Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 15th May 2022, 13:36   #1  |  Link
alexflin

DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 from other languages

Maybe this is a secret, but I wonder how people get 7.1 audio in the native language when the source doesn't exist, I thought I could make a demux of dolby atmos 7.1 from the english file in wavs and then make a demux of ac3 in my language in wavs and create with the two tracks that were missing a 7.1, but it is not like that since those two tracks may have foreign audio and not in my language, so my question is if anyone knows or has an idea of ​​what's the trick to transform a 5.1 into 7.1 dts

Thanks.
alexflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2022, 05:44   #2  |  Link
tebasuna51

It is not a secret, it is a edit hard work and have sense only when the english track have better quality than native language:

Take the english 7.1 wav's and replace all the english dialogs with the equivalents in the native language.
Not always is easy and not always the output sound good.

The easy way, when both tracks have the same quality, is play the 5.1 in a 7.1 system, the AVR make the upmix automatically.
Old 17th May 2022, 01:49   #3  |  Link
alexflin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
It is not a secret, it is a edit hard work and have sense only when the english track have better quality than native language:

Take the english 7.1 wav's and replace all the english dialogs with the equivalents in the native language.
Not always is easy and not always the output sound good.

The easy way, when both tracks have the same quality, is play the 5.1 in a 7.1 system, the AVR make the upmix automatically.
What I did was demux the Dolby atmos track and get all 8 channels in wav.

Then I did the same with the track in Spanish but the track is 5.1, so I got 6 wavs, then in DTS-HD Master Audio I added the tracks in Spanish and the other 2 tracks from the Dolby Atmos, but these tracks have backgrounds dialogs in English, so it's a mystery for my to know how to approach this problem.
Old 17th May 2022, 07:10   #4  |  Link
tebasuna51

The mystery is the "edit hard work" in Audacity (or other audio editor) replacing english dialogs with equivalent native dialogs in all wavs not only the two extra channels.

Add the two extra english channels, even without backgrounds dialogs in English, is a bad idea because async issues.
Let your AVR upmix the 5.1 to 7.1
Or duplicate the surround channels with:

SL' = 0.7*SL
SR' = 0.7*SR
BL' = 0.7*SL
BR' = 0.7*SR

if you want waste time and space to obtain the same 2D surround.

My recomendation is buy an AVR + speakers 5/2.1 Atmos and enjoy the 3D surround instead the usseless 2D 7.1 absolutly equivalent to 2D 5.1
Old 18th May 2022, 08:16   #5  |  Link
junh1024

5.1 surround to 7.1 surround is a small gain and unless you know what you're doing you might introduce more problems when you're combining multiple sources. The side and back surround channels in commercial soundtrack are also very similar anyway most of the time.

I second the recommendation by tebasuna to have your AVR upscale 5.1 surround to 7.1 surround.
junh1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2022, 09:25   #6  |  Link
alexflin

I don't have the option to buy a new AVR I have an LG SN11RG that it's a fantastic soundbar with Dolby Atmos DTS:X and yes, I can activate the Neural X on DTS sound and it makes a lovely surround like atmos but only works with DTS sound and not all the movies that I have purchased has DTS so my idea was to convert some movies to 7.1 as they do on some internet sites but I see that it is pretty complicated and there is not much information about it.
Old 18th May 2022, 09:49   #7  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexflin View Post
...I have an LG SN11RG that it's a fantastic soundbar ... so my idea was to convert some movies to 7.1
Convert 2D 5.1 to 2D 7.1 is usseless, much more to be played in a soundbar. Please let original source as is.
Old 19th May 2022, 04:37   #8  |  Link
junh1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexflin View Post
I have an LG SN11RG that it's a fantastic soundbar with Dolby Atmos DTS:X and yes, I can activate the Neural X on DTS sound and it makes a lovely surround like atmos but only works with DTS sound and not all the movies that I have purchased has DTS so my idea was to convert some movies to 7.1 as they do on some internet sites but I see that it is pretty complicated and there is not much information about it.
DTS needn't be 71. You can convert AC3 51 to DTS 51 to satisfy your NX function, using free software (YMMV), then your soundbar can upscale DTS 51 to NX 714.
Old 19th May 2022, 13:49   #9  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by junh1024 View Post
... convert AC3 51 to DTS 51 ...
That is new, it is a joke?
Old 20th May 2022, 05:42   #10  |  Link
junh1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
That is new, it is a joke?
No, due to the Dolby AVR mandate of 2018 you can't cross-upmix from different vendors. AKA you can't upmix Dolby AC3 to DTS NX, or DTS to DSU. So to upmix AC3 to NX, you must convert to DTS.

This is why the OP is mentioning about DTS 71 from AC3.
Old 20th May 2022, 06:21   #11  |  Link
oniiz86

Quote:
No, due to the Dolby AVR mandate of 2018 you can't cross-upmix from different vendors. AKA you can't upmix Dolby AC3 to DTS NX, or DTS to DSU. So to upmix AC3 to NX, you must convert to DTS.

This is why the OP is mentioning about DTS 71 from AC3.
That Dolby mandate has been abolished for some time now, thankfully that is no longer a problem but frustratingly some AVR manufacturers most notably Yamaha still prohibit cross-format upmixing on their latest models
oniiz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2022, 07:41   #12  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Confirmated, it is a joke. Please guys don't buy that kind of hardware players.