase.co/artist/Adam_F/album/Colours

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 15:56   #1282  |  Link
jpsdr

Isn't "The Hoff" picture from the excellent Kung Fury ?
jpsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 18:08   #1283  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
Isn't "The Hoff" picture from the excellent Kung Fury ?
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Haha! Indeed very silly placeholder text But is this a real problem here? We only download 300x300 cover art not whole mp3 file
Well, unless they have official permission from the film and/or music studios to redistribute the cover artwork - and it doesn't exactly look to me like they have - they are moving on shaky ground. Remember how the once popular CDCovers.cc got shut down? Now, you could say that this is all their problem. But downloading stuff from an illegitimate source can lead to legal implications for the end-user as well. That's something I really don't want get involved with.

Furthermore, even if we leave the legal issues aside for now, what if they stop their service tomorrow for whatever reason? Sure, any "online" service may shut down tomorrow. But the chance that a big and well-recognized service stops their business all of a sudden is much lower. At the same time, making your software depend on some rather "dubious" service, like this one, is not what we want.

Last but not least, after a quick look at your code, it seems you are not even using an official API to fetch the covers. Instead, it looks to me like you are parsing their HTML code. So, even if we assume that this is a legitimate service, using the service in that way might easily be a violation of their ToS (Terms of Service). And, of course, you will have to constantly adapt your code to any change they make to their site. Again something we certainly don't want.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 10th October 2015 at 19:37.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 18:19   #1284  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.12 RC-2

Quote:
Changes between v4.11 and v4.12 [unreleased]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 with Update-5
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.7 Final (2015-05-25), compiled with MSVC 12.0
* Added Hungarian translation, contributed by Zityi's Translator Team <zityisoft@gmail.com>
* Added optional support for the libfdk-aac encoder, using the fdkaac front-end by nu774
* Added detection of the 64-Bit version of QAAC encoder, requires 64-Bit Apple Application Support
* Added enhanced file renaming option: Default file extensions can now be overwritten
* Added enhanced file renaming option: Files can now be renamed via the regular expression engine
* Added capability to select multiple files on "Source Files" tab
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.87 (2015-08-03), using libvorbis v1.3.5 and aoTuV b6.03_2015
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.76 (2015-08-06), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.22.4 (2015-08-12), compiled with GCC 5.1.0
* Updated ALAC decoder to refalac v1.47 (2015-02-15), based on reference implementation by Apple
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.16 (2015-03-24), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated WavPack decoder to v4.75.0 (2015-05-25), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated GnuPG to v1.4.19 (2015-02-27), compiled with GCC 4.9.2
* Fixed potential deadlock in Cue Sheet import dialog when "Browse..." button is clicked
* Fixed function to restore the default Temp folder, if custom Temp folder doesn't exist anymore
* Enable the embedding of cover artwork for Opus encoder (opusenc), using the --picture option
* Some installer improvements have been implemented (especially in "update" mode)
* Full support for Windows 10 RTM (Build #10240)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 17th October 2015 at 12:23.
Old 10th October 2015, 19:23   #1285  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

So how about this then https://musicbrainz.org/
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 19:26   #1286  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
So how about this then https://musicbrainz.org/
This looks like something we could actually use. Looks pretty serious to me (in existence since ~2000). And they have a proper REST-based API and even offer client-libraries in C/C++. Maybe I will have a look, when I have time
Old 11th October 2015, 15:32   #1287  |  Link
lethedoom

avast issue resolved now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Avast scans the RC2 exe and finds no problems. Windows 10 Home cautions but allows election to install.
lethedoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 15:21   #1288  |  Link
shmizan

Quote:
If you set "Position" to "Generate from list position" it does exactly what you describe: The file's "track number" will be set to the file's position on the list.

Set it to "Unspecified (copy from source)", if you wish to retain the "track number" stored in the original file - only works, if such info was present in the original file, of course!
Hi, I figured it out eventually, but thanks for the answer.
not used to being the one that can't find the settings, probably comes with age
shmizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 12:23   #1289  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.12 RC-3

Quote:
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.7 Final (2015-05-25), compiled with MSVC 12.0
* Added Hungarian translation, contributed by Zityi's Translator Team <zityisoft@gmail.com>
* Added optional support for the libfdk-aac encoder, using the fdkaac front-end by nu774
* Added detection of the 64-Bit version of QAAC encoder, requires 64-Bit Apple Application Support
* Added enhanced file renaming option: Default file extensions can now be overwritten
* Added enhanced file renaming option: Files can now be renamed via the regular expression engine
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.87 (2015-08-03), using libvorbis v1.3.5 and aoTuV b6.03_2015
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.76 (2015-08-06), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated ALAC decoder to refalac v1.47 (2015-02-15), based on reference implementation by Apple
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.16 (2015-03-24), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated WavPack decoder to v4.75.0 (2015-05-25), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Fixed potential deadlock in Cue Sheet import dialog when "Browse..." button is clicked
* Fixed function to restore the default Temp folder, if custom Temp folder doesn't exist anymore
* Enable the embedding of cover artwork for Opus encoder (opusenc), using the --picture option
* Some installer improvements have been implemented (especially in "update" mode)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 18th October 2015 at 16:00.
Old 17th October 2015, 16:25   #1290  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

hi Lord_Mulder,

I'm using the latest stable build v4.11 Final-1 build 1700. I'd like to request a feature for the usage with qaac. right now you can't use the --cvbr option of qaac which is actually the ABR method of this encoder (while --abr is basically a constant bitrate with small leeway). I tried to use the manual commandline option but since lamexp already uses --tvbr, --abr or --cbr I can't add --cvbr on top of it, the encoding process then quits with an error ("Encoding mode options are exclusive.")
Is there a solution for that problem or could you add another option (or replace --abr with --cvbr for qaac)?

and another thing.. do you plan to add lossyflac to the encoder selection? I would love to see that addition.

ps: thanks for the tool and the work you put into it. it's really useful and convenient
Sp00kyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 16:29   #1291  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Adding yet another (ABR) bitrate mode seems difficult, as QAAC would really be the only encoder to which this mode applies. I see two options:

1. Generally make "ABR" synonymous for "--cvbr" instead of "--abr", when it comes to QAAC.
2. Add an option to the advanced options dialog, which makes QAAC use "--cvbr" instead of "--abr" in "ABR" mode.

I need to think about it, but if "--cvbr" is considered the "actual ABR method", is there any reason to prefer "--abr" over "--cvbr" ???
Old 17th October 2015, 16:53   #1292  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

Quote:
I need to think about it, but if "--cvbr" is considered the "actual ABR method", is there any reason to prefer "--abr" over "--cvbr" ???
I don't really know, I guess not. I could only imagine that it is useful for some really restrictive standalone player. but in that case one could use the actual constant bitrate method --cbr instead of --abr, there is not much of a difference between those two.
Old 18th October 2015, 16:01   #1293  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.12 RC-4

Quote:
* Fixed parsing of command-line parameters, regression in MUtilities library (LameXP v4.12 RC-1)
* QAAC encoder is now using --cvbr instead of --abr when "ABR" mode is selected

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 23rd October 2015 at 21:30.
Old 19th October 2015, 12:32   #1294  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

works fine, thx for the quick update. I did a little search on that matter and found some official apple documentation about the different encoding modes:
https://developer.apple.com/library/...1-SUBSECTION11

this gives the following order for the bitrate variation (high to low):
--tvbr, --cvbr, --abr, --cbr

according to this document cvbr uses the bitrate setting as a lower limit. so I'm not sure which one should be the correct choice, maybe I misled you. in terms of hitting the target rate --abr is the appropriate choice. --cvbr allows more variance but definitely results in a higher bitrate on average than the user selection. it's your decision in the end but I think regarding the user expection for the setting "average bitrate" the option --abr should be prefered (or you add a switch to the advanced settings like you suggested).

sorry for the confusion but hopefully I shed some light on qaac's encoding options.

Last edited by Sp00kyFox; 19th October 2015 at 12:48.
Old 20th October 2015, 05:41   #1295  |  Link
Chetwood

So, I tested LameXP the other day, uninstalled it but the context menu entries in explorer remained. What gives?

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 21:33   #1296  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetwood View Post
So, I tested LameXP the other day, uninstalled it but the context menu entries in explorer remained. What gives?
Actually the logic to create or to remove the Shell Integration is in the LameXP main program, not in the (Un)Installer, which allows the user to enable/disable the Shell Integration at any time from the LameXP options.

This code is surprisingly complex, because the way how Windows manages file associations is surprisingly complex — file extensions are registered to file types and shell operations are registered to file types, so we need to figure out all file types to which at least one "supported" file extension is registered and then we must register our operation to each of these types (removing the Shell Integration requires the inverse process) — so I have no plans to replicate this code in the Uninstaller.

Instead I have now added a new "--uninstall" switch to the LameXP main program, which will be called by the Uninstaller, in order to remove the Shell Integration. Please try again with this test build:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/muld...5.exe/download

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 20th October 2015 at 21:39.
Old 21st October 2015, 05:46   #1297  |  Link
Chetwood

Thanks, but I've already removed them manually and it looks like I'm gonna stick with Foobar cause it also converts FLAC.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 21:32   #1298  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.12 has been released!
https://github.com/lordmulder/LameXP/releases/latest

Quote:
Changes between v4.11 and v4.12 [2015-10-23]:
* Added support for building LameXP and MUtilities with Visual Studio 2015
* Fixed parsing of command-line parameters, regression in MUtilities library (LameXP v4.12 RC-1)
* QAAC encoder is now using --cvbr instead of --abr when "ABR" mode is selected
* Updated language files (big thank-you to all contributors !!!)
Old 24th October 2015, 07:53   #1299  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetwood View Post
Thanks, but I've already removed them manually and it looks like I'm gonna stick with Foobar cause it also converts FLAC.
Sorry, am I missing something? LameXP has FLAC support since quite some time...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 07:57   #1300  |  Link
manolito

Thanks LoRd_MuldeR for the new stable version...

Works well on my ancient computer, even feels a little faster than the previous version.

One small cosmetic bug I found:
When converting to the APE format and having MetaData unchecked, LameXP still runs its tagger app after the conversion and finishes with an error (at least one tag must be specified). The converted file is perfect, though.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis